Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

So I want to move to Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Bolivia, Ecuador or, failing that, Argentina, permanently in the pretty distant future (at least 2 and a half years).

I'm wondering what visa options there are for a dumbass like me who's not going to start a business, doesn't have a passive income, etc.

Currently the only realistic option seems like going to Chile on a working holiday visa (which I'll sadly have to skip postgrad for since I'll be 29 by the time I finish my degree and to be eligible and you need to be under 30), and then using that to apply for permanent residency, with which I could start applying for jobs that are actually within my field but which require a visa. Uruguay and Argentina have working holiday agreements with my country (Australia) as well, but they require ridiculous amounts of savings (10k+) while Chile only requires $5000 USD.

Pretty solid option, but I'm wondering if there's another way beyond getting a job offer before entering the country in any of these places? Any that will allow you upgrade a tourist visa to a work visa while already in the country? My first choice is Bolivia, but there is understandably little demand for English-speakers there, and second is Peru but they're pretty strict on immigration requirements.

I'm not going to have any in-demand professional qualifications so I think my chances of enticing an employer to go through the trouble of sponsoring my visa before I go are very slim, unless a by-the-books English school gets really desperate for a native speaker with a random degree. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My field is Latin American Studies which I am certainly not going to get employment with without postgrad, unless I get very lucky and find an NGO or other such humanitarian organisation that's recruiting. I'd want to get consolidated and then finish my studies in the country I immigrate to, or finish them at home and then travel (but my field is so narrow that I probably won't find a job from outside the country anyway)

What do you have to offer? Do you speak any Spanish? I don't see why any country, particularly a country with high unemployment, would fall all over itself to give residency to some unqualified Western bro with two groats in his pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

highme posted:

Putting together a surf trip for the wife and I to Costa Rica sometime this fall. Currently I'm looking at going to Tamarindo the first week of December as it seems to be still fairly inexpensive and on the tail end of the rainy season. Is there a better option than Tamarindo? We're pretty set on Costa Rica as we're flying on Alaska Airlines buddy passes, my wife wants to go someplace warm, and I want to go someplace to A) surf & B) that I've never been to. I'm totally ok with being a tourist and pretty much just want to chill and surf for a few days. From what I can tell, Tamarindo looks fairly easy to get to from Liberia and is also more likely to be drier at that time of year.

Tamarindo is pleasant enough for surfing and shoreside stuff. It's pretty busy and commercial though, and I'd rather be in Nicaragua. It's easy to get to from Liberia - you'll be across the border at Peñas Blancas in less than two hours from the airport. Nearby San Juan del Sur is the base for surfing in southwestern Nicaragua - check out Playa Maderas, just north of SJDS. Great beach break, with winds that are consistently offshore until late morning.

Nicaragua is MUCH cheaper and less commercial than Costa Rica, with less theft. I always say that Costa Rica is Latin America Lite - no colonial cities or interesting history, heavily European-descended population, heavily touristed. Nicaragua has everything Costa Rica has to offer at half the price, as well as colonial cities (Granada, León), better volcanoes, and Ometepe.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks, I'll check out Nicaragua as well. I was hoping I could make this trip coincide with some Concacaf Champions League but our match (Portland Timbers) vs Saprissa is to early for me to pull it off. So instead the focus is more on beach stuff. If that's better in Nicaragua and easy to get to, I'm open to the suggestion.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

highme posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Nicaragua as well. I was hoping I could make this trip coincide with some Concacaf Champions League but our match (Portland Timbers) vs Saprissa is to early for me to pull it off. So instead the focus is more on beach stuff. If that's better in Nicaragua and easy to get to, I'm open to the suggestion.

Depends on what you're looking for. Costa Rica has a lot of low- to middle-brow development on the Pacific, with a lot of North Americans looking for safety in the tropics. Nicaragua has much less tourist infrastructure (although SJdS area is developed), but the same stretch of Pacific beaches. You get a LOT more for your money there - check AirBnB for the stuff you can get around SJdS.

I don't dislike Costa Rica; I just like Nicaragua and Panama way more.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

TheImmigrant posted:

What do you have to offer? Do you speak any Spanish? I don't see why any country, particularly a country with high unemployment, would fall all over itself to give residency to some unqualified Western bro with two groats in his pocket.

