Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alright so I am looking into getting a compressor pedal for guitar after playing with models in Amplitube. Is there a decent one that's sub $50 usd or should I be expecting to spend ~$70-100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

You've tried the Skyline Komp? A lady I was recording brought it up and she told me that she got it for like 40 bucks. Was probably the only thing not worth a small fortune in her pedalboard. Sounded pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVC-oB7dVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtCC2cDAFw

That does sound really good but she must have scored it used from someone because it's an $80ish pedal too :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I still really like my TS9 as a boost and even as a mild overdrive. I can get a nice tight tone using it as a boost and a nice vintageish overdrive sound as an OD.

What pedals you like is probably gonna be affected by your amp's base tone though. I like my 40 year old all tube 15 watt combo amp a lot :kimchi:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I tried to look at compressors at Guitar Center today. Their stock is really low because of Christmas, post-Christmas returns, and gift cards, so they only had a Dyna Comp outside of the display case. The display case they could not open because a guy took the key home and called off today. :negative:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I just wanted to demo some to get a feel but I only got to play with the one. So I didn't buy anything. THREE HOURS OF DRIVING :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bogner Uberschall got here.

It promptly kicked the old MXR Doubleshot off the board like wow. A great pedal.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Honestly as long as it sounds fine I wouldn't worry too much.

Also if you're taking the long con make sure you compare it to sounds from various Led Zeppelin, Cream, and Hendrix songs. Gotta tap the blueslawyer market.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Reverb has a decent stock of used stuff being sold by people and is somewhat more searchable than eBay.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

What series of events led to him even trying to make that in the first place

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

After dicking around with several at different stores, I eventually decided on a Keeley Compressor and was able to haggle this down to $150 thanks to a deal Keeley is running on their website now:

I'll have to fuss around with the attack trim pot inside (I'll probably leave the clipping one alone) to find where I really like it but even at the factory setting just using the other two gets a stunning amount of variety. I did as the instructions say and stuck it after my Uberschall in the chain and it's just wonderful how much more you can get out of your riffs this way. Haven't dicked around with other stuff very much yet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I run a one spot to power a vox wah, uberschall, ts9, keeley comp, and digital delay and it works fine. A little clusterfucky for cable routing so I probably wouldn't do more pedals than that with one though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm the identical pedal settings.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Generally best to take batteries out if they're not necessary just because battery acid leaking inside your stuff is awful

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

My secret to getting a good sound out of a wah:

1.) unplug the input and output

2.) lift it carefully

3.) throw it in the garbage

yes let's all listen to mr "just chain delays together" smash it smash hit about good sounds

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Have you considered a delay with a wah friend?

Are the delay and wah both affected by the sweep

That sounds like a zvex creation tbh

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have never owned a multi effects unit, unless you count software ones like Amplitube but I don't have an expression pedal for those

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

hanales posted:

Yeah it's a klon-based pedal with similar tonal qualities.

If you're ever looking for obscure boutique pedal information check out thegearpage dot net. It's full of rich dudes who basically buy every expensive klon/TS/Timmy clone and discuss how incredibly different they are(n't) :)

I tend to not trust their actual opinions, because the majority of them don't gig or record, they mostly hang out in their basements and jam alone, so their needs are very different from mine, but it does catalog well so it can get you started and there are often a lot of demos.

Additionally a site called freestompboxes dot org does teardowns and ungooping of boutique stuff, so you can often find out what the circuit is based on and if it is actually "better" than the original EHX/Boss/Klon/Tubescreamer they've copied.

Yeah a lot of boutique things are not super different. Like I know my keeley compressor is basically a Ross compressor with some light modifications and good quality parts and frankly I'm okay with it because I got a good deal on it and it sounds good/was way easier to get a good ~ * tone * ~ out of than the Boss CS-3 and isn't absurdly squishy like the modern dynacomps. There are probably cheaper clones around but gently caress it whatever this is the one I liked when I was playing with every compressor I could find.

Also given that actual ross compressors start at like 4 times what I paid for this it's a pretty good deal

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I just looked up george L and you owe me a new pair of eyes

good lord that website

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hell, the 1-spot comes with that nifty 9-volt battery adapter. It's powering my Vox wah right now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'll bitterly grump to my dying day that the main reason to use more expensive components is that the more even product from component-to-component transfers over to a more even product from pedal-to-pedal (or amp-to-amp).

