Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Tehdude posted:

If I want an overdrive pedal to add a little bit of dirt to my bass tone...what would be a good choice?

I highly recommend the DOD 250 Overdrive for bass. There's a cheap reissue out now for only $40.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DOD-Overdrive-Preamp250-Reissue-Pedal?sku=150070&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

rt4 posted:

So what's the point of the send/receive thing on my amp?

It seems I can hook up my effects there or just guitar->effects->amp

What's the difference?

The effects loop sits in between the preamp and power amp sections of your amplifier.

You can think of your preamp like another effect in the chain. If you want to change the sound before the preamp, put it between the guitar and amp. If you want to change the sound coming out of the preamp, put it in the loop.

Also, your effects loop might be series or parallel. Series acts like you would expect it to, one after the other. Parallel lets you blend the effects in the loop together with the dry signal.

edit: Also, rack effects (as opposed to stompboxes) are usually designed with line level signals in mind instead of instrument level signals, which is why you'd want to put them in the loop.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The EHX 22 Caliber is a pedal-based power amp. They also have a product called the LPB2ube that basically adds some extra gain stages to your preamp. Damage Control also makes two pedal-style preamps: the Demonizer and the Womanizer.

You can also buy rack-mounted preamps from almost anyone, from Behringer to Marshall and Mesa.

edit: But if you're really loaded just buy tons of amps and mix and match their pre/power amps. I think Matt Pike from High on Fire used to put a Soldano SLO into a Matamp, and I believe the guitarist from Rosetta uses a hot-rodded Marshall JCM2000 into a Sunn Model T. There's probably a gazillion examples of this.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 2, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Technically a double post, but spaced a day apart: Couldn't you run a separate preamp through an amp's effects loop in? Or is that what you're describing, daisy-chaining say, an AC-30's effects loop out into a (picks a random amp) Marshall JCM800 effects loop in?

Yeah, you can do exactly this.

You can also mix and match pre and power amps in software amp emulators like AmpliTube and Guitar Rig, which is cheaper than actually buying an AC-30 and a JCM800.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Scarf posted:

MXR Auto Q isn't really an envelope filter... more of an auto-wah.

I thought an envelope filter WAS an auto-wah :psyduck:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Agreed posted:

Sell you my favorite one, a Marshall Reflector, for $60. It's a fantastic pedal, but I'm going all in-the-box.

You'd be a fool not to take this offer.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

washburn085 posted:

Hey, one of my eBay bids actually didn't get outbid an I got a rat and power adaptor for $43 shipped. Thanks for the offer though!

I'll take that Rat since washburn085 doesn't want it. Looks like you don't have PMs, iostream.h, so send me an email at plester1 at jhu dot edu.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

New God posted:

I have a situation with my board.

I play in a two piece band and run my guitar through two amps. I currently do not have an a/b/y box, so I use my old deluxe memory man to split the signal by having the dry output go to one amp and the effected output go to the other.This allows me to fuzz out one amp and keep the other clean or use other effects. For some reason, when I put on a fuzzbox (little big muff on one amp and a devi ever rocket on the other) it causes a drop in volume and change in tone on the other channel. My fender blender does not have this effect, just the big muff and the rocket. I dont know poo poo about electronics, so I have no idea whats going on. I am also using a 1-spot to power all these pedals, which I know sucks but I dont have the cash at the moment to shell out for a voodoo labs pedal power.

So what can I do to solve this problem? Will a better power source or a splitter box fix it?

edit: Nobody has a clue? I know a lot of metal guys run two rigs and use tons of distortion, there must be a way to get over this problem.

This might be a problem with using true bypass pedals. Long story short, true bypass pedals split into a Y configuration will actually start driving each other and not just the amp downstream.