It sounds like you know pretty much nothing on the subject which I'm asking for help with. Maybe you shouldn't make a snarky post based purely on assumptions, then ;)

I hope it doesn't offend too much to learn that whether one obtains residency in any of the countries I listed is mostly a matter of convincing an employer to hire you, rather than "a country." I'm also not sure where your "high unemployment" idea comes from, sounds like you just randomly pulled it out based on your own preconceived notions against the countries I listed :O. Keep that bigotry to yourself!

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 2, 2016

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

THE PWNER posted:

So I want to move to Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Bolivia, Ecuador or, failing that, Argentina, permanently in the pretty distant future (at least 2 and a half years).

I'm wondering what visa options there are for a dumbass like me who's not going to start a business, doesn't have a passive income, etc.

Currently the only realistic option seems like going to Chile on a working holiday visa (which I'll sadly have to skip postgrad for since I'll be 29 by the time I finish my degree and to be eligible and you need to be under 30), and then using that to apply for permanent residency, with which I could start applying for jobs that are actually within my field but which require a visa. Uruguay and Argentina have working holiday agreements with my country (Australia) as well, but they require ridiculous amounts of savings (10k+) while Chile only requires $5000 USD.

Pretty solid option, but I'm wondering if there's another way beyond getting a job offer before entering the country in any of these places? Any that will allow you upgrade a tourist visa to a work visa while already in the country? My first choice is Bolivia, but there is understandably little demand for English-speakers there, and second is Peru but they're pretty strict on immigration requirements.

I'm not going to have any in-demand professional qualifications so I think my chances of enticing an employer to go through the trouble of sponsoring my visa before I go are very slim, unless a by-the-books English school gets really desperate for a native speaker with a random degree. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My field is Latin American Studies which I am certainly not going to get employment with without postgrad, unless I get very lucky and find an NGO or other such humanitarian organisation that's recruiting. I'd want to get consolidated and then finish my studies in the country I immigrate to, or finish them at home and then travel (but my field is so narrow that I probably won't find a job from outside the country anyway)

There is no way this is real.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, just ignore him. He's been posting in the Venezuela thread about the glories of Chavismo and how all of Venezuelas current problems are because evil small business owners refuse to sell their massive stockpiles of food to proud citizens, so he's either trolling or mentally handicapped.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

highme posted:

Putting together a surf trip for the wife and I to Costa Rica sometime this fall. Currently I'm looking at going to Tamarindo the first week of December as it seems to be still fairly inexpensive and on the tail end of the rainy season. Is there a better option than Tamarindo? We're pretty set on Costa Rica as we're flying on Alaska Airlines buddy passes, my wife wants to go someplace warm, and I want to go someplace to A) surf & B) that I've never been to. I'm totally ok with being a tourist and pretty much just want to chill and surf for a few days. From what I can tell, Tamarindo looks fairly easy to get to from Liberia and is also more likely to be drier at that time of year.

I spent a month in that area last Dec/Jan, although I don't know anything about surfing, so take this with a grain of salt. The Witch's Rock area at Playa Naranjo in P.N. Santa Rosa is supposedly phenomenal for surfing, but Playa Naranjo is quite far from Tamarindo by car and, like everything else in CR, I'm sure any more direct chartered boat rides will be prohibitively expensive to do it more than once. I'm not sure what your budget is, but CR is quite expensive and hard to get around in -- taxis are outrageous (literally think NYC prices), car rentals expensive, and regular public transit pretty spotty.

Going to second/third going to SJdS across the border in Nicaragua where everything is nicer and cheaper. The border crossing from Liberia is annoying and you'll lose half a day in either direction but it's not too bad and it's about the same time / trouble as flying into Managua. There are a ton of different beaches along the coast from SJdS, way fewer people, much nicer accommodation-for-price, and taxis are dirt cheap. Again though I'm not a surfer so maybe something about Tamarindo or Playa Naranjo is simply better than what the SJdS surf spots offer.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Going to Guadalajara, any suggestions/must see. I'll have lots of freetime.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I have a really specific Brazil travel question.

Next August two friends and myself are planning on spending 6-8 days in the Pantanal, arriving from Cuiaba and then afterwards heading to either Chapada dos Guimaraes or Bonito for another 6-8 days.

