Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent019
Jun 28, 2002
LOL, ONLY DUMB PEOPLE WORK AT MCDONALD'S
Get over yourself, douchebag.
Director: David Schwimmer (Yes the guy from Friends)
Writers: Michael Ian Black & Simon Pegg

Tagline:
Love. Commitment. Responsibility. There's nothing he can't run away from.

Plot Outline: Five years after jilting his pregnant fiancée on their wedding day, out-of-shape Dennis decides to run a marathon to win her back.

Review:

While I am a fan of Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz this movie is not like either of the previous. The movie is more geared towards the fans of the romantic movie genre than the comedy spoof genre. That is not however the at least to say this movie is not funny.

The movie has its moments of hilarity, especially between Simon Pegg and Hank Azaria who play competing rivals for the same girls affection. However Dennis Doyle has one thing against him at the beginning of the movie which is he left his pregnant girlfriend at the alter and is seen running like hell down the street. This portion is called irony because later in the film it appears that he is out of shape since that fateful day.

Dennis Doyle is not fat in the sense of the word, but more an out of shape guy with a beer belly who, to impress his ex who he wants back decides to run the same marathon that his ex's current boyfriend is running. To make matters worse her current boyfriend (Hank Azaria) is a professional marathon runner.

The movie tacks on some very comedic moments in the style of the writers, but more so delivers on the romantic portions so you can really get your girlfriend or wife to go see this with you even though they didn't want to go see Shaun of the Dead because that humor is ridiculous and she doesn't understand the British for some reason.

David Schwimmer does a good job at capturing the heart of the screenplay and personally I think I enjoyed him directing more than acting like Ross from Friends in every movie he's been in.

Even though this review is a month late I must say that I enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the movies that Simon Peg and Ian Black screenplay because let's face it, this is sadly, the last one they said they would do in this genre of style promptly ending genre trilogy.

Pros: Good comedic entries, witty dialogue, India de Beaufort (Look it up), Can get the girlfriend or wife to go.
Cons: Some slow areas, not as funny as some of the previous films of Simon Peg and Ian Black.

4.0/ 5.0 Goonies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

This should be watched by any Simon Pegg fan. You will be missing giant bits of his hilarious comedy styling if you refrain from renting this one. I loved it, and even though it was more of a romantic comedy, Simon remains true to form: an imperfect slob who has way more than he deserves.

4.5/5