Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Following the general circle jerk over the ISP Decimator (over in the new gear thread), I have a question;

Should I get a Boss NS=2 (which my mate uses, and I quite like, though his setup is nothing like mine), or spend a bit more on the aforementioned Decimator?

My problem is thus-

I have a daisy chain power supply (although I have ended up using my main distortion, a Shredmaster off a separate supply due to the following issue) and if I put my pedals in any order other than Shredmaster>CF7(chorus)>Vox Time Machine (delay), I get a HIDEOUS shrieking tone (not feedback, but mental line noise) come through.

It'd be nice to be able to include a couple of other pedals I have lying around in my setup, but anything other than this precise order creates the shriek. Will the DSP be able to prevent this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Hungry Joe posted:

Yea I have a NS-2 and that's what I do. I run my guitar, wah and comp into the input on the pedal. Then I make a separate loop for the noisy pedals by running a cable from the send slot. After looping all my noisy pedals from the send, I close the loop by plugging a cable into the return slot. Then I just run a final cable from the output to the rest of my non-noisy pedals and then the amp.

picture for clarity

Homer you genius! This makes a lot more sense to me now I have seen a diagram.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Uncle Phil posted:

Boss SYB-5 Bass Synth

I got one a couple of days ago too. It feels like it REALLY needs the expression pedal to make the most out of it, especially setting number 8, so maybe look into getting one of those? It's also a handy addition in the long run as a lot of more high end pedals can utilise them in one way or another, for example to control delay time.

If you are really struggling with the SYB 5, I would suggest reading a basic guide to synthesis and perhaps one on waveshaping to get a better idea of what the knobs you are tweaking are actually doing to your sound, it will make it a lot less hit and miss.

Make sure the SYB is first in your pedal chain: this gives it the most accurate pitch tracking. Also bear in mind that only settings 10 and 11 are polyphonic, (will allow you to play chords without going mental) the actual synth settings are only monophonic and you have to play cleanly to get the most out of it.

Whilst it may seem stupid to have to adjust your playing style to make a pedal work, in the long run your technique will benefit too from having to play so cleanly.

In regards to your distortion lust, your overdrive adds grit and warmth, rather than distortion. Although they all do similar things, there is a big difference between how an overdrive, a distortion (like your RAT) and a fuzz pedal (the Muffs) will act upon your signal, and again placement in the chain will have a huge effect on how it sounds.

I tend towards leaving distortions to second last in my chain (only the delay between distortion and amp) and have all my other poo poo (SYB 5, Whammy and wah) before it.

Hopefully I don't sound too dickish, but I think doing a little research on what these effects do to your signal will be really useful for you.

Good luck, and post any decent settings you come up with on your SYB!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Uncle Phil posted:

Thanks for this post, also thanks for your input Scarf.

I sold the SYB for what I had into it, just not what I wanted.

You do not sound dickish, I actually covet this knowledge. Is there a good resource I can just read on this? or is this investigation and piecing it all together?

I am cutting the RAT out of my bass arsenal. It destroys my low ends. Bass overdrive is all I have right now, but I am going to have an elctroharmonix reverb this weekend. Going to do some research before I get into the more serious pedals, but looking to get into them ASAP. So, bring the knowledge my friends.

A good place to check out (in general) is musicradar.com- it's the collective website for Total Guitar, Future Music, Computer Music etc etc- basically all the muso mags published by Future (here in the UK, anyway). Basically covers everything you'll need.

Amptone isn't the sexiest looking site out there, but has a wealth of info for all your pedal needs.

Here's their take on differences between distortion/fuzz etc

http://www.amptone.com/distpedtypes.htm

Beyond that, I think you may actually be better off (for now) getting a second hand cheapy bass multi-fx unit (Zoom 506 for example) off the 'bay or something, that way you can try out the majority of effects cheaply and easily (even more oddball ones like SYB style synths that cost loads on their own and can be tricky to track down) and find out what you like and go from there. It's also a handy way of trying out combinations of effects- it's amazing what a difference a bit of chorus will do to a delayed (echoed) sound.

