Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What would you guys suggest for sort of a post-rock sounding reverb? I have a Hardwire RV-7 right now and I don't really care for it all that much. I'm looking for something warmer sounding and spacier.

I've heard good things about the Electro-Harmonix Cathedral, but do y'all have any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FancyMike posted:

I used to have a Cathedral. It sounded good and had a ton of options. Lots of options means it can take a while to dial in though. Saving presets is cool, and the infinite thing is really sweet and I was excited but then never really got much use out of it.

Now I use a Dr. Scientist reverb and it's great, but way simpler. But simplicity was kind of a reason I went for that one and I'm real happy with it and all the reverbs sound really good.

There's always the Boss RV-5 too and it's definitely a solid pedal.

Infinite as in the E-Bow effect? :fap:

I've got an E-Bow which I tried out with an electric guitar at first but I never was able to figure out how to use it properly. I've moved pretty much solely to my acoustic-electric now (Fender Stratacoustic), and since it doesn't have pickups, the E-Bow barely works on it. It'll produce some sound, but not enough to really do anything substantial with. Unless I'm using it wrong.

Having that effect built into a stompbox would be phenomenal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FancyMike posted:

Not the E-Bow thing, no. It's a momentary switch and when you hold it down it basically causes the reverb tails to go on forever. You can still play over top of it. You can sustain washed out chords or notes and then whatever you play while the switch is held down is unaffected. I feel like there should be a good demo of the feature somewhere, but I'm not finding one in my half assed youtube search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AIFtPtuYow

Fuuuuuuuck, I love this. Just the type of sound I'm looking for. I think I'm gonna have to buy me a Cathedral :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FancyMike posted:

It's really good. I didn't sell mine because it was bad, I was just using too few of the features to justify the amount of space it was taking up on an already tight pedalboard. Also yeah, that infinite reverb thing is very post-rocky

I've only got 3 pedals at the moment (RV-7 for reverb, DD-7 for delay and You Dirty Rat for distortion), and they're sitting on my computer desk in my room. I kinda have a bedroom studio setup going on. I've also got my studio monitors and my audio interface and other stuff on my desk besides my computer monitor / keyboard / mouse, so it's not like I have a ton of space, but taking out the RV-7 and putting this thing in wouldn't be too much of a hassle, I don't think.

I'm really looking forward to getting this now. I'm in the process of trying to complete an album now, but I've felt like something's been missing from my overall sound lately. Hopefully this completes it :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oops, I forgot to post a trip report about my EH Cathedral: It's the best pedal I've ever owned so far. I can finally make the post-rock-like textures I've been wanting to make for such a long time. Totally worth the purchase.

And the Cathedral plugged into my RV-7 is even better :swoon: For some reason, I find the RV-7 to be pretty lackluster on its own, but when paired with this thing, I get absolutely beautiful textures.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: I'm trying to sell/trade my You Dirty Rat distortion on Craigslist so I can get something fuzzier. I had a Rat2 before this but one of my former bandmates broke it accidentally, so I replaced it but with YDR instead, and I'm not as happy with the sound of it.

Someone contacted me today offering to trade me his Voodoo Labs Proctavia for my Rat. I looked up some videos of it on YouTube and it sounds cool, I guess, but it didn't seem to sound as fuzzy as I was looking for. Should I pass on this or would it sound cool in my chain? Currently, my other pedals are an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 boost, Electro-Harmonix Cathedral reverb and a Boss DD7 delay. The Rat didn't seem to jive as well with my other pedals, but I'm sure a different one would. Would the Proctavia work out?

I've got until Tuesday to change my mind because this dude lives out of town and is coming in then.

The sound I'm looking to achieve is ambient/post-rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stravinsky posted:

Have you ever thought about drivers? Like a bluesdriver, tubedriver, nightdriver?

Never known much about them. What's the advantage of those over other pedals? And what's the best model? Or rather, best for the type of sound I'm going for?

