Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gaspy Conana posted:

Anyone know the most cost effective way to get a tone similar to the fuzzy lead halfway through this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRdmXX2UfQ&t=86s

Thanks.

A germanium fuzz will get you in the ballpark. EHX makes a version of the Big Muff with germanium transistors; you'll probably want to try one out but here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26nMH9j__fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

A Digitech Bad Monkey is also not a bad pedal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Buy local, buy used

Or just build your own poo poo :frogc00l:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Would there be any reason why I can't use my Digitech ValveFX in a bass signal path?

Mainly I'm wondering if, as a 'guitar box' it might have some hardwired highpass filtering or something like that. I recognize that the distortions and such will be tuned more towards guitar; this is to simplify the wiring.

There's nothing specifically that says you can't use guitar effects on a bass. With a bit of tweaking, you can still get sufficiently bass-y sounds. Most of it is pre-EQ'd to emphasize guitars, though, so you're losing a lot of bottom end, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gorilla Salsa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPUMzNgpmA

How do I get the noise at 2:15? I'm almost certain that Nick Reinhart uses a boss something or other (DD-5?), but I couldn't tell you exactly what pedal or what setting or even how he does it. I've looked everywhere. I saw a video of the guy from Mylets using some Digitech something or other, but I'd rather do it the Reinhart way.

edit: he also does it a lot in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzxiqwvh4k

Any digital delay can get you there. Turn up the feedback until it self-oscillates and then adjust the delay time and you'll have it.

Analog and tape delays can do it as well, of course, but it sounds less processed.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

I never joke. Ever.

Real posts though, some one buy me one of everything from here and send them to me tia
http://www.lalweb.com/effects.html

I have no idea what a donsharizer is but now I don't know if I can live without one

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

burritonegro posted:

What are yall's choice for phasers? Tried and failed to fall for the block Phase 90 and 100, Subdecay Quasar, and the Red Witch Moonphase.

EHX Small Stone is my go-to for a very "phaser-y" phaser and Moog puts out a nice phaser as well.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Panterica posted:

Any recommendations for a chorus, flanger, and tuner? I was considering getting a multi-effects, but those three in addition to a wah I already own are the only effects I need. I've got 4 ESP's with EMG's going into a Mesa Mark V.

Getting a Zoom MS-50G will run you about $100, or a little more than a high quality chorus or flanger and even has a built in tuner.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zoom G series is pretty solid. Their older poo poo is horrendous.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I need a dedicated sampler that can replicate what a Line 6 DL-4 does, but I need it in a sturdier package. I've got an Eventide Timefactor, but I don't know how to make that do DL-4 type things because I am dumb (and also because it's got a sticky switch that I don't want to stomp on).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

snorch posted:

I just recently got a rack, and am looking for a way to cheaply populate it. For me this means buying old used gear, but much of it classifies as "vintage" or some poo poo and goes for way too much money. Is there any lesser known gear I could go for that would offer similar performance to the legendary stuff like Lexicon etc.? How good/bad is the Behringer rack stuff?

Mainly, I am looking for multi effects to hook my synths up to, but general stuff like dynamics processors or anything that will help to fatten up sounds is fair game.

Yamaha's SPX series is pretty highly regarded but like all vintage digital effects it's going to sound super processed (and possibly dated depending on which effects you use). If you can find it, Echopet delays are analog and sound fantastic (80's Japanese stuff) and tend to go for under $100.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

I've never heard that he does this before, and I find it odd that he would since he uses a Bass VI on a good number of songs, so why would he cut out the low end?

He uses the strangle switch on the VI, which is a built in HPF. It's all about avoiding mud and letting the bass sit at the bottom of the mix without having the guitar interfere.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You could also just use a blank panel and attach the pedals to the face of your rack with velcro. Or just put them on top of your rack I guess

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rascuachex posted:

I am looking for some new guitar pickups. I know this is the effect and chain recommendation thread, but this seemed as good a place as any to ask for some advice. I am looking for some new pickups for my american made strat. Currently I have the tex mex pickups installed in my strat (it is all stock at the moment). To me these pickups sound a little too "brittle" and are not really cutting it for me. I am looking for something that is a little bit more beefy, but still retains the fender sound. I prefer not to go with humbuckers, I do really like soapbar style pickups, but I don't think I could drop soapbars in my guitar without doing some routing work. Really I think the best option would be to stick with single coil pickups. I love the sound of jazzmasters, as well as the neck pickup on telecasters. Also I am looking to replace 2 of the pickups in my guitar, which would be the neck and bridge pickups. I like to typically play shoegaze/surf/post punk/indie styles of music. I really like guitar tones similar to Built to Spill, The National, Pavement, Modest Mouse, Johnny Marr, My Bloody Valentine, Deerhunter to name a few. If anyone could help to recommend me a neck and a bridge pickup I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Edit: My stratocaster has HSS routing in the body, so I could drop a humbucker sized pickup in the bridge if recommended. I prefer to not use humbucking or noise cancelling pickups though.

It depends on how much you want to spend. If you want beefy but still single coil, I recommend any sort of single coils with larger pole pieces, like Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. GFS greybottom overwounds might also do the trick. If you really want a soapbar type sound you could spend :10bux: on some Rio Grande Dirty Harry pickups, or DiMarzio SDS-1/FS-1.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'd recommend the Joyo compressor over Boss but that's just personal preference. Boss pedals are built like tanks so if you like it, it'll last

forever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Phaser I move around a lot. Sometimes I'll put it post reverb, usually pre distortion, and sometimes I'll put it just before time based stuff (where it belongs). Depends on the kind of music, really.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Yarbald posted:

I just ordered a POG 2, and took my pedalboard home from my practice space for the weekend to squeeze the POG on somewhere. It's occurring to me that I might need a bigger board; I've tried doing some rearranging, and I'm not sure how this is going to work. Right now I have a LYT 32 which has been great, but I feel I may be outgrowing it. Does anyone have any suggestions for larger boards? All I've found so far is the Pedaltrain Pro, which would only give me a couple more inches.

Two DL4s, the mark of a guitarist that really loves making weird noises :allears:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

duckfarts posted:

FYI: iStomp pedals are currently :20bux::20bux: a pop.
Go to the musiciansfriend closeout page then pick iStomp(shows up as $150) and put it in your cart; a discount will be applied to it and the end total will be $40.

You should get an iStomp because all of the pedals are free* because they screwed the pooch so badly with updating for iOS.

*except for the coolest pedal, the Impossible Pedal, which you can't get anywhere else, but that's still only 60 bucks total for I think about 40 effects

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I feel like an idiot asking this, but can someone please tell me when I should stomp on my ditto to get a loop which actually matches up on-beat?

On the one.

Looping is about practice and most loops tend to slowly drift out of rhythm when playing with external sound sources.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

polar posted:

Are the cheep joyo pedals worth getting? Found a site selling them for 30$ for a few days. They seem almost 2 cheap since some of the build your own stuff is almost double that. Im looking at the vintage overdrive and maybe a tremolo or a fuzz.

Edit: maybe just the overdrive

Yeah, grab em. Are there any specifically you want to know about? I have a US Dream, Sweet Baby, and Vintage OD (and the compressor)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

polar posted:

After watching reviews I'm between 2 pedals, the vintage overdrive and the sweet baby. They both sound good to me. I have to pick out a first pedal. I wanna buy one for now and am on a tight budget. would you learn toword one over the other?

Vintage Overdrive is basically a tube screamer clone. Lots of compression, midrange heavy. The Sweet Baby is more subtle and transparent and you can get a pretty wide variety of tones. I'd use the Sweet Baby as my primary overdrive into the front end of a clean amp but I'd use the Vintage Overdrive to cascade into either the amp's distortion or another pedal. Both are good for crunch, it's just the character of the crunch you get.

Another thing is, at least from the dealer I ordered from, the foot switch for the Sweet Baby felt flimsier than the one for the Vintage Overdrive. I actually had to send the Sweet Baby back for another (which had a quieter but less sturdy feeling switch). The enclosures are both rock solid.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

anyone have any suggestions for a volume pedal that doesn't suck tone?

thinking about just putting one in a loop but kinda destroys the convenience, might as well use the knobs on my guitar

Get one with a buffered input. Or you can put a buffer right before your volume pedal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

any particular model you'd suggest? I have modded before but I've noticed volume pedals go bad pretty quickly so would like to keep the warranty on one.

Most Boss pedals have a built-in buffer. If you have a TU-2 you can try putting that first in your chain (Graphic EQ is another good choice). You can also buy dedicated buffer pedals for around $75, or you can go to your local Radio Shack and build one:

It's a simple circuit, so I wouldn't overpay for anything (and a lot of pedals have them built in, which is the cheapest way to go here).

Buffer usually goes first in the signal chain, but if that doesn't work you can have it go direct into your volume pedal, and if that doesn't work then you can put one at the beginning and the end of your chain, and if all those options don't work then you should probably look for a better pedal.

Unless you meant a buffered volume pedal, in which case the VM-Pro from Mission Engineering is a good (expensive, ~180) option, as is the Visual Sound Visual Volume (less expensive but still not exactly cheap, will run you about 140 on eBay). There's also Analog Man stuff which I haven't tried but which I am almost positive is way more expensive.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Basically the buffer increases the impedance of your guitar signal and helps it to overcome the tone suck. You can also use a treble booster.

It's usually supposed to go before everything in the chain ~to preserve your tonez~ but you can experiment with where you place it. For example, you shouldn't put it before a fuzz pedal (because the low impedance is what gives the fuzz its sound).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sorry I am very laymen here is gain+1 just an ear thing or a certain point/mark I should focus on?

that being said, is the eb jr any good or is there any recommended volume pedal I should look for at the same price mark range.

