Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Glove is better than the Ultimate Drive in theory, but I have heard of early issues with the recently introduced units and at this point it's unsure whether you'll get one of those or a newer one with whatever it was loving up addressed. But the Ultimate Drive is sub-Danelectro quality. Does not spend money in the right places, very strong suspicion that "non-essential" parts are counterfeit, and if that is true, probably less out of design than "absolute lowest bidder supplier" and it's China (again, that statement is speculation, just based on what I know about parts labeling and packaging for those components). Use your judgment as to whether you think that they can deliver a product made in China that EHX is delivering made in China with the only meaningful differences being an internal charge pump on the EHX unit to get it up to 18V, a switch for that, and maybe some minor "finishing" work in the USA if they're claiming Made in the USA, I guess - for half the price - and somehow it's not skeezy. You pay some for the EHX name, but not that much. That's kinda the point with their cheapo pedals. Rumbling w/ Danelectro, etc. more than the crazy world of Chinese clones, or, don't get me started, Chinese counterfeits.

Basically yeah do your thing man, money's tight but you want a pedal, look toward inexpensive pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The Bunk posted:

Looking for some ideas on my setup. I currently run Fuzzrite Clone>Tuner>Rangemaster Clone>Garagetone Drivetrain (TS Clone)>Tremolo into a Reverend Hellhound. My amp is set mostly clean/Voxy I guess, and I use the Drivetrain & Rangemaster as my main dirt. Since I really like the Rangemaster and I kind of use the DT as a similar thing (low gain almost-clean boost that hits the amp harder) I'm wondering if that spot might be better used for something a little more different, but there's obviously a ton of options out there. Distortion? Other overdrive? Something really weird? Whatever I get needs to play well with others, since a lot of times I'm using one pedal for my rhythm dirt and cascading the other for lead sounds (or the Fuzzrite if I want to get really crazy). Also, it can't be too big because my Pedaltrain mini is pretty much full as it is. I'm the only guitarist in a garage-poppy trio.

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket to me and my suggestion is to not buy anything.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Never buy Chinese pedals please.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket to me and my suggestion is to not buy anything.

Haha, yeah pretty much. I realized that it's kind of dumb to set 2 pedals to a similar sound and then complain about how they're covering the same ground. I'm going to mess around with setting the gain higher on the overdrive so I have more options.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: My EHX Glove OD distortion arrived today and I wanted to test it out, so I plugged it into my 1-Spot along with the rest of my pedals, but when I plugged it in it sparked, which freaked me out because I'd never seen that before with a pedal. I hit the switch after it was plugged in and the light came on, so I assumed it was working, but then I turned on my amp and got no audio from either my guitar or my synth (tried both). So with each pedal, I tried plugging in one pedal at a time and just going straight from the amp to said pedal and then from the pedal to the instrument, which worked fine with all of them, including the Glove. So is it just that having them all plugged in at once overloads the 1-Spot or something? I'm attributing this to the Glove and not the 1-Spot because I had my Joyo Sweet Baby in its place earlier today and had no problems like this at all when that one was plugged in.

I know the Glove has an internal 9V/18V voltage switch and I thought it may have been set to 18 and that's what was causing it, but I opened up the Glove and it was set to 9V.

The whole point of me having the 1-Spot is so I can run all my pedals at once through DC power :(

edit: Well, plugging the Glove into a different spot all the way at the end of the 1-Spot seems to have fixed it. No sparks or anything, and I have all my pedals plugged in at once. Although I don't know how safe this is to leave running :ohdear:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Question: My EHX Glove OD distortion arrived today and I wanted to test it out, so I plugged it into my 1-Spot along with the rest of my pedals, but when I plugged it in it sparked, which freaked me out because I'd never seen that before with a pedal. I hit the switch after it was plugged in and the light came on, so I assumed it was working, but then I turned on my amp and got no audio from either my guitar or my synth (tried both). So with each pedal, I tried plugging in one pedal at a time and just going straight from the amp to said pedal and then from the pedal to the instrument, which worked fine with all of them, including the Glove. So is it just that having them all plugged in at once overloads the 1-Spot or something? I'm attributing this to the Glove and not the 1-Spot because I had my Joyo Sweet Baby in its place earlier today and had no problems like this at all when that one was plugged in.

