Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Just wanted to put this out there and this is probably the right thread:

I just did a show where the guitar player had a Palmer Guitar DI that he sent me signal from instead of mic'ing his cab and it was absolutely incredible. Its a DI designed to put between a guitar amp and the speaker (which is what he was doing with a 50W amp, running the tone control on the DI at normal) or it can be used at line level coming straight out of your FX chain, and everyone involved tonight got loads of compliments on the guitar sound. I'm pretty sure one of the other bands on the bill are planning on buying them ASAP after hearing the set.

And all I did was leave the preamp on the console at 0 gain, was getting a perfect -6 to -12dB signal and I pretty much left the EQ flat (cut a little low-mid because they were muddy in the room) and brought up the fader. He has an all analog pedalboard and I think it was an Orange combo amp (but it was red... I know he used to play an Orange). It's not impossible to gently caress up for a total idiot soundguy, but if you play out a lot I highly recommend it for ease, and this guitar player records with it as well in his basement. It eliminates all bleed problems from a muddy, boxy stage as well.

In a bigger show (like 1000 ppl) I personally would have wanted a mic in addition to the DI probably, just for some options, but this was a 200cap room. This guy records and produces most of their stuff in his basement now and I'm pretty sure he mostly uses the Palmer. Myspace-encoded tracks here. The first one I know he used only the Palmer on, but they did that (with the singer playing drums) at rehearsal the other day or something. The next 2 were on their last album and I'm pretty sure it's mostly the Palmer. The others are older and were done in a studio before he had it I think.

Palmer makes a bunch of really expensive rackmounted "analog" speaker modelers. I have no idea how they compare to digital stuff, but after tonight I feel pretty comfortable recommending that DI in place of a microphone for live shows and probably a lot of budget recording setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU