Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Chile changed its fee last year, now it's free

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seconding the whole "you don't actually need proof of onward travel", in 20+ countries I actually needed to show proof of onward travel was China last month due to their 72 hour travel permit. In the end they settled for a screenshot of an email of an eticket and no hotel address.

This may only work if you're a very white american with blue eyes, US passport, and a recent haircut.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

This may only work if you're a very white american with blue eyes, US passport, and a recent haircut.

Check to all of those, plus blonde hair.

Nice to hear though, I was afraid some SA countries might be dicks to Americans because Americans are dicks to them. I guess that only extends as far as Venezuela and Brazil (so far) though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cute white girls with blond hair and blue eyes typically take 10+ minutes to clear customs in South America, depending if your customs officer is male. At least that was my experience in Granada, which is outside the scope of this thread...

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Seconding the whole "you don't actually need proof of onward travel", in 20+ countries I actually needed to show proof of onward travel was China last month due to their 72 hour travel permit. In the end they settled for a screenshot of an email of an eticket and no hotel address.

I'm a Levantine-looking US citizen, and no one has ever messed with me. Brazil is the worst, consistently, but no big deal.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Tall, white & European and Costa Rica is the only country out of those that cared about the onward travel for me. It would have been OK for them if that had been a bus ticket (I was entering by bicycle from Nicaragua) but as I refused to do so they only gave me a 30 day stamp instead of a 90 day one.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Saladman posted:

I'm also pretty confused about visa requirements in Latin America for US citizens where I'll be going.

Argentina: You have to pay the $140 or whatever online, then when you arrive in the country, you show that proof and they stamp your passport.
Chile: It's visa-free, unless you fly into Santiago, in which case you have to pay like $140 on arrival?
Bolivia: You get one at the border, but have to pay $135 in US dollars (?) and also have a hotel reservation, a yellow fever card, and a 4x4cm photo of yourself?
Uruguay: Actually free?
Peru: Actually free?
Colombia: Actually free?
Panama: Like $5 on arrival?
Costa Rica: Also free?

Am I going to have any trouble without proof of onward travel? Basically I'll have a ticket into Argentina in September and a ticket out of San José, Costa Rica on like 3 January.

E: On closer look, it looks like maybe only Costa Rica (at least nominally) requires proof of onward travel.. so that's convenient my flight is out of there.

Chile no longer has a fee, since May 2014. Argentina, and Bolivia (I think you need to get this one before you leave) still does though. I don't think the other ones have fees

King Metal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 5, 2015

Engin3
Mar 5, 2012
Only time I was asked for proof of onward travel was getting on my flight in the US. They werent going to let me get on my flight to Atlanta to connect to my flight to Colombia. They told me 5 minutes before the flight left. I bought a cheap ticket online, showed it to her on my phone, and immediately cancelled the transaction.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Saladman posted:

Back to South America: How viable is tent camping? If we're considering trekking around the wine country of Argentina, the lake district of Chile, the Atacama, Titicaca-area, Cuzco-and-environs, Cartagena-and-environs, and Costa Rica (just in general)? This would start in mid-September and go through ~Jan 1st, and in the order written (e.g. Argentina -> Lake District -> Atacama -> ...)

Is it at all worth bringing a tent and camping gear, or are hostels so cheap and safety so not good that we should just rent stuff from trekking companies the few times we -really- want to do something?

I camped in Chilean patagonia, Atacama and on Isla Del Sol. If you want to camp/trek, bring your poo poo. You'll have a hard time renting it in some places. One of my friends bought a sleeping bag when we went on El Choro trek because none of the outfitters in La Paz would rent her one. Besides which, hostels are dirt cheap in a lot of Latin America, but that doesn't include Chilean Patagonia (to include the lakes) or San Pedro de Atacama and you can save a buttload by camping. I just arrived in Cusco on my way north, so can't address the rest, but I've been glad to have my tent more than a few times.
Also, to answer one of your other questions: when I walked over the border into Bolivia from Arg at Villazon, all I needed was $60 in crisp notes.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Well, we got our tixx today. Into Buenos Aires 9 Sept 2015, out of San Jose 8 January 2016. Now to figure out everything in between... particularly, how to get from Cuzco to Bogota, and how to get from Cartagena to Panama City.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

Well, we got our tixx today. Into Buenos Aires 9 Sept 2015, out of San Jose 8 January 2016. Now to figure out everything in between... particularly, how to get from Cuzco to Bogota, and how to get from Cartagena to Panama City.

Casa Viena in Cartagena is the check-in point for yachts taking mochileros to Panama. Tony with the Andiamo is probably still doing it - plan on at least $400/head, and five days. It's an awesome trip through Kuna Yala. Typically you get dropped off at the roadhead at Miramar, or in Portobelo. If you are on a tight budget, you'll need to fly or take pangas from Capurgana. I know this trip pretty well.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 8, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

Casa Viena in Cartagena is the check-in point for yachts taking mochileros to Panama. Tony with the Andiamo is probably still doing it - plan on at least $400/head, and five days. It's an awesome trip through Kuna Yala. Typically you get dropped off at the roadhead at Miramar, or in Portobelo. If you are on a tight budget, you'll need to fly or take pangas from Capurgana. I know this trip pretty well.

We're not on a particularly tight budget but in any case one-way flights from Cartagena or Baranquilla to Panama City also seem to cost about that much (like $300 with Copa on a roundtrip Cartagena->PTY that we'd only use one direction of, now that I've just checked, and considering we'd have to spend 5 more nights in hostel, that'd actually save a decent bit of money). Is there some other way to do it? I'm not particularly excited about a 5 day boat trip, but I guess it's not really any different from spending 5 days on a beach either.

Edit: On another note, do you have any idea on how to get from southern Peru to Bogota cheaply, besides a 70 hour bus ride with 3 changes? Those flights also seem pretty expensive (also like $500--using a fake two-way flight, all the one ways are even more). Actually all flights in South America seem pretty expensive compared to similar-distanced flights in Europe, N America, or SE Asia.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 9, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
In practice, how long are tourist visas for Americans issued for Brazil? Everything on all of their websites is contradictory, which I guess maybe is their intention as they don't want Americans going to their snowflake country.

E.g. from one of their webistes:

Brazil posted:

The tourist visa for Americans and Canadians is valid for multiple entries, starting from the date it was issued, during the period the visa remains valid. The validity of a visa is decided by the Consul on a case-by-case basis and may vary from one day up to ten years. Yes it remains valid for several other visits during the validity of the visa. The only restriction is that you cannot stay in Brazil for more than 90 days each time you go (up to 180 days per year if an extension of stay after the 90 days are over is granted by the Federal Police in Brazil). For all other nationalities, the tourist visa is valid for only 90 days. The validity of business visas for all nationalities is generally limited to 90 days. The business visa for Americans and Canadians may have a longer duration; the decision is made by the Consul on a case-by-case basis.

I would like to spend like, 8 hours, in Brazil to go to the other side of Igazu Falls, but it's absolutely not worth the $215 visa 'administrative' fee if the visa is only going to be valid for 2 weeks or whatever. My passport is valid for another 9 years and it's likely enough that I'll be back within that time that I'd spend the money now, as long as I'll actually get a 10 year visa.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

In practice, how long are tourist visas for Americans issued for Brazil? Everything on all of their websites is contradictory, which I guess maybe is their intention as they don't want Americans going to their snowflake country.

E.g. from one of their webistes:

I would like to spend like, 8 hours, in Brazil to go to the other side of Igazu Falls, but it's absolutely not worth the $215 visa 'administrative' fee if the visa is only going to be valid for 2 weeks or whatever. My passport is valid for another 9 years and it's likely enough that I'll be back within that time that I'd spend the money now, as long as I'll actually get a 10 year visa.

If you get a Brazil visa from a consular mission in the States, it will almost certainly be for five or ten years, multiple entry. You might not even need it if it's only for Foz do Iguaçu. I haven't been to the falls in ten years now, but back then you could cross from Puerto Iguazu in Argentina without border formalities for a day trip.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Saladman posted:

We're not on a particularly tight budget but in any case one-way flights from Cartagena or Baranquilla to Panama City also seem to cost about that much (like $300 with Copa on a roundtrip Cartagena->PTY that we'd only use one direction of, now that I've just checked, and considering we'd have to spend 5 more nights in hostel, that'd actually save a decent bit of money). Is there some other way to do it? I'm not particularly excited about a 5 day boat trip, but I guess it's not really any different from spending 5 days on a beach either.