One of my travel companions is a biologist and the other is like me a huge wildlife photography enthusiast. Since our budgets are wildly different but we want to stick together, I'm wondering how realistic it is to self-drive most of our time in the Pantanal and what we might want to do/not miss out on. if anyone's done some activities in the area or can recommend some I'm super interested.

e. Guess I killed the thread, go me!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 12, 2016

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Is there any good travel blogs for South America? I'm young and enjoy being social/nightlife if that is relevant. I'm kinda struggling with planning a trip here compared to Europe.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 27, 2016

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Harley C posted:

Is there any good travel blogs for South America? I'm young and enjoy being social/nightlife if that is relevant. I'm kinda struggling with planning a trip here compared to Europe.

If you're social and like nightlife, there's nothing better you could do for yourself than start learning Spanish. Without basic Spanish ability, you'll mostly be limited to socializing on the Gringo Trail. Don't get me wrong - that can be a lot of fun - but socializing will take place primarily with British gap-year kids and Israeli backpackers and North American anarcho-vegans if you stick to it.

I've found that most 'travel blogs' in English dealing with South America are primarily that. Cocaine in Medellin, Cuenca, Machu Picchu, Salar de Uyuni, a backpacker hostel in La Paz.

If you ask me, anyone planning a long trip in Latin America who a) doesn't learn some Spanish first, or b) passes up the opportunity to study it (extremely cheaply) for a month or two at the beginning of a trip is a fool. Spanish is probably the easiest of all languages for an English-speaker to learn.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

If you're social and like nightlife, there's nothing better you could do for yourself than start learning Spanish. Without basic Spanish ability, you'll mostly be limited to socializing on the Gringo Trail. Don't get me wrong - that can be a lot of fun - but socializing will take place primarily with British gap-year kids and Israeli backpackers and North American anarcho-vegans if you stick to it.

I've found that most 'travel blogs' in English dealing with South America are primarily that. Cocaine in Medellin, Cuenca, Machu Picchu, Salar de Uyuni, a backpacker hostel in La Paz.

If you ask me, anyone planning a long trip in Latin America who a) doesn't learn some Spanish first, or b) passes up the opportunity to study it (extremely cheaply) for a month or two at the beginning of a trip is a fool. Spanish is probably the easiest of all languages for an English-speaker to learn.

I'm currently 48 days deep on a Spanish Duolingo streak!! I've also dated a Brazilian exchange student for almost a year so I have a little bit of background. I'm ok with exposure to those travel blogs. I just want to work out a route first of all then go off the track to actually meet cool people while I'm there. I don't think I'll be elite enough to completely abandon the noob trail even if I want to be!

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 27, 2016

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Harley C posted:

I'm currently 48 days deep on a Spanish Duolingo streak!! I've also dated a Brazilian exchange student for almost a year, and am studying a Masters of International Relations so I have a little bit of background. I'm ok with exposure to those travel blogs. I just want to work out a route first of all then go off the track to actually meet cool people while I'm there. I don't think I'll be elite enough to completely abandon the noob trail even if I want to be!

Cool, well done. I honestly don't bother with travel blogs, as 95% of the one's I've read are utter crap. They range from unbearably twee to insufferably pretentious to downright subliterate, but I don't like the 'genre.'

Try asking the regulars on this thread questions. Quite a few of us have a lot of experience in South (and Central) America, as well as Mexico. You'll have to throw out a few of your own preferences though.

I could write a list of places in Central America where Everyone Goes. (I know you said South America, but I won't go there right now because I do have to bill some hours today.) It would be something like:

• Tulum (Mexico)
  • Puerto Escondido (Mexico)
  • Oaxaca (Mexico)
  • Palenque (Mexico)
  • San Cristóbal (Mexico)
  • Lake Atitlán (Guatemala)
  • Antigua (Guatemala)
  • Utila (Honduras). People tend to overlook Honduras and El Salvador, for safety reasons. Utila is the one exception, on the Caribbean side of Honduras.
  • León and Granada (Nicaragua)
  • San Juan del Sur area (Nicaragua)
  • Costa loving Rica. Puerto Viejo is the backpacker spot where people lose weeks. Tamarindo is where people take surfing lessons while thieves rifle their budget rooms.
  • Bocas del Toro, Panama. The rest of Panama is kind of a cul-de-sac for overland travel, although I'm a big fan. A really cool option is to take a sailboat from Portobelo or nearby, on the Caribbean coast, to Cartagena, Colombia, via a few deserted island overnights in Kuna Yala.