If I ended up selling this thing and not trading it, I was going to get an Ibanez Tube King, since I've heard of them being used with much success in post-rock sounds.

iostream.h posted:

I absolutely love my Proctavia. It DOESN'T get very fuzzy but it still sounds really REALLY nice. The only thing I see that you have listed that I've used with mine is the Cathedral and I don't recall any issues there. Octave fuzzes in general can be a little wonky with other pedals (you should hear my Zvexx Octane, that poo poo can get hilarious) but really, just try it out. It's a nice pedal tho'.

Awesome, I guess I'll trade for it then. No one else has responded to my post, and I've had it up for several days, so I'm just gonna go with this offer. From the YouTube videos I watched, it does sound nice. If it ends up clashing with my other pedals, I can always just put it on CL and then get a Tube King or maybe a driver or something.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used to have a Rat2 and it was good, better than the You Dirty Rat I have now that I'm trying to sell and I also liked it better than the Big Muff Pi I used to own for a few months. But I'd say something else could probably do a better job than the Rat2.

Then again, I haven't had too much experience with distortions v:shobon:v

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Last night I ordered a Joyo Sweet Baby overdrive to replace my Boss SD-1 that I've had for probably a year or so and never been terribly happy with. I watched a shootout on YouTube with 8 different kinds of Joyo overdrive/distortion pedals and that was the one that sounded the best to me. I've been on a journey for a few years to find an OD or distortion pedal that fits the sound I want to achieve, a journey that's included a Big Muff Pi, RAT2, You Dirty Rat, Digitech Heavy Metal, LPB-1, SD-1 and I think one or two others, too. And out of all those pedals, I've never been extraordinarily happy with any of them. I know they all have different uses and tones but I want the one to rule them all and I haven't found that yet. Hopefully this Joyo is it, and if not, oh well, I'm only out $30 instead of the almost $200 Mad Professor Sweet Honey it's based on. If this isn't the magic pedal I've been searching for then I'll probably buy the Joyo Vintage Overdrive next, a $30 Tubescreamer clone that sounds even better than a Tubescreamer from the YouTube comparison videos I watched.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know poo poo about the electronics inside pedals :( Will it be a big deal if I constantly keep it on a desk? I won't be using it for gigs, at least not for the foreseeable future, and it'll pretty much just be for bedroom recording sessions.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, so I got that Joyo Sweet Baby a couple weeks ago and it's not really doing it for me so I'm looking for a replacement. I mean, it's not bad and certainly produces a nice tone for the price, just not one that fits with what I'm going for.

I watched videos/listened to samples of the rest of the Joyo pedals and the only one that really grabbed me was the Us Dream, but the more I listened to it, I got the feeling it wouldn't work for me. Looked up several others (I thought the Behringer VT999 Tube Monster was a strong contender for a little while but eventually ruled that one out too), and now I think I'm trying to decide between the Boss OS-2 and the DS-2. I'm leaning more towards the OS-2 since it's kind of an all-in-one distortion and overdrive pedal and you can blend the two sounds nicely, but from what I've heard, it sounds like I'll be using the middle to the distortion side of the Color knob more than the overdrive side. The DS-2 sounds like it has a lot of potential too, but it's hard to get a feel for what will go best with the sound I'm looking to achieve (post-rock/ambient/atmospheric), especially since none of the videos on YouTube or demos on SoundCloud include anything remotely close to the type of sound I want to get.

What do you guys think would be the better buy of those 2? Or should I be looking at something else entirely? Like I said earlier in the thread, I've owned a Big Muff Pi, a RAT2, a You Dirty Rat, an SD-1 and a couple of other distortion/overdrive pedals over the years and haven't been super thrilled by any of them. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the kind of pedal I'm looking for, I guess because I've never found it, but I feel like I'd be able to know it when I heard it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 27, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

duckfarts posted:

Can you describe the sound or crunch you're looking for more? I have the US Dream, Ultimate Drive, and OS-2. US Dream is a bit more open than the Ultimate Drive, which is a lot thicker and has more butt to it. The OS-2 is tighter and more defined by comparison(usually keep flavor knob at 3/4 towards distortion), with the overdrive side being nice for flexibility, but I don't think it'll be better than a separate overdrive only pedal. That said, I haven't hooked them up for a while since my room's a mess, but I can check them out again if you want.
Well I want something brighter and clearer, not muddy like the Ultimate Drive sounded to me, but something that still has some punch. So I guess I want a nice high-end while retaining low-end but without sounding too thick and muddy? If such a pedal even exists, but it probably does since some of these I've been researching seem to get close to what I'm looking for.