Edit: On another note, do you have any idea on how to get from southern Peru to Bogota cheaply, besides a 70 hour bus ride with 3 changes? Those flights also seem pretty expensive (also like $500--using a fake two-way flight, all the one ways are even more). Actually all flights in South America seem pretty expensive compared to similar-distanced flights in Europe, N America, or SE Asia.

If you're not already excited by the idea of five days on a sailboat, definitely look for another way. You can fly much more cheaply, or skirt the Darien. I've done it from Medellin. You need to get to Turbo first - from Cartagena, you'll change buses in Monteria. Turbo sucks, but you'll have to spend the night there. In the morning, there's a panga to Capurgana, on the border with Panama. You can walk from there across to Puerto Obaldia, or take another panga. Walking took mr about three hours, via Sapzurro. There used to be lots of FARC out there, but things change. Once you're in Panama, there are sometimes flights to Panama City from Puerto Obaldia, when the airport is open. The runway is really short, and they crash all the time, so there's that. Otherwise you need to ask around for a boat to Miramar or Portobelo. I paid $50 for it a few years ago, and it was the dodgiest travel I've ever done. It was like ten hours. If your Spanish isn't pretty sturdy, definitely fly from Cartagena.

Don't know about a cheap and painless way from Peru to Colombia. Airfares tend to be expensive in South America. If you're on a big trip, consider looking into an airpass. I don't know specifics, but I'm pretty sure LAN Chile does a good value.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 10, 2015

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

If you get a Brazil visa from a consular mission in the States, it will almost certainly be for five or ten years, multiple entry. You might not even need it if it's only for Foz do Iguaçu. I haven't been to the falls in ten years now, but back then you could cross from Puerto Iguazu in Argentina without border formalities for a day trip.

I'm in Switzerland, so would go to the Geneva consulate, which is still kind of a pain in the rear end (would run me ~$25 and a half day of work in the morning). My alternate plan was to try the Brazilian side on Day 1, if I get rejected, go to the Argentine side, then try the Brazilian side again on Day 2. If I get rejected again, smuggle myself across in a suitcase on Day 3. Too bad the "go over the falls in a barrel" trick only works in the opposite direction.

Thanks for the tips on the Darien crossing--I think it's going to be a flight then. My Spanish is terrible (basic vocabulary, but no grammar beyond speaking French and hoping everything is the same) though my girlfriend's is passable.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are there any towns/cities/hostels that you guys passed through that you wouldn't mind staying for two weeks to a month? I'm just finishing up two years in Panama and I'm not quite ready to go back to the States yet. My main requests are that it's cheaper (I speak Spanish and plan to do my own cooking or eating at local restaurants, and I'm just finishing up as Peace Corps volunteer so I don't have too much money) a little bit cooler than sea level Panama (think low 90s and up). I'd also like electricity, water, and wifi. I was thinking of probably trying to volunteer or work for cheap at a hostel or something similar since I've got some useful skills.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

huhu posted:

Are there any towns/cities/hostels that you guys passed through that you wouldn't mind staying for two weeks to a month? I'm just finishing up two years in Panama and I'm not quite ready to go back to the States yet. My main requests are that it's cheaper (I speak Spanish and plan to do my own cooking or eating at local restaurants, and I'm just finishing up as Peace Corps volunteer so I don't have too much money) a little bit cooler than sea level Panama (think low 90s and up). I'd also like electricity, water, and wifi. I was thinking of probably trying to volunteer or work for cheap at a hostel or something similar since I've got some useful skills.

Medellin is a very cool city with perfect climate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Medellin is a very cool city with perfect climate.

My buddy just moved to Colombia, currently living in Cartagena, but is seriously considering relocating to Medellin. I really enjoyed the week I was there. Great public transit, chill neighborhoods, lots to do, extremely walkable.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

My buddy just moved to Colombia, currently living in Cartagena, but is seriously considering relocating to Medellin. I really enjoyed the week I was there. Great public transit, chill neighborhoods, lots to do, extremely walkable.

