Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone make a pedal that will take 2 effects and reverse their order in the chain with a switch? I thought I remembered seeing something like that online. (maybe some dude that makes a bunch of different switchers, kill switches, and stuff like that?) I'm getting a tremolo pedal, and I think it will sound cool in front of my input volume sensitive fuzz, but I would also want it at the end of the chain for tremoloed delay oscillations and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Dan at This1smyne is a very helpful guy who makes this thing called the "Flip Flop" that does basically what you describe. The thing to remember, though, is that it will flip the direction of the send and return. So if you have Tremolo > Fuzz > Chorus > Delay, it will make it into Delay > Chorus > Fuzz > Tremolo, which could leave you with some effects combinations you're not too fond of.

That seems close to what I want, but not quite. I use too many pedals for a full reversal to really be feasible. I was envisioning something more like a switcher with two loops where I could put the tremolo in one loop and the rest of my signal path in the other. Then I could switch between B>A and A>B. Actually it sounds like the Toadworks Roundabout Turbo might do this without a footswitch, but it also does a lot of stuff I don't really need. If I can't find a viable solution I'll put my electrical engineer guitarist to work on it :).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
That's exactly what I was thinking of, thanks.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Sounds to me basically like a more expensive but also more varied EHX Cathedral. YMMV.

Hey Agreed, do you know anything that covers the same ground as these two pedals but would be a little cheaper, or should I keep a lookout for a used Cathedral? I don't really need it to be stereo. Well, I don't really need it at all, but it sounds like fun.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Hungry Joe posted:

I've read some reviews that say that the korg pitchblack tuner pops when you turn it on, any goons have any experience with this?

I really don't want any more pedals that pop

I've got one and haven't had any problems with mine popping. The switch is even a "soft" one (don't know the technical term) that doesn't click when you step on it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CalvinDooglas posted:

I've got an MXR Phase 90 I'm gonna mod, hopefully tomorrow. Stock, this thing sounds great but distorts clean tone. I checked today and I have the non surface mount version, which means I can mess with the components. Anyone have experience with the R28 removal mod? Does it take care of the mid boost/distortion without overall volume loss?

I did that mod, but it was a long time ago (like 7 years). I don't remember there being any volume loss, and I definitely heard a difference between the premod and postmod sound. Try googling the mod; I think at one point I found some before and after soundclips.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

I now have 4 effects and it's enough that I feel like I need a single power supply for them. Unfortunately, I don't have much money.

Would it be a horrible idea to get something like this?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godlyke-PowerAll-PA9B-9V-Digital-Power-Supply-Basic-Kit?sku=150470

How bad will it be?

I use a 1-Spot on my ~7 pedalboard and I have no complaints. I've only ever gotten noise in one specific situation (in my house plugging into my POD with a Boss Space Echo, which is notoriously a noisy pedal anyway), and I've never felt the need to upgrade. Plus if I wanted a brick like the Pedal Power I'd need a bigger board.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

If I didn't already have a Memory Boy and Space Echo I'd buy this in a second.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Twlight posted:

This looks really cool although I'm In The same boat as you. Do you have an expression pedal set up on your space echo? I've been meaning to get one and try it but it's a hassle.

Not yet, but I'd like to. I've been doing some research into using one expression pedal with more than one effect. It would be cool to save space on my board, and it's not like you can use more than one at once anyway.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

Are the EHX Memory Boy or Memory Toy delay pedals worth it? I'm looking at getting a delay pedal and I love EHX pedals, but I know that the Memory Man series is way too much stuff for me that I wouldn't even know what to do with. Also I don't have that much money.

I love my Memory Boy, and wouldn't bother saving a few bucks on the MT. The delay sound is nice, feedback is fun, and even though I didn't think I would use the modulation features (didn't really understand how to use them honestly) they add a cool element to the sound. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Drifter287 posted:

Couple of quick questions:

1) I'm looking to get a Compressor, but I don't really know much about them. I know what they do in theory, but even after messing around with a Dynacomp for a bit in Guitar Center, I feel like I don't have a good conception of what the difference actually sounds like. I'm currently using a 7 string with EMG 707s into a 5150 II, and the only other pedals in my board are a tuner, noise gate, and (soon, but we'll get to that later) an OD pedal.