You can divide countries into budget tiers too, which is useful when planning.

Bare-bones Budget
  • Bolivia
  • Peru
  • Ecuador
  • Nicaragua
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras

Budget (- to + for more)
  • Colombia-
  • Paraguay-
  • Argentina (heavily dependent on lifestyle)
  • Mexico (heavily dependent on activities)
  • El Salvador-
  • Uruguay
  • Panama
  • Costa Rica+ (poor value)

Expensive
  • Belize (not crazy expensive, but poor value)
  • Chile
  • Brazil (++ for the south and southeast)

Bad Time To Go
Venezuela

Not Convinced Anyone Has Ever Gone
The Guyanas and Suriname

I know I forgot something, but I'm freestyling it.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Thanks for this great response, I'll make sure to do more research and come back with more specific questions!

I didn't mention it but I am Australian so as much as I would like to city hop, it isn't too affordable. I mainly want to get a taste of areas then go to the next country.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 27, 2016

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I mean specific questions, as in what you want to do while traveling. Cultural stuff, beaches, jungle, adventure activities, get as hosed up as possible every day and night for pennies?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

I mean specific questions, as in what you want to do while traveling. Cultural stuff, beaches, jungle, adventure activities, get as hosed up as possible every day and night for pennies?

All of those things sound good. I am a DJ so I love music and nightlife is a big thing for me. I had a great experience in Barcelona because I ditched my hostel on Halloween and went to a techno festival solo. I enjoy those cultural experiences maybe a bit more than historical sites. I am starting to think I should go to the US west coast, then to Mexico, then to Peru to meet up with a friend (plus maybe Belo Horizonte to visit my ex) and leave most of South America till I'm a bit older. That is probably a stupid itinerary but I don't really understand how to estimate prices for travel in these regions just yet. I would love it if I could go to a party that MC Bin Laden was playing at.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Harley C posted:

All of those things sound good. I am a DJ so I love music and nightlife is a big thing for me. I had a great experience in Barcelona because I ditched my hostel on Halloween and went to a techno festival solo. I enjoy those cultural experiences maybe a bit more than historical sites. I am starting to think I should go to the US west coast, then to Mexico, then to Peru to meet up with a friend (plus maybe Belo Horizonte to visit my ex) and leave most of South America till I'm a bit older. That is probably a stupid itinerary but I don't really understand how to estimate prices for travel in these regions just yet. I would love it if I could go to a party that MC Bin Laden was playing at.

Probably better to focus on manageable chunks the first time around. US West Coast plus Mexico plus Peru plus southeastern Brazil all in one trip, you're looking at a crushing bill for plane tickets before you even get started. This itinerary is like saying I want to take a trip where I visit Iceland, Rome, Israel, and Cape Town.

Mexico is awesome, but bear in mind that much, if not most of of the northern half of the country is sketchy. The entire Mexican side of the border with the US is pretty dangerous. On the other hand, Mexico City has stupendous nightlife, besides being one of the world's most underrated cities. The south and southeast of the country has everything else you could want on a trip, except skiing. It's a big country too, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice to blow through it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Harley C posted:

Thanks for this great response, I'll make sure to do more research and come back with more specific questions!

I didn't mention it but I am Australian so as much as I would like to city hop, it isn't too affordable. I mainly want to get a taste of areas then go to the next country.

I'm not sure if you meant city hopping in Australia or Latin America, but some LatAm countries have low cost carriers which makes it dirt cheap to city hop, e.g. Viva Colombia. Peru also has something that I can't remember the name of. Chile and Argentina you're out of luck for cheap flights. Fortunately, buses in South America are also cheap—even the cheapest seats reasonably comfortable (better than flying coach).

