Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

According to the manual the Bad Monkey does have a speaker emulator on the mixer out.

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_documents/documents/50_1287513241/BadMonkey_original.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Cheers guys. Did some digging myself at the same time and found much the same info. Too bad there's no specifics but hey, it works really well as a sort of preamp for an interfrace in a pinch! Pity they don't make them any more.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm running out of space on my pedal board, and at the same time I find myself in need of a second volume pedal for my second channel, so I wanted the smallest volume pedal I could find. The smallest I can see online is the AMT Little Loud Mouth, but I have no idea of it's reliability.

On the other hand, last couple of times I saw Acid Mothers Temple, they were using this increadibly tiny volume and wah set of pedals that were smaller than the guitarist's foot, but I have no idea what they are. They looked perfect, though.

Any thoughts?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
After having people staying at our house for the last month I finally was able to put my practice space back together again with some new additions.

Minilogue (:swoon:) + KMI 12Step
Carvin MB10 + bass pedalboard [Pitchblack, B3K, MicroPog, Proton, Bassist]
Peavey 6505+ 112 + guitar pedalboard [Pitchblack Mini, NS-2, Tubescreamer Mini, MXR Carbon Copy]

What I would very much like is the ability to run the keyboard and the bass pedalboard into my bass amp simultaneously. I figure in most cases I'd run keyboard into a DI & monitors, but I need to have the ability to run both things together through my bass rig for rehearsals, and none of my big rigs have an aux in. Is just a passive ABY pedal good enough to do what I need? Is there something that's specifically more for adding an aux in to an amp?

edit: Boss RC-3 loop station has two inputs, aux in, can sum to mono, and has a bunch of other cool stuff. I already have a Ditto, I guess I can replace it with one of these.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 1, 2016

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Looking for suggestions/advice for a OD/Distortion double pedal to replace my Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. I like it, but the new board I'm working on can't fit anything more than 5" x 5". Right now, I'm eyeing the ZVEX Box of Rock or an MXR MC402. Anything you folks would recommend?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nebraska Tim posted:

Looking for suggestions/advice for a OD/Distortion double pedal to replace my Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. I like it, but the new board I'm working on can't fit anything more than 5" x 5". Right now, I'm eyeing the ZVEX Box of Rock or an MXR MC402. Anything you folks would recommend?

The jeckyl and hyde v3 is only 5 x 6 if you can stretch to that. Most other double pedals are bigger.

The alternative would be to buy two mooer sized pedals.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

massive spider posted:

The jeckyl and hyde v3 is only 5 x 6 if you can stretch to that. Most other double pedals are bigger.

The alternative would be to buy two mooer sized pedals.

I checked out the v3, it won't fit once it's all plugged in. Looks like minis are probably the way to go.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm running out of space on my pedal board, and at the same time I find myself in need of a second volume pedal for my second channel, so I wanted the smallest volume pedal I could find. The smallest I can see online is the AMT Little Loud Mouth, but I have no idea of it's reliability.

On the other hand, last couple of times I saw Acid Mothers Temple, they were using this increadibly tiny volume and wah set of pedals that were smaller than the guitarist's foot, but I have no idea what they are. They looked perfect, though.

Any thoughts?

Nothing else on this?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nothing else on this?

Dunlop CryBaby Mini and Volume X Mini, maybe?

Possibly the Hotone Soul Press?

MOOER Leveline?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I picked up the crybaby mini a while ago and highly recommend it.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

I picked up the crybaby mini a while ago and highly recommend it.
Ditto on the Crybaby Mini, it's rad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those are good options. Thanks.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Any thoughts?