I know the Glove has an internal 9V/18V voltage switch and I thought it may have been set to 18 and that's what was causing it, but I opened up the Glove and it was set to 9V.

The whole point of me having the 1-Spot is so I can run all my pedals at once through DC power :(

edit: Well, plugging the Glove into a different spot all the way at the end of the 1-Spot seems to have fixed it. No sparks or anything, and I have all my pedals plugged in at once. Although I don't know how safe this is to leave running :ohdear:

I know this isn't really the answer you were asking about but if you're interested in putting together a decent pedalboard get yourself a Pedal Power 2 for $170 or at least something similar. It's a buy and forget kind of thing and it's so nice to have a power setup you can rely on to last and do it's job perfectly. I had a one spot for a while and never understood why it was "bad" but it's just not well made. I always had weird issues with the ones I used. If I had to reset and start buying gear from scratch the first thing I would order is the PP2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know this isn't really the answer you were asking about but if you're interested in putting together a decent pedalboard get yourself a Pedal Power 2 for $170 or at least something similar. It's a buy and forget kind of thing and it's so nice to have a power setup you can rely on to last and do it's job perfectly. I had a one spot for a while and never understood why it was "bad" but it's just not well made. I always had weird issues with the ones I used. If I had to reset and start buying gear from scratch the first thing I would order is the PP2.
Yeah, when I used to be in a band a few years ago, one of my former bandmates had a power supply box like that and never ran into any problems with it. But the rest of my bandmates and I all used 1-Spots and they were mostly fine. I think my first one broke completely after a couple months of owning it and I wasn't even abusing it or anything. But I got a new one after that and that's the one I'm still using. It's been going strong for years.

This may or may not be a dumb question since I already kind of know this thread's stance on Joyo stuff, but what about their version of the Pedal Power? It costs a lot less money than the PP, but does that mean it'll have a higher chance of frying all of my expensive pedals? I don't want to run that risk but I also don't have the kind of money to spend on a new pedal power supply now either :(

They both have 18V options and I'm assuming that's what I really need for my Glove to not give me any trouble.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
One day at practice my EBVP decided to not push all the way up anymore, heel position. So, I took it apart and reset it, now I cant seem to get it to taper gently anymore - ie with fuzz it goes from full fuzz to clean with a flick of the toe. And when I try to reset it again, it now will not go through the full range from full clockwise to full counter (toe to heel)

I ordered the 4 dollar restring kit because, why not? Any suggestions what to look for besides what the video says to do. Do you think this was an issue of the string losing tension/elasticity?

Agreed, I am looking at you. The volume pedal WAS doing swells fine and then one day it decided to be really sensitive. Is this a possible issue with the pot ( no scratchiness or anything ) or just a new string thing?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

One day at practice my EBVP decided to not push all the way up anymore, heel position. So, I took it apart and reset it, now I cant seem to get it to taper gently anymore - ie with fuzz it goes from full fuzz to clean with a flick of the toe. And when I try to reset it again, it now will not go through the full range from full clockwise to full counter (toe to heel)

I ordered the 4 dollar restring kit because, why not? Any suggestions what to look for besides what the video says to do. Do you think this was an issue of the string losing tension/elasticity?

Agreed, I am looking at you. The volume pedal WAS doing swells fine and then one day it decided to be really sensitive. Is this a possible issue with the pot ( no scratchiness or anything ) or just a new string thing?

