Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
Edit #1:
UPDATE = Fifth message sent. See it on page 4.
Sample Sound recordings from Rupert Buttermilk and Spazdsp posted on page 4 as well

Edit #2:
UPDATE = Sixth message sent. See on page 5.
First generation of audio message can be found on page 5.
See the booksafe! - page 5.
Holy Carp I forgot to mention SneakyCracker made the code into a FONT see on page 3.

Edit #3:
UPDATE = Seventh message sent. See on page 6.

Edit #4:
UPDATE = Finished Audio message on page 7, Super Secret Website link found on page 7.

EDIT #5:
UPDATE - Eighth message telling Coop where to find the website, but no PW or Username on page 7
Message nine telling him where to find the lockbox, pictures of the lockbox, as well as pictures of the dig, the CD, Puzzle piece #1 all on page 8.

EDIT #6:
UPDATE - Message 10 on page 8, Message 11 & 12 on page 9,
Message 13, which leads us to the Stop Sign, The Top Secret Document (Thanks Pablo Bluth), the Welcome Sign, and the Three Mysterious Numbers, all on page 9

EDIT #7
UPDATE - Next message and a link to the VIDEO CLUE as well as lockbox #2 and second puzzle peice all on page 10

EDIT #8
UPDATE - See the link to the Morse Code message on page 11! See the Final message on page 11! See the CONCLUSION of the mission with pictures on page 11 !!!

EDIT #9
UPDATE - Thread Delivers on page 12.
----------------------------------------

My son loves to take the long walk to the mailbox with me. He likes to carry back the junkmail and look through catalogs and ask me about the multitudes of stuff I seem to get, and he always wonders why I’m such a popular guy to get so much mail, when he gets nothing. (it’s 70% junk, 30% bills believe me.)

I decided the other day to go ahead and send him a letter. The thing is, getting a letter from his dad, from his house, isn’t really all that big a deal as far as things go, so why not make things a bit fun for him?

Also …its gotta be fun to mess with a kid’s head.

I remembered reading one particular strip in the Calvin and Hobbes series where Calvin was getting “mystery” letters. Calvin is so enthralled by this he yells to his mom; “This is real secret agent stuff...it's so cool, I have to go to the bathroom!” I thought I could do something like that for my eight year old, Cooper. …Maybe something in a strange-alien-secret agent-mystery code. Anyway, I thought I’d let you guys have the fun of decoding too. After all, the difference in most goons and an eight year old can’t really be that much, right?

I got on MSPaint and designed a code. (earlier the other day I noticed it looks curiously like the Lego Bionicle Code – wish I had known about that, I could have saved myself a few hours)

So Thursday he was very excited to get this in the mail:

no return address, … I advised him he might hang on to it to see if it may be useful in case he got some other gibberish mail, but I also told him it was probably an advertisement or a letter meant for someone else and maybe he got it by mistake.
The next day he received this message (again, no return address)

Oh man o man, what have I done? I’m not sure what I’ve started here. You can guess what we talked about all weekend. Who is sending these? Maybe it’s someone who is in trouble and needs my help- maybe its some kind of test- maybe it’s a new way people are writing letters these days-
I just told him it’s probably a publicity stunt for a cereal company or something and don’t worry about it. He asked me; “then how do they know my name?” “ahhh yes. …Very curious.”

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

All Saturday morning his nose was glued to the window watching for the mail truck. He wasn’t disappointed.

And for you goons I’ll go ahead and include today’s delivery as well:

Now what? Hmmm what to do next? Another website? Something buried under the tire swing?

The thing is, I’m not really sure what we’re going after. I mean, I really am just making this up as I go. Any help from you really creative people (I myself am just faking creativity) will be applied. Just keep in mind it’s a kid. “tell him to look up tubgirl.com” and other responses are anticipated, but will be regarded as just unfunny. I do not want to turn this into a photoshop thread where we send a kid to the pedophile underground with our cleverness. I jus wanna throw some effort after foolishness is all.

Give me a hand and I’ll keep posting the updates as the merriment continues.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Stalinist Leanings posted:

first person to say anything about ovaltine is a huge human being

wait thats not in my original messa....

man,
you made me wake up the whole house and I spit Dr. Pepper out my nose.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Colbear posted:

Yeah, if you have a yard, bury a treasure for him to find.