I don't know about the AMT volume, but the AMT wah (WH-1) has some pretty good reviews.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

After dicking around with several at different stores, I eventually decided on a Keeley Compressor and was able to haggle this down to $150 thanks to a deal Keeley is running on their website now:

I'll have to fuss around with the attack trim pot inside (I'll probably leave the clipping one alone) to find where I really like it but even at the factory setting just using the other two gets a stunning amount of variety. I did as the instructions say and stuck it after my Uberschall in the chain and it's just wonderful how much more you can get out of your riffs this way. Haven't dicked around with other stuff very much yet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm fascinated by overdrives lately. I can't seem to find anywhere that talks about the families of overdrive in regard to the sound, though. What I mean is that there's plenty of resources talking about diode clipping vs whatever, but I'm more interested in the end result. Is there a good comparison of what to expect from certain families of overdrive? I read that the SD-1 and TS9 are both mid-hump focused overdrives that colour where a Klon is mid humped but more "transparent", or the BB Preamp (Or in my case what triggered this expedition, the EHX Crayon) being "full range overdrive" but is transparent whereas others aren't, etc etc.

The short of it is whether there is a guide (Or an effort post from a knowledgeable goon would be my favourite) of the general families of overdrive and where common pedals fall in.

This is kind of because if I decide to pick up another overdrive (I have no intention to... at the moment) I'd probably want something completely different, so knowing where the opposite of what I have is I can grab something different rather than "a Tubescreamer, but a really good one." For what it's worth my first OD was a Bad Monkey, a TS clone, and I now have the Crayon, which is also apparently based on a TS but also not and doesn't have the mid hump? I don't know any more.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm fascinated by overdrives lately. I can't seem to find anywhere that talks about the families of overdrive in regard to the sound, though. What I mean is that there's plenty of resources talking about diode clipping vs whatever, but I'm more interested in the end result. Is there a good comparison of what to expect from certain families of overdrive? I read that the SD-1 and TS9 are both mid-hump focused overdrives that colour where a Klon is mid humped but more "transparent", or the BB Preamp (Or in my case what triggered this expedition, the EHX Crayon) being "full range overdrive" but is transparent whereas others aren't, etc etc.

The short of it is whether there is a guide (Or an effort post from a knowledgeable goon would be my favourite) of the general families of overdrive and where common pedals fall in.

This is kind of because if I decide to pick up another overdrive (I have no intention to... at the moment) I'd probably want something completely different, so knowing where the opposite of what I have is I can grab something different rather than "a Tubescreamer, but a really good one." For what it's worth my first OD was a Bad Monkey, a TS clone, and I now have the Crayon, which is also apparently based on a TS but also not and doesn't have the mid hump? I don't know any more.

Just watch That Pedal Show, these guys are my go to guys for pedals, they have tones of vids, here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKjhXWpjq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PX4Fl6Mu4

I really like trust them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Just watch That Pedal Show, these guys are my go to guys for pedals, they have tones of vids, here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKjhXWpjq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PX4Fl6Mu4

I really like trust them

Oh trust me, I already subscribe and eat up That Pedal Show videos. Guys are amazing. I was hoping more for a chat or quick reference though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh trust me, I already subscribe and eat up That Pedal Show videos. Guys are amazing. I was hoping more for a chat or quick reference though.

Ah, fair enough.
I can't help much, my advice would be way off I think. I don't do the high gain thing and I tend to get my overdrive by concentrating hard on the guitar, pickups and valves then using a boost pedal to push things over the top if needed.
I guess that's one distinct area though, boost pedals. They are designed to ramp up your signal, subtly usually, The one I use is the TC Spark as I like its transparency, it doesn't colour my tone, just provides a boost - other notable ones are the EP Boost and Echoplex Boost.

For me it's all about the valves working with the volume control on my guitar, I swap pickups and change volumes multiple times in a song and my pedals are always on.

