What University Do You Attend: The University of Texas at Austin
How Long Have You Been Attending: 4 years (graduated in '06)
Where Have You Lived (Dorms/Apartments/etc): Dobie (private dorm), off-campus
What Advice Do You Have:
I was a Finance major/Computer Science minor, so I will tailor my advice to business school students:
1) Get an internship the summer after Sophomore year; you'll stand out from everyone. I had an internship at a huge energy company and it gave me a giant leg up in both getting an internship after junior year and getting hired at an investment bank.
2) Join a club that you think you'll stick with for all four years. I wrote for the Texas Travesty and the Daily Texan and played for UT Rugby and loved all three. I have friends from those organizations that I still talk to, and I always had a large social circle in school.
3) Live in a house. All of the houses in West Campus are being torn down, but there are plenty to be had in North Campus. Don't be afraid of living 5-10 minutes away from campus.
If you live in a house, you'll be able to throw parties; if you can throw parties, you'll make a lot of friends.
4) DON'T LIVE IN ONE OF THE COMMUTER COMMUNITIES! You can find housing near campus that's just as cheap as Riverside/Far West -- DON'T LIVE IN THOSE PLACES! You can't have a "college experience" when you commute 30 minutes to school.
5) Take advantage of Austin. Austin is a decently-sized town and there are tons of companies here (I moved back). Get involved in non-UT things; intern for SXSW, contribute to local websites, etc.
|# ¿ Jun 10, 2008 23:28|
|# ¿ May 20, 2013 00:48|