I remember the Big Muff and RATs that I owned previously seemed to really bring out the high end but there was no low end to them and that's why I ditched them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, so for distortion pedals to replace my Joyo Sweet Baby, I'm now primarily looking at the Joyo Crunch Distortion and the MXR Super Badass Distortion, in addition to the Boss OS-2 and DS-2 which I still haven't ruled out. Out of these, the Super Badass, OS-2 and DS-2 seem like the most feature rich and like I could find a way to dial in the sound I really wanted, but the Joyo Crunch seems to have a nice punchy sound with some gain too.

At the same time, I'm planning on getting an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master to either replace my EHX Cathedral verb / Boss DD-7 delay or maybe run alongside those, I haven't decided yet. But from everything I've heard of the Dispatch Master, I like the way it sounds more than my Cathedral/DD7, so I'll probably end up selling those and just using the Dispatch Master as my all-in-one box.

So which one do you guys think would produce the nicest, fullest sound with the Dispatch Master?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

How set is your budget? A used DirectDrive is really inexpensive and very high quality, easy to dial in; a Fulltone OCD and the new compact Barber DirectDrive both go for $130 new and are quality. The Fulltone OCD is one of the better easy-to-use tones out there, for what it's worth; there are a shitload of versions (and some changes that occurred within versions, like the change to a 500K level pot that means some of the OCD V4s have impedance issues with other pedals coming after them, while others do not). Current version is V7, I believe. My favorite is the V4, which Amazon does still have on sale, but as mentioned it may come with the "wrong" potentiometer there.

DirectDrive, whether full-sized or the more recent compact one, is a great sounding distortion with a lot of range, built like a bomb shelter. Dave knows his stuff inside and out.

These are probably the least expensive roadworthy boutique pedals for the job, which seems to be "distortion that can get into higher gain territory but also do the low gain thing nicely."

I know it looks like your price range is more like $80-$100, but a little stretch here could get you into a whole 'nother quality tier and I think it's worth at least considering.

If price is a major factor, however... I do know that EHX recently released The Glove OD, which is, for all intents and purposes, a less expensive, mostly MIC (some finishing work done in the U.S.) manufactured OCD clone - it even has an internal charge pump to run at 18V. It only costs $62.15, and ought to be better made than the Joyo Ultimate Drive, which is another OCD clone (though from an earlier vintage, the V2... which has a lot in common with the VLOD, incidentally, the Ultimate Drive is basically a hybrid between those two). I would not recommend the Ultimate Drive from a road-worthiness perspective; I would be a little more comfortable with the EHX, though I think they've had some production issues with the earliest runs of their boutique for cheap pedals.
I'd absolutely spend $130 over $80 or $100 if it meant I was getting a pedal that I was really happy with that I wouldn't want to sell immediately.

Listened to a few demos of both and I think I like the sound of the DirectDrive Compact more than the OCD. Also I'd be really hesitant to buy a pedal on which everything is written in Comic Sans :ughh:

That OD Glove sounds like it could almost double as a fuzz pedal if you dial it in just right :stare: And I kinda dig that because having the capability of a fuzz pedal would be a hell of a bonus, although I wouldn't have the octave feature of other fuzz pedals I've seen.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 1, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

Might want to narrow it down - MXR makes a great octave fuzz called LA Machine, and the rest of its fuzz tones sound great too, but you're not going to get any of the other things that drive pedals do out of it. Pick your goal and nail that first, then when you can afford another pedal and it meets some need you have, repeat. :)
Haha, true dat. I'd want a solid drive/distortion before I'd want a fuzz, so I'll get the DirectDrive Compact and look into fuzz later. Thanks for your help in pinpointing the pedal that'd work for me :)

Also, on boosters: I was watching YouTube demos of basically every Earthquaker Devices pedal in existence last night because I'm pretty sure a new dream of mine is to own everything they make, and their Speaker Cranker is probably the raddest boost I've come across. I want one pretty badly but it's almost $200 like most of their other pedals, so that'll have to wait.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got my Dispatch Master yesterday and I've had lots of fun playing around with it. I'm convinced I'm gonna sell my Cathedral, but I may hang on to my DD7 just to have an additional delay. Although I'm not entirely sure yet. Gotta keep playing with it.

