Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Spartak posted:

Random newbie question bonanza!

Now, I don't own any pedals so I'm thinking of getting an arsenal for rock/instrumental rock.

This is the list that I have made up, and I'm open to suggestions. Bear in mind that outside of the boss/ibanez/ehx stuff it's harder to track them down.

Boss:
DD-6 - Any other delay pedals? I heard good things about the DD-6.
PS-5 - Seems cool
TR-2 - standard kit?
CH-1/CE-5 - What's the difference?

Ibanez:
TS9/TS9DX - The DX has the original Tube Screamer chip so is that the one to go for?

Dunlop:
Wah - but which one?! Or more accurately which one can you recommend?

EHX:
Big Muff Pi/Russian Muff/Little Big Muff? Or say to hell with it all and get the English Muff'n? What the hell is the difference between the Russian and USA Big Muff?

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea about pedals.

DON'T get the DD-6, because the DD-7 just came out and will be widely available soon and will kick all kinds of rear end.

As far as Boss questions go just read bossarea.com for a while, it's a great resource.

The English Muff'n is a totally different pedal from any Big Muff. If you want the latter, get the Little Big Muff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

stiknork posted:

I've heard a lot about expression pedals, but never really seen one. What do they do?

Depends on the pedal it's used with. It can fade between dry/wet signal, control modulation speed... basically anything that a knob can do can be made controllable by an expression pedal.

edit: don't know how much you understand.... an expression pedal by itself doesn't do anything, it's like a MIDI controller keyboard in that respect. You have to use it with an exp-pedal-controllable effect.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

DodGrile posted:

I love watching the EHX videos because they just solidify my impression of the kind of people who'd come out with some of those pedals:

"Hey guys, I've got this idea for a new pedal. You'll like.. push it, and then it'll be all like weeee and wooo and cool n' stuff"

You'll love the ZVex videos, then!

http://www.zvex.com/effects.html

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

qball posted:

Speaking of tremolos, does anyone know of a classic sounding, really simple tremolo with a speed switch. I was looking at the Monster Effects Swamp Thang trem but I'm sure there's other stuff out there.

danelectro tuna melt

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

qball posted:

No speed switch.

oops, I was thinking of a waveform switch. There's a speed knob, though, with pretty much as wide a range as anyone will need.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Minto Took posted:

Compressor stuff here:

Where is usually the preferred place to put a compressor in a signal chain? The toys that I have to work with are a Danelectro Wasabi OD plus some BYOC pedals and those are the Shredmaster, Distortion+, and the 5-knob compressor.

If you like your ODs touch-sensitive, as in the harder you play, the more distorted the sound gets, put them first. Comps can be good for long, sustainy leads in front of a distortion pedal too, so a good setup might be light dirt -> comp -> heavy dirt.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

cylyk posted:

What order do you guys suggest I put my boss bluesdriver, vibe, fuzzface clone, and java boost (full/mid/treble boost) in?

if you like the hendrix thing, do vibe before fuzz. I'd suggest boost -> vibe -> fuzz -> bd-2

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

yeah I don't think you'll find an analog pedal like that. Another digital option is the Eventide Modfactor.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

3toes posted:

Eh, I've thought about maybe dropping a little more cash and getting a pod but honestly it'd never leave my room since I gig with pretty ballin' gear :hehe:

dude is that wrench vintage

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

I didn't care for the Bad Monkey, preferred the SD-1 for around the same price.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

bisticles posted:

The Boss OD-1 is a great $50 overdrive pedal.

The OD-1 hasn't been on sale for over twenty years.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Raze posted:

I know a lot of people around here have/are getting an EHX Micro POG, and I'm thinking of jumping on the bandwagon. I'm a little concerned, though, cause I have an EHX #1 Echo (same form factor/line of pedals) and it has a noticeable volume drop that really irritates me. Does the Micro do anything akin to this at all? Also, can I have just the output from the effect out and still use the "Dry" knob effectively? And any idea if it's true bypass or not on the effect out?

No volume drop unless you want it, because the pedal only consists of three volume knobs, really. I'm pretty sure it is true bypass.

Please reword your question about the dry/effect outs because I have no idea what you mean.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Raze posted:

Excellent, thanks! I mean the "Effect Out" is still a blend of the effect and the original guitar sound that can be tweaked with the knob. Also, have you put it in front of heavy distortion much?

yeah, the dry out is dry signal only, the effect out is whatever you set the knobs to, which can include dry signal up and both octaves off.

It works great in front of a Big Muff. Really gets those White Stripes sounds, if that's what you're looking for.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

For anyone who wants a Muff-style fuzz with more control, I heartily recommend the Barber Trifecta.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Nelsocracy posted:

What do you guys use your delay pedals for typically? People constantly mention to me that I need to get one, but I borrowed one from a friend before and couldn't find any use for it really. I guess it's good for some really out there or echo kind of stuff but I play straight up jazz. A friend of mine was saying they can be good to use as a kind of reverb?

most common uses:

-surfy slapback delay, sounds reverb-ish
-add body to leads with longer delay time
-play with it rhythmically a la U2

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

get a CE-2 instead. A pure classic.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Also TC Electronic Nova Delay and Nova Repeater

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Fuzz Factory is like as far from a Big Muff as you can get and still be fuzz.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

The POG is a pretty awesome thing to have around. But if you're gonna go dedicated octave fuzz and feel a little nuts spending so much, a lot of people love the cheap-as-hell Danelectro French Toast.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

if you guys have $300 to drop on a reverb check this out, dear god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWBQgiqjtY

CalvinDooglas posted:

Reverb shouldn't be an obvious part of your sound

That is a crazy thing to say.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

I mean, for your general-purpose rock band mix I totally agree that reverb has little place, but with a sparse mix and clean tones reverb can be very nice. Otherwise a short delay set to about two repeats is a great alternative but I'm just saying let's not "should" this poor fella to death.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

pimpology 101 posted:

Can someone recommend me a good fuzz pedal?
I use a guitar with humbuckers, and I hear that matters a lot, but I think I might switch to single coils soon.
I like the sounds that guitarists get with the Big Muff Pi but anytime I played around with one, it just seemed too muddy. I love the sound that Jack White gets with his, but I never even came close to getting that kind of biting, harsh sound.
I plan on getting a Rat also, for general overdrive/distortion purposes, but I wanna use a fuzz for over the top distortion, as well as combining it with a Rat for Sonic Youth-type noise freakout sounds.

I really like my Barber Trifecta for a more-flexible Big Muff that can get into tone bender territory. It has better tone controls and the gain range is a lot more usable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zGpurjFAo&feature=related

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Atomic_Amish posted:

I don't know if this has already been answered yet, so sorry if it has. I'm not entirely sure where in my chain to put my phaser and flange. I have an MXR phase 100 and EHX flanger hoax, but I'm not sure if those should be going before or after my distortion or what the pros and cons of doing it either way would be. Anyone got any advice?

I could name all the other pedals specifically if that would help. I have a big chain and this is the only part that confuses me.

Generally modulation goes after dirt, but the two big exceptions are univibe and phaser effects, especially Phase 90. I see a lot of people putting those first in their chain. So give it a try.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Achtane posted:

Can someone point me in the direction of a bass pedal that can replicate this sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uA-jLrWaAs

I know it isn't super unique, but it really appeals to me. It's muff-like, but I'm not sure what exactly has that sound but also retains the low end. The only fuzz-fuzz pedals I've owned are a Bass Big Muff and Devi Ever Shoegazer, and neither sounded quite like this...I wasn't really into the BBM and the SG isn't big on lows.

Maybe give this a try, I have my sights set on it myself http://wrenandcuff.com/site/the-stompboxes/the-pickle-pie-b/

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Boss DD-7, great analog mode among many others, nice long loop mode. If you're going to try performing with the looper a two-button box like the SMMH is probably better but for just practicing/writing the DD-7 is more than enough.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

CalvinDooglas posted:

Just got a Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal. Sounds pretty cool but there's a little bit more compression/volume drop than I'd like. Any recommended mods?

And what's the ideal position in my chain? I've got guitar > fatboost > phase90 > TR-2 > overdrives > delay.

TR-2 last or before your delay. I never use the two effects in conjunction so it's not an issue for me. With the tremolo before your overdrives, of course, the volume modulation will cause modulation in the level of breakup which might be odd; it's not usually done.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

CalvinDooglas posted:

What I need to do next is put the whole thing in an MXR style metal case with a real footswitch. The Boss case just seems so flimsy and the switch itself is a little piece of plastic under the "hood". The pedal sounds good, but doesn't look like it was made for heavy use. I very much prefer the click of a real switch.

Dude you're nuts. Boss pedals are widely known to be practically indestructible.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

Are the EHX Memory Boy or Memory Toy delay pedals worth it? I'm looking at getting a delay pedal and I love EHX pedals, but I know that the Memory Man series is way too much stuff for me that I wouldn't even know what to do with. Also I don't have that much money.

From what I hear, no. If I were you I'd look into either the MXR Carbon Copy (for a simple nice-sounding analog delay) or Boss DD-7 (for lots of features and still very nice sound) depending on your needs.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Noise Machine posted:

Cross post from new gear thread:

Shipped this morning.

Ugh want it so bad

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

uh, Tubescreamers and Big Muffs are wildly different, fellas

That does not appear to be a Big Muff though. Two footswitches and four knobs.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Rotten Cookies posted:

I think that's another pedal behind the Muff that just happens to line up with it?

Don't think so. Here, this seems to be another angle of the same pedal http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ov0lFQkGnpY/TcdfNDTCMPI/AAAAAAAAAH8/St2t41Sy6sc/s1600/IMG_2156.JPG

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

After The War posted:

And depending on the pedal design, it doesn't have to be a lot to make a difference. All the 80s Boss stuff says "9.6v" for a reason - if you run one from a standard OneSpot, they usually sound muffled and weak. Fortunately, you can get power supplies that run at 9.6v or have a DIP switch to increase the voltage.

In the case of old Boss pedals this is not necessary. Just daisychain it with modern pedals and they work as intended.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

not mine, but this pedalboard made me crack up so I'm sharing it with youse guys

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Schindler's Fist posted:

The more you know! I like how they took a flaw - tape decks didn't sync perfectly - and turned it into a creative technique.

Same story, of course, with overdrive.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Stravinsky posted:

Have you ever thought about drivers? Like a bluesdriver, tubedriver, nightdriver?

...you're kidding me, right?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Stravinsky posted:

Speaking of Zoom effect pedals, they are probably the best multi-effect pedals I have ever had the pleasure of loving around with.

O_O

Just how many multi-effect pedals do you have experience with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

HollisBrown posted:

I actually have a zoom 508 digital delay that sounds pretty drat good and is insanely flexible.

I'm not necessarily saying that Zoom pedals are crap per se, but to apply the word "best" to them in any situation is kinda unbelievable to me.