I would guess the pot before you even got any further than "My passive volume pedal is having issues, and they are-" just because it's such a dead simple circuit and that's the most likely point of failure. Can't hurt to restring it, next to free to do once, and hey maybe it is just not gripping worth a poo poo and that's what's going on. But if that doesn't fix it...

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

I would guess the pot before you even got any further than "My passive volume pedal is having issues, and they are-" just because it's such a dead simple circuit and that's the most likely point of failure. Can't hurt to restring it, next to free to do once, and hey maybe it is just not gripping worth a poo poo and that's what's going on. But if that doesn't fix it...

That's what I figured and from what I can see, replacing the pot won't be toooo difficult.

the reason the string came to mind is that i put a marks on the brass knob on the inside, a + for most clockwise position and - for most counter.

when I rolled it from heel to toe, it never reached to the full + (when I strung it at most counter position at heel) then I strung it at most clockwise position and that is when it would taper real sudden and not reach the "-" position.

Any recommendation for a replacement [inexpensive but decent] pot incase this string doesn't work out? I should shoot for 500k, right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

That's what I figured and from what I can see, replacing the pot won't be toooo difficult.

the reason the string came to mind us that input a mark on the brass knob on the inside, a + for most clockwise position and - for most counter.

when I rolled it from heel to toe, it never reached to the full + (when I strung it at most counter position at heel) then I strung it at most clockwise position and that is when it would taper real sudden and not reach the "-" position.

Any recommendation for a replacement [inexpensive but decent] pot incase this string doesn't work out? I should shoot for 500k, right?

Yeah, VPJRs use a 500k pot. I think the shafts are longer for a volume pedal but I'm not positive.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, VPJRs use a 500k pot. I think the shafts are longer for a volume pedal but I'm not positive.

From what I can see, they are not interchangeable. Really hoping it's the string, just the fact after it started messing up- it wouldn't stay at the heel position makes think it's that.

ill definitely keep y'all updated, hopefully I can fix it before my jm gets here. :smith:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is the Digitech Jamman solo the best looping pedal for its price? ($100-$150 used)

I want to play with myself.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
So there's a pedal in Logic Pro 9's Pedalboard plugin called "Candy Fuzz" that I really dig. From searching around, it's modeled after an Analogman Peppermint Fuzz. I watched a few videos and it sounds pretty sweet. My problem is that it costs $200, so what other fuzzs sound/act like the Peppermint but don't cost as much?

I want to use this sound live but really hate bringing my laptop to shows

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My Janglebox compressor adds a little staticky noise, so I added a behringer noise reduction pedal. I can't figure out if it belongs right after my only noisy pedal or at the end of my effects loop.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Remulak posted:

My Janglebox compressor adds a little staticky noise, so I added a behringer noise reduction pedal. I can't figure out if it belongs right after my only noisy pedal or at the end of my effects loop.

Compressors should be at the very front of your pedal chain, even before the tuner. If you haven't tried that, give it a shot.

Put the noise reduction pedal at the end of your chain.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

Is the Digitech Jamman solo the best looping pedal for its price? ($100-$150 used)

Depending on your needs, also look at TC Electronic's Ditto and the JamMan Express XT. I have a solo and I've been trying to sell it to get one of those simpler loopers.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

ChocNitty posted:

What are you trying to do? I've tried just about all the commonly available loopers and stuck with the RC-300 and Ditto.

Ditto is really good for a super simple looper. Ideal for writing melodies over chord progressions, or working out solos. It might be good for triggering a phrase live, but it has no way of storing / loading recorded stuff, so it's a bit limited. Five minutes of loop time is more than enough for what it does.

The RC-300 is pretty much the opposite. It's a strong writing tool with a lot more potential for live applications. Can load / offload / reload tracks, has a built in rhythm machine (blah), midi sync / control capabilities, input and output options, built in effects (meh), loads of memory, gently caress ton of overkill for most users.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

no dad im not gay! posted:

Compressors should be at the very front of your pedal chain, even before the tuner. If you haven't tried that, give it a shot.

