Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So if I want to step into the world of fuzz pedals, should I dip a toe in with a Big Muff Pi (maybe the one with tone wicker), or just jump in with a Zvex Fuzz Factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Between that EHX pitchfork and the new Way Huge transparent drive (the Saucy Box, apparently NOT a klone), my pedal list is kind of exploding recently.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Make sure it's got the right polarity. Most pedals are tip-negative, including all the EHX stuff I know of, but there's boatloads of other things out there that use tip-positive.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I was going to say "I have one" and then from your further points I figured out you were talking about the X4. :downs:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

For what you want the ditto sounds perfect.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

A current Dwarfcraft-made one? They're all 9V tip-negative (do not use 18V). No idea on the ones Devi actually made, but I'd expect the same.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Joke's on you, I just got a BBE Supa Charger, and it was like 60% of the price of a PP2+.

:ohdear: Hope I didn't gently caress that choice up too bad but it works great so far!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PSA: GC is having a pretty ridiculous flash sale on the TC T2, Alter Ego 2, and Alter Ego X4. $99 each for the first two, $179 for the X4.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PSA:

I know most of the people here who wanted one probably already got it (including me) after Agreed and iostream's raves, but MF's stupid deal of the day is the Moog MF Drive for $99.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

This is bonkers.

TC is doing a lot of really loving cool stuff lately, and the fact that the toneprint editor can expose all these completely unintentional capabilities in their pedals is just rad as hell. I'm totally getting suckered into their stuff lately, and the fact that they're releasing toneprint-enabled phaser and univibe pedals at NAMM is just icing on the cake.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:hfive:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffuck yes.

I was really kinda wowed with the harmonics on that B junction all throughout the demo. Dear NINT: please get this technology commercially viable so I can actually buy something using molecular junction clipping, because drat.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yaaaay, I finally got around to building babby's first pedalboard! :neckbeard:

I've probably got room for another 2-3 pedals on there max, and that's if I get a few right-angle TRS and instrument cables, but seeing as I made it out of scrap plywood I had in the basement, who cares?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The T2 is awesome for crazy spacey/cavey ambient reverb. It's a little harder to dial in something close to a standard hall/plate/whatever sound with the existing presets, but since it takes HoF toneprints, you can just download a standard one if you want. It really does sound fantastically good, tho.

Also agreeing with Declan on the Reverb cables. They're good.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 14, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oh, you mean a looper and not a looper.

We really need to come up with a term for one of these that isn't overloaded.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey guys, I think I want a looper. Nothing super fancy, but something that'll just be fun as a practice aid to lay down some stuff to riff over. The default rec seems to be a TC Ditto, but is there any reason I should look at, say, the EHX 360 Nano or Boss RC-1? They all seem to have pretty much exactly the same feature set, bar the ability of the 360 to split its 6min of recording time into different memory banks or the 12 min of recording time on the RC-1. Not really interested in the Digitech Jammans as apparently they compress their audio? The Ditto does have the advantage that I could probably still wedge it on my pedalboard, which is unlikely for the other two unless I pull something off (probably my amp footswitch). Any thoughts, or should I just go get a Ditto?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

FWIW, there's no plans to use this in any sort of live setting, or even for recording, it's just basically going to be a toy to get me to play through my amp and pedals a bit more than I do now.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Picked up the Ditto, it's rad as hell, and exactly what I wanted. Now I can lay down a chord progression and then actually figure out what sort of scale shapes sound good over it. :dance:

Think I need to move it before the T2, tho. If that thing's on for the looped track, the transition is kinda jarring.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Gorgar posted:

More knobs, switches and jacks = better.

If she goes with this logic, then enjoy your new Palisades.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I've found it.

The best pedal ever.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Moog Minifoogers are all 9v tip-negative, just like 90% of stompboxes out there.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

After The War posted:

The big Minifoogers with the wood panels on the side were 9v+, and the new Microfoogers are 9v-. One of the reasons I bought a Micro Ring Mod to use live despite already having the big MF-102. That way, no one could be spared my ring mod abuse.

Point of order, the big, wood-paneled things are Moogerfoogers, and the new standard pedal-sized ones are the Minifoogers.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Speaking of Minifoogers, I finally got around to listening to a demo of the new MF Chorus, and goddrat that is the best sounding chorus demo I've ever heard. Granted, it's Andy, but daaaaaamn that thing sounds great.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

After The War posted:

Goddamn it, you're right. Shows how long it's been since we were stocking the big bastards.

