Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
This is going to be a long shot, but do you guys remember when the Wasabi overdrive pedal was only 20 bucks? That was awesome. I didn't pick one up because I thought I didn't need one at the moment. Ebay has two for $40+, they must have been amazing pedals because there are NO used ones being sold. Kicking myself here...

Either way, I'm looking for a good overdrive pedal because while my Boss MD-2 is face meltingly awesome I'm looking for a nice blues crunch. If any of you don't use their Wasabi OD anymore I'd gladly take it off your hands for what you paid Musician's friend + shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Agreed posted:

Sorry that I can't give you anything more than words, but the Wasabi OD really is amazing. I have two, one from each $20 deal round, and I don't plan on parting with either of them. They're just too handy, it's one OD for anything you need including clean boosting.

:cry:
Well they're sure to drop down to $20 on MF any day now, right? :(

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Stabbing Spork posted:

the Wasabi Overdrive is $49.99 again, if you can find a friend in the states to ship it to, and then have them ship it to you you'll be all set. Last time it went for this price lots of people jumped on the deal. It's not an distortion, but a boost/overdrive pedal, but it is really really good. gogogogogo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Wasabi-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=151909

Done and done. Thanks a lot. Still kicking myself for not jumping on the $20 deal but this hurts a lot less than $130.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

one thing I've never quite understood- what exactly is the difference between overdrive and distortion?

Nirvana, Green Day, Tool, Iron Maiden - distortion.

Zeppelin, (some) Clapton (Layla), Hendrix, - overdrive.

Agreed is right, overdrive makes the signal dirty, distortion completely changes the sound. "Overdriving" refers to pushing the tubes of an amp past their clean level.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Cross posting from the post your new gear thread.

Left to right: Digitech Digiverb, Wasabi Chorus/Trem, Wasabi OD, Boss MD-2, Snarling Dogs Blues Bawls wah pedal.

I love all of them, especially the MD-2 and the wah. My pedalboard is held together using bicycle chain links. I posted a guide on how to put it together (with lots of pictures) but I think it's been archived.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
After running straight into my amp for several classic rock/jazzy sets I'm back to using effects. I decided to rip everything off the pedalboard and play around with the order of the pedals.
I'm currently playing an alt/indie 3 piece so I'm responsible for a lot of different sounds that we come up with. Especially since our guitarist plays keys sometimes and I need to keep the grit of the song going.

Current setup

Spector Euro 4LX
\/
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0
\/
Effects Loop Send
\/
Boss TU-2 Tuner (I know I have a tuner out, I just don't want another cable to deal with. If this is insane, let me know.)
\/
Boss LMB-3 Limiter/Enhancer - Not a ton of limit, just keeps me evened out. I keep the enhancer part off and I'm still messing with the ratio and threshold knobs. This pedal is brand new to me.
\/
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi - Tone at 3, Sustain at 1:30
\/
Snarling Dogs Blues Bawls Wah - This is one of my favorite pedals. It's technically a guitar pedal but sounds great with bass. I have the Wah type on "White Room" which gives it a Creamy (get it?) deep rounded out wah sound. It also has an overdrive circuit that I'm still playing with for the right balance.
\/
Wasabi Trem/Chorus pedal - Both effects are very light. Noticeable but it's not in your face. I'll run the Chorus with the Fuzz a lot of the time. Sounds awesome!
\/
Effects Loop Return
\/

Any feedback about pedal placement would be appreciated. Especially the placement of the limiter. Should I be limiting at the beginning of my chain like it is now or right between the Wah and Chorus/Trem? I'm having a bit of trouble hearing a difference but I'm currently in my apartment and can't make a ton of noise. I'll do some tweaking this Sunday at practice but I'd like to have most of the kinks worked out beforehand. Especially the pedal order. I want to tweak the knobs, not rip everything apart.

I'll post pics when it's in its final order. I have a sweet home made pedal board that I made from a couple pieces of wood and a door handle. I actually drill the pedals in using bicycle chain links threaded through the screws on the back.

Also, if you got to add one more pedal to this set (that's all I have room for!) what would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I do keep the gain pretty high on the amp. I'll try running it straight into the amp. Is it really worth the hassle of running just one pedal through the effects loop? I'll play around with how it sounds but I keep the pedalboard pretty far from the amp head so I'd be looking at another 40 feet of cables.