Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

JD posted:

Thanks, great ideas. I'm not really looking for Hendrix tone though, he's just my biggest influence in my playing style.

And yeah, I was thinking of the OCD as a boost, and a fuzz to really dirty up and bring out the lows. My buddy plays an OCD through his hughes & kettner 36watt and it sounds killer.

I know most purist will kill me over this but, Joyo makes a "vintage overdrive" that is a really good clone of the OCD and 1/5th the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

duckfarts posted:

I was about to post about this actually; I got the Joyo Ultimate Drive recently, and that's supposed to be the OCD clone. I haven't heard an actual OCD before, but this thing is fantastic if you want a nice fat, warm crunch and it's only 30 bucks, which is loving ridiculous.

That might be right, might have them confused. But, what most people say is that they are shoddy construction. But, it is steel and I imagine as long as you dont abuse the switch it will be fine. Like I said, purist hate them. But if you are considering buying a OCD, I would at least look into it.

To put it bluntly, if I was thinking about buying a OCD, I would buy the JOYO without thinking twice.

edit: Talking about this, and wanting a chorus pedal, I went ahead and bought the JOYO analog chorus.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

JD posted:

I can only seem to find foreign reviews of it... Pedal sounds pretty nice though, I'll def try to hear it through my rig if I can, thanks.

Check out this dude. Has literally $100,000s worth of equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je6CVLt_CSw

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

NonzeroCircle posted:

I got my brother a JOYO Flanger for his birthday, never got a note out of it, had to send it back. It felt very cheap, though not as bad as a plastic Behringer.

it's the same concept of epiphone/squier, they stay in business because out of every 10 there are a few that are very passable and when people hear those they buy into it.

I have looked into it alot and for the most part people like them once they get past the name on it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

You could also just use a blank panel and attach the pedals to the face of your rack with velcro. Or just put them on top of your rack I guess

I would second this, you dont damage anything and really if you cover the whole bottom of a pedal with velcro, it is not going to go anywhere. You could put it sideways and carry it and they would stay attached. ( not recommended but, I have done it before )

Jam2 posted:

What { hardware | software | signal processing components } can be used to create the vocal effects used in this performance?

Volcano Choir - Comrade (Live)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvp305B9FoQ

That sounds like a soft chromatic pitch correction (auto tuning) alot of companies make vocal pedals. I have the boss ve-20 and it can do that and then some, well alot more.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 6, 2013

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
edit: double post.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

So my 10 year old TS9 died, I think, yesterday, and I've got a gig tomorrow.

It does the strangest thing. It lights up when stomped, but there's no discernible change in the sound when its on. Tried powering it through the battery and through the adapter. Anybody ever have this problem?

this happened to my delay pedal, chances are its the chip that died. a break in the solder usually ends up in weird noises or total failure.

sorry, rip

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

Broken solder at one of the lugs on the gain pot :) all fixed

great news! ts are awesome pedals

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
looking for a Iron Ether Nimbus- if anyone can find one locally or Internet lemme know.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
my usual set up is: guitar -> tuner -> fuzz/dist. -> clean boost(switch these depending on the pedals) -> modulation (reverb/chorus/phaser) -> delay -> amp

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

NovaLion posted:

I'm running this line right now. It's sort of wonky, but it's working extremely well for my uses.

Compressor -> OD -> Wah -> EQ -> Tuner
->FX Loop Send<-
Gate -> Reverb -> Delay -> Chorus
->FX Loop Return<-
Volume
Z-12

If I needed/used a phaser I'd put it in the FX loop with all the other modulation.

My actual line goes SG EB3 knock off---> saturn works A/b/y ---> korg pitch black ---> wooly mammoth clone ---> caroline icarus boost ---> saturworks looper w/ feedback ---> line 6 DL4 ---> boss CE-5 ---> back to looper ---> channel one ampeg v4

saturn works a/B/y ----> Boss VE-20 ---> channel two ampeg v4

noise/ambience on lock and almost zero tone drop ( tested it by a/b the first line against a clear line )

edit: I can not recommend the icarus boost enough. It is a pedal made locally in Columbia,SC and almost any serious musician here has one. It is almost a "better" pedal. Often people just leave it on the whole time.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 13, 2013

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
have you tried NYC pedal boards?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus, smart buy? I want to upgrade from my onespot and have something that will last me pretty much forever. I haven't heard anything but positives about it but i wanted to run it past this thread before going for it.

voodoo labs are pretty much the standard, can't go wrong with them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's what I figured. It seems like you either see those or the built ins on custom boards. Cool!