Not many cities can boast of an integrated rail and cable car system for public transit. Did you stay in Poblado? The backpacker scene there can be pretty intense. Two of them died of overdoses while I was there.

Cartagena is all right too, but more touristy and expensive, and always hot and humid as hell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The traffic in Cartagena was loving awful, and yeah the walled city is crazy expensive. I only found about six, maybe 7 days worth of things to do and we covered most of the interesting parts of the city pretty quick. Rent for anywhere near camino real is insane, he's paying something like $450 USD for a one bedroom without AC

Yeah I stayed in Poblado @ Pitstop Hostel: http://www.pitstophostel.com/ it was really good but it was at the bottom of a steep hill where all the restaurants were at, circling a nice park. There were definitely some pretty crazy party girls I ran in to there. They usually rolled in around 10am still wired, would eat breakfast and then crash out until 9pm or so and then do it all over again.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

The traffic in Cartagena was loving awful, and yeah the walled city is crazy expensive. I only found about six, maybe 7 days worth of things to do and we covered most of the interesting parts of the city pretty quick. Rent for anywhere near camino real is insane, he's paying something like $450 USD for a one bedroom without AC

Yeah I stayed in Poblado @ Pitstop Hostel: http://www.pitstophostel.com/ it was really good but it was at the bottom of a steep hill where all the restaurants were at, circling a nice park. There were definitely some pretty crazy party girls I ran in to there. They usually rolled in around 10am still wired, would eat breakfast and then crash out until 9pm or so and then do it all over again.

I hung out at Pitstop quite a few times - know the owner, and dated one of the women who worked there. Parque LLeras (the place with all the restaurants and bars a few blocks away) is the poo poo. Pitstop is where the Irish guy kacked it by the pool one morning, after a very long night. Super nice guy, but so strung out.

http://jefffarrelljournalism.com/latin-america/police-in-colombia-probe-irish-backpacker-death/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For grins, I put together a Cities: Skylines Medellin map, that is a great city.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441480731

If you dig in to my workshop, I also have a less detailed Cartagena map.

Madeyes
Jan 24, 2013

Saladman posted:

I paid about 180 dollars for a flight from Lima to Bogota back in february, the company is called Viva Colombia. Definitely recommend checking it out. Of course you'd still need to get to Lima from Cusco, but you can solve that one on your own. If you have time and are taking the bus, go sandboard in Huacachina.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about vacationing in Belize next year. The main goal is to do a mix of snorkeling (perhaps one dive trip), hiking, and visiting some Mayan temples.

During my last three vacations (Kauai, Maui), I've gotten very used to staying in one place (private condo rental through VRBO), making my own food for breakfast and lunch (sandwich), and driving to each location with a rental car. A typical day in Maui consisted of snorkeling in the morning and hiking after lunch.

Looking at Belize, I am certain this style of vacationing is impossible - I worry that I would spend too much time traveling from one place to another. Is my impression right? It looks like it would be better to rent/book a place on a beach for 4 days and just snorkel my heart out, and then stay at a second place more inland for the rest of the trip to do a shitload of hiking.

Regarding the snorkeling, is it possible to do any decent snorkeling directly from a couple of the mainland's beaches without having to boat out to the cays? Of course I'd want to go on at least one trip to snorkel in one of the cays, but I want to minimize boating as it's taking time out of snorkeling.

Would it be possible to combine at least half of the hikes with a Mayan temple visit (an out-and-back hike with the turn around point at a temple)?

If it matters, I'd like to keep expenses below $2.5k for a ~9-night stay (excluding flight, rental car, and food) but there is flexibility.

Thanks thread.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i ffHi!
For background, I'm an idiot who procrastinates everything and a 19 year old college student.

I'm a month I'm leaving on a plane to Lima to spend two months basically doing whatever I feel like probably mostly hiking and nature poo poo. Going to fly back from Santiago (most likely, unless y'all hae any better ideas).

I know I want to visit Machu Picchu and Patagonia, but mostly I need to find things that look interesting and plan a route to travel at this point. Assumed path is Peru --> Chile --> Argentina
Anyone have any ideas/tips/websites that would make planning this easier?