It looks like something buried is the way to go here. A buried or hidden surprise would be a cool final goal.
I just now need some interesting ways to get him there. The idea of actually leading him to other messages that might be placed elsewhere is a great idea! A letter that leads him to a note buried in the park. I haven't thought of that.

Also, thanks for the compliments! I didn't expect that.

Ramen Pride! posted:

If your kid likes decrypting this sort of stuff, pick up the Artemis Fowl line of books for him by Eoin Colfer.

Oh, very cool! After all this is over he will defiantly have that book in his hands! Thank you!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Throw him a curveball now that he is comfortable with the code. Make him one that has all the characters flipped so hopefully he figures out that he needs to read it in a mirror.

THIS will be used in the next message. Great idea!

pandafan posted:

You should make the treasure a puppy or kitten.

Well, he DOES want a cat. We are planning on getting him one sometime soon, so maybe we can incorporate it into this thing. If anyone has decoded the messages you can see I have started with definite feline references...

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

do not bury a puppy or a kitten

Colbear posted:

Don't bury a living animal unless you want it to rapidly stop living.

Burying The Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z6foGxfFc

Mrs. Conclusion (Chapman): Hello, Mrs. Premise.

Mrs. Premise (Cleese): Hello, Mrs. Conclusion.

Conclusion: Busy Day?

Premise: Busy? I just spent four hours burying the cat.

Conclusion: *Four hours* to bury a cat?

Premise: Yes - it wouldn't keep still.

Conclusion: Oh - it wasn't dead, then?

Premise: No, no - but it's not at all well, so as we were going to be on the safe side.

Conclusion: Quite right - you don't want to come back from Sorrento to a dead cat. It'd be so anticlimactic. Yes, kill it now, that's what I say. We're going to have to have our budgie put down.

Premise: Really - is it very old?

Conclusion: No, we just don't like it. We're going to take it to the vet tomorrow.

Premise: Tell me, how do they put budgies down, then?

Conclusion: Well, it's funny you should ask that, because I've just been reading a great big book about how to put your budgie down, and apparently you can either hit them with the book, or you can shoot them just there, just above the beak.

Premise: Just there? Well, well, well. 'Course, Mrs Essence flushed hers down the loo.

Conclusion: No, you shouldn't do that - no, that's dangerous. They *breed* in the *sewers*!

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 8, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

NonConformistBurger posted:

I am not trying to sound like a pedantic jerk, but I got a bit confused with those things and proper orthography would make it more official-looking.

Yeah, it's hard to proof read in code. You get towards the end and you really don't wanna put anymore time into it.
I found myself jus leaving the things you mentioned for the funny enqrish factor.
(missed the preposition)

I always check to make sure my participle doesn't dangle though.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Akumu posted:

If you're just writing the messages plain jane, you could always make a font out of your code. Then you could just type the messages normally and convert it to the code font once you're done.

This can be done? Speak truth and teach us o wise mage.
cutting and pasting to MSWord gets tedious.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

AceClown posted:

Buy a crappy old book and hollow the middle out and put an old cassette tape in there.

On the tape have the voice (use a changer program) say "NUMBERS EQUAL LETTERS" then have the voice read out strings of numbers, so "hello" would be "8,5,12,12,15,BREAK"

Then mail the book to him.

Holy Carp You are beautiful.
Anyone know a "HOW TO" on hollowing out a book?

also, if anyone has time on their hands and wants something to do, you want to make the code into a font? I'm not sure I'm savy enough but I plan to try it later today at work. I wonder if I could "Plant" the book in our local library and send him there to look for it. I guess i'd have to do it pretty close to the time he goes though, or some 70 year old man will find it and be thinking he'd discovered some Russian spy ring.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

url posted:

If your struggling to copy paste the images into word, you could make a webpage.
I'd suggest you build a dirty macro in word.

If making a Font doesn't work, I'll try this. Not sure if I have the skill/brains though. I know just enough MSWord to get what I need done. Never bothered learning the other bells and whistles

Ericcorp posted:

1) Get an old book from a library book sale
2) Get a dremel
3) Cut hole with dremel

I have a Dremel and some cutting discs. I can do this.