Hitting the major tourist stops is fun. I spent 4.5 months around LatAm from Tierra del Fuego up to Managua last year and it was great. My Spanish is lousy but I'm not really into going out and partying and meeting people at bars anyway unless I already know someone local or plan to stay in one area for quite a while. I speak French and English and was not able to learn enough Spanish to have an enjoyable conversation with people in Spanish, but I was fine for understanding, getting around, and basics, which you'll want although it's not strictly necessary as long as you have hands and can mime worth a drat. We did meet quite a few locals in various countries though by other activities (e.g. flat sharing, scuba diving, meeting friends-of-friends-of-friends who showed us around).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TheImmigrant posted:

Not Convinced Anyone Has Ever Gone
The Guyanas and Suriname

Guyana is fascinating because of the amount of free drinks I was given by people between Georgetown and the Surinamese border. The road from Boa Vista (Brazil) going through the Amazon is also quite intriguing,, just got to be lucky with the weather because unless they've paved yet it's a bugger and in the rain is impassable.
Suriname has the most random mix of cultures and something I'd never have expected to see in the Americas. Friendliest passport control guy, let me sleep at his house because the boat was cancelled for the night and was an ex-international footballer for Suriname.
French Guyana is stupidly expensive but the 'metros' living there that I met were some of the most content people I've met. Fantastic fire stations and if you like being on rivers amazing as that's basically what everyone seems to do every weekend.

highme
May 25, 2001

TheImmigrant posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. Costa Rica has a lot of low- to middle-brow development on the Pacific, with a lot of North Americans looking for safety in the tropics. Nicaragua has much less tourist infrastructure (although SJdS area is developed), but the same stretch of Pacific beaches. You get a LOT more for your money there - check AirBnB for the stuff you can get around SJdS.

I don't dislike Costa Rica; I just like Nicaragua and Panama way more.

I'm currently in the booking stage and looking at a few options. Do you have an opinion on Popoyo? I've found a great looking spot, but not sure how easy it will be to get there from the border crossing.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Has anyone been to Oaxaca for the Guelaguetza fest and is it worth going? I'm currently learning Spanish and wanted to plan a trip to help improve my speaking and learn more about the region. Did you have a favorite event?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any Brazilians here?

I'm going to Brasil for a week with my girlfriend. 3 days in Rio, 3 days in Angra.

I'm thinking of renting a car and driving down BR-101 to Angra.

Is this a really dumb idea for a foreigner to do?

Caveats:

1. I'm from Argentina and am used to lovely drivers.

2. I speak (some) Portuguese and Spanish.

Edit: the alternative is taking the hotel transfer but it's more expensive and also the road seems like a fun drive.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

Has anyone been to Oaxaca for the Guelaguetza fest and is it worth going? I'm currently learning Spanish and wanted to plan a trip to help improve my speaking and learn more about the region. Did you have a favorite event?

Yes, it is definitely worth going to Oaxaca for any reason. It's one of the top highlights to the entire country.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

highme posted:

I'm currently in the booking stage and looking at a few options. Do you have an opinion on Popoyo? I've found a great looking spot, but not sure how easy it will be to get there from the border crossing.

Do you surf? There's not much going on at Popoyo unless you surf or bring someone to sex all day on beaches with no one around. It's not hard to get there from the Costa Rica border - take the Pan-Am up to Rivas, and then left all the way to Popoyo. If you're on buses, you'll need to catch a chicken bus or probably a taxi at Rivas.

There are a handful of isolated accommodations options in the area. Bring groceries and booze, because you won't find much but the very basics (rice and beans) around Popoyo.

While you're in the area, be sure to check out Ometepe. There's a lake port in Rivas called San Jorge, where you catch ferries to Moyogalpa on the island. Ometepe is one of my favorite places in the world.

highme
May 25, 2001

The main goal is for my wife & I to spend a week on a beach with nothing to do but (learn how to) surf, chill and gently caress. So it seems like you're saying Popoyo would be a good spot for that. I've got a room booked here --> http://www.buenaondaresort.com/ so groceries aren't really a concern as we'll just eat at their restaurant.

And yeah, Ometepe is on the agenda.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

highme posted:

The main goal is for my wife & I to spend a week on a beach with nothing to do but (learn how to) surf, chill and gently caress. So it seems like you're saying Popoyo would be a good spot for that. I've got a room booked here --> http://www.buenaondaresort.com/ so groceries aren't really a concern as we'll just eat at their restaurant.

And yeah, Ometepe is on the agenda.

Looks nice - you getting a house, or one of the rooms? I would still recommend getting some snacks and especially booze in Rivas. Restaurants out in the sticks in Nicaragua can be pretty limited in their selection - you'll probably be glad if you have some self-catering options. I checked out the menu for that place's restaurant, and I can almost guarantee half of it will be unavailable most days. Menus at these kinds of places tend to be more aspirational than realistic.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 1, 2016

highme
May 25, 2001

One of the deluxe rooms. Definitely will heed your advice on doing some grocery shopping.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Large, open-ended question ahead - apologies in advance!

