Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm looking into buying a looper, so I figure I want either the Boss RC-2 or RC-3. The RC-2 is cheaper, which is tempting, and I can't honestly say I need three hours of recording time or the ability to hook it up to a computer. That said, can anyone tell me if I should sack up and drop the extra dough? Are there any other loopers I should be looking at? I doubt I'll be doing anything too complex, but I'd still like a somewhat future-proof investment.

Edit: never mind, after reading a lot of reviews, I bought a jamman solo. Really excited for it to arrive.

Manky fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of EQs, a lightning strike couple days ago managed to fry my Godlyke Power-All (through a surge protector, even though everything else was fine). I replaced it with a Dan Electrode, but now my Dano Fish & Chips won't turn off. I don't know what the hell.

e: And now my F&C won't turn on. Frustrating.

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 12, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Why are most volume pedals $80 and up? I didn't think you needed anything more than a potentiometer and some capacitors...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

The guitarist in the band I'm playing with was trying to think of a way to run his signal through an iPhone with the iKaoscillator app as part of the effects chain running into his amp. Is this possible?

I can see how you can get the signal into the iPhone with a 1/4" to a 1/8" adapter, but I'm not sure how you get it to run out to the other pedals and ultimately to the amp.

(I hope this hasn't been addressed already, but I couldn't find it while going through the past posts here.)

I think an iRig will do what you want. As long as there's not an issues using the headphone out to go the effects chain, but I assume 1/8 to a 1/4 adapter would work.

Man, I wish Android didn't apparently have some system audio issues where they can't get the latency usable for stuff like iRig. It looks pretty cool.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Bit of a xpost from the newest gear thread, but here's a photo of my newest acquisition, with my current playing set up:

I'm sure I'll be going back on this within the month, but right now I have that feeling of satisfaction, like I'll just never want another pedal.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
You should check out fuzzhugger.com. There a few different makers on there, so you should definitely be able to find something distinctive and cool. I just got my first fuzz from them, a 1134 which I don't think fuzzhugger(fx) makes anymore, but it's just so much better than my v1 Cool Cat Fuzz.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm a Danelectrode man myself. Bonus points for being able to dial in different voltages for that "dying battery" sound.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm interested in the Danelectro Free Speech, but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews, mostly either very positive or very negative. Seems like most people complaining are having problems with distortion causing feedback, but I rarely play with more than little fuzz. Has anybody used one?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

Plus if you feel bad about giving money to corporations that fund anti-gay marriage than steer clear.

I have a fondness for Danelectro stuff - first guitar I learned to play was a secondhand U2 reissue - but that there is a real mojo-killer.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

FYI: iStomp pedals are currently :20bux::20bux: a pop.
Go to the musiciansfriend closeout page then pick iStomp(shows up as $150) and put it in your cart; a discount will be applied to it and the end total will be $40.

There are some good deals on that page. This Tascam TC-1S solar tuner is $10 for most colors. Mine has been going strong for three years as my only tuner, never had it die or fail, I've never even had to actively recharge it. If you need a tuner that doesn't sit on the floor, get one of these.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

For some reason the Danelectro Black Coffee is great with small, cheap amps.

What else is Dano gonna test them with?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

Is the Digitech Jamman solo the best looping pedal for its price? ($100-$150 used)

I want to play with myself.

Depending on your needs, also look at TC Electronic's Ditto and the JamMan Express XT. I have a solo and I've been trying to sell it to get one of those simpler loopers.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's also the Jamman Express XT now which looks a little better and cheaper, but I haven't used either.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

yeastiality posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a pedalboard power supply?
I have about 10 pedals that I want to supply with 9V, and 1 other pedal takes 12V (a TC Nova Delay). I would settle for powering the TC separately if I have to. Right now I use single power adapters for a couple of the pedals, and a cheap 'series' adapter for most of the 9V ones. Of course, I'd rather not do that. My hope is that I can buy one product to clean up my terrible/unsafe/noisy setup. What do you guys use?

Somebody here posted their pedalboard and I meant to ask them about the Joyo power supply on there. The price is more than right and the reviews seem very positive.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

HollisBrown posted:

The outputs on that are not isolated, so it leaves you open to ground loops and extra noise. It's not really much better than a 1spot.

I need to learn more about power supplies, because it has isolated in the title and the first bullet point is "10 outputs featuring isolated short-circuit and heat protection." But I googled more and an ultimate guitar review says it doesn't have isolated grounds and "That means you can not use your Vintage positive ground effects, without destroying your effects and/or power supply." Sooo it'll be fine as long as I don't use my (nonexistent) vintage pedals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

Eh, pretty much all the fully isolated ones (Voodoo Labs, T-Rex Fuel Tank, new 1-Spot Pro, Decibel Eleven Hot Stone, BBE Supa Charger, MXR Iso Brick, Walrus Audio Ateos, Digitech Hardwire V10) are constructed pretty much the same, and cost all about the same, and function pretty much the same, give or take a couple options for voltage or current on an output or two. It's not exactly a complicated piece of electronics to put together, just kinda pricey. Even the new Joyo JP-04, with fully isolated outputs, runs $120+.

I didn't even know there was a JP-04, huh. Looks nice... I picked up the JP-02 for $60 a few months ago and I can at least say it's a big, quiet step up from the Danelectrode/1spot daisychain I was using.