The other area I know a bit about are soft clip overdrives, these are the ones that offer a more lazy overdriven sound. Think Klons, Soul Food, Pork Loin etc. They are like boosters on steroids but again are designed to push the pre amp valves in your amp to create a more lush sounding drive effect. I am getting an OCD pedal which falls into this bracket soon, so I'll post about that when it arrives.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
the thing i dislike about most pedal videos and demos is that they are usually going into non-cranked amps. I tend to use my gain pedals to effect an already loud amp and the way the pedals color and react compared to some low watt, mostly clean amp in a demo video is vastly different.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
By and large I use just amp distortion when I want crunch, but with the way I have my clean/crunch channel set I don't get a super crunchy sound if I want an actual pristine clean sound (Which I do) when using my higher output guitars. So that's why I like overdrives. Also it's taken me almost four years to follow my friend's advice and not have all the gain all the time for my lead channel, now I'm using just enough gain to saturate and using my TS to boost for thickness when I need it. I also like pedals because they all (Except the million and one clones which are all the same as the standard TS/Klon/whatever) sound different but it's way easier to get them without sacrificing the wallet.

Mind you, as I've said before I'm kind of done for buying stuff for a while, so this is mostly a thought exercise on where you can trace back different pedal lines, like tracing back modern high gain amps to old Marshalls, who trace back to Bassmans, etc.

Smash, I'm with you for the most part. Aside from my Muff I use my pedals to flavour the crunch already there. Even the Crayon (Which is a BB Preamp) with its high amount of gain usually sits on my crunch channel, or on my lead for stupid high amounts of sustain.

I think for the most part pedals (And most gear really) are annoying for me on YouTube because they never demo it in a way that I'd actually use it. "Hey guys, we have this sweet distortion pedal ideal for heavy rock or metal, watch me play through a Princeton or something while playing some blues lead licks." If I had the money I'd buy gear just to demo it the way I play it. Dreams, etc.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

syntaxfunction posted:

Smash, I'm with you for the most part. Aside from my Muff I use my pedals to flavour the crunch already there. Even the Crayon (Which is a BB Preamp) with its high amount of gain usually sits on my crunch channel, or on my lead for stupid high amounts of sustain.

I think for the most part pedals (And most gear really) are annoying for me on YouTube because they never demo it in a way that I'd actually use it. "Hey guys, we have this sweet distortion pedal ideal for heavy rock or metal, watch me play through a Princeton or something while playing some blues lead licks." If I had the money I'd buy gear just to demo it the way I play it. Dreams, etc.

thats my thing too, like sure any real gain pedal can sound good going into a nice sounding clean amp at low levels. but when they amps are cranked and you are for the balance of clarity, girth and crunch is when a pedal really shines. I have gone through so many boxes that have advertised all of this, only to be complete garbage when i am beyond bed room levels.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Smash it Smash hit posted:

thats my thing too, like sure any real gain pedal can sound good going into a nice sounding clean amp at low levels. but when they amps are cranked and you are for the balance of clarity, girth and crunch is when a pedal really shines. I have gone through so many boxes that have advertised all of this, only to be complete garbage when i am beyond bed room levels.

I agree, half the magic with an amp happens when the power tubes are cooking. A cranked AC30 is loving magical.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I agree, half the magic with an amp happens when the power tubes are cooking. A cranked AC30 is loving magical.

Do you have vintage industrial hearing protection when you crank it tho?? YOUR TONES!!!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Southern Heel posted:

Do you have vintage industrial hearing protection when you crank it tho?? YOUR TONES!!!

if you dont smell the power tubes cookin then idk

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I have ear defenders lined with vintage fabric that came from Leo Fenders underpants to ensure maximum tone at all times

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well I am ditching the Pork Loin, it's just not there, it's flabby and farty. So, next up is a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 - hopefully that'll do more what I want.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 9, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there some kind of black magic secret to using a Wah? I feel like I just don't get it at all and I wonder if that's because I'm simply not familiar with it, or whether I only like it when it's manipulated by our lord and savior Kirkus M. Q. Hammett