Ericcorp posted:

I run an test asterisk PBX at my house. If you were to register a SIP hosting account, it could point to my PBX, and I could make a sort of spy hotline for him if you'd like.

Wow! many thanks! This might fall into the realm of impressing a girlfriend and leading her to a hidden engagement ring, or maybe plane tickets to Hawaii. I think it might be a bit beyond the eight year old category. Nevertheless it's an awesome suggestion and offer!

victorious posted:

This reminds me of a book I used to love when I was in primary school (mid-'90s): Alvin's Secret Code by Clifford B. Hicks.

Oh man I have to get this book too. He loves to read. This is getting expensive. BTW, for some of you guys on page one, forget the Wii. I am still recovering from Christmas! It was a pretty cool idea though but a bit beyond my reach at this point.

genesplicer posted:

Years ago I designed an archaeological dig for my 7th graders. I designed the entire extinct culture, all the artifacts, everything. I also designed a written language, much like the one you did, and wrote a holy book for the people. 30 pages, single spaced, Arial 12 pt.

That sounds like you must have put hours and hours into that project. I know because of the obscene amount of time it takes me to come up with one note.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Here's the Lego Bionicle code that looks strikingly similar to mine. Even some of the symbols are the same.

O well, I guess a lot of ideas you have, someone has thought of before. This is kinda strange though. Maybe I saw it on a commercial or something and filed it away in my mind as a neat alphabet.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

SneakyCracker posted:

Bantaras - For you, I have created a True Type Font!

http://www.sneeko.net/files/CircleCodeTTF.zip

Download! Enjoy! :c00l:

(note: you had no letter Z in your original code cypher - I created one for you.)

Holy CARP! I was jus doin this when I happened to refresh the thread. ( i made it to the letter D!) That font program isn't too bad once you read the instructions -- But many THANKS! I'll load yours up now.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

SneakyCracker:

whistlebritches posted:

Building a voice module sounds a little overly-complicated. Type whatever you want into notepad, then click start --> run --> and type "narrator". It will read whatever you've got on the screen in a super awesome sounding computer voice and you can just record that straight onto tape.

I guy a few post up (Rupert?) offered to do the recording for me. I'm not so sure I could figure out how to record the voice as an MP3. I know how to do it from an in-line mike.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Let me know. I could even post a sample.

Please do! Can you make it sound far away and static-ey?

All Hat No Cattle posted:

Let his "final package" be a certificate to adopt a pet from the SPCA. (You can make your own or get one from them.) Package it like a "Please rescue me" message or something, or a "My mission is over, I'm ready for pick up, Agent Cooper!" Then he can go in and use his logic to figure out which cat is "his" and bring him home.

Wow, I'm glad I posted this thread. This is good.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

I just got home from work and not much time to post any information at the moment. However, I thought you guys would like a picture or two of our operative in the field:

Will post more tonight about the Book Safe, Erie Number Station Type Recordings, and Mysterious Keys.

I'll try to reply to as many of your responses as I can.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Ok, here is the fifth message. It went in the mail today and should arrive tomorrow.

which means SO FAR we have the message:

go to the box behind.....

Now that everyone is in bed I am working on the Book Safe and should be able to post some pics a bit later if all goes well.

by the way the sample sound recordings were better than expected and I have finally figured out just how it's gonna fit in.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

I went to the Goodwill store in town and bought this book for $1. It's The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carr'e. I sure hope it's not a good book. I hate to ruin books.

I picked it because it had a great title. Also, being black and sinister helps too.

I wanted to show you guys a completed Book Safe, but the wallpaper glue I used (as per instructions thru one of the links in this thread) hasn’t dried yet and so I haven’t even begun the cutting. Also, sorry for the low quality pic. My digital cam went out on me last week and I bought this $20 piece of crap today just for the joy of this thread. : )

The last message posted above bought me some time, and I'm gonna need it. I've decided to incorporate as many of your ideas as I can.