I figure I'll mostly be staying in hostels/smaller hotels and traveling by bus.

edit: also for machu picchu could anyone reccomend a service that would not of been booked up yet

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 20, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Any Inca Trail tour would be booked at this point and passes would be completely sold out (it's a government ticket with your name on it). You can go to Machu Picchu on via bus/train service, or you can do it via some alternate hikes that end at Machu Picchu.

I recommend: http://www.alpacaexpeditions.com/

Good food, prepared, carry something like 7kg for you so you can just daypack everything, and reasonably sized groups.

I found Lima pretty bland for a major city. I spent 4 days there and felt fulfilled. I'm glad I spent more time in other cities.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I just today purchased flights from NYC to Santiago Chile for 8 days then on to Iguazu Falls where my partner and I will hop around for ~5 weeks before returning to NYC. We generally want to travel down towards Buenos Aires through Uruguay, stay in BA for about 3 weeks then travel back up to Iguazu falls through Argentina. What would be the best way to rent an apartment in BA for a decent price in Palermo? I've seen a bunch of different websites alongside AirBNB but I'm not sure what the best option might be.

Cheers!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just booked flights for 2 weeks in Chile this November, super excited. Managed to get a good deal with Iberia (£550 return from London). Our exact route is to be decided but I'm thinking we'll head straight up to the Atacama, after that down south to the mountains. Is Santiago worth any time? We were thinking of just a couple of nights there before our return flight. We are most interested in the landscapes and outdoors but do like cities if they have some charm to them or if there's lots going on. For example we weren't too keen on Panama City, apart from Casco Viejo, and feel that a couple of days was enough time there.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Lady Gaza posted:

Just booked flights for 2 weeks in Chile this November, super excited. Managed to get a good deal with Iberia (£550 return from London). Our exact route is to be decided but I'm thinking we'll head straight up to the Atacama, after that down south to the mountains. Is Santiago worth any time? We were thinking of just a couple of nights there before our return flight. We are most interested in the landscapes and outdoors but do like cities if they have some charm to them or if there's lots going on. For example we weren't too keen on Panama City, apart from Casco Viejo, and feel that a couple of days was enough time there.

Santiago is not, but Valparaiso is.
You should be aware that San Pedro de Atacama is preeetttyy far from Santiago/Valpo and that is a good long way to back-and-forth when you only have two weeks. Really, I would just go South

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

Santiago is not, but Valparaiso is.
You should be aware that San Pedro de Atacama is preeetttyy far from Santiago/Valpo and that is a good long way to back-and-forth when you only have two weeks. Really, I would just go South

By plane it doesn't look too bad, only a couple of hours? There's a flight to Calama later in the day when we arrive. The flight down south looks a bit longer but still OK. Valpo looks awesome though, if it's only a 90 minute bus (from what I can see online) we might just skip Santiago altogether and stay there instead before our flight home.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Are there any reasonable SIM cards / carriers that work pretty well across South America, or am I going to have to buy a SIM card for every country? I'm going to be in South America for 4 months and will want 3G (or 4G if that exists anywhere outside major urban centers) and it would be nice to not have to buy 5 different SIMs. Doesn't have to be data heavy, even like 200 MB/mo would be fine, although the more the merrier. Particularly, I'll be starting off in Argentina for 3-4 weeks.

People always ask the same question in the Europe megathread and the answer is 'no, you're screwed', but here's hoping SA is more modern! Or maybe the international data roaming prices are so cheap I won't care (?).

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I'm moving to Chile next month for an exchange - my actual classes start in August but I'll be flying in around the middle of July and travelling for a couple of weeks. What's a good way to fill those two weeks without trying to do too much? I'm thinking about Buenos Aires + Iguazu and maybe something else (Rio?), I know most of Chile is going to be rainy and lovely and I don't want to speedrun Bolivia. Anywhere semi-nearby that I'm overlooking?

I'm going to be living in Santiago until December so anywhere especially close (Mendoza etc.) is readily doable during the regular months.

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 9, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Cometa Rossa posted:

I'm moving to Chile next month for an exchange - my actual classes start in August but I'll be flying in around the middle of July and travelling for a couple of weeks. What's a good way to fill those two weeks without trying to do too much? I'm thinking about Buenos Aires + Iguazu and maybe something else (Rio?), I know most of Chile is going to be rainy and lovely and I don't want to speedrun Bolivia. Anywhere semi-nearby that I'm overlooking?

Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu is 18 hours by bus, and it's about another 24 hours from there to Rio. That's a lot of bus time for two weeks, and flights will add up really quickly in South America.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Iguazú is cool, but I don't think it's worth a visit if you're not already nearby.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did BA to PI to Rio via bus in 2009. I don't recommend it. Everyone should see PI falls though. Just fly in, fly out. Too much time on a bus.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Well maybe 2 weeks in Bolivia wouldn't be outrageous then? 4 easy days in La Paz, 3 at Titicaca, 3 or 4 around Uyuni and the rest in San Pedro before flying down to Santiago.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm going to be looking to spend a solid 7 days and 6 nights in Central/South American rain forest this December. I'm looking to narrow down options a bit, since it seems that there are a lot of places that could meet my wants. I'm basically looking for relaxing and disconnected from most civilization. I did Costa Rica last year with the help of this thread and it was awesome, but looking to go some place new this year.

Budget: 5K all in for 2 people, willing to go a little higher for something outstanding

Rain forest outside of the city, out in the middle of nowhere feeling
Attractions within reasonable distance (National Parks, waterfalls, caves, volcanoes, etc...)
Nearby swimmable bodies of water a bonus (Ocean, lake, big river, all good)

Lodging:
Not a boring corporate hotel room feel (Open hut with no AC is fine, well-appointed boutique room also fine)
Individual cottage/hut/casita is a bonus, but not a deal-breaker
Passable food available

Any and all advice is welcome. I've been checking out Belize, Guatemala and Puerto Rico so far, and there seem to be some cool options, but I need to book soon. I'm going over Christmas break and at least 50% of the places I have checked out are already booked.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm going to be looking to spend a solid 7 days and 6 nights in Central/South American rain forest this December. I'm looking to narrow down options a bit, since it seems that there are a lot of places that could meet my wants. I'm basically looking for relaxing and disconnected from most civilization. I did Costa Rica last year with the help of this thread and it was awesome, but looking to go some place new this year.

Budget: 5K all in for 2 people, willing to go a little higher for something outstanding

Rain forest outside of the city, out in the middle of nowhere feeling
Attractions within reasonable distance (National Parks, waterfalls, caves, volcanoes, etc...)
Nearby swimmable bodies of water a bonus (Ocean, lake, big river, all good)

Lodging:
Not a boring corporate hotel room feel (Open hut with no AC is fine, well-appointed boutique room also fine)
Individual cottage/hut/casita is a bonus, but not a deal-breaker
Passable food available

Any and all advice is welcome. I've been checking out Belize, Guatemala and Puerto Rico so far, and there seem to be some cool options, but I need to book soon. I'm going over Christmas break and at least 50% of the places I have checked out are already booked.

Look into Ometepe, in Lake Nicaragua. It's a teardrop-shaped island in the middle of the lake, dominated by two perfect volcanoes - very rustic. Food isn't great, but there is decent lake fish available. Belize would fit the bill too, even though I'm not an enormous fan of the place. Panama would be a good bet too - it has everything Costa Rica has, minus the heavy tourism. Chiapas, Mexico is my other suggestion. Ocean beaches aren't great, but there are several Maya sites (Palenque is my favorite), with a couple of waterfalls (Agua Azul and Misol-Ha) nearby. Chiapas also has the gorgeous highland town of San Cristobal de las Casas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

Any Inca Trail tour would be booked at this point and passes would be completely sold out (it's a government ticket with your name on it). You can go to Machu Picchu on via bus/train service, or you can do it via some alternate hikes that end at Machu Picchu.

I recommend: http://www.alpacaexpeditions.com/

Good food, prepared, carry something like 7kg for you so you can just daypack everything, and reasonably sized groups.

I found Lima pretty bland for a major city. I spent 4 days there and felt fulfilled. I'm glad I spent more time in other cities.

thanks! I think I'm going to do the Salkantay Trek through these dudes. Booked my ticket for the fourth and I figure I should do this around like the 10th then?

As a general question to the thread, how would you balance 2 months Between Peru/Chile/Argentina? What are the must see's in this region in your opinion? Where would you spend most of your time?