I can't imagine it's easy to move $700 effects pedals.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The outputs on the PP2+ (and every power supply in that price range) are individually isolated with separate transformers for each output. All of the cheap $40-ish ones (even if they say "isolated") have a single output transformer and all the outputs share a single ground.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 5, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

peter gabriel posted:

The one I linked has status LEDs at least, the LEDS turn red if there is an issue with one of the outputs.
But, like all power supplies the dearer ones are best, I just needed one in a hurry and so far it has surprised me in a good way.

Edit: I've just checked the specs and it has 10 isolated outputs, maybe the manufacturer is bullshitting and the reviews are wrong, it's possible, but there you go.

They're bullshitting and the reviews are wrong.

It has a single 18V DC input, and the only transformer is in the wall wart. Power supplies with isolated outputs necessarily have to have AC supplied to the unit.

Also, it's the exact same unit that Joyo sells with their branding, and that doesn't have isolated outputs either.

I should note: isolated outputs aren't really a big deal unless you get some bad ground loops. A lot of people get by just fine with a daisy-chained 1spot.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey, since we were talking about power supplies and output isolation a little while ago, I thought I'd mention that at Summer NAMM Joyo just announced that they're putting out an actual isolated output power supply. No pricing information and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere, but if they manage to get this to street for under $100 it'll be a verrrrrrrry interesting option.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

comes along bort posted:

Power supply is one area where you shouldn't cheap out. Just bite the bullet and get a PP2. You're going to eventually anyway after whatever piece of poo poo you have now fails.

Eh, pretty much all the fully isolated ones (Voodoo Labs, T-Rex Fuel Tank, new 1-Spot Pro, Decibel Eleven Hot Stone, BBE Supa Charger, MXR Iso Brick, Walrus Audio Ateos, Digitech Hardwire V10) are constructed pretty much the same, and cost all about the same, and function pretty much the same, give or take a couple options for voltage or current on an output or two. It's not exactly a complicated piece of electronics to put together, just kinda pricey. Even the new Joyo JP-04, with fully isolated outputs, runs $120+.

Edit: ^^^ it's really not, if you've bothered to put together a pedalboard. It makes keeping the cables organized soooooooo much easier.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yeah, I didn't worry about getting an isolated power supply until I had like 6 pedals to deal with and was out of power strip room. Three common modern pedals is pretty much an ideal use case for a One Spot (which was going to be my initial suggestion, but havelock got that in the first reply).

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Declan MacManus posted:

What are some cool chorus pedals? I have a Danelectro FAB Chorus and a Zoom CDR but I'm looking to expand my horizons. Anything off the beaten CE/Small Clone paths

Moog MF Chorus

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

It's worth noting that while the 360 has 6 min of recording time, that's shared between all 11 memory slots. For a bit more than the 360, the Boss RC-3 offers 99 slots and 3 hours of recording time. The Digitech Jamman Solo XT would also be a decent upgrade over a Ditto. The 360 seems like more of a... sidegrade, I guess.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

does the Swollen Pickle get good milder fuzz sounds or is it strictly an over-the-top Muff style fuzz?

It's an even more way-over-the-top Muff than most Muffs. There is literally nothing mild or subtle about the Pickle.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

massive spider posted:

The flashback x4 isnt that much more than the base flashback so you may as well.

It's not much more but it is friggin huge so bear that in mind if footprint is at all a concern.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Congrats you now have a one-of-a-kind tone-overvolted TS that will be worth $400 on Reverb in a couple years if you write some BS post on TGP about how it's now way more transparent and how the mids are haunting or some poo poo like that

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Try squirting some deoxit into the pot.

e: although if it's getting much higher in gain fast and then gating/dying out, it's likely that some component has burned out and whatever's going through the pot is overloading another component because of it.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 25, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Man, EHX is just killing it lately.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You can daisy chain pedals off the outputs of a good multi isolated output power supply as long as the voltage is the same for the pedals on each output and the combined amperage needed by the pedals on each output is below what the output can supply. You'd want to try to pair up pedals that don't cause a hum or buzz when paired, but that'd have to be determined experimentally.

Alternatively, there's this thing

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm pretty sure any transparent drive pedal that comes out is automatically assumed to be a Klone/Timmy Clone even if there's absolutely no reason to think so (like the controls are totally different or something).

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There's boatloads of great ones depending on what you want out of it, no single go-to.

TC Flashback variants
MXR Carbon Copy
Line6 DL4
Catalinbread Belle Epoch or Echorec
Way Huge Supa Puss
EHX Memory Man variants
Etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nothing else on this?

Dunlop CryBaby Mini and Volume X Mini, maybe?

Possibly the Hotone Soul Press?

MOOER Leveline?