Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my philosophy is unless its pure function like a germanium fuzz face that really likes to see signal first, theres really no right or wrong order, just right or wrong to your own ears, which is part of the joy of the hobby. i need to get into synths bc i tweak pedal knobs more than play guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, in hindsight:

I'll add an addendum to the video.

Using Tuner\Noise Gate last works perfectly well for my setup, but in the context of the video, it probably is far better advice generally speaking for the Noise Gate and Tuner to be first in a pedalboard.

I get away with having them last and they suit my personal setup better being at the end of the pedalboard, but I forgot that not everybody lives in my own little world!

Kvlt! posted:

my philosophy is unless its pure function like a germanium fuzz face that really likes to see signal first, theres really no right or wrong order, just right or wrong to your own ears, which is part of the joy of the hobby. i need to get into synths bc i tweak pedal knobs more than play guitar

But this is KINDA why I'll still leave what I originally said in the video. Over time, as you become more familiar with your setup and your effects, you'll start to come up with your own methodology and setups which work for you and your setups, so I'll leave my original rant in the video to highlight this :)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh yeah that was in no way intended as a dig at your video, i really enjoyed it!!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Oh yeah totally. As long as you get the sound you want, the sky is the limit.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions though!

When you're doing a deep-dive video, it's easy to get lost in your own little world and forget about what's going to be better advice for everybody else ;)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I run my tuner first because I just want to use it to tune. Then I usually run all my dirt pedals in my noise gate loop so I can be silly with the amount of gain. If I'm running other pedals into my amp I'll put them in the loop too. When I use the FX loop I put the amp send to close the loop, then to all my other things like reverbs and whatnot.

Realistically I use a laptop and interface now so my signal chain is basically guitar to pedal board, with dirt in the noise gate, to interface.

I kind of miss having a real amp, but I never had the space or opportunities to use them, so oh well.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah the amount of posts on pedal groups I see that are like "I have two pedals, what's the SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BIBLICALLY CORRECT order I have to put them in? I don't want to get arrested" is loving insane. And always followed up with two hundred posts below that are a mix of the following:

"if you don't use the same order as me you're amp will blow up and you're virginity will grow back"

"No if you don't use the opposite order your amp will blow up and your rear end will fall out"

"I don't use pedals at all because tone is on the fingers" - link to video of morbidly obese dude whose guitar sounds like poo poo

And

"I haven't tried either of those pedals, don't know what genre you play, your budget, location, anything at all really, but I read on the internet that both those pedals SUCK!!!!! You aren't a pro if you don't use" - link to this week's insanely overpriced boutique tubescreamer.

Fuckin guitar nerds man

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I always head compressor first? is that not a thing?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Depends what you're compressing!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Thats a thing but i always put my compressors last. Its all taste.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

It depends how you're using it. If it's like an always on subtle compression, I usually have it early. If I'm using it as more of a pronounced effect like with a dynacomp, I would put it later.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

It definitely can be! It depends what you use a compressor for.

If you're doing sorta funky stuff or you're a strat\tele player and you need to tame spiky transients and make things a bit more consistent, compressor first is perfect.

However, if you're a big user of drive pedals, I found that a compressor before drive usually strangled the drive pedal and killed a lot of the personality from the drive pedal. I like how a drive pedal tweaks the transient of a guitar signal, so I like the compresser after my drive pedals so that I keep that personality.

HOWEVER:
If Compressor first is absolutely winning for you, then hell yeah brother. Rock that compressor.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
When I was having an Andy Summers phase I really liked running a chorus into a mild overdrive. Gets that gritty New Wave sound.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

H13 posted:

However, if you're a big user of drive pedals, I found that a compressor before drive usually strangled the drive pedal and killed a lot of the personality from the drive pedal. I like how a drive pedal tweaks the transient of a guitar signal, so I like the compresser after my drive pedals so that I keep that personality.

Ohhhhh this explains a lot actually, loved the comp first clean but as soon as I turned my od on things went all fucky.

I love the sound of drive-compression (my favorite post drive pedal is usually another tubescreamer), so I never actually tried the comp after drive

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BDA posted:

When I was having an Andy Summers phase I really liked running a chorus into a mild overdrive. Gets that gritty New Wave sound.

I do stuff like this all the time patching modular but never w/ a guitar... I need to get weirder

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah I prefer compressor last. The drive and effects pedals get hit with all the dynamics, modify the tone, then the compressor flattens everything out before going to the amp. To me it sounds a lot more interesting than when I put the compressor first.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's the same logic of why I like my noise gate last.