Now I sold my TC HoF Mini like a total oval office just before buying an amp without reverb, I'm going to need to buy one back - I'd rather avoid the HoF mini just out of pique. I really only give a poo poo about a standard plate reverb, so people have recommended the Catalinbread Talisman which is like a hundred and seventy loving pounds which is the exact opposite sentiment of me saying 'I just need a simple, always-on plate reverb sound'. Is there much in the running between an old Boss RV and a EHX Holy Grail Neo? Or some mooer/joyo shite?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Digitech Supernatural has a magical sounding plate setting as well as a good variety of others.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Southern Heel posted:

Is there some kind of black magic secret to using a Wah? I feel like I just don't get it at all and I wonder if that's because I'm simply not familiar with it, or whether I only like it when it's manipulated by our lord and savior Kirkus M. Q. Hammett

Where do you put the wah in your signal chain? I loving hated wah until I stopped putting it in front of the OD/distortion like everybody kept telling me to.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My secret to wah is putting too much chorus with it and playing along to these guys because I'm convinced its still actually the 90s

https://youtu.be/nOZTYoI3dL0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Now I sold my TC HoF Mini like a total oval office just before buying an amp without reverb, I'm going to need to buy one back - I'd rather avoid the HoF mini just out of pique. I really only give a poo poo about a standard plate reverb, so people have recommended the Catalinbread Talisman which is like a hundred and seventy loving pounds which is the exact opposite sentiment of me saying 'I just need a simple, always-on plate reverb sound'. Is there much in the running between an old Boss RV and a EHX Holy Grail Neo? Or some mooer/joyo shite?

I got a Holy Grail and it's great, simple, nice reverb

Playing wah, my only advice is don't go heavy on trying to time your foot to your hand, try to let your foot do it's own thing a little, sweep it slowly and deliberately rather than stomping down on the beat all the time.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

My secret to wah is putting too much chorus with it and playing along to these guys because I'm convinced its still actually the 90s

https://youtu.be/nOZTYoI3dL0

So is that with chorus before or after the wah?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wah before chorus because my multi is hard wired signal path, though for general use I tend to have wah later in the chain on Amplitube. It's such a synthy tone, the guitarist used the Line 6 filter modeller a lot too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I got a Holy Grail and it's great, simple, nice reverb

Nano, Neo, Plus, Max? £50 for the pedal seems like a damned sight better deal for something that's just going to sit in the background rather than :catdrugs: AMBIENT GAZE :catdrugs:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Nano, Neo, Plus, Max? £50 for the pedal seems like a damned sight better deal for something that's just going to sit in the background rather than :catdrugs: AMBIENT GAZE :catdrugs:

Nano, I just need a really normal but nice reverb, I put it in my loop and it just sits there being awesome :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you want to learn to use a wah use it while making the wah wah sound with your mouth.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Digitech Supernatural has a magical sounding plate setting as well as a good variety of others.

I got one of these a while ago thinking i would play around with all the weirder settings and get some cool sounds going.... but i just stuck it on the plate setting and then never touched it again. Pretty good IMO.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there such thing as a good quality multi-prong power supply? So far my pedalboard consists of 3 pedals (tuner, boost, chorus) and the power block is the same size as all three together and it seems excessive.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

Is there such thing as a good quality multi-prong power supply? So far my pedalboard consists of 3 pedals (tuner, boost, chorus) and the power block is the same size as all three together and it seems excessive.

The Trex fueltank junior is pretty small for a brick PSU-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Speaking of Digitech Supernaturals, I'm trying to figure out if I should repair mine. I broke the knob off the reverb type selector pot. The pot is a 7 way selector. Is it worth it to try to replace that pot? I've soldered a bit but I'm no small electronics repair pro. I just wonder if the time and materials spent replacing the pot would be worth it and if I could even get a 7 way selector pot that would work for sure. Right now I've just got it set to spring reverb and I'm OK with that. I can carve a groove or something in the pot stem to make it still select-able otherwise. I did try to superglue the knob back on but I knocked it off again and that seems like a dumb solution.