I was thinking the Dynacomp because its cheap, I've heard good things about it, and its simple. As I said, I messed around with one at GC and wasn't too impressed, but I've never been able to get a good feel for a pedal with the crappy setups they always have for demoing pedals. For 65 bucks, should I just grab one and sell it if I don't like it? What are some other options for reasonably priced compressors?

2) I want to get a tubescreamer or similar type of pedal. When my band recorded our EP, the engineer had a modded tubescreamer that we used for a couple of tracks and it sounded badass. Problem is, there are about a thousand different types of tubescreamers, lots of people seem to think some of the newer models are poo poo, etc. Any advice? I like my tone to be pretty big, dark, and heavy, which the 5150 does well, but I'd also like to be able to add a little more bite and definition. I'd also like to be able to kick it on over the 5150's clean channel and get a kind of gritty clean/crunch type tone. Doable?

This guy has reviewed a poo poo ton of compressors. They're mostly from a bass POV, but mostly should carry over to guitar usage. I ended up going with a BBE Opto Stomp, which I like (also using on bass) and is around your price range.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Someone please buy this and report back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZGDYJ77xA

I feel like I need to try that on bass.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The Metal Zone makes it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

mono posted:

So I tried out the Zoom and it's pretty sweet. Unfortunately they didn't have the Vox for me to try. The G3 has a shitload of pedals built in, and from what I gathered there was too many screechy sounding gain pedals. I really liked having all the different modulation effects though and I was able to get some pretty awesome sounds out of it. I'm still on the fence about it until I can try the Vox.

Yeah, I have the G3 on my board as an 'everything else' pedal after my fuzz and overdrive. It works great for that, but if you're picky about dirt you might not want to rely on it (or any multifx for that matter). I honestly haven't used it that much because my guitar band is on hiatus, but let me know if you have any specific questions and I can try to help you out. The main effects I use on it are tremolo, reverb, and delay (and bit-crusher :getin:).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

J Mascis plays an acoustic during his solo sets and has some sort of distortion unit that seems to work pretty well for him. Didn't get a good look at his feet, unfortunately, but it's something to look into.

That's ok, I'm sure he was looking at his feet enough for both of you :banjo:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Looking for some ideas on my setup. I currently run Fuzzrite Clone>Tuner>Rangemaster Clone>Garagetone Drivetrain (TS Clone)>Tremolo into a Reverend Hellhound. My amp is set mostly clean/Voxy I guess, and I use the Drivetrain & Rangemaster as my main dirt. Since I really like the Rangemaster and I kind of use the DT as a similar thing (low gain almost-clean boost that hits the amp harder) I'm wondering if that spot might be better used for something a little more different, but there's obviously a ton of options out there. Distortion? Other overdrive? Something really weird? Whatever I get needs to play well with others, since a lot of times I'm using one pedal for my rhythm dirt and cascading the other for lead sounds (or the Fuzzrite if I want to get really crazy). Also, it can't be too big because my Pedaltrain mini is pretty much full as it is. I'm the only guitarist in a garage-poppy trio.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket to me and my suggestion is to not buy anything.

Haha, yeah pretty much. I realized that it's kind of dumb to set 2 pedals to a similar sound and then complain about how they're covering the same ground. I'm going to mess around with setting the gain higher on the overdrive so I have more options.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Alright, you assholes - Moog MF Delay ordered. Also a PSA. If Musicians Friend has what you want you can email forums@musiciansfriend.com and get a 'custom quote'. They quoted me $165 for the Moog, which is probably similar to PGS or Prymaxe's better coupons but they didn't have it in stock anyway.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
All this Moog chat (MF Delay gets delivered today!) has me thinking about alternate expression pedal options, and now I'm just wondering if anything like this already exists. It would be a standalone pedal that outputs EXP voltage and plugs into any pedal with expression pedal input. Instead of controlling with your foot, though, it would have a couple different options:

1) LFO style, where the voltage is controlled by sine, square, s+h waves, etc.
2) Envelope generator, where you could set ADSR & have the envelope triggered by the guitar (or whatever) signal