I think a noise gate circuit is KINDA similar to a compressor, it just kills the signal after a certain threshold rather than...y'know. Compressing it.

I sorta go with the idea of making your signal be what you want it to be before squashing it or clipping it with a comp or noise gate.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

H13 posted:

I think a noise gate circuit is KINDA similar to a compressor, it just kills the signal after a certain threshold rather than...y'know. Compressing it.

Depending on the circuit this is basically true. I've built noise gate pedals and compressor pedals that both use a CA3080 OTA chip, and the schematics are very similar.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

H13 posted:

Yeah, same poo poo mostly. The missing link is expanders, which basically work like compressorss but either raise over the threshold or lower under it.

Armacham posted:

Depending on the circuit this is basically true. I've built noise gate pedals and compressor pedals that both use a CA3080 OTA chip, and the schematics are very similar.

You can do a LOT with an ota. My last ones went into a pair of Small Stone clones

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

H13 posted:

It's the same logic of why I like my noise gate last.

I sorta go with the idea of making your signal be what you want it to be before squashing it or clipping it with a comp or noise gate.

Same with the noise gate. It can be a gate if I need it to, I use it a lot to reduce noise with high gain stuff, or if I just turn it all the way up its a killswitch.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Any recommendations for an octave/suboctave pedal? The more range the better.

I do not need fuzz capabilities built in btw

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Boss OC pedals are the gold standard imo. Foxrox Octron is one up and one down with a blend and it sounds really cool.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_DJ3VxcWg

What do we think the signal chain is for the guitars on this track? I'm real bad at listening and interpreting what effects are being used. Is it simply fuzz into a flanger into the amp? Is the dirt all fuzz or is it probably amp distortion too? I know a lot of the heaviness is the bass which also sounds fuzzed out. I feel like I can make this song rip on my Bass VI.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

single coil guitar -> fuzz face -> simple delay -> fender combo with a bit of reverb.
+
bass -> big muff -> anything.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Before I throw it up on reverb, is anyone here interested in an Electrix Warp Factory vocoder? It's been out of the box maybe twice and is in perfect condition with the original documentation.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing that gets me about pedal order is that when someone asks about it you get people espousing the differences between delay>reverb vs reverb> delay

There’s little to no difference. Mayb a subtle difference if one of them distorts or modulates but if both are linear you can try it in a daw, phase invert and get silence.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe bike-shedding about pedal ordering should be called bike-shredding?
:thunk:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

massive spider posted:

The thing that gets me about pedal order is that when someone asks about it you get people espousing the differences between delay>reverb vs reverb> delay

There’s little to no difference. Mayb a subtle difference if one of them distorts or modulates but if both are linear you can try it in a daw, phase invert and get silence.

The difference is just vibes and you go with the one you like better, everything else is overthinking it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I like to put my vibes pedal before my drives

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

massive spider posted:

i think reverb into delay creates a much muddier sound (which i happen to like very much if i'm running both of them) whereas delay into reverb can be cleaned up and managed a great deal more, but that's my own personal experience

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead
As always it also depends on everything else between your hands and your ears. British voiced amps and anything set gainy have a harder time with delayed reverb than the other reverb. American voiced / high headroom seems less fussy. Single coils are less fussy than humbuckers etc.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I'm looking for a LPF in pedal form, preferably that you can fix at a certain position with a knob PLUS have it be sweepable with an expression pedal. Something like a wah pedal/fixed wah but specifically a low pass filter.

This is for bass playing.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

I'm looking for a LPF in pedal form, preferably that you can fix at a certain position with a knob PLUS have it be sweepable with an expression pedal. Something like a wah pedal/fixed wah but specifically a low pass filter.

I don't have any personal recommendations, but I did find this one that might work? https://www.drscientist.ca/pedals/multi-mode-low-pass-filter/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

EHX TubeQ might be what your looking for. Its not specifically a low pass filter as it obviously has others but you can use the LPF in it (it also has a parametric band pass in it that you can use). If you use an expression pedal, you can use the frequency knob to control the range of the expression pedal (in your case, very low frequencies).

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Cool, thanks for the recommendations! I've never heard of either of those.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I want to recommend the Moog MF Drive or Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe, if you can find them for less than a 50% markup used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Those are cool, I was also recommended So High So Low by Analog Music Company. It has separate expression inputs for LPF and HPF, so it can get pretty crazy.

Ouch, my wallet.