Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Are there any pedals out there designed simply for making lots of weird un-guitar sounding noises? I've gone about as far as I can with my current set-up and I'd like to try some semi-DJing with my guitar rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Agreed posted:

Any computer modeler will do that sound. Heck, I could make you a patch if you want. AT2 only, or do you have more of the software? I'd prefer AT:Metal for that, it has a better pedal harmonizer up front which might work better for that sound.

Since you went into some serious detail earlier about compressors, I was wondering if you could explain to me something about compressors. I get the basic idea behind the effect (limiting dynamic range, etc.) but I still don't exactly "get" what any of the settings on compressor pedals actually do. How do "sustain" and "attack" actually affect the tone or what the compressor is doing to the signal?

If it helps I'm using a Digitech RP-350 which has the BOSS CS-2 and the MXR DynaComp as models included.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
What's the sickest tremolo pedal available under $200? Like, one with settings that are just absolutely as rough and choppy as you can possibly get, like mechanical in nature and not at all natural sounding.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Oh wow that certainly is intriguing looking. That might be worth the price, actually. Love the built-in express pedal, always thought more pedals should be built like wahs.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Scarf posted:

Only thing is, it has no real engage/disengage switch. You roll-on to activate it, so I'm sure it colors the tone like crazy.

More along the lines of a conventional Vib/Trem pedal... check out the EHX Wiggler. My old roommate has one and it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRo9YyL8H8&feature=channel_page

Thanks, but that's kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for. It has a very natural sounding tone that I'm trying to avoid (for my own silly purposes). Ordinarily though I love EHX stuff so that was otherwise a great suggestion.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

80k posted:

I know this is much more than the $200 limit, but the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper is by far the choppiest square wave I've tried on high depth settings. Even at fast settings, the helicopter chop keeps chopping away. The designer of other pedal made sure the circuit responds to amplitude changes fast enough to remain choppy at fast settings. Other pedals (like some of the ones i've built with an LED/photoresistor optocoupler cannot respond fast enough and starts blending together at fast speeds losing all choppiness. It also has tap tempo and a 4-stage sequencer (and a ton of other options) and has a lot of value despite the high price tag.

I should mention the designer is a good friend of mine and I had a hand in the early development of the pedal. But I am genuinely enthusiastic about how it turned out.

Here is a page where I did some Youtube demonstrations of the pedal.

Actually the first video of that Youtube clip is probably what you are looking for. Super choppy, mechanical, and unnatural.

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you! That 4MS pedal is pretty wicked too. You should do a demo with the DD-7 and see what kind of linking/tonal fuckery options are available with those. This is a pretty new pedal eh?

Might be worth the $340 considering all those options. Again, thank you.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I've always been a fan of the Small Clone. It's not as versatile as the rest but it's pretty unique.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
This involves vocals but I figure it's best suited for this thread.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEA04K45vw&feature=related

Two questions:

1. Does anybody recognize the equipment Kele is using to get his voice to repeat like that? I checked Wiki and it says he has a Boss Loop Station plugged into his guitar but only a Line 6 DL4 and Boss PS-5 hooked up to his voice. Is this a feature of the DL4 that I didn't know about?

2. How the hell is he hooking up guitar pedals to manipulate his voice in the first place? I've tried this before by running the XLR -> DI box -> Pedal -> PA but it didn't work. I'm very curious as to how he's setting that up because I'd love to try it with my band.

Thanks for any help.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

lechunnel posted:

If that's the case then it might work using the Boss style adapters that 90% of pedals use. I thought EHX pedals tended to have wacky 13.75V AC adapters that you couldn't replicate with something else, but I guess I was wrong. In fact my Holy Grail uses the Boss style adapter so I should've known better!

What US site did you order from? I'm pretty keen to get some myself if they're that cheap vs. local stores.

Well, I don't know if it works the same for you but my Small Stone uses a 9v battery but will not work with my Boss adaptors.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

the wizards beard posted:

Old EHX pedals use thinner jacks, the same as the RAT series. New ones use BOSS-style jacks. You can buy adapters on eBay for next to nothing, but I'm fairly sure the Bass Muff uses a standard Boss 9v jack.

What are the exact terms of these thinner jacks? I don't want to screw up and order the wrong one.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Alright, thanks!

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Scarf posted:

I've been messing around with Delay in Guitar Rig a lot lately on my bass and having a lot of fun. Anyone able to recommend a good unit? I really like the "PsycheDelay" in GR, is that based off of an actual unit?

I'd recommend the EHX Memory Man and the Boss DD-20 for variety. If you want to go classic though nothing beats an Echoplex. The actual units sell for quite a bit these days but I believe they've managed to put it in a stompbox now.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I'm considering picking up the Line 6 DL4 Delay modeler during Black Friday sales. It will be as low as $175, but before I get it I would like to ask those in the know:

Are there any multi-delay modeling stompboxes that compare to the DL4 in variety, accessibility, and playability?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

stairway to hippo posted:

Some other good multi-delays are the Boss DD-20, Eventide Timefactor and the Empress Superdelay. The Boss is about the same price as the DL-4, I think, while the other two are a bit more. Whether they are better than the DL-4 or not is entirely subjective, though.

VVV ah yeah, I forgot those.

Thanks both of you, I checked all those out and I think the best competition is the Boss Giga Delay. You're right that it's subjective but I like seeing what the Line 6 isn't offering that the competition is. Thanks again guys.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Cool Cool Cool posted:

I've been looking for a fuzz pedal that can create some really harsh waves of fuzz a la The Jesus and Mary Chain or The Raveonettes. I know that JAMC used a Shin-ei pedal into a lot of reverb, but I've been looking for something a little more useful. I was thinking of getting the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom for awhile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6nM4evYS0
Any other good suggestions?

The Fender Blender, a Kevin Shields favourite.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Way Past Cool! posted:

Speaking of that, do you know of any similar fuzzes with a wet/dry blend control but without the octave, and also cheaper than a Fender Blender.

e: or would it be more effective to use something else to split the signal, send it through a more basic fuzz, then recombine it with the clean signal?

The Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive does this to some extent, but that's in theory because I've never actually used one. And it's not fuzz, just OD.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Epi Lepi posted:

All I have right now is a Deluxe Electric Mistress, and a Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. Hoping to get more after the semester ends.

Anybody know where I could find a mod online to add a tone wicker to my Big Muff? It's the classic one, not the Russian clone.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Sorry to interrupt the awesome Fuzz discussion going on, but I have a somewhat specific question.

Years ago I bought a Digitech RP-350 because I was using a bass amp I borrowed from a friend and it didn't have any good guitar settings. Since then I've bought a Vox AD100vth and run it through a Marshall MG series 412. The Digitech has essentially become useless because while it can replace a boring tone with something else I've found that it can't really enhance an already good tone.

But I wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to run it through the FX loop of the amp instead of the front of the chain in order to utilize both the built-in EQ (instead of buying a GE7 or MXR 10-band) and some of the cheesier FX. Would running it through the FX loop prevent the pedal from obscuring too much of the good tone I get from the pre-amp tube?

tl;dr: Multi-FX pedal sucking tone, better to use in FX loop of amp as EQ instead?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
What are the two really big pedal modifiers out there? Keeley and who else? I've been thinking of getting my Metal Zone hopped up just so it's not a piece of utter garbage.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Ireneo Funes posted:

After I got tired of seeing my stupid, piece of poo poo DOD American Metal around the house, I sent it to this guy (http://www.wix.com/palthegiraffe/index). He did a good job and actually made it usable, giving it what he called "2 1/2 distortion modes." Basically one is the normal DOD distortion, only less brittle and the others combine a cool shrill-sounding decay that can be likened to a sitar with/without a gain boost. This is more or less his specialty; turning poo poo effects into a little more usable poo poo effects.

How could you possibly get tired of looking at an FX box? It would be a different effect at 3pm then it would be at 330pm to you :p

(jk, thank you)

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I have a JCM800 50 watt combo that's pretty old, early '80s likely.

It only has two high/low inputs, no channels. But I have an A/B box, so is it possible to go from A -> high and B -> low simultaneously to have a dirty/clean channel without screwing up the amp?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Is there an equivalent to the Line 6 Modulation Modeler (MM4) the same way that the Eventide Time Factor or Boss Gigadelay are equivalent (or better than) the Line 6 Delay Modeler?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Perfect, thank you!

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I've heard good things about the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper tremolo pedals.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Weird question. Wayyyy back in Ye Olde Times of 2009 Line 6 had those X2 Wireless set-ups that were super effective and cheap. Until just very recently I used that instead of the G-series relays but my X2 receiver is finally starting to act funky.

Since it's digital and Line 6, does anyone know if a G30 receiver will pick up signal from an X2 sender? I'd like to not have to buy a whole new set-up but I understand if I have to. I'd just like to know before I go into Sam Ash so I can avoid looking like an idiot.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Detective Thompson posted:

Any good sites selling used pedals, aside from wading through ebay? I'm only just barely dipping my toes into the guitar pool, so I'm in no rush, but I'm just wondering for future purposes.

The typical places like Amazon, Sweetwater, Zzounds, etc. will typically have a "Used starting from..." option next to any pedal you search for. Also Guitar Center has a separate site for used stuff.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Sockington posted:

I mated my two MXRs for that exact reason because they stack so well running into my Fender clean :circlefap:

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but what do you mean by 'mated'? Do you mean just...two pedals next to each other? Is the A/B box making me think of something more complex than that?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
OH! Cool, thanks for going into detail about that! I can use that.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTHc8d9D20

I can't wait for this to be available.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Southern Heel posted:

Is there some kind of black magic secret to using a Wah? I feel like I just don't get it at all and I wonder if that's because I'm simply not familiar with it, or whether I only like it when it's manipulated by our lord and savior Kirkus M. Q. Hammett

Where do you put the wah in your signal chain? I loving hated wah until I stopped putting it in front of the OD/distortion like everybody kept telling me to.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
You can get a lot more space out of that PedalTrain board if you undermount the Joyo power supply. You don't even have to mess with any drills or screws. You can just use 3m Dual Lock (those white plastic fasteners) to hold it in place upside down, and frees you up to put only the fun stuff on top.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
What are they called? I'm trying to Google it but I've got a big dumb head as well as feet and obviously can't find the right words.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

polynominal-c posted:

Did you google "knob enlargement"?

I can just go through my spam folder for that.

Thorpe posted:

These specific ones are Mooer Candy footswitch toppers. There are other companies that make nicer ones out of aluminum but they are considerably more expensive, Barefoot Buttons.

Thank you!!

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I've been out of the game re: pedal mods for a while now, but I finally have a decent job with decent pay.

Who are some of the more affordable wizards who can turn average Boss pedals into amazing poo poo? I know about Keeley, and I think AnalogMan is still around, right? Any new people who have popped up in the last five years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

polar posted:

Looking for a battery powered looper.
It's going with a battery powered amp.
Looking at Boss and EHX atm.
Anyone got a couple suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RbykZwyzMY

Maybe this would work? You could make any looper battery-operated.