Do you have any buffered pedals that you could stick between your signal split and your muff/rocket? All Boss pedals are buffered. Something like a TU-2 tuner would work.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I've never used an Ekko either, but my SMMH is seriously my favorite pedal to play around with.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Boss power supplies are center-negative. Just make sure you have the right current output and plug geometry. I had a cheap third-party one whose plug was a teeny bit too small, so it would disconnect if bumped.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ozymandius posted:

Is there any suggestions on Compressor placement to help reduce/remove the white noise that comes on with it? Its very subtle, but with any dirt, it becomes a bit more obvious with the pick attack.

Trying to use it for some added sustain.

Typically you have to use a noise gate and strike a balancing act between the compressor noise opening the gate and the gate killing your sustain.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

In my experience, you can actually get great bass overdrive sounds from the DOD 250 overdrive.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

It's really just the one one component that worries me. I'm wary of using plastic for parts that receive a lot of force

I was under the impression that the case took the load on any Boss pedal. I think the moving part of the pedal hits the case before it can overcompress that plastic part. I'll have to check when I get home.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Boz0r posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown on how to use the effects loop on an amp, and what types of pedals you'd usually use before and in the loop?

Basically, the loop lets you put effects in between the preamp and power amp. If you want to affect the overdriven sound coming out of your preamp, then put it in your loop. It matters a lot less if you're running your amp clean.

If you have multiple amps, you can also mix and match their preamps and power amps by plugging the effects send of one into the effects receive of another.

Like Hubis said, typically reverbs, delays and EQs are put into the loop. Just experiment though, I actually prefer delays in front of the amp so that the repeats clean up as they decay.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 23, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Uncle Phil posted:

Well, I have added a Holy Grail reverb to my arsenal. Next up is either the Memory Man or Line 6 loop station, maybe a cheap chorus. I really need a good DISTORTION though, something mean. Already using an overdrive, I have the ProCo RAT, but it cuts out all low end. Otherwise it's perfect. So, the RAT is out and I need something mean to help me texture.

ESPECIALLY since my current band is only running two bases and no guitar, me and the other bassist have to really mind our tones and effects to make sure we are getting a full sound.

I've had good luck using a DS-1 for bass distortion. There's actually a popular mod for making it even more appropriate for using with bass called the Penny Pedals mod.

This is assuming you know you don't want an overdrive or fuzz. I absolutely love the Boss ODB-3, DOD OD-250, and EHX Big Muff Pi if you want to stray further into that territory.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Yarbald posted:

I'm expecting my tax return any day now, and my old Ibanez Tubescreamer hasn't really been cutting it lately. Anyone got suggestions for a good OD/distortion? I play a PRS through a Mesa Express 5:50, I'm looking for something similar to Dave Knudson's heavier parts on Minus the Bear's OMNI.

The Fulltone OCD is pretty highly regarded and would probably fit well with that style.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

moke posted:

Hello,

I would like to be able to swell and mix some pedals with the dry signal of my guitar but I can only find the Pigtronix Keymaster, and that looks expensive and still needs an expression pedal.

Would a cheaper way of achieving the blending of the two signals be to get a Boss LS-2 and some sort of volume pedal, and then use the A+B mix setting on the LS-2 with the volume pedal at the end of the FX chain to change the mix? I guess I would put the dry guitar into the input, patch A to itself, and then the FX in B?

Thanks, hope this makes sense.

It's totally possible, I do exactly that to fade in some extra wash sounds with a volume pedal after a reverb and delay.

This is where I learned it from: http://www.anchorstates.net/2010/02/tech-pedals-2nd-update.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Beleg posted:

I play a nylon string guitar with a piezo. Recently I tried running it on a Marshall stack with just a bit of overdrive, and I love the sound. I don't have a Marshall amp, so do guys have any recommendations for an overdrive pedal that I can use for a nylon string? It's mainly for a boost-type tone with a bit of dirt to it on harder strums. I heard the old Boss Overdrive pedals are great for that but I've yet to get my hands on one.

Tubescreamers and their relatives are very similar to old Boss Overdrive pedals. The Boss Blues Driver is also in the same vein and is highly regarded.