So for example you could plug the pedal into the MF delay and have the delay time changing in a sine wave pattern. Or have the speed on a tremolo pedal fade up slowly when you play a chord before gradually slowing back down. I know I've seen some pedals with options like this built-in (like the speed changing tremolo) but it would be interesting to play around with those options with any device that can use an expression pedal already. I'm no engineer, though, so I have no clue how feasible it would be.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
If anyone else was curious, I did some more searching and found a few things that incorporate some what I was asking about. This looks pretty versatile & has more waveforms than I was expecting (you can also add expression pedal INPUTS to it to control ratio & range so you could build a pretty hilarious pyramid with pedals serving as expression pedals for a pedal serving as an expression pedal for another pedal). I still haven't run into anything on the envelope generator side of things, though.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of finally getting my pedalboard situation under control. Currently have a Pedaltrain mini with poo poo turned every which way to get it to fit & have to switch things out too much, so I'll probably be upgrading to the PT1 or similar.

-Power supplies: Voodoo Lab? Cioks? Something else? I will probably never have any more than 6-7 powered pedals on my board at any given time (famous last words, I know). It would be nice to have an 18v option in case I ever get a nicer bass compressor or something that could utilize it.

-Cables: I have the soldering ability to make my own. What's a good source for cable & jacks?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I finally have a pedalboard big enough to fit a volume pedal and now I'm wondering how feasible it is to use it for volume and expression. Something like a Boss FV 500 has expression out, but if I was using it as an expression (like to control delay time on a Moog MF) I wouldn't want it controlling volume at the same time. I should be able to put it in a bypass loop and disable/enable volume control that way, right? I'm wondering if there's a way to do the same thing for the expression side, too (with an A/B box instead of a looper), but I guess that would depend on how the specific effect reacts to having a cable plugged into the expression jack all the time. Does some or all of this make sense?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

havelock posted:

In my experience, having something plugged into the jack (physically) is what triggers the expression mode.

They make expression pedal sharing type things, where when the expression pedal isn't engaged for something it maintains the last voltage across it you had.

Thanks for the heads up; I should have known stuff like that existed already. Unless there's something out there way cheaper than the Mission Expressionator I'll probably just forget about that part. $200 is a lot to spend for the off-chance that I ever need to do volume changes without changing delay time or whatever (or I could just buy another delay so I have one that isn't controlled by the expression pedal :getin:)

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
It's nothing too special, but I feel good about finally having a real pedalboard. First time soldering patch cables, too!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I have a MF Delay on my bass board (not going through an FX loop) and mine pops too. Hasn't bothered me too much, but it's there.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Turkey Farts posted:

Do all the Minifoogers run off +9v rather than -9v? Or did they just label the jack weird?

Hmm, the website says +9V but I don't have my MF Delay setup any different from the rest of my pedals. :shrug:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Finished my pedalboard...

...well, until I'm at a point where getting a G70 isn't a complete waste of money.

Hey Keeley buddy. It's great, isn't it? I keep meaning to cover up that blue LED though, holy poo poo. I just got that Malekko Diabolik and I haven't gotten a chance to use it at practice but it seems crazy (unity gain on the clean blend is at 9 o'clock!). The silver one is a 4ms tremolo.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Over the last month I've gone from not really having a use for my delay (Moog Minifooger) on my pedalboard and putting it up for sale/trade to starting to dive in and appreciate it more. Well, I just bought an Echorec and am planning to be a 2 delay bassist. I used to have a Boss Space Echo, and it will be really fun to get back into some multitap sounds!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

After The War posted:

You have achieved my teenage dream of becoming Roger Waters.

Thanks, I'll warn my bandmates. :v:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Help me understand buffers. Compared to plugging straight into my amp there's definitely some signal loss in my pedalboard when everything is off, but that literally never happens because my compressor & VT Bass are on all the time. Does that mean a buffer would be pointless for me? Should I just bump up the output on my pedals a bit and forget about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I've heard bad things from other people about ordering things not in stock from Prymaxe. IIRC someone was saying they'll try to refund you in store credit if you cancel. Only experience I've had is ordering a b-stock pedal from them on Reverb, which I returned and they tried to claim they didn't get it. I eventually did get my money back after three weeks.