Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

pedaltrain powerbank. the one thats a battery you can charge up and run wirelessly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I used to have a Holy Grail, it was great for simple spring reverb but I then got the reverb tank on my amp fixed so I sold it.

I recently got a used Digitech Hardwire RV-7, which they don't make anymore, but is really cool. I bought it because it has reverse reverb so you can do cool My Bloody Valentine style shoegaze swells, but lately I've been using it on plate mode with the level and decay cranked all the way up for big, spacey reverb sounds. I play downtuned heavy stuff and when you kick that on it makes big chunky chords sound just huge.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Is there such thing as a good quality multi-prong power supply? So far my pedalboard consists of 3 pedals (tuner, boost, chorus) and the power block is the same size as all three together and it seems excessive.

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-Pedal-Power-Supply/dp/B003H91JDS

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Southern Heel posted:

Is there such thing as a good quality multi-prong power supply? So far my pedalboard consists of 3 pedals (tuner, boost, chorus) and the power block is the same size as all three together and it seems excessive.

Just buy a onespot.

If you have lots of high current (digital) pedals you likely need something like a voodoo lab thing (or the new strymon stuff if you are made of money), but a onespot should hold you for now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I run a one spot to power a vox wah, uberschall, ts9, keeley comp, and digital delay and it works fine. A little clusterfucky for cable routing so I probably wouldn't do more pedals than that with one though.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

A Onespot will power a surprising number of basic pedals and is basically perfect for the situation described. If/when your needs change and you upgrade it will still be a handy thing to have around just in case.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, for a while I was using a single 1Spot to run five pedals for gigs, and twelve pedals at home. Handled it just fine.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I use a Ciokolate hope this helps

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Recently started using my amp again, works fine despite not having been on in 4 years. Thought I'd hook some pedals up as I've "borrowed" my brother's DS1 as a less insane stand in for my metal muff.

I tried using my OneSpot, nothing. Tried using individual PSUs, nothing. Then after 10 mins of trying different combos of PSUs I realised I hadn't switched the extension lead on and the amp was in at the wall which is why that worked but no pedals. :doh:

The DS1 is pretty ok though, even for my drop B nonsense. And the 1 Spot powers me 4 pedals no problem

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think the DS-1 gets a bad rap sometimes. Don't get me wrong you still have people praising it, but I think a lot of people tend to view it as baby's first distortion. I keep erring on whether to get one myself, mainly going no because I have enough dirt and my friend has one he hardly uses which I can borrow whenever.

Funnily enough, saw Monolord and I believe the bassist (Or was it one of the openers? I forget) was running his bass (Rickenbacker, natch) into a DS-1 into the house stack (Looked like an Ampeg SVT(?) and Orange 6x10). Sounded absolutely killer.

Speaking of stuff my friend has, does anyone want to hear some demos (Comparisons, shootouts, whatever) of any of the following into my Night Train (I can mic it) or an Amplitube setup? I'm not the best player but I can probably do a basic idea Anyway I have access to:
EHX Crayon, Bass Big Muff
Jet City Shockwave
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DS-1
Yamaha OD (I forget the model, it's from the late 80s I think, sounds killer), with mystic mod!
JHS Low Drive
Way Huge Swollen Pickle (If anyone wants a Muff v Pickle shootout)
Boss DD-3, Tera Echo (For that spacey echoey poo poo we all love)

Most stuff you can find online but that's what I have access to. I'm probably going to be shooting out the Shockwave and DS-1 myself, with the Crayon as the yardstick (Distortion v. Overdrive but the Crayon has a lot of gain for some reason), because I've noticed that even with the volume maxed and gain at 1o'clockish on the Shockwave it still isn't at unity gain. Nothing sounds obviously wrong with it, I've swapped batteries and all that, but I haven't used it in ages so who knows. Sounds pretty good for modern rock sounds though.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The DS1 i have is unmodded or anything, i think the Keeley Mod is the go-to for it. At 10 distortion it is more than hairy enough, have to roll the tone back to around 11 as my RG is super trebly despite stupid low tuning. I've mostly been using the DS1 model on my ME 50 at band practice so makes sense to cut it down to something not the size of a battleship. The other guitarist has a really thick mid heavy tone so a bit of pointiness on mine helps me cut through

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I sold my DS1 but it's certainly not a bad pedal.

I've really fallen in love with my Rat though. I have other more expensive distortions/fuzzes, but the Rat has so much character, especially when the distortion is cranked almost all the way up. It's noisy as hell, but gets the coolest feedback and glitchy noises at that level.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for the tips, chaps!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is good, would recommend

Nice and easy to get good sounds, from light breakup to pretty full on gainy, not found a poo poo sound yet

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's the go with digital delays and reverb? Everyone seems to be moving back to analog delays outside of Strymons and their ilk. I've been fancying a DigiTech Obscura and Polara because I want delay and reverb buy I want the trails to continue when I turn them off, instead of instantly stopping. It seems the way to go is digital, the the DT stuff has a bunch of features that seem useful and/or cool. The only problem is everyone local seems to want AU$100 more than a Boss DD-7 and hell no I ain't paying that. There's a bunch of delays on Reverb for decent prices, but I want the crisp return of digital, would prefer tab tempo (The Obscura has one built in) and want the trails option. Any suggestions for not overpriced pedals that fit that?

Edit: While I'm at it, what's the best pedal for swells? I know the Boss Slow Gear is old, rare and expensive. At the moment I use a swell VST in Reaper. The advantage it has is it's not tied to a beat so any time I play a note it swells. It can get messy trying to play one sustained note and introduce another but I use it to play single notes at a time and it gives a beautiful violin like sound. Basically I want a pedal I can set the sensitivity and how long it takes to complete the swells, but have it activate every time I hit that threshold. Any ideas?