Agreed that the compressor is always first, I'm trying to figure out the NR. I have a preamp chain and a effects loop chain - where does the NR belong? I'm not really happy with either position unfortunately.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Remulak posted:

Agreed that the compressor is always first, I'm trying to figure out the NR. I have a preamp chain and a effects loop chain - where does the NR belong? I'm not really happy with either position unfortunately.

Put the supressor at the end of your preamp loop or at the beginning of the effects loop.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

no dad im not gay! posted:

Why before tuner?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

massive spider posted:

Why before tuner?

Compressor brings up the noise floor of anything that goes into it so ideally you just want to go guitar -> compressor -> rest of chain in pretty much any circumstance because any sort of slight noise that a pedal generates is going to be raised up (usually in the form of hissing) so if your tuner has any less than quality components you might get hum which will in turn end up boosted with the rest of your signal. It's just easier to put your compressor first and since it doesn't add any overtones to your signal you can put it before your tuner without loving it up.

tl;dr: noise

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

at the beginning of the effects loop.
I like this idea a lot.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So I've acquired a Mister Crybaby volume/wah, and I like it, but I wish the volume function was tuned better. It feels like 0-66% is silence and the swell happens at 67-100%. Is there any way to mod it so I have a clean swell over the full sweep?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

gypsyshred posted:

So I've acquired a Mister Crybaby volume/wah, and I like it, but I wish the volume function was tuned better. It feels like 0-66% is silence and the swell happens at 67-100%. Is there any way to mod it so I have a clean swell over the full sweep?

not positive but replacing the pot with a 500k would probably help, I believe.

I just fixed my ebvp a bit by adding a new string/spring

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So I don't know any other way to put this.

I'm a reverb junkie. Eventide Space makes me drool. The price... does not.

I have more than adequate digital plate, spring, room, hall available to me already. I want to get hold of some of the more crazy algorithms, but are there even options out there to compare to this chassis?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I like the Digitech HW Supernatural as a lower cost alternative to the modulated coolness of the Space, but nothing is going to be as out-there as it is, frankly. You won't find another pedal that does what it does. They were careful about that. :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

I like the Digitech HW Supernatural as a lower cost alternative to the modulated coolness of the Space, but nothing is going to be as out-there as it is, frankly. You won't find another pedal that does what it does. They were careful about that. :)
How come I've never heard of this one before? I just watched some YouTube videos on it and I'm in love now :swoon: Pretty sure I'm gonna have to sell my Cathedral and replace it with this to supplement my Dispatch Master.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How come I've never heard of this one before? I just watched some YouTube videos on it and I'm in love now :swoon: Pretty sure I'm gonna have to sell my Cathedral and replace it with this to supplement my Dispatch Master.

It was pretty big on TGP when it was released, is a Digitech & PGS exclusive, I love mine which I got some time in mid 2012 :) Great pedal; it won't do what the Space does but it has its own realm of great reverb tones. Very very hard to beat for far-out cool poo poo at the price!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

It was pretty big on TGP when it was released, is a Digitech & PGS exclusive, I love mine which I got some time in mid 2012 :) Great pedal; it won't do what the Space does but it has its own realm of great reverb tones. Very very hard to beat for far-out cool poo poo at the price!
Did they discontinue it and now they're reissuing it or something? I saw it for a sale a few places, including PGS, but it was out of stock everywhere. Then I saw it a few other places available for pre-order and it says "Coming Soon" on the official product page.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think they're still releasing them in batches, but I could be wrong. I kinda stopped paying attention to how to get one after I finally got one :ohdear:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Found some vids of Mr. Black Supermoon Chrome. Any experience with those? Might be a decent crazy substitute.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Alleric posted:

So I don't know any other way to put this.

I'm a reverb junkie. Eventide Space makes me drool. The price... does not.