I reckon Scarf pretty much has it covered in terms of bass essentials (I'm pretty jealous- could really do with an autowah/envelope filter and the EH ones are so sexy) so go from his board as a starting point for types (not necessarily models) of pedal to look into.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

xkem posted:

I have been looking at the SYB-5 (for my bass), I am running Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol (which I am loving) but am thinking if I can't get the same as what the SYB-5 is offering (which I'm sure I could if I spent about 2 years trying to emulate it) I might just buy it. But in terms of simplicity and speed, the GR4 is so simple to use and swapping effects around in the chain is effortless, although I have heard a lot of people say 'it just isn't the same as the real thing', I am no pro and the sounds I am getting seem awesome enough to keep me happy for a long time.

If anyone has any advice on the syb-5 that would be good, I'm reading a lot of mixed reports, a lot of guys dislike the temperament of the expression pedal and get rid of the whole thing straight away, others love it.

Psychedelay ftw!

I have an SYB-5 (no expression pedal mind, so couldn't comment on that)- my one complaint is that it is too loud- you have to have both the wet and dry mix knobs at about 9 o'clock, or it won't be a balanced level when it's off. This is even more pronounced when using a distortion after it- it needs to be first in your chain (except maybe a compressor) to get the most accurate tracking out of it.

You also have to be a VERY clean player to get the most out of it- if you hit 2 notes when in synth mode (which is monophonic, ie one note, whilst the waveshaper is polyphonic and can handle chords) you will get some pretty mad sounds as it tries to track two notes at once. Sound wise, it definitely benefits having some effects after it too- a bit of chorus and delay really bring it to life.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

TriggerHappy posted:

I'm looking for a decent EQ pedal, and the MXR 10 band looks awesome, but I have a couple 9V spots left on my power supply chain. Is the Boss EQ-7 or whatever a decent choice?

My little brother got an MXR 10 band eq earlier this year- really nice pedal, fairly solid, simple layout and you can coax a lot of different sounds out of it. If nothing else, being able to cut out subbass frequencies (60hz) is really handy for getting rid of excess rumble at volume.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

mono posted:

Does anyone have any experiences with the Vox ToneLab ST and Zoom G3? I'm looking for some kind of multi-effects pedal to play around with at home and I'm leaning towards the G3 since it has loop functions and a built in drum machine that I may or may not use. I haven't gotten to try either pedal out yet, but so far I like the layout and feature set of the Vox but really want some loop action. Am I better off going with the Vox and getting a separate loop pedal down the road or is the G3 decent enough to start with?

Whilst both units have received good reviews, just from looking at the specs, I'd lean more towards the Vox. First of all, you have the expression/volume pedal which will give you more versatility (especially as it can be linked to almost any parameter) as well as adding a 'fun factor'.

Second, the overall tones (it has a goddamn tube in there!) are going to sound better and you will find it a bit more instantly useable- I've had a few Zoom's in my time, and sublety has never been one of their strong points. Obviously, you are gonna be tweaking sounds anyway, but I've always found Zooms to be a bit 'plastic' sounding, particularly the drum sounds. This is just my taste, however.

Thirdly, resale value on a Vox is always gonna be better for if/when you decide to move on, and a looper pedal (like the Boss RC2 or Digitech JamMan Solo) will have some more versatility, plus again, better resale value. It would also mean that you can keep your looper pedal if you sell the multifx, and can also experiment with different positions in your chain.

However, the workflow on these pedals is different and that is a key part in deciding which way to go. The Zoom G3 acts like three regular stompboxes glued together, so each switch toggles that effect on/off. Conversely, the Tonelab cycles up and down through patches, so, for example, if you like a distortion tone on there, and want the same setup but with a chorus pedal in the chain, you would duplicate the patch to the slot above or below and add the effect, whereas on the Zoom it is simply a case of turning that module on.

