Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Aw man, I just bought a Zvex Mastotron the other day and it is a lot of fun to do stuff with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, so for distortion pedals to replace my Joyo Sweet Baby, I'm now primarily looking at the Joyo Crunch Distortion and the MXR Super Badass Distortion, in addition to the Boss OS-2 and DS-2 which I still haven't ruled out. Out of these, the Super Badass, OS-2 and DS-2 seem like the most feature rich and like I could find a way to dial in the sound I really wanted, but the Joyo Crunch seems to have a nice punchy sound with some gain too.

At the same time, I'm planning on getting an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master to either replace my EHX Cathedral verb / Boss DD-7 delay or maybe run alongside those, I haven't decided yet. But from everything I've heard of the Dispatch Master, I like the way it sounds more than my Cathedral/DD7, so I'll probably end up selling those and just using the Dispatch Master as my all-in-one box.

So which one do you guys think would produce the nicest, fullest sound with the Dispatch Master?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

How set is your budget? A used DirectDrive is really inexpensive and very high quality, easy to dial in; a Fulltone OCD and the new compact Barber DirectDrive both go for $130 new and are quality. The Fulltone OCD is one of the better easy-to-use tones out there, for what it's worth; there are a shitload of versions (and some changes that occurred within versions, like the change to a 500K level pot that means some of the OCD V4s have impedance issues with other pedals coming after them, while others do not). Current version is V7, I believe. My favorite is the V4, which Amazon does still have on sale, but as mentioned it may come with the "wrong" potentiometer there.

DirectDrive, whether full-sized or the more recent compact one, is a great sounding distortion with a lot of range, built like a bomb shelter. Dave knows his stuff inside and out.

These are probably the least expensive roadworthy boutique pedals for the job, which seems to be "distortion that can get into higher gain territory but also do the low gain thing nicely."

I know it looks like your price range is more like $80-$100, but a little stretch here could get you into a whole 'nother quality tier and I think it's worth at least considering.

If price is a major factor, however... I do know that EHX recently released The Glove OD, which is, for all intents and purposes, a less expensive, mostly MIC (some finishing work done in the U.S.) manufactured OCD clone - it even has an internal charge pump to run at 18V. It only costs $62.15, and ought to be better made than the Joyo Ultimate Drive, which is another OCD clone (though from an earlier vintage, the V2... which has a lot in common with the VLOD, incidentally, the Ultimate Drive is basically a hybrid between those two). I would not recommend the Ultimate Drive from a road-worthiness perspective; I would be a little more comfortable with the EHX, though I think they've had some production issues with the earliest runs of their boutique for cheap pedals.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Heads up, got a new round of counterfeit ripoffs coming from China and I don't mean pedal clones with different names. Affects several brands, so far definitely Analogman and Wampler, looks like Xotic as well, who knows the full extent but watch your rear end buying from any retailer you don't trust. Take note:

Edit: More companies' products found counterfeited (poorly, as usual, look for the jacks especially as they are extremely lovely and low quality and not at all like the original gear) - Suhr, BB, Fulltone, and MXR.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 1, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

How set is your budget? A used DirectDrive is really inexpensive and very high quality, easy to dial in; a Fulltone OCD and the new compact Barber DirectDrive both go for $130 new and are quality. The Fulltone OCD is one of the better easy-to-use tones out there, for what it's worth; there are a shitload of versions (and some changes that occurred within versions, like the change to a 500K level pot that means some of the OCD V4s have impedance issues with other pedals coming after them, while others do not). Current version is V7, I believe. My favorite is the V4, which Amazon does still have on sale, but as mentioned it may come with the "wrong" potentiometer there.

DirectDrive, whether full-sized or the more recent compact one, is a great sounding distortion with a lot of range, built like a bomb shelter. Dave knows his stuff inside and out.

These are probably the least expensive roadworthy boutique pedals for the job, which seems to be "distortion that can get into higher gain territory but also do the low gain thing nicely."

I know it looks like your price range is more like $80-$100, but a little stretch here could get you into a whole 'nother quality tier and I think it's worth at least considering.