Yeah if I ever get more demanding pedals I will grab them. But three of my pedals are customized to pull almost no current. The woolly mammoth fuzz clone I have could use one 9v battery almost forever.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, grab em. Are there any specifically you want to know about? I have a US Dream, Sweet Baby, and Vintage OD (and the compressor)

their harnessing and guts are kinda cheap, if you wanna mess around at the house- get em if you plan on gigging them a lot - I wouldn't.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Balls Macintosh posted:

The board itself (and power supply). I have the pedals somewhat picked out - boss tuner, carbon copy, compressor, and boost.

can I suggest a Caroline Icarus boost? it's made in my town and seriously the best boost I have ever heard. Almost every serious musician here uses one.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
anyone have any suggestions for a volume pedal that doesn't suck tone?

thinking about just putting one in a loop but kinda destroys the convenience, might as well use the knobs on my guitar

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Get one with a buffered input. Or you can put a buffer right before your volume pedal.

any particular model you'd suggest? I have modded before but I've noticed volume pedals go bad pretty quickly so would like to keep the warranty on one.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
yeah I meant a buffered volume pedal. So how would placing a buffered signal before the tone sucking volume pedal help?

I can understand it after it a bit more, that seems to make more sense to me. I have a few buffered pedals sitting around but I feel like most of those suck tone too, seems to be just a no win.

besides the buffered volume pedal or mod

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Basically the buffer increases the impedance of your guitar signal and helps it to overcome the tone suck. You can also use a treble booster.

It's usually supposed to go before everything in the chain ~to preserve your tonez~ but you can experiment with where you place it. For example, you shouldn't put it before a fuzz pedal (because the low impedance is what gives the fuzz its sound).

I have a clean boost, would that be good nuff for running in front of the volume pedal?

thanks for all the help!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

Yes. A buffer is usually just a simple op-amp or a simple transistor set up to run at unity gain (+1), so set your clean boost at unity gain and it will act as a buffer. It may not have ideal characteristics like the aforementioned very high input and very low output impedance, but if the pedal maker did they job well, it should.

sorry I am very laymen here is gain+1 just an ear thing or a certain point/mark I should focus on?

that being said, is the eb jr any good or is there any recommended volume pedal I should look for at the same price mark range.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Looking for a decent octave pedal, I heard the microPOG and POG2 are really good, also saw someone playing a Trex Octave pedal and it sounded sweet. Are there any other suggestions I should consider?

I would like it to be able to handle chords, also bass/guitar friendly.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Sounds like the microPOG is what I should grab, do you think it would be able emulate stuff like this on bass? I am not entirely sure but I think they use an octaver, on some of their records they do a chimey synth like stuff which I THINK is just an octave up?

any experience or opinion on the OC3?

For reference:
Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZINrCk1xM

The synthy stuff is at the beginning - record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFjXVGFvb6U

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 14, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Scarf posted:

I can tell you right off the bat you won't be able to get that sound from the MicroPOG alone... You'll need some kind of dirt/fuzz behind it. Yeah I can't really tell what they're using or if they're just tuned way the gently caress down.

I've played around with OC3s in shops, but I've never owned one. I've always just kind of thought of them as being mediocre in terms of tracking/triggering, but they have that nice warm, dirty sounding octave that the OC2 had. Also, the polyphonic mode on the OC3 isn't true polyphonic. It only tracks the first note you play in the chord, generating the octave for that note, and then allowing the rest of the notes to pass through "dry."

Alright, yeah I was definitely going to run some fuzz with it as well. You might be right, the only reason I thought it could be an octave was the fact they use it a bit in their recordings.