1. The letters will eventually lead Cooper to the Library where he finds the book safe.
2. In the book safe is a key, not an audio tape.
3. Another message leads him to a locked box that will be buried (in the park maybe?)
4. The box contains the audio (Tape? CD?)
5. The audio CD instructs him how to get the first piece of a puzzle (with another note)
6. Eventually the pieces of the puzzle will come together to form a map.
7. The map leads him to the rescue of a cat from enemy hands (coupon for a kittie from the shelter?)

At least that’s the direction we are headed in for now. This is gonna take some doin. I appreciate the help with the audio, and I have no idea how I’m gonna do a map, also some of the messages will be invisible, burned, old etc.
Should be fun!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Baggins posted:

Leave the book with the librarian and cue him/her in on it. Tell the kid it's a SPECIAL book, and you can't just find it on the shelves.

I thought about this, but the two local Librarians we have would absolutely go nuts if I handed them a mutilated book. I think my best bet is to hide it on the shelves somewhere while mom has him distracted.

This is just something quick I whipped up. If it's too creepy, or you want anything changed, let me know.
this is a test : )

Rupert
This is awesome. I like the bit of distortion in your voice. Are you sure you aren’t a numbers station operator? Only suggestion I would have is a little less volume in your voice, but other than that it’s perfect.

spazdsp posted:

okay all I have a rough message up now. go mp3. I dont know how to do the nifty audio link logo the other guy did.

http://www.greedmachine.net/sa/secret.mp3

I can change it on the fly so if you have suggestions go to town.
we will contact you soon agent :)

Spazdsp
This sounds great. I love it. Do you have a way to add some static in the background? It would make it sound more retro. That's the only thing I would add. The only thing that might make it sound a bit over the top is a bit of a gurgling (aqua?) noise I heard from time to time, but really it might have been my imagination.

How about if we have Rupert do the voice recording and post the mp3 here in the thread.
Then I was thinking Spazdsp could take it and work some of his magic on it. The end result would be posted here for all to enjoy, and both of you guys would have a hand in it.

Just that fact that you have offered blows me away. This is really cool of you guys

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

spazdsp posted:

Okay I dont feel like being productive at work so I made one rough cut of a bed. It is very short, but that is only because this stuff cant be fun to listen to for several minutes with out audible numbers. I grabbed most of the audio from real number stations, and buried the messages. https://www.greedmachine.net/sa/bed.mp3

Holy CARP that is excellent!

It might be a bit before I can get you the code I want to record. The reason is, I was thinking of using something different than a simple numbers code. I got this idea from reading Red Dragon the prequel to the Silence of the Lambs. The bad guy was communicating with Hannibal Lector while he was in prison by using a Book Code

Basically, an agreed upon book is used, and the code is two numbers for each word. The page number and where the word appears on the page. Say 46-25 means page 46, 25th word.

I was thinking of using this book found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0757305733/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

but man it would require a heck of a lot of searching for the right words, then a lot of counting, and also I’d have to wait for the book to arrive after ordering it. So I haven’t decided yet.
Maybe I'll see what the library has…

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

I have decided to drop the book code. I went to the Library and checked out a big book on cats, but the process of picking out words and counting them is enough to drive me crazy. We'll just use the number code.

Ok Rupert, this is for you to record. Don't worry about any instructions in the recording. I'll mail a note.

8-5-12-12-15/ 9-6/ 15-15-21/ 8-1-22-5/
7-15-20-20-5-14/ 20-8-9-19/ 6-1-18/ 23-5/
11-14-15-23/ 23-5/ 3-1-14/ 20-18-21-19-20/
25-15-21/

20-8-5/ 14-5-24-20/ 20-1-19-11/ 9-19/ 1/
16-21-26-26-12-5-18/ 25-15-21/ 23-9-12-12/
6-9-14-4/ 1-14/ 9-20-5-13/ 2-21-18-9-5-4/
21-14-4-5-18/ 20-8-5/ 20-18-1-19-8/ 3-1-14/
9-14/ 20-8-5/ 15-12-4/ 16-1-18-11/
21-19-5-2-1-12-12/ 6-9-5-12-4

7-15-15-4/ 12-21-3-11

HELLO IF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR
WE KNOW WE CAN TRUST YOU THE NEXT TASK IS
A PUZZLER YOU WILL FIND AN ITEM BURIED UNDER
THE TRASH CAN IN THE OLD PARK BASEBALL FIELD
GOOD LUCK

Anyone wanna check my math? 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, etc.