If price is a major factor, however... I do know that EHX recently released The Glove OD, which is, for all intents and purposes, a less expensive, mostly MIC (some finishing work done in the U.S.) manufactured OCD clone - it even has an internal charge pump to run at 18V. It only costs $62.15, and ought to be better made than the Joyo Ultimate Drive, which is another OCD clone (though from an earlier vintage, the V2... which has a lot in common with the VLOD, incidentally, the Ultimate Drive is basically a hybrid between those two). I would not recommend the Ultimate Drive from a road-worthiness perspective; I would be a little more comfortable with the EHX, though I think they've had some production issues with the earliest runs of their boutique for cheap pedals.
I'd absolutely spend $130 over $80 or $100 if it meant I was getting a pedal that I was really happy with that I wouldn't want to sell immediately.

Listened to a few demos of both and I think I like the sound of the DirectDrive Compact more than the OCD. Also I'd be really hesitant to buy a pedal on which everything is written in Comic Sans :ughh:

That OD Glove sounds like it could almost double as a fuzz pedal if you dial it in just right :stare: And I kinda dig that because having the capability of a fuzz pedal would be a hell of a bonus, although I wouldn't have the octave feature of other fuzz pedals I've seen.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 1, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd absolutely spend $130 over $80 or $100 if it meant I was getting a pedal that I was really happy with that I wouldn't want to sell immediately.

Listened to a few demos of both and I think I like the sound of the DirectDrive Compact more than the OCD. Also I'd be really hesitant to buy a pedal on which everything is written in Comic Sans :ughh:

That OD Glove sounds like it could almost double as a fuzz pedal if you dial it in just right :stare: And I kinda dig that because having the capability of a fuzz pedal would be a hell of a bonus, although I wouldn't have the octave feature of other fuzz pedals I've seen.

Might want to narrow it down - MXR makes a great octave fuzz called LA Machine, and the rest of its fuzz tones sound great too, but you're not going to get any of the other things that drive pedals do out of it. Pick your goal and nail that first, then when you can afford another pedal and it meets some need you have, repeat. :)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hey Agreed. Tell me about the EP booster!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

juche mane posted:

Hey Agreed. Tell me about the EP booster!

Can I tell you about the new Dunlop / MXR Echoplex booster instead? (talk about sitting on a name for a long time, haha)

I have one in right now for review and I'm all "ohhh that's why people like these so much" :love:

Or do you just want to know, like, what it is about Echoplex preamp pedals that people like? What's your angle I'll help, shucks! :kiddo:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 1, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

Might want to narrow it down - MXR makes a great octave fuzz called LA Machine, and the rest of its fuzz tones sound great too, but you're not going to get any of the other things that drive pedals do out of it. Pick your goal and nail that first, then when you can afford another pedal and it meets some need you have, repeat. :)
Haha, true dat. I'd want a solid drive/distortion before I'd want a fuzz, so I'll get the DirectDrive Compact and look into fuzz later. Thanks for your help in pinpointing the pedal that'd work for me :)

Also, on boosters: I was watching YouTube demos of basically every Earthquaker Devices pedal in existence last night because I'm pretty sure a new dream of mine is to own everything they make, and their Speaker Cranker is probably the raddest boost I've come across. I want one pretty badly but it's almost $200 like most of their other pedals, so that'll have to wait.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Welp, I opened the hog up and goofed around with it. Unplugged the ribbon on the board and plugged it back in.

It's working fine now :neckbeard:

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm on the fence between two Boss pedals; the CE3 and the CH1. Is one significantly better than the other?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

I'm on the fence between two Boss pedals; the CE3 and the CH1. Is one significantly better than the other?

CE series- Basic analog chorus.

CH1 - "modern" chorus.

Lots of people seem to hate the CH1 and call it corny but that could just be how its lots of players first chorus pedal. I sold the CE3 I had because at the time I found it too subtle but I dunno how Id feel about it now.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 6, 2014

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Isn't one of them a JC120's chorus circuit in a box?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Are there any goons out there making their own effects? I have the free time right now, the supplies, and the know-how to make my own pedals, and it's something I've always wanted to do.

