Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
Hey everyone!

I've read this entire thread and it has got me so excited to go away on my trip. I've written down notes of places to go and festivals and clubs and hostels and man oh man, I'm going to lose my brain if I keep writing places down.

I've officially booked a 1 year trip to South America for June 11th, booked it about 4 hours ago and am going with me, myself, and a backpack. But mostly me.

This is the most inspiring thread I've read in a while and I'm hoping it doesn't stop there. I've never traveled alone before and never for more than a week or two weeks at a time. I'd consider the longest trip I've had was a drive to Disneyland in Anaheim for a few days and then back home to Canada again.

I've obviously never backpacked before, this will definitely be an adventure. There's a lot of information on backpacking on the web with a million pointers, but if anyone has some real quick solid advice for South America for a solo traveler and a backpack then I'm all for it.

I plan to go through just about every country on the continent, except Suriname and another one that required a tourist visa. My Brazil visa is on the way so hopefully that will arrive before I depart in 3 weeks.

The nice thing about a Canadian citizenship is most of the countries along the west coast of SA don't require a tourist visa, I can just fly right into Peru, which is exactly what I'm doing :) Starting in Lima!

If anyone is adventuring in South America right now please shoot me a message and we can meet up somewhere. I'm going away for so long that I have no time constraints whatsoever.

I figure I may as well do this as a skinny white 24 year old than a married 44 year old with kids and a mortgage, because it probably won't happen then. At least I don't see that happening but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
Hah thanks. I planned on doing this about 6 months ago but delayed due to work and school. I was originally just going to fly down and let each day come without planning anything, but then I started reading this thread and some other tourism sites and realized how many places I would have missed if I just went without having SOME kind of plan. It's just better to have a cool location written down in case I happen to be passing through it than completely miss it.

I only thought carnival was in Rio, I had no idea there was one in Salvador. I'll probably make my way over there at some point.

Right now I have a local buddy traveling from Rio to Buenos Aires, so we're going to try to meet up maybe in Bolivia or Cusco before doing Machu Picchu.

At least I won't be alone the whole trip.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
Well here's something. I was told by the consulate for Brazil that I'm unable to receive a visa because I'm flying into Peru first. I don't have anything booked (planes, buses) for the future that could take me into Brazil and this is what they want to see. They want to know how I'm getting into Brazil, whether it's by ground or air and what time I'll be doing and how long I'll be staying there.

The guy at the embassy that I talked to today promised me that I could get one in SA without a problem, he recommended doing it right in Lima after I land. Has anyone encountered this before and still got into the country without any problems?

I just heard that I could only apply from my home country. I would have preferred to have it done today but I guess if I can do it down there then it's not a big deal. I just don't want to sit in Lima for 2 weeks while I wait for the application to go through.

Now that I think about it I still have no idea when I'll actually be crossing over in Brazil, that's what makes this difficult. If they want the exact dates then I just don't have them. I won't know until I'm at the border more or less, then I'd have to travel to a city and sit there for 2 weeks and hope the application goes through. Either way I'm stuck somewhere by an embassy since I don't have a mailbox down there, lol.

masterfly fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 21, 2010

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

DustingDuvet posted:

You will have 90 days to enter Brazil after they issue the visa otherwise it expires. That's why you also need to show proof that you are entering and leaving the country which means you really need to plan out the Brazil part of your trip. You also need to buy the actual flight before you submit the visa application.

If you are applying from the U.S. you can only use the consulate assigned to your permanent address. While I know people can also get them abroad in places like Argentina it becomes much more complicated and will generally take more time. You may want to save Brazil for another trip for visa, cost, and since its such a huge country.

Thanks for the reply. I've literally planned the Brazil part more than anything. The amount of work involved in getting the visa is pretty ridiuclous. I'm going down for too long and missing it now wouldn't make any sense, I don't think I'll be able to afford this for years after this trip.

I'm applying from Canada but I'm not sure if the rules are any different. I've got all the proof other than "what time am I entering and what time am I leaving."
That's seriously the only reason the guy said he can't do it. I could book something now in advance to show proof, like a flight from Lima to Rio or obviously something cheaper and realistically if this gets me the visa then I don't see how it would be a bad idea.

Otherwise if the guy at the consulate today wasn't lying then I SHOULD be able to get one while I'm in Lima. Inka Lounge Hostel is right beside the embassy so I'll make my way over there after I land if I don't come up with something before I leave here.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

billy cuts posted:

When are you getting into Lima? I'm flying down later this afternoon and will be there the next few days. After that I'll be heading to the jungle for the next 3 months. If you're going to be around we should grab a beer or something.