That is good to know about the OC3, I was tempted to grab one since they are much cheaper. Might just wait and grab a Trex or MicroPOG just keep an eye out for a deal on one.

Wanted to use it for a organ/synth sound for bass and to replace a bassist for guitar. Thanks!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
The joyo dudes are hit or miss. 50/50 shot it will come in with the harnessing hosed. if you know anything about electronic stuff, when you get it, remount it and clean it up. the joyo pedals are notoriously fragile. my chorus ate poo poo within 2 weeks.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know poo poo about the electronics inside pedals :( Will it be a big deal if I constantly keep it on a desk? I won't be using it for gigs, at least not for the foreseeable future, and it'll pretty much just be for bedroom recording sessions.

I should be alright but don't quote me. a friend of mine gigs with their OCD clone and even tours with it, he just got one of the reliable ones I guess

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I mean really, we all know they are made in some shirty warehouse so, just think it depends which set of overworked hands gets on the particular box.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Yarbald posted:

I have two DL4s that I use for live looping, mainly to take advantage of the speed/one hit functions; I can record a quick sample on each one and then play "riffs" with them (a la Dave Knudson from Minus the Bear). Putting them in delay mode is nice too, and gives me either three or six more delay effects (in addition to my DD20 and Memory Man).

Actually recording loops is really hard though, at least in a band. Even when we play to a click the loop still drifts off tempo.

that and unless you have your DL4 modded, there is a noticeable volume drop when in loop mode

That being said if you are interested in one, I have one for sale. non modded though and their switches are notoriously poor.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Stravinsky posted:

Open it up and see if the wires have decided to come off of the input or output jacks.

this or the solder could be lose on one of them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hey agreed (or anyone else In the know), I am considering another fuzz box for my board. Didn't like any standard muff or rat with it, is there any fuzz you'd suggest to compliment a wooly mammoth clone?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

I got my Dispatch Master yesterday and I've had lots of fun playing around with it. I'm convinced I'm gonna sell my Cathedral, but I may hang on to my DD7 just to have an additional delay. Although I'm not entirely sure yet. Gotta keep playing with it.

Yeah I run a Guyatone Md5 behind the DM to get real long delays when I need it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
One day at practice my EBVP decided to not push all the way up anymore, heel position. So, I took it apart and reset it, now I cant seem to get it to taper gently anymore - ie with fuzz it goes from full fuzz to clean with a flick of the toe. And when I try to reset it again, it now will not go through the full range from full clockwise to full counter (toe to heel)

I ordered the 4 dollar restring kit because, why not? Any suggestions what to look for besides what the video says to do. Do you think this was an issue of the string losing tension/elasticity?

Agreed, I am looking at you. The volume pedal WAS doing swells fine and then one day it decided to be really sensitive. Is this a possible issue with the pot ( no scratchiness or anything ) or just a new string thing?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

I would guess the pot before you even got any further than "My passive volume pedal is having issues, and they are-" just because it's such a dead simple circuit and that's the most likely point of failure. Can't hurt to restring it, next to free to do once, and hey maybe it is just not gripping worth a poo poo and that's what's going on. But if that doesn't fix it...

That's what I figured and from what I can see, replacing the pot won't be toooo difficult.

the reason the string came to mind is that i put a marks on the brass knob on the inside, a + for most clockwise position and - for most counter.

when I rolled it from heel to toe, it never reached to the full + (when I strung it at most counter position at heel) then I strung it at most clockwise position and that is when it would taper real sudden and not reach the "-" position.

Any recommendation for a replacement [inexpensive but decent] pot incase this string doesn't work out? I should shoot for 500k, right?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, VPJRs use a 500k pot. I think the shafts are longer for a volume pedal but I'm not positive.

From what I can see, they are not interchangeable. Really hoping it's the string, just the fact after it started messing up- it wouldn't stay at the heel position makes think it's that.

ill definitely keep y'all updated, hopefully I can fix it before my jm gets here. :smith:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

gypsyshred posted:

So I've acquired a Mister Crybaby volume/wah, and I like it, but I wish the volume function was tuned better. It feels like 0-66% is silence and the swell happens at 67-100%. Is there any way to mod it so I have a clean swell over the full sweep?

not positive but replacing the pot with a 500k would probably help, I believe.