If I'm in the wrong thread could someone point me to the correct one?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

booshi posted:

Are there any goons out there making their own effects? I have the free time right now, the supplies, and the know-how to make my own pedals, and it's something I've always wanted to do.

If I'm in the wrong thread could someone point me to the correct one?

I off and on make pedals. Its pretty rad to have people wonder what that unmarked box with speckles of paint all over it is and you can say its something you put together.
There's a hobby electronics thread in one of creative conventions subforums that you should hit up, at least the first couple of beginners info stuff.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Stravinsky posted:

I off and on make pedals. Its pretty rad to have people wonder what that unmarked box with speckles of paint all over it is and you can say its something you put together.
There's a hobby electronics thread in one of creative conventions subforums that you should hit up, at least the first couple of beginners info stuff.

Yeah a lot of the beginner's stuff is stuff I know. I've designed, etched, and put together my own boards before, but nothing for pedals before. My most recent build was an Atmega-based servo controller specifically designed for an autonomous sailboat project going on at my school. I had to use SMD for that. gently caress SMD.

After some googling I found a few sites for schematics and BoMs, ordered the few extra things I needed (mostly pots, certain transistors, a few Hammond enclosures, and some 3PDT switches). My first 2 are going to be a Rat clone that I'm going to tweak with a bit (I'm going to breadboard it first and try switching some things about to see how it affects the sound), and a Phase 90 clone.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hey agreed (or anyone else In the know), I am considering another fuzz box for my board. Didn't like any standard muff or rat with it, is there any fuzz you'd suggest to compliment a wooly mammoth clone?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Hey agreed (or anyone else In the know), I am considering another fuzz box for my board. Didn't like any standard muff or rat with it, is there any fuzz you'd suggest to compliment a wooly mammoth clone?

Here's a rundown of 12 carefully made GE fuzzes. Silicon variants will behave somewhat more predictably but sound different; still, the tone shaping and general circuit is more determinant of the sound than whether the transistor(s) used is/are GE or Silicon, and given that these are more or less the bases for pretty much every fuzz around in one way or another, I think it's well worth the time spent watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJWv4emZdY

My two recent fuzz loves, neither of which are represented there because of topological differences, are the Wampler Velvet Fuzz, which is capable of a wide range of tones but really excels at stuff in the Fuzz Face through Big Muff territory (but with way more cut in a mix, a lot more sustain... It's also got a nice switch which makes it go from more on the brighter side to more on the darker side of things, changes the gain too, very flexible pedal in its idiom of basically giving you a fuzz pedal that can do a ton of other "normal" fuzz pedal sounds and then some).

The other recent love is the MXR Custom Shop LA Machine, which flat loving rules. If I had my way you'd all go buy one right now and we could all do ripping badass octave-up solos at the same time and it'd sound like poo poo because we'd all be tuned up wrong or something but who cares it's loving rock and roll just go with it

The LA Machine is a Foxx Tone Machine variant, modernized for tonal flexibility, with a very sexy purple enclosure and a switchable octave-up mode that makes it effectively two pedals in one. The non-octave mode sounds completely different than the octave mode - it's thick, just a little bit gated (play hard. it wants you to play hard. do what it wants and you will have the glorious sound.) but the Tone knob gives you great control over its frequency emphasis and it does not disappear in a mix or anything, it can be quite bright if you want or it can be dark as heck. That awesome Tone control and the range on the Distortion knob give each of its modes a ton of tonal variety, much more than you'd usually expect for like $140 or so.

The octave-up mode is killer, too, turns the familiar into something new. It is hand switched - little button on the face of the fuzz - there are some clones of the Tone Machine out there which put an octave-up mode on a footswitch instead, but there's absolutely no way they could have fit a second 3PDT switch into their standard enclosures, so if you want to switch it from normal to octave mode, you're gonna need to do it with your finger. That's really the only downside, in my opinion, I am in love with this thing. It sounds amazing, in either of its modes. Compared to many boutique fuzzes, it's one hell of a good deal, too. Total endorsement of this thing, it kills.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
but is it better than the dano french toast?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

booshi posted:

Yeah a lot of the beginner's stuff is stuff I know. I've designed, etched, and put together my own boards before, but nothing for pedals before. My most recent build was an Atmega-based servo controller specifically designed for an autonomous sailboat project going on at my school. I had to use SMD for that. gently caress SMD.