If you were thinking about using the USB audio interface capabilities, the Zoom comes with Steinberg Sequel (essentially a very cut down, but still very useable version of Cubase) whereas the Tonelab comes with very in-depth patch management software, but no DAW.

Also look into the Boss ME-25 (my multi of choice), it's a similar price point to the G3, but has a similar workflow to the Vox and comes with an expression pedal (though it's nowhere near as versatile as the Tonelab's). Ships with Sonar LE too.

At the end of the day, I'm afraid it comes down to the old 'try both and see which you prefer'- whilst I don't mind cycling through patches, you may find the Zoom's 3 in 1 approach more useable, and you might find you prefer the sound too.

Hope this was some use!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So long as you have a stereo cable then connecting your Line 6 should be no problem- I used to use a Boss one with my old Zoom bass multifx.

Don't get me wrong about Zoom, if it weren't for my old 707 (somehow I've acquired another of these over the years) and 505 (the bass one), then I would probably have never got into effects beyond distortion. I think for a lot of us who started playing in the late 90's, a Zoom will have featured in our setup for at least a little while.

Modelling in general has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years so go with what feels and sounds right for you- I'm a gearhound so the Vox appeals to me on that basis, but if you want simplicity (never a bad thing!) then the G3 is almost certainly the better option, especially if you already have an expression pedal kicking about.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Awesome dude, post up some samples!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright dudes, looking for a really, really good distortion pedal that I can trust regardless of what amp I'm using. I'll be using it with passive guitars mostly. I want something that plays well with other pedals/a wah and has a very solid brutal sound to go well with my 7 string. I'm leaning towards the Metal Muff since the YouTube demos sound incredible but I'm open to anything. The sound I want could be described as sludge with a punchy proggy tightness. Something between Mastodon and Meshuggah (I'm not stupid enough to expect those tones but I wanted an example.)

The Metal Muff is probably my favorite of my distortions; It has a lot of gain on offer, a very tweakable EQ section, and, as long as you're subtle (seriously, past 10 o'clock is inviting pain), the top boost is great for giving you a second tone to switch to between verse/chorus or whatever. I play a (poo poo) passive 7 string through mine and can get a decent Strapping Young Lad/Fear Factory-ish tone without any trouble, does the early KoRn chug well, and can do a passable impression of Rammstein. If you roll back the gain some, you can get some nice tight-but-hairy rhythm sounds. For £45 it's worth a punt, and EH stuff holds its value fairly well.

I set my amp's eq flat (Newer Peavey Bandit combo) and run the Muff into the clean channel, it's the basis of my dirty tone when playing. Currently goes with a Wasabi Chorus/trem and a Vox Time Machine delay, but behaved itself with a Whammy 4, plus various other pedals I used to own/borrowed.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 30, 2013

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got my brother a JOYO Flanger for his birthday, never got a note out of it, had to send it back. It felt very cheap, though not as bad as a plastic Behringer.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 5, 2013

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Amplitube sounds really really good, but I prefer the layout of Guitar Rig, and you can achieve some great results with tweaking. I'd say if you want 'normal' guitar sounds then Amplitube is the way to go, but if you like out-there stuff then GR has some great modules from Traktor included, plus it has some SSL type compressors etc and is probably more useful as an all round fx suite for synths, processed vocals etc.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't have a POD but is it possible to modulate the volume with the expression pedal too so from 0 to 100 drive it is set to say 100 to 30 volume or something, like invert it? I do this with Guitar Rig and it works after some fiddling, but dunno of the POD can do this

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Genius! Well done man, pleased you figured it out

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Many moons ago I had a Nobels bass overdrive (no idea what happened to it) but that thing was built like a drat tank and had the sound to match.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Metal Muff is amazeballs for high gain sounds.
With some tweaking and fancy footwork turning the top boost on and off you can nail both tones of the alternating trem picked bit at 1.38 in
https://youtu.be/c0uNhebClgE