I have more than adequate digital plate, spring, room, hall available to me already. I want to get hold of some of the more crazy algorithms, but are there even options out there to compare to this chassis?
I'm a reverb/delay junkie (I like to pretend I'm Jonsi in my spare time) and I've been having a hoot chaining old 80's/90's verb/delays into each other in a rack and throwing in interesting time based effects to help kick them along.

Alesis Quadraverb has superb reverb/delay.
Peavey Addverb II/III have some interesting uses.

I've got a few more at the shop that I'll look at and post up for you. I mean, if you're wanting to make wacky poo poo happen, it's easy to do on the cheap just not in an all-in-one unit, if you're looking for a pedal or something, well it gets more difficult to do.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
I am borrowing this curddy zoom 505 ( wait, its actually pretty sweet.) and there is this cool delay kind of thing I want to recreate.

I don't know what kind of pedal can get this effect but I'm hoping it would be possible on a carbon copy because I was planning on getting one of those.

Its basically a repeat of the first sound. Same volume and everything. Just one repeat though, like a stutter.I hit a note and hear it twice in very short succession. The effect its paired with has tons of outrages fuzz and I really dig the thickness of the stutter and fuzz.

What is this one time delay effect?
(I can post video or sound if needed)

E: I googled but I am going for something faster than this http://www.howcast.com/videos/510122-How-to-Create-a-Single-Delay-Effect-Guitar-Pedals

Less of a delay and more of a doubled up fat sound. I might just have to make that vid >>

philkop fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 24, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

I am borrowing this curddy zoom 505 ( wait, its actually pretty sweet.) and there is this cool delay kind of thing I want to recreate.

I don't know what kind of pedal can get this effect but I'm hoping it would be possible on a carbon copy because I was planning on getting one of those.

Its basically a repeat of the first sound. Same volume and everything. Just one repeat though, like a stutter.I hit a note and hear it twice in very short succession. The effect its paired with has tons of outrages fuzz and I really dig the thickness of the stutter and fuzz.

What is this one time delay effect?
(I can post video or sound if needed)

E: I googled but I am going for something faster than this http://www.howcast.com/videos/510122-How-to-Create-a-Single-Delay-Effect-Guitar-Pedals

Less of a delay and more of a doubled up fat sound. I might just have to make that vid >>

that's called a "slap back" delay and almost any pedal can recreate. CC for sure. Just set repeats on super low, timing high and level around 2-3 usually works it out.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

that's called a "slap back" delay and almost any pedal can recreate. CC for sure. Just set repeats on super low, timing high and level around 2-3 usually works it out.

sweet, thanks bro. When funds are better I'll be looking into a cc, probably paired with a fuzz factory.

Anybody have any fuzz recomendations for a JC -120? I was gonna get the fuzz factory and just return it if I don't like it but I'm down for some suggestions. Looking for a really wild over the top fuzz with plenty of options to mess around with, I was hoping someone had some specific advice for the jc amp since it is notoriously fussy with any gain/drive

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

One fuzz to rule them all.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

philkop posted:

Anybody have any fuzz recomendations for a JC -120? I was gonna get the fuzz factory and just return it if I don't like it but I'm down for some suggestions. Looking for a really wild over the top fuzz with plenty of options to mess around with, I was hoping someone had some specific advice for the jc amp since it is notoriously fussy with any gain/drive

Boss FZ-2 if you wanna start an Electric Wizard cover band.

Sounds decent enough through a Microcube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xKzcjGXHw

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I love my fz-2. I also own a mastotron which is supposed to be kinda like a fuzz factory. It's not that great honestly. If I was in the market for a new fuzz pedal I would consider the earthquaker hoof reaper and the blackout musket fuzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Yeah the hoof reaper seemed cool and I was considering the twosome (half musket)

I'll just have to try out the ff. I like the insanity of it the most, the others seem too tame. Some of the "bad" sounds the ff makes sound like a dying mechanical beast.