I just fixed my ebvp a bit by adding a new string/spring

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

I am borrowing this curddy zoom 505 ( wait, its actually pretty sweet.) and there is this cool delay kind of thing I want to recreate.

I don't know what kind of pedal can get this effect but I'm hoping it would be possible on a carbon copy because I was planning on getting one of those.

Its basically a repeat of the first sound. Same volume and everything. Just one repeat though, like a stutter.I hit a note and hear it twice in very short succession. The effect its paired with has tons of outrages fuzz and I really dig the thickness of the stutter and fuzz.

What is this one time delay effect?
(I can post video or sound if needed)

E: I googled but I am going for something faster than this http://www.howcast.com/videos/510122-How-to-Create-a-Single-Delay-Effect-Guitar-Pedals

Less of a delay and more of a doubled up fat sound. I might just have to make that vid >>

that's called a "slap back" delay and almost any pedal can recreate. CC for sure. Just set repeats on super low, timing high and level around 2-3 usually works it out.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Please advise:

I put my Zvex Instant Lo Fi Junky up for sale on Craigslist because I haven't found a way to make its sounds work well with the rest of my chain and even on its own I don't use it that often. This guy e-mailed me asking if I wanted to trade and I told him that the only pedals that were on my must-get list now are a fuzz, a chorus and a reverb similar to that Hardwire Supernatural or the Eventide Space. He listed off all his pedals and only two jumped out at me as ones I might be interested in: Wattson EFY-6 and Maestro Brassmaster (he said it's a hand wired clone). I looked up both of those on YouTube and they both sound gnarly as gently caress but I don't know which would be better for me. The Brassmaster is a bass pedal first and foremost, right? But I read that some guitar players use it too. And I also read that that one is crazy valuable, though this is a clone of it and as such wouldn't be as valuable, but maybe its sound still would be.

Thoughts? I'll be using it with a Squier Jazzmaster, a Fender acoustic electric and a Roland synth. And I usually play ambient/post-rock type stuff, but if I had a fuzz, I don't know if I'd use that to make the same kind of stuff or something different entirely.

e: I do have a Squier Jaguar bass that I could use the Brassmaster with, too, but I don't use that bass all that much. Maybe I should get the pedal as an excuse to use that bass more haha

I love the lofi junkie of course it's also cause I love drone poo poo, oh god it sounds so cool with heavy reverb

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
wave at far left. speed at 2 o'clock. depth max, lofi max, tone 12 or above (depending on brightness of guitar) and volume based how you like it. add in reverb and welcome to my setting for it.

creepy mode :colbert:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Going to have a bit of time over the summer so, I figure I might as well learn how to build pedals.

What would be a good site to order/info on doing so? I know byoc is pretty good but really it seems all their pedals, I can just buy for almost the same price.

is there another site that is cheaper or more accessible than spending 100 bucks on a project when I could just buy just as good pedal already made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

havelock posted:

Fair enough. I thought you just looked at the pcbs of the one you bought, rather than having any sort of inside info.

On the building yourself front, I've found doing it to save money is the wrong approach. Build because you want something different or you like soldering or you want a hobby. Once you start talking about enclosure painting and drilling and graphics and good components, etc., it's hardly a break even proposition, especially if you value your time at more than $0/hr.

One place that hasn't been mentioned is madbeanpedals.com. They have great, cheap PCBs for pretty common circuits with some nice mods built into them. I built a ge fuzz face in a 1590a and a muff that I modded with switchable diodes (LED, diode, off for each stage) off his PCBs.

I use either mammoth or small bear for the rest. Mammoth does nice drilled enclosures, though some report some finishing problems.

not doing it to save money persay but, I certainly don't want to spend $100 to build a pedal I could buy for $100.

I am interested in learning and will have time to kill. if I can build solid pedals for 30-60 bucks and give to my friends- id be happy.

I think with all this info, I'll be on the road to figuring it out, once I get on a computer. thanks for all the tips!