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Metal Muff can be gentler at low gain settings but its forte is stupid high gain percussive tones. It'll never be a gentle booster, when I was still using my Bandit 112 (stuck with modellers atm) I used the Muff through the clean channel as my dirty tone- it does the one thing and it does it well but much as I love it I appreciate it is not for everyone. Gain under 10 o'clock will do you well, and the eq is very responsive, a disarmingly delicate touch is needed, especially with the mids and Top Boost knob. If you can try one it can't hurt, YouTube doesn't really do it justice and it is also very dependent on the eq on the amp. Scooped on the amp is not its friend.

With chorus pedals, try out as many as you can. My brother and I have been through about 5 between us (not counting multis) and finding one that didn't clip eluded us, particularly the more analogue wannabe ones. Still have a Wasabi one that sounds thick and can get seriously wobbly but strum too enthusiastically and it is not a happy bunny.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 21, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Why not get one that does both? Strymon have a new one out that is getting rave reviews, though it is pricey.

I still love my Vox Time Machine, can't see myself ever replacing it, does analogueish and pristine, goes super long (up to six seconds!) and can feedback like a mofo.

Used to have one of the Roland Space Echo pedals and that was really vibey.

Edit: just re read and realised you are talking about a decent unit you already own

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Dunno if they still make them but my Vox Time Machine is awesome. 6 seconds between taps!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My secret to wah is putting too much chorus with it and playing along to these guys because I'm convinced its still actually the 90s

https://youtu.be/nOZTYoI3dL0

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wah before chorus because my multi is hard wired signal path, though for general use I tend to have wah later in the chain on Amplitube. It's such a synthy tone, the guitarist used the Line 6 filter modeller a lot too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Recently started using my amp again, works fine despite not having been on in 4 years. Thought I'd hook some pedals up as I've "borrowed" my brother's DS1 as a less insane stand in for my metal muff.

I tried using my OneSpot, nothing. Tried using individual PSUs, nothing. Then after 10 mins of trying different combos of PSUs I realised I hadn't switched the extension lead on and the amp was in at the wall which is why that worked but no pedals. :doh:

The DS1 is pretty ok though, even for my drop B nonsense. And the 1 Spot powers me 4 pedals no problem

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The DS1 i have is unmodded or anything, i think the Keeley Mod is the go-to for it. At 10 distortion it is more than hairy enough, have to roll the tone back to around 11 as my RG is super trebly despite stupid low tuning. I've mostly been using the DS1 model on my ME 50 at band practice so makes sense to cut it down to something not the size of a battleship. The other guitarist has a really thick mid heavy tone so a bit of pointiness on mine helps me cut through

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's an Alesis Microverb going for £40 in a Wants store. I dont need it, and have no way of linking it to Cubase, but it looks so drat cool, taking a lot of restraint here.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
or gtfo

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Run it through a spectrum analyser and view the face of God.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
An expression/general controller pedal makes Amplitube come to life. Still can't quite make the 'auto' mode on the wahs work with my FBV as i want though. On the other hand, mapping modulation rates is grand

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Could be because tap is more fluid in a band situation? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a more precise pedal (and always use tempo sync on Amplitube etc), whereas my bassist prefers a set and forget for his main band where he plays guitar and takes the piss out of my need for tap.

Out of interest are there many pedals put there where tap will subdivide into triplets?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Do you mean as a real time processor? Amplitube(definitely on iPad as a standalone thing) can get you some of the way towards weird synthiness but I always found Guitar Rig (unsure if useable on iPad) had a better variety of "weird poo poo".

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you aren't sure what you want then maybe a midrange multifx would be an idea? What sort of budget were you looking at?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I only have experience of the Amplitube version but this trem type thing is cool. I'll set it to a dumbass trance-gate style pattern and make tom morello noises. It probably costs a fair bit though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7KfKRhuCwFI

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
You mean you aren't gonna take advantage of that Tone Rain?