Now I just need to buy an OD/distortion to complement it. Agreed, I know you mentioned the Electro-Harmonix OD Glove in one of your posts earlier, so I take it you approve of that one? I was looking up some reviews and demos of that earlier and it sounds like it actually might suit me better than the Barber Compact Drive. Plus money is a bit tighter than I thought since I've bought the Dispatch Master, so a $50 pedal is a lot easier to swallow than a $130 pedal. I could go even cheaper than that and get the Joyo Ultimate Drive but I'd assume the build quality is better in the OD Glove anyway, right? Plus I like the sound of the Glove more than the Ultimate Drive in the demos I've watched of both.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: My EHX Glove OD distortion arrived today and I wanted to test it out, so I plugged it into my 1-Spot along with the rest of my pedals, but when I plugged it in it sparked, which freaked me out because I'd never seen that before with a pedal. I hit the switch after it was plugged in and the light came on, so I assumed it was working, but then I turned on my amp and got no audio from either my guitar or my synth (tried both). So with each pedal, I tried plugging in one pedal at a time and just going straight from the amp to said pedal and then from the pedal to the instrument, which worked fine with all of them, including the Glove. So is it just that having them all plugged in at once overloads the 1-Spot or something? I'm attributing this to the Glove and not the 1-Spot because I had my Joyo Sweet Baby in its place earlier today and had no problems like this at all when that one was plugged in.

I know the Glove has an internal 9V/18V voltage switch and I thought it may have been set to 18 and that's what was causing it, but I opened up the Glove and it was set to 9V.

The whole point of me having the 1-Spot is so I can run all my pedals at once through DC power :(

edit: Well, plugging the Glove into a different spot all the way at the end of the 1-Spot seems to have fixed it. No sparks or anything, and I have all my pedals plugged in at once. Although I don't know how safe this is to leave running :ohdear:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know this isn't really the answer you were asking about but if you're interested in putting together a decent pedalboard get yourself a Pedal Power 2 for $170 or at least something similar. It's a buy and forget kind of thing and it's so nice to have a power setup you can rely on to last and do it's job perfectly. I had a one spot for a while and never understood why it was "bad" but it's just not well made. I always had weird issues with the ones I used. If I had to reset and start buying gear from scratch the first thing I would order is the PP2.
Yeah, when I used to be in a band a few years ago, one of my former bandmates had a power supply box like that and never ran into any problems with it. But the rest of my bandmates and I all used 1-Spots and they were mostly fine. I think my first one broke completely after a couple months of owning it and I wasn't even abusing it or anything. But I got a new one after that and that's the one I'm still using. It's been going strong for years.

This may or may not be a dumb question since I already kind of know this thread's stance on Joyo stuff, but what about their version of the Pedal Power? It costs a lot less money than the PP, but does that mean it'll have a higher chance of frying all of my expensive pedals? I don't want to run that risk but I also don't have the kind of money to spend on a new pedal power supply now either :(

They both have 18V options and I'm assuming that's what I really need for my Glove to not give me any trouble.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

I like the Digitech HW Supernatural as a lower cost alternative to the modulated coolness of the Space, but nothing is going to be as out-there as it is, frankly. You won't find another pedal that does what it does. They were careful about that. :)
How come I've never heard of this one before? I just watched some YouTube videos on it and I'm in love now :swoon: Pretty sure I'm gonna have to sell my Cathedral and replace it with this to supplement my Dispatch Master.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed posted:

It was pretty big on TGP when it was released, is a Digitech & PGS exclusive, I love mine which I got some time in mid 2012 :) Great pedal; it won't do what the Space does but it has its own realm of great reverb tones. Very very hard to beat for far-out cool poo poo at the price!
Did they discontinue it and now they're reissuing it or something? I saw it for a sale a few places, including PGS, but it was out of stock everywhere. Then I saw it a few other places available for pre-order and it says "Coming Soon" on the official product page.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Please advise:

I put my Zvex Instant Lo Fi Junky up for sale on Craigslist because I haven't found a way to make its sounds work well with the rest of my chain and even on its own I don't use it that often. This guy e-mailed me asking if I wanted to trade and I told him that the only pedals that were on my must-get list now are a fuzz, a chorus and a reverb similar to that Hardwire Supernatural or the Eventide Space. He listed off all his pedals and only two jumped out at me as ones I might be interested in: Wattson EFY-6 and Maestro Brassmaster (he said it's a hand wired clone). I looked up both of those on YouTube and they both sound gnarly as gently caress but I don't know which would be better for me. The Brassmaster is a bass pedal first and foremost, right? But I read that some guitar players use it too. And I also read that that one is crazy valuable, though this is a clone of it and as such wouldn't be as valuable, but maybe its sound still would be.

Thoughts? I'll be using it with a Squier Jazzmaster, a Fender acoustic electric and a Roland synth. And I usually play ambient/post-rock type stuff, but if I had a fuzz, I don't know if I'd use that to make the same kind of stuff or something different entirely.

e: I do have a Squier Jaguar bass that I could use the Brassmaster with, too, but I don't use that bass all that much. Maybe I should get the pedal as an excuse to use that bass more haha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 25, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I love the lofi junkie of course it's also cause I love drone poo poo, oh god it sounds so cool with heavy reverb
See, I've tried it paired with reverb all sorts of ways and I just end up turning it off every time because I get discouraged because the sound doesn't end up the way I want it to :( I've tried recording stuff with it having tweaked it several different ways and it just never sounds all that right to me. It's a neat toy but something I feel I can use beyond that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stravinsky posted:

Uhh well, if you usually play ambient/post-rock get the Wattson EFY-6 because it will end up being a lot more versatile and easier to bend to your will. Sounds like you already know that the Brassmaster really would not fit your idea of what your sound pallet ought to be, so getting it would not do you a whole lot of good.

You should really get an idea of what sound you want before looking at pedals, then start looking for things that will transform that sound from your head into reality. Otherwise you get stuck in a loop of getting stuff and dropping it because it really does not work.
Yeah, that does seem to be a problem I've been having for years :shepface:

I'm not in a band or even doling solo gigs or anything right now, so getting just the right tone from a series of pedals isn't as time-sensitive as it could be for me. I've just been playing around with different sounds for a while. But it would be pretty nice to achieve tone nirvana and stop having to constantly search for new solutions (temporarily, at least :haw: ).

Thanks. I'll see if I can trade with this guy and see how the Wattson fits into my chain.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I finally traded pedals with that guy on Craigslist last night and got the Wattson EFY-6 Fuzz out of it. I haven't played around with it too much, but from what I've heard so far, it sounds filthy as gently caress and I like it.

Here's a quick demo of it used with my synth. I even used it on the bass and everything!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright so I've had that Wattson EFY-6 fuzz for a little over a week and been testing it out a good bit. I like its fuzz tones, but man, it is crazy noisy when I have it on and I'm not playing :(

I don't think I like it enough to buy something like the Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger just to get rid of its noise, so I put it up on Craigslist and I'm hoping to get a different fuzz.

I think I have it narrowed down to 2: the Swollen Pickle and the Blue Box. The Swollen Pickle seems much more versatile, but the Blue Box, while harder to control, seems like it can produce really gnarly effects that I wouldn't get with the Swollen Pickle.

Which would y'all recommend?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iostream.h posted:

This isn't intended to be in any way a snarky, smartass comment, but if you like the way it sounds learn to slam your volume knob off between songs.

I'll admit to being a little mystified in general when people worry about noise when they're not playing and invest in noise gates and all that. Learn to work your controls, spend no money, enjoy. ;)
Yeah, you're probably right :shobon: Although in addition to the hum, I'm also interested in exploring different fuzz tones. I ended up selling my EHX Glove today because since getting the fuzz, I didn't feel like I had any use for the Glove anymore. I guess I learned through trying a bunch of different pedals that I have more use for a fuzz than I do an OD/distortion. But when I got the Wattson through a trade, I wasn't expecting that to happen. So now I'm wanting a fuzz that really makes me happy on all fronts since it's going to be the only OD/distortion/fuzz I own, basically.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

If you want a fuzz that does it all, I'd recommend the Fuzz Factory. There are enough of them out there that you can score a used one for a reasonable price.

Fuzzes are always going to be loud, though. They are buzzy fury cased in metal
Yeah the Fuzz Factory is real nice too. I just thought it was out of my price range at the moment. But then I went and looked on eBay and you're right, some can be had for cheap(ish).

I also got a new synth a few days ago and want to make some dirty sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeAjKYyPL0

Would that be doable with any fuzz or just the Blue Box because it can go down 2 octaves?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iostream.h posted:

Eh, it obviously depends on what you're doing, but I can't imagine having a single boost/fuzz/OD pedal on the board, there're just too many weird options available to say 'yup this is it' and once you start stacking them on top of one another it gets even better and crazier.

Although yes, if I were going to have a single fuzz that would definitely be it, and he's absolutely right, 'buzzy fury cased in metal'.

Well only one for right now at least, and I want to get one that really counts before I start stacking them and getting even weirder combinations. But from what I've heard so far, I'm gonna want to be stacking fuzzes rather than ODs/distortions :v:

And I love your labeling :lol:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dishman posted:

The jumpy dirtiness is what the blue box is known for, pretty lively.

If you're in the conus I'll sell you my barely used blue box (with box/manual I think) for around 40 depending on how much it weighs.
Awesome :) I actually don't have any extra money for it right at the moment, but if I'm able to sell my current fuzz on Craigslist, I'll definitely hit you up about that. I'm in Louisiana so that'll work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you're going the Digitech route for delay, I'd advise against the Hardwire DL-8. That was my first ever delay pedal and I had it for a few months and didn't really like its sound at all so I sold it and got a Boss DD-7 to replace it, which I liked way better and had for a few years. I just sold that one a couple months ago because I got the Dispatch Master which has both delay and reverb.

I've had no personal experience with Digitech's XDD DigiDelay, but I just watched a couple videos on it and it seems like it sounds nice enough to make a good first delay pedal. At $100, it's cheaper than both the DL-8 and the DD-7 if that's a big factor for you.

Stravinsky posted:

Take Rageaholic Monkey (no offense dude), hes going to be back in here in a month or two asking about two pedals he saw that he is super excited about that he is going to dump the last pedal he bought to get one of them. And he is going to keep doing this non stop because he has no idea what sound he is going for. Don't get me wrong, moog pedals are super well made and do what they are designed to do at a level that many pedals do not achieve. But dropping $200 or more on the best trem/ringmod/whatever pedal is kinda dumb if it ends up just collecting dust because it turns out that it has no place on your board.
Yeah, you're right :shobon:

I mean, I have a feeling I'll know what best compliments my playing style when I play around with it, but so far I've bought a bunch of pedals and none of them have given me quite what I'm looking for. Though as a result of buying all these, I now know that I need some form of reverb, delay and fuzz as permanent fixtures on my board.

I have like $1,500 worth of pedals on my Amazon wish list right now that I've researched and seem like they could give me really stellar sounds that I've never had before, but who knows. What if I spent the money and got all of them and only half gave me what I wanted, or only half of them were pedals I could use all the time and the other half had cool sounds but sounds I'd use very infrequently? (Although I'm convinced that if I bought the Eventide Space, it'd serve me well and I'd never sell it. But when the gently caress am I going to have $500 to drop on one pedal?)