Occasionally you get stuff like op-amps being quieter like when I modded my GE-7 so it does the same job with less hiss but mostly what you get is consistency over actual ~*better tone*~

e: And even then this is more of the difference between like a one-penny component and a ten-penny component

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh yeah absolutely, the actual cost difference of using higher tolerance components is pretty much never gonna be more than a few bucks a pedal, especially for a relatively simple circuit like OD.

e: Maybe a little more if you really felt like preserving margin instead of just covering the extra cost per pedal, I dunno, I don't do that sort of stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have no issues with my digitech digital delay but let's also remember that it was free and I really only like small amounts to add a hint of depth so YMMV as heck on that one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

RAT into Marshall? Are there better choices for the RAT these days? I looked briefly at Catalinbread Katzenkoenig but not sure if there are better choices for fuzzstortion...

I hear the build quality is lacking on the new production Rats (switches/pots crapping out), so maybe there's a decently priced clone out there?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you don't know what goes on your board the answer is always the Hatsune miku stomp from korg

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I also like mostly usable things but am tempted by that

I'm also tempted by stupid things

Like, I wanted my EQ, my compressor, basic fuzz, to just be normal and usable

But a totally crazy thing like that still tempts me

This is what made me buy BKP sinners and I was extremely pleased by the fact that they're also really good normal pickups once you roll down volume

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 23, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Comedy Klon recommendation

Klonedy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I have been wanting to purchase a few effects pedals to use as "outboard" gear from Ableton since I have been reading that this is a really good way to add some character to tracks I produce primarily in the box. The problem is I have no idea where to begin because there are a million pedals out there. Two effects that I have heard are good choices are distortion and reverb (would appreciate other recommendations too) but I have no idea what model/brand I should start with. Would it be worth it to stop by a pawn shop and just pick up a used one?

Can you post some links to youtube videos of songs with time stamps of sounds you like? This will be very helpful in figuring out what you want.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you wanna do that then just grab like any joyo that looks neat, they're pretty cheap.

You can also find the danelectro plastic ones out there used for real cheap (unless it's the occasional one that took off for some reason)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's ridiculous that you would cheap out on the one part of a pedal most likely to be subjected to physical abuse

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yes the SHO is a perfect beginner circuit: easy to build and is my favorite-sounding booster. I build the gently caress out of them:

Why do you not have these on a push-pull??

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They are going in combo pedals (something + booster).

Ah, cool.

You could sell them for a tidy profit as a guitar-onboard with a 9v connector and switched pot though, lord knows EMG sells an onboard boost for eighty dang dollars.

(I had a guitar that came with one standard and the body I bought for $40 on reverb had one, it's... okay? If you use it at maybe a third of its rated dB boost)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you're really, really good then solid core can look amazing, whoever wired up my vintage amp that I like for cleans/small break-up back in the 60s has that poo poo making nearly 90 degree turns and traveling so tidily it makes me ashamed of my own attempts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

just go through the algebra and calc 1 section up through applications of derivatives and you'll be set

Legit Paul's math notes are better than the textbooks any of my classes assigned and cost $0 instead of $150-300

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The only really good textbooks I had my whole undergrad time were David Griffiths' E&M and quantum mechanics books

Well, Carroll and Ostlie is good too but it's borderline not really undergrad

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Keeley Compressor is also a ross clone and I see some 2-knobs on Reverb for $75, 4 knobs for a little over $100. IIRC they're basically the same circuit, it's just that on the 2-knob the attack and the input gain are trim pots on the inside instead of knobs on the outside.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I still need to assemble my klon clone kit I bought for $40 but last weekend I was all wrapped up in beer bottling and cleaning stuff and this weekend I have the flu :rip:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have a nebulous digitech digital delay that I don't hate

it was free and I'm not sure how much that has to do with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

If a pedal is capable of taking 9-18 volts, would there ever be a reason not to use the higher voltage? I feel like all my pedals that can take 18v sound much better that way.

The only time I've really heard of pedals sounding better at low voltage is with some of the old fuzz pedals that got a nice sound when the battery was about to die and for those people have just modified the circuit to undervolt the thing from a steady source so you don't have to worry about the battery dying