(that sucks, hope they survive)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
How specific are you about the high cut filter?
My Vox Time Machine has a couple of modes (high and low fi) and if you hold down one of the switches it gives it cuts a lot of the high off the repeats. Regardless of the settings I never find the repeats 'get in the way' and more often than not it's in front of my amp rather than in the loop (mostly cos I'm lazy with wires, it sounds great in the loop)

Also has up to six seconds delay time :frogsiren:

https://youtu.be/BuAoXyzad-4

£120 new about 8 years ago.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Has anyone here got/tried the Mooer Ocean Machine out? It looks decent in videos/demos and I am super gay for Devin, an objective viewport would be helpful. I got a new job and feel the need to splurge on something to celebrate. I currently have a Vox Time Machine and Marshall Reflector covering delay/verb duties.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does anyone have any experience with using a Digitech Jamman as a sort of foot operated sampler? As in preload the thing with a bunch of sounds (soundbeds, film samples, that sort of thing) and use it to fire them off as and when in a band or live setting? It'd probably be a Stereo model as that then doesn't necessitate an additional footswitch for changing banks.

I appreciate that whatever comes out will be coming out my guitar amp but that's pretty much just a pedal platform anyway.

All the samplers in a similar price range seem to be rather quirky/glitchy or take bloody ages to load longer sounds, otherwise I'd be looking at something like an mpx8 through the PA

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 13, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That's exactly the sort of thing I (not my paypal wallet) wanted to hear. I'm happy to dick with samples endlessly in a DAW but for live use I'd like to hit a switch and be done. Does the stereo do one-shots like the the XT apparently does?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

massive spider posted:

What are some pedals where it’s really fun to turn the knobs and see what happens? I’m using a modeller now, but I miss physical knobs.

Boss RE20 is currently top of my list.

The Fuzzrocious MOTH. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=il1hSVshTYw

other guitarist uses this at the end of sets for horrible sounds, plus the main WTF knob is pretty much designed to be operated by your foot.

I swapped my RE20 for a Vox Time Machine many moons ago but sometimes I miss it. The Time Machine gets really weird once you start playing it, but the spring verb and (urgh i hate saying this word) 'analogueness' of the RE20 is really cool.

Looper chat: they tend to suck tone. Apart from my Jamman Solo XT, which sucks tone AND generates what sounds like the Battlefield 3 loading screen music when its in the chain. I need to turn the fx loop back on on my amp and try it in there.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does anyone else have issues with looper pedals (Jamman Solo XT for me) making a lot of noise when plugged in, and also sucking tone?
I expect a degree of of tone suck but if i go guitar-looper-dirty amp, when I'm playing the part I want to record I get the usual Duncan Invader roar, but when I play back the loop, even with the output on the pedal dimed it comes out sounding more like polite fingerpicked Telecaster. Then sometimes the pedal will do that to my entire sound too, though I found using the 'right' in and out jacks as opposed to 'left/mono' seems to mitigate this.

This is with three different PSUs tried too, including the one that came with it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Why try not a wah of some sort? That'll give you quite a lot of colours to play with.

Get a whammy anyway because they're awesome.

I'd love one of the old whammy/wahs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My Bass Whammy tracks pretty well in polyphonic mode on a normal guitar.
I think the further up you stray from the root the more weird artifacts you're likely to get unless you are playing notes with consonant harmonics ie octave, fifth (7 semitones).
The bass whammy is light years ahead artifact-wise than my old Whammy 4 so this stuff has come on a bit, even though the BW is a few years old now.
My old band that played in Drop C had a riff that the other guitarist would play chords that slid up high around the 10th/12th frets at times on the 5th string and I would play down based on the 3rd/5th fret on the low string and would use the bass whammy to mimic that with the intention of adding a different texture but if you compare our recorded tracks it's pretty hard to tell who's who.
The main reason I have the bass one is its blue and looks cooler than the red ones to me and that's clearly the most important thing with pedals.