EDIT: see! I told ya I needed someone to check it! 21 should be 2-1 in the second line up from bottom
THANX Rupert

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 10, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Throw him a curveball now that he is comfortable with the code. Make him one that has all the characters flipped so hopefully he figures out that he needs to read it in a mirror.

Bantaras posted:

THIS will be used in the next message. Great idea!

I forgot to take a moment and explain why I didn't follow through on your idea Cowofwar. The symbols are such that when inverted, they look strikingly similar to the way they do when normal. Also, inverting the letters or changing the postiion some way is how I made other letters in the alphabet.
I couldn't make it work.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

HOLY CARP
that is the coolest thing!

Oh, and at the beginning of BASEBALL, you had written 21 and not 2 1. I originally recorded it like that, and was listening back and reading the translation, and found that error,

After writing all those numbers i kinda got a bit dyslexic. Thanks for spotting the error. Dang that is an awful lot of numbers - Do you think we should condense the message?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Parahexavoctal posted:

Are you sure you can dig there without getting in trouble?

Are you sure he can dig there without getting in trouble?

Nope & Nope.
The park is all but abandoned, and the baseball diamond hasn't been played on in years so I'm thinking its a safe risk.
(small rural town that is just getting smaller)

not sure what I'm teaching my kid though...

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 10, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Here is the next installment that Cooper should get in the mail tomorrow:

For those of us tiring of decoding:
COOPER
Do not let these messages get into
enemy hands you are doing great so far
i-love-cats.com get the third word in
the second link on left
wikipedia.com search for Russian Blue
get the fourth word from the end that
is in the line under the picture

And this will ultimately bring us to:

GO TO THE BOX BEHIND YOUR OLD...

Also,
I thought you guys would like to see the Book Safe:

The stoopid wallpaper glue was a waste of time and money. I just ended up painting the sides with regular craft glue. It worked fine and dried faster too.

This will be placed in the Library; the key is to a box containing the almost finished audio. We're still a few days away from the Library though. After that things go too fast to prepare.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

SeaBass posted:

I'm sure you're having as much fun as he is :)

Yeah, My wife keeps saying that.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Was your son into codes, and puzzles before you started with this? Or is this something you started?

not really, although he had a treasure hunt for his 5th birthday that his mom set up for the whole birthday party gang. She bought little treasure chests and chocolate gold coins and everything.
He actually had a bit of trouble with this last letter. It was the "Russian Blue" clue. I think I might have been a little vague about where the word was located.

That wiki page gets edited every few days so you might want to watch it and make sure it doesn't change.

You're exactly right. That's why I wait till the night before to make his coded letter. I'm gonna try to stay away from the Wiki from now on.

Lyndo posted:

Does he have a dog?

A murder mystery!! hmm... that may be an idea for another thread.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

spazdsp posted:

Okay here is what I submit as the bed for the audio. If you want anything changed let me know.

ahh you were asking me? sorry i thought you were talking to Rupert

Spazdsp,

Is there any chance of losing the woman's voice counting in the background? I'm afraid with Rupert's voice being a bit muffled we might lose some of the numbers and it might be a bit 'busy' for a kid.
Other than that it's jus fine.

I'd like to see someone else's opinon if they've got one. Jus to clarify.

EDIT:
Also, would anyone be interested in hosting a one page website? I could link to it with http://tinyurl.com/. I was thinking of having a webpage explaining why this agency is using operatives in the field saving homeless kitties and why things must be done in secret. Somewhere in the treasure hunt this URL could be revealed.

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 11, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

^^^^
it's weird that you posted that above, cause I'm thinking about URLs right now. (see my post above in the Edit)

Anyway the Wikipedia info has served its purpose and we won't be using that source anymore for text information. We got through it without any goons going to the wiki and changing the desired information to "DONGS LOL" or something : ) .