After some googling I found a few sites for schematics and BoMs, ordered the few extra things I needed (mostly pots, certain transistors, a few Hammond enclosures, and some 3PDT switches). My first 2 are going to be a Rat clone that I'm going to tweak with a bit (I'm going to breadboard it first and try switching some things about to see how it affects the sound), and a Phase 90 clone.

If one of those are not https://www.diystompboxes.com then you do need to join their forums because it is probably the best resource of stomp box building info.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Acute Hepatitis posted:

but is it better than the dano french toast?

Yeah. Quantitatively so. You might like the Dano French Toast better, for some reason, but there's a pretty tremendous difference in construction quality between the two and Dunlop/MXR went a different direction with the "so exactly how close to the original Foxx Tone Machine do we want to get, here?" question. I feel like their direction was a better one, personally.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The best fuzz is one you built by yourself (cave, box, scraps, etc.)

E: I also like the Blue Box

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I picked up a Yellowcake Il Brutto fuzz recently, and I love it to pieces. It's really versatile - it can go from creamy and subtle to glitched out and nasty. I learned about it from a gearmanndude video, and the guy that builds them is super cool (the post office redirected the pedal which delayed delivery, and the guy was keeping track of the shipment and contacted me to make sure everything was cool).

http://mccayultra.com/ilbrut.htm

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

It's pretty awesome that it also happens to be mega easy to build most fuzzes - they're just nice and tidy, for the most part. You can get some great sounding, heavy tones out of a couple transistors and a simple filter. Stick it in a 1590B and total cost in parts assuming you already have the poo poo to solder with can come out lower than $40 (though at that point, you start to see the argument for asking Dan-o to make it for you...)

Full disclosure I have an opinion about danelectro and it is "I don't like the dude that runs it" which, if really examined, is a pretty dumb opinion because all he's guilty of is general rich person douchebaggery, if I applied the same level of scrutiny to every CEO of a gear company I'm sure I'd find some heinous poo poo to be just as mad about. What can you do, rich people

In the words of Nic Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RWiVRwoE8

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I mean assuming you're good with a soldering iron (or even just okay, really), any box you build yourself is going to be sturdier/higher build quality than a similarly priced mass production pedal and then you get to paint it some really cool colors.

Bootstraps y'all, fuzzy bootstraps

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Make an Electra distortion (which is actually a splatty radical fuzz if you run it low voltage... or at all), it has like seven parts, so goop it with something that blows up when in contact with solvents, spend money on a fancy rear end box, have a potentiometer called "Jazz/Rock" but all it really does is adjust the bias

and rule the world with your new $600 Dumble sound, this is your calling.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Agreed posted:

Full disclosure I have an opinion about danelectro and it is "I don't like the dude that runs it" which, if really examined, is a pretty dumb opinion because all he's guilty of is general rich person douchebaggery, if I applied the same level of scrutiny to every CEO of a gear company I'm sure I'd find some heinous poo poo to be just as mad about. What can you do, rich people

In the words of Nic Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RWiVRwoE8

Same.

Make a simple boost, and label the potentiometer ego.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

Same.

Make a simple boost, and label the potentiometer ego.

Close to home man come on :qq:

(actually iirc there are two companies that actually do make a product called the Ego Boost, one's Smart People Factory and I can't remember the other but there's gotta be a reason I remember this random trivia, or maybe it's all just a total waste and none of it matters, none of it, aw shoot.)

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I heard a Blue Box for the first time the other day. Add another to the "to make" pile. Tuesday the rest of my components, enclosures, and ferric chloride show up. I'm pumped to be working on (audio) electronics again.

Agreed posted:

Tons of awesome fuzz info

Thanks for that video, helped a lot. I was pulling up schematics to compare as well. Know any good resources that help show how certain circuits/material types affect the tone of a pedal?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Beavis Audio has tons and tons and tons of information, I'm sure they have details there (my understanding basically extends to bigger cap = more treble rolloff and germanium vs. silicone and basic stuff like that)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Beavis Audio has tons and tons and tons of information, I'm sure they have details there (my understanding basically extends to bigger cap = more treble rolloff and germanium vs. silicone and basic stuff like that)

First, this is a good recommendation for some info.

Second, I am a child and giggled because

Silicone :sonia:

is not

Silicon :psylon:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

New post because it's totally unrelated to the fuzz discussion but this is a fantastic read for anyone who is just looking into some DIY stuff. I think this may be one of the coolest things I've ever seen put out in terms of being concise, really useful, and well presented.

The anatomy of a booster, using the very straightforward EHX LPB-1 as an example

Very slick, take a peak would-be pedal builders who are curious about why you put certain things where.

After you've read it, you should be able to easily intuit how you can turn an LPB-1 into either an EHX Mole bass boost or an EHX Screaming Bird treble boost - but don't make those, they sound terrible.

What does not sound terrible, however, is a few cascaded LPB-1 circuits with a tone control. That turns a very simple collection of parts into a solidly nice sounding overdrive, especially if you raise the first one's gain, much like V1 in a tube amp feeding a strong signal into a cascading preamp tube arrangement. This same basic idea has been used by many builders, though not always or even often with an LPB-1 circuit (though I believe Dwarfcraft makes or at least made a four LPB drive pedal that lots of folks like playing).

The ZVex SHO is probably the most prominent early example of somebody realizing how well this can work and doing it on purpose - on its own, a SHO is a great sounding, effective, single-knob MOSFET boost with a highly variable impedance relationship that adds some nice "brilliance" or presence and some very pleasant harmonics to the signal when turned up and the amp is cooking. Then you've got the ZVex Super Duper 2-In-1, which starts the idea of stacking them internally and adding an output attenuator (a volume pot), turning a single-stage boost into a multi-stage overdrive, with each stage doing some nice sounding stuff on their own and having some cool nonlinearities in their behavior thanks to the specific nature of the SHO's MOSFET boost. Then you get to the Box of Rock or Distortron, which are both quite a few SHOs in series but with good tone shaping: taking the basic idea of a single good gain stage design, and building on it to act as a very nice sounding cascaded FET preamp kinda thing.

This isn't to single out Zvex or anything (he gets unduly poo poo on at FreeStompBoxes, or used to in 2007 when it was first formed, because he goops and AnalogGuru had a great grasp of circuits, fuckin' savant at that poo poo, but no grasp of markets). In fact, using multiple single transistor stages is pretty much the bread and butter of a lot of more recent fuzz makers. Some of them do it in nuanced and carefully considered ways, while others (lookin' at you, Devi) throw a shitload of transistors into a circuit and end up with something incredibly loud and intresting but not exactly scientific. Doesn't bother me, though, I have a Bit: Legend of Fuzz and it rules for making my guitar sound like a synth going direct to board. Hyperion and Year of the Rat are also really good, imo.

Many other more recent "innovations" in fuzz are basically borrowed from Zvex's Fuzz Factory and Zoom's UF-01 Ultra Fuzz (which, really, weren't improbably unique innovations, just good ideas from classic gear put to good use in neat ways - the ideas had come before, but people weren't looking at older modular synth setups when they decided to put this stuff in their own guitar pedals), offering control over the voltage and other similar things to give you some pretty direct control over less conventional aspects of the circuit than traditional designs. It used to be that putting out a Germanium Fuzz Face with a bias control was hot poo poo, now there are all kinds of ways to basically take a given existing fuzz circuit and effectively let the user circuit-bend it to do weird poo poo at will. Footswitchable oscillation is another nice feature on modern fuzzes. Make your guitar sound like fuckin' flipper, do it to it. g-g-g-gyeeeeaah :rock:

p.s. I still love the MXR LA Machine, because it has a shitload of functionality, cuts better than most other fuzzes on the market, is basically two pedals in one, kicks the Dan-o French Toast's rear end for construction quality and effective range, and both sounds and looks sweet as hell.