My wife and I are intending to travel around most/all of South and Central America over the course of next year, starting from probably mid January until who knows when. We don't have any kind of plan yet other than maybe a vague idea of travelling south to north or vice-versa depending on what works better. We're sort of low to mid-range budget people, since we don't have jobs anymore we can't splurge but we don't have to scrounge for the absolute cheapest hostel either.

But my question is: are there any sights slightly off the beaten track that people would recommend? Since we have the luxury of time, we can head for the obscure places as well as the highlights. Are there particular times of year we definitely should or shouldn't visit places? What's your secret hidden gem?

In terms of what we like to see, we're pretty open-minded. Local food and culture is a must, I love history, my wife loves art. We both do a lot of beaches and snorkelling (unfortunately I can't scuba dive due to a medical condition), and we like to do hiking as well.

Would love to hear some suggestions!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

webmeister posted:

Large, open-ended question ahead - apologies in advance!

My wife and I are intending to travel around most/all of South and Central America over the course of next year, starting from probably mid January until who knows when. We don't have any kind of plan yet other than maybe a vague idea of travelling south to north or vice-versa depending on what works better. We're sort of low to mid-range budget people, since we don't have jobs anymore we can't splurge but we don't have to scrounge for the absolute cheapest hostel either.

But my question is: are there any sights slightly off the beaten track that people would recommend? Since we have the luxury of time, we can head for the obscure places as well as the highlights. Are there particular times of year we definitely should or shouldn't visit places? What's your secret hidden gem?

In terms of what we like to see, we're pretty open-minded. Local food and culture is a must, I love history, my wife loves art. We both do a lot of beaches and snorkelling (unfortunately I can't scuba dive due to a medical condition), and we like to do hiking as well.

Since time isn't an issue, and you want to get off the beaten track, spend a couple of months at the beginning of the trip studying Spanish on-site somewhere. Try to avoid the places like Antigua (Guatemala) or Cuenca (Ecuador), where hundreds of backpackers swarm to spend two hours every morning in lessons, and then the rest of the day drinking beer and speaking English with Danes and Israelis who are also supposedly studying Spanish. You'll want to take into account the local accent: I suggest highland Colombia (Manizales and Pereira are really pleasant, mid-sized cities where you'd be immersed in the language, and highland Colombians speak crystal-clear Spanish) or Mexico (fairly strong accent, but everyone understands Mexican Spanish due to dominance of Mexican media). I'm partial to Mexico, which has the most distinctive and unique history and art in Latin America. The country has a terrible reputation right now, but if you avoid the north of the country and Guerrero state, it's safe for tourists. Mexico City is a fantastic place to spend time, or you could easily spend a couple of months in a place like Oaxaca or Mérida. Also, settling into a place for a while is the best way to stretch your budget.

Your question is too broad to answer equally broadly, since I do have to work. Do a bit of research and narrow things down, and people on this thread are more than happy to talk Latin America.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If you're spending a ton of time in Latin American and not learning Spanish then you're going to miss out. I'd love for that amount of immersion. Duolingo is free.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any Brazilians here?

I'm going to Brasil for a week with my girlfriend. 3 days in Rio, 3 days in Angra.

I'm thinking of renting a car and driving down BR-101 to Angra.

Is this a really dumb idea for a foreigner to do?

Caveats:

1. I'm from Argentina and am used to lovely drivers.

2. I speak (some) Portuguese and Spanish.

Edit: the alternative is taking the hotel transfer but it's more expensive and also the road seems like a fun drive.

Went to Brazil a couple months ago, didn't drive there but it didn't look too bad, outside of the Rio clusterfuck of course. Worst thing that could happen is your GPS taking you through a favela because it's shorter, but you can recognize the sketchy areas easily from afar.
Another alternative is to take the bus, there are quite a lot going down the coast: http://www.buscaonibus.com.br/

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

webmeister posted:

I really liked Bolivia, of which pretty much the entire country is off the beaten path. Obviously no beaches, though. Potosi, Sucre, rurrenabaque, and the yungas area are names to start with.