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

spazdsp posted:

more sound goodness. I made the changes you wanted, I removed both the german and english speaking. The message should begin around 14 seconds into the audio.
http://www.greedmachine.net/sa/nocounting%20no%20spinning.mp3
and with the cool spinning effect for good measure
http://www.greedmachine.net/sa/nocounting%20spinning.mp3

spazdsp,
Either one of these would work! awsome.

I'll put some text together for the webpage and post it here. I got a few pictures picked out as well. Cooper will get a TinyUrl to direct him to the site.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Here is Message #7 that he will get tomorrow:

For those of you tired of decoding:
COOPER
READ GREEN EGGS AND HAM
ON PAGE TWENTY GET THE EIGHTH WORD
THIS IS THE LAST PART OF STAGE ONE
STAGE TWO BEGINS WITH THE NEXT CLUE

Which ultimately gives us:
GO TO THE BOX BEHIND YOUR OLD HOUSE

At the location he has been directed to he will get message #8:

COOPER
WELCOME TO STAGE TWO
GO TO THE LIBRARY ON MONDAY WALK TO
THE BACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE LOOK FOR
THE PAINTING OF A COWBOY ON
HIS HORSE GET THE BOOK ON THE VERY
BOTTOM SHELF DIRECTLY UNDER THE
PAINTING
IT IS CALLED THE SECRET PILGRIM
DO NOT CHECK IT OUT IT IS YOURS
DO NOT OPEN IT UNTIL YOU GET OUT OF
THE BUILDING

And with that, I've bought me some time until Monday :)

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 11, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Here is the box containing the instructions to go to the Library on Monday. It is hidden in a worn out boat house, behind the home we used to live in, which is nearby:

btw, I couldn't stop myself from posting a message as a label on the box:

FOR COOPER ONLY
DO NOT LET THIS GET
INTO THE WRONG HANDS
WE HELP THE HELPLESS

Found a cool kittie font to add an image here and there for more mystery: http://www.moggies.co.uk/catfonts.html

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 11, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

There ya go, man. Sorry for the delay. And thanks spazdsp for that wonderful ending. Seriously, everyone skip ahead to that part. I actually really love it.

All I can say is WOW.
This is waaaaay better than expected. Many Thanks Rupert! and many thanks to you too Spazdsp!

Hotdog Farmer posted:

If you wanna use my site, it's got kind of an ominous name to it

https://www.endofman.org if not, that's okay.. But I can do pretty much anything within a few moments. and it'll keep it better than a tinyurl

Thats great!
Do you want me to post the contents here or do you have a temporary email addy I can send it to ?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Pinbacker posted:

Dude, I'm sure the librarians will be more than happy to help you out,

Iunnrais posted:

Speaking as a sometimes librarian myself, I can't imagine the librarian that wouldn't get a kick out of this

I'd rather other folks remain out of it to keep up the mystery. I’m pretty sure the book wouldn't be noticed, especially if i can get his mom to take him in the Library moments after I leave. But then again, ...Murphy's Law has me worried.

perceptual_set posted:

Is he still loving the hell out of this?

Well, he was! ...up until the last note. I made a few mistakes.
First, I made the note too long. He got a bit frustrated halfway through. It was turning into Work instead of Fun. I told him to put it down and we could decode the rest later.
Second, The nature of the clue's sentence made it sound like the object of all of this would be revealed with what was in the box. Finding another note prolonging the gratification added a bit more frustration.
Third, when dealing with kids, "Wait until Monday" is really not a good idea. :)

TwystNeko posted:

As for websites, I have several domains that you can use - hosting a single page is easy, and I can toss up a subdomain in about 2 minutes.

Can I email the Info to you from your profile?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

TwystNeko posted:

Sure, no problem.

The Webpage info has been sent through the email link in your profile. Feel free to get creative. I hope the links to the pictures work.
I know the paragraphs are short, but I had to keep it simple so he doesn't lose intrest. Too much to read and the audience is lost.

MANY THANKS!

We'll post the result here and get some ideas on how we should tweak it.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

TwystNeko posted:

Did you want a particular website for it to be on? Or maybe grab a .info domain? like DepartmentOfSecretStuff.info?