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 18, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's an Alesis Microverb going for £40 in a Wants store. I dont need it, and have no way of linking it to Cubase, but it looks so drat cool, taking a lot of restraint here.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
got reposted by earthquaker :smug:

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

The Mooer Slow Engine is a slow gear clone, it's cheap. Look it up on YouTube see if it does what you want.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

UncleBlazer posted:

The Mooer Slow Engine is a slow gear clone, it's cheap. Look it up on YouTube see if it does what you want.

Yeah I found that shortly after posting and it seems it might do the trick. Thanks.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
at one point i chained three ds-1 pedals together and you know what it's a really good pedal and even if i do not have one right now there's no reason to turn your nose up at it

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
just remembered that the old beavis audio research site had a little flash thing where it was like create the ultimate guitar tone, and all you could do was drag ds-1 pedals together in a chain and it would say godly tone or really great or think it needs a bit more. lmao

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
or gtfo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm the identical pedal settings.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

I'm the identical pedal settings.

Once you have tone like that dialled in you don't gently caress with it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Run it through a spectrum analyser and view the face of God.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NonzeroCircle posted:

Run it through a spectrum analyser and view the face of God.

Can confirm

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

syntaxfunction posted:

Edit: While I'm at it, what's the best pedal for swells? I know the Boss Slow Gear is old, rare and expensive. At the moment I use a swell VST in Reaper. The advantage it has is it's not tied to a beat so any time I play a note it swells. It can get messy trying to play one sustained note and introduce another but I use it to play single notes at a time and it gives a beautiful violin like sound. Basically I want a pedal I can set the sensitivity and how long it takes to complete the swells, but have it activate every time I hit that threshold. Any ideas?

IMO the best violin effect ever is the EHX Micro Synth, but it's got to be hideously expensive there. The good news is that it can have a high learning curve, so you might find a used one a local gave up on.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TC Electronic just announced 13 new pedals and they all look real neat and my loving waaaaallett!!!

e: so many are all analog too, god drat.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/smorgasbord-of-tones/

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 21, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Kilometers Davis posted:

TC Electronic just announced 13 new pedals and they all look real neat and my loving waaaaallett!!!

e: so many are all analog too, god drat.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/smorgasbord-of-tones/

Your wallet will be happy, they all street for 49.99$ MAP/49.99€!

Pretty big shot across the bow of Mooer/Joyo/etc, if they're any good.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Schpyder posted:

Your wallet will be happy, they all street for 49.99$ MAP/49.99€!

Pretty big shot across the bow of Mooer/Joyo/etc, if they're any good.

even the most garbage tc electronic pedals are pretty good, though i dont buy them for the most part.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I just bought a Count to Five with money I don't really have, but I don't care!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

spider wisdom posted:

I just bought a Count to Five with money I don't really have, but I don't care!

lol noice

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
https://www.gearnews.com/tc-electronics-new-pedal-range-announced-bargains/

11 of 13 are rebadged Behringer circuits in a nicer enclosure, at double the price.

"We talked to Tore Mogensen, the pedal designer from TC and the guy in the videos. He told us, that 11 of the 13 pedals are redesigned Behringer circuits. Rush Booster and Fangs Metal Distortion are new. They updated the circuits and different parts, added or reduced some pots (inclusive parameter ranges of them) and added true bypass switching. So it is a real cooperation between Behringer and TC Electronics. We’re looking forward to hear the upcoming comparisons."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Actually putting the Behringer circuit into non-awful chasis would fix the only real problem with Behringer pedals.

EDIT - Oh gently caress, there's one called the Grand Magus. Help me resist the Star Trek pun, guys!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
NM, it doesn't make you sound like Wallace Shawn. Although I could hear him extolling the virtues of selling a clone of a clone of a DS1.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Remulak posted:

https://www.gearnews.com/tc-electronics-new-pedal-range-announced-bargains/

11 of 13 are rebadged Behringer circuits in a nicer enclosure, at double the price.

"We talked to Tore Mogensen, the pedal designer from TC and the guy in the videos. He told us, that 11 of the 13 pedals are redesigned Behringer circuits. Rush Booster and Fangs Metal Distortion are new. They updated the circuits and different parts, added or reduced some pots (inclusive parameter ranges of them) and added true bypass switching. So it is a real cooperation between Behringer and TC Electronics. We’re looking forward to hear the upcoming comparisons."

lol

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
so they're boss pedals at roughly boss prices

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've always known Behringer as a brand that sounds good but has shocking build quality. So I guess take that and make them not shoddy sounds okay? I honestly think the biggest problem is they look lame. TC in general is not that great at aesthetics but these look so drab.

Take a look at Digitech. A lot of people are saying the pedals themselves a just riffs on pedals they've had before (Supernatural -> Polara for example) but I think people started paying attention partly because they look awesome now. Yeah, no one wants to admit it and it's not always the case but looks do play a part in decisions. I'm not saying "The RAT looks boring therefore it must suck" and I agree that a great sounding pedal can look as ugly as sin and people will still like it. But if you're building cheap pedals that are competing with other cheap pedals then looks are a good way to stand out.

Boss pedals look boring but they a quintessentially Boss and are their own style. Digitech's older stuff looked like a poor man's Boss despite having great pedals. The new TC stuff doesn't look bad but it sure as hell doesn't visually look interesting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honestly after the switch on my Ditto crapped out almost instantly and I found out they all use that same switch I'm never buying a TC electronics pedal again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've heard about that issue before with TC pedals unfortunately. I hope it never happens to mine as I love it to death.