:allears:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 10, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

How would you make a treble booster that doesn't totally suck?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I would clone a Rangemaster or buy a cheap Freq Boost. BBE's pedal lineup that got clearanced after they discontinued them included both the Freq Boost (rangemaster clone) and the Orange Squash (Armstrong Orange Squeezer clone with extra features). Neither of them are identical to their predecessors but they both sound fantastic and are super useful.

Alternatively, don't attenuate the low frequencies quite so ridiculously heavily as the Screaming Bird (seriously, it is awful, the Mole is actually kinda cool by comparison and doesn't sound nearly as bad, it just doesn't sound as good as the standard LPB-1 so what's the point, eh?). I'd use something more closely resembling a Tubescreamer's filtering, but moved up in the frequency range a bit, set with resistors rather than adjustable (maaaaybe a trimpot for presence, I've always liked the way David Barber's DirectDrive does that and I think it would work really well in a boost for dialing in something for your rig in a set-it-and-forget-it kinda way).

After that basic decision about what the frequencies you'll be emphasizing is made, the next decision is how do you want to do the boosting itself - keep it super clean? Op-amp all the way, probably a JRC-4559 or a TLO72 for super clean up to a fair dB range, or if you want to get some more noticeable harmonics going, lower headroom op-amps are fine. Or, go with a single transistor design - I like JFETs, my favorite JFET for drive pedals is the one that I got well acquainted with during my time working for Wampler, the J201. It was used in a lot of solid state recording consoles, but despite that it actually has quite a lot of manufacturing variance... still, neither here nor there if you're making a single-stage boost rather than a more complex pedal. J201 isn't the only quality transistor for the job, of course, and given that they aren't made in non-SMD packages anymore, might be best to look elsewhere. But unless I'm trying to make a Rangemaster clone I'm going to prefer a FET or MOSFET transistor over a standard NPN transistor just because their variable impedance behavior and overall sound is just much nicer for the job in my opinion, especially if you want some more noticeable clipping going on.

The Rangemaster gets grandfathered in but I'll want something like a 2N388A GE transistor for it with an appropriate HFE, which can get kind of pricy as they are not cheap for transistors but it sounds really nice. Subject to temperature variance unfortunately, but if you're in a studio you're likely in a nicely temperature and even humidity (not that a transistor package cars much about THAT) controlled environment anyway, so no big deal. Something to consider when taking it on the road, though, keep that sucker out of the sun, and be ready for extreme behavioral changes at temperature extremes. There are good SI alternatives if you want to avoid that, but it just sounds better with a good germanium transistor in my opinion.

One thing I do like on anything from full range to just treble boosts, especially *boosts that can get a little bit of clipping going on, is an appropriate value output attenuating potentiometer in addition to the gain adjustment. That way, you can dial the sound in for a hint of OD and then control how much it's actually hitting the amp with in terms of output (or pedals, later in the chain - that's a sound that works quit well very often, especially for amp-in-a-box style pedals). I just prefer that finer control over its behavior. Others may disagree on the basis of period correctness or "gently caress you it should be loud play it loud" or whatever, but they're not building the thing so I win. :toot:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed, thank you so much for the recent recommendations. But now you've got me wanting to try out that MXR pedal. You think it would cooperate the the Orange hatred of non-amp delivered gain? I've never had an octave pedal so that's a big draw.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm tired as poo poo right now but give me some time and I'll do a recording into a whatever orange emulation you want - what's your amp and cab and how do you usually mic them up? Your preferred amp settings, or any clips you have online of you playing it so I can dial my modeler of choice in correctly, would be very very helpful here.

Short answer is "I'd imagine so, yes," though, I am fairly confident that the wide, wide range of the tone control from very dark to razor-cutting bright and everything useful in between should make it play nice with pretty much any amp and cab. Also, Oranges don't hate pedals, they're just a little picky :shobon: What Orange is it? What cab is it driving? Give me info and I will give you a quickie demo some time tomorrow (possibly even in the wee hours of the morning, it's only like 8:00PM here but I am loving exhausted, I may only end up sleeping 4 hours or I may manage a straight eight if I'm mega lucky and my back pain doesn't gently caress with me too much + my insomnia chills out tonight, wake up at 4:00AM bright eyed and bushy tailed, who knows, haha).

