Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I posted this in the 'New to Guitar' megathread but never really got a response but I think it would be better suited in here.

I really want to get that warm but funky Jam Band sound. I really dig the Allman Brothers and bands like Moe. I've heard that the ABB sound is hard to replicate but it's do drat pleasing to the ear.

Any Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

3toes posted:

You'll have to be a little more specific as to what the actual sound you looking for is. There are so many things that are classified as "funky" and "jammy."

For the most part ABB guitarists, Duane, Betts, Haynes, and Derek Trucks all just play Gibsons with great humbucker pickups going into great amps like old Marshall stacks or Soldano amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSrudW7J4M

About 3:52 is a good example. I'm pretty bad with terminology right now so sorry if I can't really explain this well.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

3toes posted:

That's just some really good, smooth overdrive that's dialed in really well. A Tubescreamer should help you get that down pretty well without breaking the bank.

What kind of guitar/amp are you going through?

Amp: Fender Frontman 15G :smith:

I'm playing a Squire right now but plan on upgrading to a midrange Strat in the next couple weeks.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I really want this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmtI1sOK3Y

Maybe I'll get one once I get some free cash.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Crybaby -> TS9DX or TS9DX -> Crybaby?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sha2dt9iQy0

About 1:50 in. Any suggestions?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

3toes posted:

Sounds like pretty standard overdrive, only pulled back some, not balls to the wall. Maybe a booster?

Good call on The Brew though, those guys are pretty cool. The best thing about jam-bands like them is that they'll usually discuss gear pretty openly and love to show off their setups. I'd send the guitarist a message on Myspace or something like that.

I'm amazed that people are actually recognizing The Brew now. I went to school with them. I remember watching them play in my high school gym when they were really young. It's really cool to see the band from your tiny high school get recognition. They're playing moe.down this summer which should be loving awesome. I think they're really a diamond in the rough and I'm not saying that because we're from the same tiny 13 square mile town.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

bisticles posted:

The MXR Blue Box comes to mind. It tracks (very loosely, I might add) the most prominent note that you're playing and then doubles it two octaves down and mercilessly fuzzed. Makes for some pretty cool Nintendo noises.

Also, I've found that setting #69 on the GSP2101 *is* the Ratatat sound. This is saturated tube disturtion plus some delay and reverb sent through the harmonizer, which is set to the 3rd in an Em scale.

harmonized guitar sample

Helllllooooooooo Wildcat.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is there a pedal out there somewhere that can make my Strat sound like a Sitar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

e: double post