EB Jr is fine, you just run into some tone suck as you've noticed

HollisBrown posted:

Edit: So is it because the impedance of a guitar is basically unavoidably high due to the nature of pickups, but pedals still want the lowest impedance signal to insure that the maximum amount of voltage hits the circuit, and a true bypass pedal doesn't reduce impedance so many of them in a row means less and less voltage is hitting every pedal down the line. But a buffer early in your chain send a low impedance signal through all the pedals, thus minimizing signal loss?

That's the idea. Of course, you can just crank the treble on your amp for the same effect, but that limits the tonal palette of your amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Or just use multieffects units and cut down on your cable use.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Yeah, in theory this thing could of existed. Should it though? Hell loving no. Would of been a neat proof of concept though. Just another false promise and dumb idea to throw on the pile of her lovely business decisions (rip dubstep pedal). Best news to come out of this is that Dwarfcraft Devices has taken over the business. Sucks though that they have to deal with a line of effects that have practicly flooded the market though.

Also lol at the fact devi outright admitted to using half of the money on herself.

A dubstep pedal? Wouldn't that just be an automated filter and then maybe some internal trim pots for distortion?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/dub-step-the-dub-step-guitar-pedal

So basically for $150 more you would of ended up with something that probably would of ended up being a worse Copilot Dubscope.

It is weird how bad all of these ideas are and yet the Eye of God is such a neat pedal

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You can also get Big Muff clones for not too much.

You also might want to look into Danelectro and Joyo stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The joyo dudes are hit or miss. 50/50 shot it will come in with the harnessing hosed. if you know anything about electronic stuff, when you get it, remount it and clean it up. the joyo pedals are notoriously fragile. my chorus ate poo poo within 2 weeks.

Depends on the pedal. My compressor and Vintage OD (TS clone) are built like brick shithouses, but my US Dream and Sweet Baby don't feel nearly as solid, mostly w/r/t the foot switch.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Agreed posted:

The Sweet Baby was kind of a total piece of poo poo in my opinion, like, would not use it live level of distrust of the construction etc., but maybe I just got an especially bad one.

That might just be the way they're built. I had to send my first one back because it broke in the box. Should've gotten the Ultimate OD with the refund :sigh:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I have a Tube Screamer clone, a Suhr Riot clone, and a Sweet Honey Overdrive clone. Which of these would be best for pushing a dirty channel into saturation for leads? I'm playing a Strat if it matters.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

On what amp?

JCA50, 50 watt 6L6 on the bright side of things

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

I'd lean towards the Suhr myself, SHO second but I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the TS stuff.

Have you thought about a straight up clean boost?

I have but I don't have the parts to build one or the money to buy one right now. Otherwise I'd roll with something fancy like the EP Boost or maybe that new Klone.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

CisSTAR 19 posted:

Do you guys have any thoughts between the Akai Head Rush and a Line6 DL4? The delay would be a major bonus, but my main concern is how easy it will be to make rhythmically competent loops while playing live.

There are guys who swear by the Head Rush but the DL4 seems to be the standard for guys who don't have a dedicated looping unit (especially because of the speed and reverse options). Neither of them has quantization and I don't think either has a MIDI clock (I could be wrong about that) so how good the loops are rhythmically is mostly dependent on your ability to stomp and count time and loop in general. Both of them are just sound-on-sound so your overall loop quality is dependent upon not loving up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

You build pedals?
If you want to trade work for an EP or something, we might should talk.
iostream.header at the gee males if you're interested.

Ha, I don't have my soldering iron or I would've taken you up on this. I ended up using the Riot clone and that worked really well (gain at about two, tone at 0, output dimed) and my other guitarist had an actual Riot so we had a good laugh about that. Then I broke the footswitch and he let me use his MXR Distortion+ which worked even better so I'll probably just end up rolling with that or a DOD 250 when I get around to planting that money tree.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Does anyone know if an inexpensive looping pedal exists? Why is the cheapest one $150?

Someone should create a kickstarter campaign, and make a simple, barebones looping pedal that will cost $50-75. It would make a bloody killing.

Surely the circuitry cant be that costly? Put it in an unpainted plastic danelectro pedal case for all I care.

The new JamMan Express is $100 and you can find used Boss RC-2s for around $70. If you've already got a laptop that you don't mind gigging with, the cheapest option is Mobius and a USB footswitch (Mobius is free and the footswitch might run you 16 bucks if you're just using a one-button rig). You've also got the iOS options (Loopy and Everyday Looper are both excellent products).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

rt4 posted:

I'd like to get myself a distortion suited to heavy metal playing similar to the record below through a fairly clean Vox amp. I understand I'm not going to get that exact sound, of course, but it seems like a MXR M75 or Rat2 is probably what I need. Any thoughts on others I should check out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xwvwx5BZY

EHX Metal Muff might be worth looking into, as would the MXR Distortion III.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The best fuzz is one you built by yourself (cave, box, scraps, etc.)

E: I also like the Blue Box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I mean assuming you're good with a soldering iron (or even just okay, really), any box you build yourself is going to be sturdier/higher build quality than a similarly priced mass production pedal and then you get to paint it some really cool colors.

Bootstraps y'all, fuzzy bootstraps