Northern Peru was very cool for me and much, much less touristy than the whole machu pichu thing (which is still worth it). Look into the ruins of Kuelap outside of Cajamarca. When we toured those ruins, almost all of the other tourists were Peruvians.

Seconding the recommendation to get some Spanish under your belt pre trip and at the beginning, if you don't already know it. My wife and I took five weeks of private lessons after landing in bolivia and it really helped us get more out of the rest of our trip.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
loving Aerolineas Argentinas. They keep canceling my USH to BUE flight and pushing me to another one. Anybody have a read on what's happening? Does the company list a bunch of flights and then cancel the ones that nobody's buying? The weird part is that new flights seem to be popping up after the cancelled ones. I can't complain too much as my current flight is the best one in terms of time, but I'm definitely weary of having to call in and wait 30 minutes each time they cancel and they don't even email me when my flight times have changed.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

What's up South America thread? The girlfriend and I are getting headed down to Buenos Aires from November 1 - 29. We both work remotely so we'll be working during the week but are starting to plan some weekend trips / activities. One thing I'm having a hard time finding is a decent list of festivals/concerts/events going on in BA. Anyone have a good site for that kind of thing or have any recommendations? We're staying in an AirBnB place in Palermo if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

mintskoal posted:

What's up South America thread? The girlfriend and I are getting headed down to Buenos Aires from November 1 - 29. We both work remotely so we'll be working during the week but are starting to plan some weekend trips / activities. One thing I'm having a hard time finding is a decent list of festivals/concerts/events going on in BA. Anyone have a good site for that kind of thing or have any recommendations? We're staying in an AirBnB place in Palermo if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
This site seems to have a lot of events added to it:
http://www.vuenosairez.com/

Not the nicest UI for dates, but if you put in some specific dates in Nov, it'll show you stuff.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mintskoal posted:

Thanks!

I spent about 9 days there last year, so I'm not an expert, but a few recommendations:

(1) Colonia del Sacramento is super boring and there's nothing to do there except pet the stray dogs. If you have to go to Uruguay. instead take a weekend and go to Montevideo.
(2) Tigre is really unusual, do one of those boat tours through the estuary.
(3) If you like steaks, go to Don Julio. Recommended to us by Portenos and loved it. It was dirt cheap last year at the parallel exchange rate (US$1 = AR$15), no idea if this will have changed now that the real exchange rate is the old black market one, but it was like $12 for a super good 300g steak.
(4) Go to the Sunday San Telmo market at least once.

The rest of my time was all spent in BA itself — tons to do!

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Eat a ton of pizza. I'd recomend Las Cuartetas and El Cuartito in downtown BA or if you are near Colegiales and Belgrano, La Mezzeta and order a fugazzeta rellena ( onion pizza stuffed with mozzarella inside the dough) and die happy.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Saladman posted:

I spent about 9 days there last year, so I'm not an expert, but a few recommendations:

(1) Colonia del Sacramento is super boring and there's nothing to do there except pet the stray dogs. If you have to go to Uruguay. instead take a weekend and go to Montevideo.
(2) Tigre is really unusual, do one of those boat tours through the estuary.
(3) If you like steaks, go to Don Julio. Recommended to us by Portenos and loved it. It was dirt cheap last year at the parallel exchange rate (US$1 = AR$15), no idea if this will have changed now that the real exchange rate is the old black market one, but it was like $12 for a super good 300g steak.
(4) Go to the Sunday San Telmo market at least once.

The rest of my time was all spent in BA itself — tons to do!

This is great, thanks a bunch!

e: searched

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If you can read Spanish then the city's event guide is pretty good. It's only for the actual city and not the metro area.

http://disfrutemosba.buenosaires.gob.ar

Also remember that Argentina is constantly having union strikes and protests from various different entities. Cutting traffic on major roads ("piquetes") is basically a way of life here, to the point where traffic reports include them along accidents and roadwork. Leave early just in case.

Aerolíneas Argentinas has gotten better about strikes, but the past month or so pilots have been pushing for better salaries so it's still a risk. If you can choose, LAN/LATAM is usually a safer choice.

Uber works down here. Drivers might ask you to sit up front due to a fear of cabbie retaliation (honestly more of a myth than anything else). There's other apps that work with official taxis, but most of them won't take credit card.

Remember that public transportation requires a SUBE card which you have to buy at different spots in the city but, annoyingly, you can't buy at subway stations even though you can charge them there.