Couple of other ideas: secretspies.info, ouragentsonly.info - if you want one, let me know and I'll snag it. :D

Also, I have AIM and MSN, both with this username - so if you want to contact me that way, go ahead.

You don't hafta spend $3. It's ok to use one of yours if you want. I'll jus let you use your own discretion on which one.

Stabitha posted:

I'm always bringing my own books in and out of libraries and no one cares. If it doesn't have a cataloging number on it or a barcode for the library it won't set off any alarms when he leaves and the librarian won't even know he has it especially if he puts it in a bag or backpack before he leaves.

This is my line of thinking. Hope it works.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Axiem posted:

I assume your wife knows about it; is she also aware that a cat's going to come out of it? Is she okay with this?

Yeah, she's cool. We were planning to get a cat for some time now, and Cooper has been asking for one for years. I need to get his DNA checked to make sure he is my kid cause actually, ...I'm a Dog person!

Axiem posted:

Also, do you ever intend on telling your son that it was you who sent the messages? Do you think he already knows? When will you let him know if he doesn't?

Well, he's a very smart kid (every parent thinks that don't they?) He already has the code pretty much memorized and doesn't even use the key much. I'm pretty sure he'll figgure it out, but If he doesn't I think I will tell him once the magic of the whole thing has worn off. As of now, in the present, he has no idea.

Axiem posted:

And finally, when the heck do you find the time to do all this stuff without him finding out?

Most of the stuff is done after he falls asleep. I manage my own business and we're in the slow season right now so I have some free time. I even found time to make him a cat keychain for the key that will be placed in the book safe on Monday. Made it out of Rosewood. :) To be honest I have let a few things slide. Tax day is Monday here in the states (shiver).

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

TwystNeko posted:

Alrighty. Here's the quick site: http://agents.twystneko.com (moved to the real server now)

Holy Carp! Very Nice!
You really are good at Web design. I hope some Goons might hire you for their own projects after seeing some of your work.

Lets see if any of the forum readers have any suggustions to make it more secret agent-ey

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Ulthar posted:

... I write fiction all the time, I could write some short for him. Of course, I would write it in plain text - it would probably be super long to decode.

I think a story about another agent fighting the forces of cruelty to kittiedom would be very cool and most appropriate. Maybe post it here for all to take a look at or maybe post a link to it?

All Hat No Cattle posted:

Bantaras, if I can host anything for you, I have a domain that's actually cat related. I have nothing on the front page right now, so you could even have that to yourself. I'd be happy to help where I can, this is just so awesome.

You might contact TwystNeko and see if you guys could work something out. He's already planning to host the web page on his site though.

---------------
For all of you guys offering to help, at first there were suggestions to have a Wii at the end of the quest. It actually made me consider setting up a paypal account that you could donate to and make it happen. However, that really sounds selfish and self serving, so what are your thoughts of setting up a way to donate to the Humane Society or maybe the SPCA in Cooper's name?

I would suggest another Goon handling this so I'm not accused of stealing all the money and running to Albuquerque or something.

Of course I may be really overestimating the popularity of this project and the number of Goons that want to get involved. If this suggestion is inappropriate I apologize.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

TwystNeko posted:

well, I'm not all "omg my design, my site" about it. :D If the cat-themed domain is better, go for it (I think it's better than just a subdomain, myself). So I've zipped up the entire site, and it's here: http://twysted.net:85/cooper/cooper.zip - just unzip it to whereever you want it, and you're good to go!
What do think All Hat No Cattle ?

brylcreem posted:

Wait, what?! :wth:
I'm sure he was only joking.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just another one to echo what a cool thing this is.

I also liked the idea suggested a few pages back about a message accepting him in to a spy organisation.

Take a look at the website TwystNeko posted above. (here's a link: http://agents.twystneko.com) With this site I was trying to put into play some of the very things you suggested. In some secret message in the next few days he will be directed there.

Do you think it needs more work?

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

For the Update on the first page:

Here is the finished audio from Rupert Buttermilk and Spazdsp that will burned on CD and be placed in the buried locked box:

Here is the website for the induction into the Secret Agent Society (we still need a cool acronym name):
http://agents.twystneko.com
Thanks TwystNeko!

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 13, 2008