I spent like $230 on the Zvex Instant Lo-Fi Junky right after Christmas (granted, I got half the money for it as Christmas presents, but still) because I saw a video of it in...I think the synth thread which showed it giving this awesome Boards of Canada type sound and I thought it could do the same for me. But when I got it and played around with it, yeah it gave me cool sounds but nothing I felt I could use all the time. So it collected dust for a few months and I just sold it recently.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 18, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

massive spider posted:

Really just get anything you want, I've owned most delays at that price range and they're all "good". The only ones I've ever been like "wow I hate this" are the memory boy and DL4.
What didn't you like about the DL4? Just curious because I wanted to get one of those eventually. That's what Dave Knudson uses to make Minus The Bear sound like Minus The Bear, and I've watched a bunch of videos on it and it looks crazy versatile.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sounds cool :) I'd love to play around with a looper, and if for some reason I don't end up getting the DL4 eventually, I'll get the Ditto X2. Short ambient loops are something that interests me more than just about anything else, so I might get a looper before I get anything else. Well, after I figure out my fuzz situation, that is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

massive spider posted:

Also it forgets your tempo every time you bypass it.
Well that's no good :ohdear:

Maybe I'll knock the DL4 off my Amazon Wishlist and just get the Eventide TimeFactor for delay and the Ditto X2 for looping for $465 (on Amazon) at some point in the future as opposed to the DL4 for both for $250 (if ever I happen to become made of money :haw:).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

I have a TimeFactor for sale if you're interested in buying one.
Very interested, but I don't have the money for it at the moment. Just curious, how much do you have it listed for?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd do it for $275 shipped.
Goddamn, that's tempting. If I get the money anytime soon, I will gladly buy that from you if you've still got it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heads up: the Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb is now back in stock at ProGuitarShop. I bookmarked this thing a little over a month ago after Agreed namedropped it and I checked it out and it seemed to be the reverb to get...if you don't have the money for an Eventide Space, that is (which I don't). But it has been out of stock for the past month, so I immediately ordered one because who knows how long it'll stay in stock for?

It has a bunch of settings including this absolutely gorgeous Shimmer setting which is like an octave verb and Supernova which has flange in it. And, as the name says, it sounds like it'll be perfect for making ambient music, which is what I intend to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZtFi83v8Y

It's listed at $179, but if you use coupon code PEDAL15 at checkout, you get 15% off (save $27 instantly). And there's free Priority USPS shipping, too. So it was just over $150 when all was said and done.

http://proguitarshop.com/hardwire-supernatural-reverb.html

I'll post a trip report in a few days when I get mine :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhhhh so I got my Hardwire Supernatural in today and this is bar none the best reverb pedal I have ever owned. I honestly don't care if I ever get the Eventide Space after hearing this thing. And for only $150? This is definitely one of the best musical purchases I've made in a long time.

Now I just need a Ditto X2 looper and I can make some killer ambient jams.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It sounds like fun! :D That'll be my next pedal purchase for sure.

philkop posted:

E: You don't on the crazy off chance live in Orlando do you? Looking for some people to jam with and just make some sounds without attaching too much fuss to it. Everyone I find is looking to start a band. I've jammed with a few guys but it was less about coming together to create something great and more about who can play faster and crazier scales. Not my style.

How do you guys find people to jam with? Do I really need to just troll guitar center till something works out?
I don't, no :( I live in New Orleans. I wish I could be in another band. The only one I've been in was a post-rock band my friends started and invited me to join.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iostream.h posted:

So start one.
Bandmix and CL and the staff at local shops are great resources.
Huh, I'd never heard of Bandmix either.

Yeah, CL's an option. The band I was in a while back found a temporary violinist through CL, and a friend of mine found a vocalist for his electro pop project through there too. I'd rather start another band with friends, but that hasn't happened so far, so maybe it's something to consider.

Declan MacManus posted:

Also you're in New Orleans which has a thriving music scene

Stravinsky posted:

Yeah dude, your in one of the music capitals of the United States. There is no way you could not easily find people to form a band with you or to join up with one.
Yeah, y'all are right :shobon: I'm trying to work on some solo stuff right now, but once I'm done with that, I'll probably more seriously consider joining a band or forming a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

havelock posted:

The only real difference I saw between this and the dittos is that the dittos both save your loops when you power down.
...isn't that a big reason to own a looper at all? I still don't have one yet but I know I'm going with the Ditto when I do get one. Getting a Jamman seems pointless if it won't save your poo poo.