The dude who asked about the Dan-o French Toast did so because they're both based on the same circuit. The Dan-o uses pretty crap parts and is not a very high quality pedal, but it does still sound like a Foxx Tone Machine and still has a switchable octave and junk. It just isn't on the same level as this unit, in my opinion, by a pretty long shot. But it also costs like $100 less. If you want to try this sound yourself for cheap, you could do worse, even though I do have a sot of low-level but long standing grudge against the guy who owns Danelectro for his politics. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person but he gives quite a lot of money to people who hate gays and that is not okay with me. During the whole prop 8 thing, he donated $15K to the conservative side of things. That's a lot of pamphlets if nothing else, and I've kinda been side-eyes at him ever since.

Edit: Which, as I mentioned, is in the final analysis kind of unfair, as I haven't scrutinized many other CEOs and it's totally possible that I'd find similarly heinous viewpoints backed with money to organizations among them - well, at least I can admit that I'm being a little less than consistent here, for whatever the heck that's worth.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2014

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Looking for some ideas on my setup. I currently run Fuzzrite Clone>Tuner>Rangemaster Clone>Garagetone Drivetrain (TS Clone)>Tremolo into a Reverend Hellhound. My amp is set mostly clean/Voxy I guess, and I use the Drivetrain & Rangemaster as my main dirt. Since I really like the Rangemaster and I kind of use the DT as a similar thing (low gain almost-clean boost that hits the amp harder) I'm wondering if that spot might be better used for something a little more different, but there's obviously a ton of options out there. Distortion? Other overdrive? Something really weird? Whatever I get needs to play well with others, since a lot of times I'm using one pedal for my rhythm dirt and cascading the other for lead sounds (or the Fuzzrite if I want to get really crazy). Also, it can't be too big because my Pedaltrain mini is pretty much full as it is. I'm the only guitarist in a garage-poppy trio.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Sounds like a pretty good arrangement of fuzz, distortion and boost, so I wouldn't really recommend changing it unless you wanted to go for a less colorful boost (when it comes to garage, though, I say leave the color in). If you're looking for recommendations on more pedals, maybe you could get a delay/reverb for your solos? It would actually be even better for you to put something like that at the front of your chain and fuzz out a little gated reverb during a solo. I would much rather upsell a little tail action to your sound than more gain or unnecessary modulation.

E. drat, I miss playing guitar. I miss my pedalboard.

I keep thinking I should pull certain effects from my pedalboard and just plug them into my bass amp. The SWR comes with an effects side-chain that supposedly retains the low-end, depending on the mix, but I've never used it. The only pedals I take on stage are my tuner and the VT Bass (because as great as SWR is, it ain't got the low-mid gain for hard rockin' basslines), but I keep considering whipping out the Space Echo or Clone Theory. Problem is, I'm not Peter Hook.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 12, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got my Dispatch Master yesterday and I've had lots of fun playing around with it. I'm convinced I'm gonna sell my Cathedral, but I may hang on to my DD7 just to have an additional delay. Although I'm not entirely sure yet. Gotta keep playing with it.

Now I just need to buy an OD/distortion to complement it. Agreed, I know you mentioned the Electro-Harmonix OD Glove in one of your posts earlier, so I take it you approve of that one? I was looking up some reviews and demos of that earlier and it sounds like it actually might suit me better than the Barber Compact Drive. Plus money is a bit tighter than I thought since I've bought the Dispatch Master, so a $50 pedal is a lot easier to swallow than a $130 pedal. I could go even cheaper than that and get the Joyo Ultimate Drive but I'd assume the build quality is better in the OD Glove anyway, right? Plus I like the sound of the Glove more than the Ultimate Drive in the demos I've watched of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got my Dispatch Master yesterday and I've had lots of fun playing around with it. I'm convinced I'm gonna sell my Cathedral, but I may hang on to my DD7 just to have an additional delay. Although I'm not entirely sure yet. Gotta keep playing with it.

Yeah I run a Guyatone Md5 behind the DM to get real long delays when I need it.