I'm arriving on June 11th. Who knows where you'll be at that point. Are you traveling or staying in one general location?

Drop me a line and maybe I'll run into you someday.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

Hadlock posted:

but sunscreen was the one thing that was consistently more expensive there than back home

Thanks for the heads up. I was just going to buy some there but I'll probably bring my own now. I wasn't sure what to expect on prices in grocery stores and such so that was good info.

billy cuts posted:

I just got into Tarapoto, which is in the western upper Peruvian Amazon. I'll be here for a couple weeks, then off to Yurimaguas for the rest of the time I'm in Peru. Give me a call if you're in the region -- 042-942-61-0220.

If I land and find myself alone I'll definitely give you a call. I've got a meetup with a buddy in La Paz shortly after I land but he hasn't answered my email for over a week now so he's either having a good time or kidnapped and ground up for harvest. If I don't end up seeing him right away then I'll lounge around in Peru for a few weeks.

Tarapoto looks gorgeous, what did you end up paying for the bus ride there from Lima?

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
This is it guys. I leave tomorrow at 6am for my journey through SA to hopefully avoid being captured by black mambas (quote my dad), or sold on the black market.

Thanks for the help, this thread has a ton of good info. I'm going to try to run into any goons I can along the way, more frends plz :D

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
Iīve been in Lima for a few days now and itīs definitely time to head to Ica or somewhere. I did the sea lion tour off the naval port (recommended tour for only 35 dollars right at the dock on a little booth, just donīt be a hero and skip out on the sea sickness pill. Take the pill when she offers it.)

Iīve been eating in restaurants and quick food stops since I got here and I can safely say that my stomach isnīt handling the food that well. Iīve been taking a lot of dumps and pissing a lot. Is this normal for the first couple of weeks? I feel ok otherwise. On another note itīs been really difficult to bargain with cabs because I donīt speak any spanish, Iīve had my hostel setup the cab rides for me.

Right now Iīm in Miraflores and the traffic is still amazing to watch. Itīs total chaos.

Also silly cuts I wonīt be able to head north anymore. Iīm going to head south with someone I met at my hostel and also run into another friend along the way at some point. Iīll be heading back to Peru and Ecuador in the next 3 months though. I canīt afford to stay in a place like Brazil with my budget.

masterfly fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 16, 2010

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

Darw1N posted:

Thank you for all the great information in this thread. Flying out July 1st to Peru.

Flying into Lima>Cuzco>Aguas Calientes>Iquitos>Jungle

Any tips for picking my guide in Iquitos?

I'll try to contact you once I'm out there billy cuts.

Hey Darwin, Iīm currently in Cusco and am doing Machu Picchu soon but then will probably stay in Cusco for a while before heading off. After you get here let me know where youīre staying and weīll meet up for some beers and food. Itīs getting a little cold down here at night for my tastes so Iīm rethinking my trip and may head north after all.

Going north is unplanned and I canīt say for sure if Iīll do that but Iīll most likely still be in Cusco when you get here. Iīve found a neat place for 15 soles a night which I thought was pretty good considering the sun festival was this week.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
After digging through this thread I canīt find much info on northern Peru. I could have sworn there was a post with some info for things to do before hitting the jungle towns.

Would anyone be able to recommend me places to stop along the way to Mancora/Iquitos from Lima? I know they arenīt on the same path but Iīll be heading to Tarapoto and then Iquitos after Mancora and Iīd like to see any towns worth visiting along the way with ruins or hikes or anything else to look at.

I know thereīs stuff to do but for some reason the whole central of Peru above Lima doesnīt get talked about, itīs a mystery land for me, anything to fill the gap instead of taking a 16+ hour bus would be great.

masterfly fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2010

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
Would anyone be able to recommend any interesting train rides in Ecuador? Seeing as the one in Riobamba is gone, what else is there that's considered relatively exciting? Destinations can be anywhere, really. I've only seen Guayaquil and now I'm currently in Cuenca.

I've asked around and people don't seen to know anything. I haven't taken a train ride on this trip yet and I'm getting the itch!

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
Iīm not sure how much the news has spread of whatīs going on in Ecuador right now, specifically Quito with the police. Recently the president of Ecuador changed the way promotions are handled and the time that they are given to all police forces in the country. Police receive a bonus and an upgrade to their benefits every 5 years but after a recent change to 7 years and removal of some benefits there was suddenly enough of a reason to lash out against the government by going on strike. This shut down the banks, borders and airport for a day.

The strange thing is it wasnīt just a few areas or select cities that went on strike, it was the entire country. The short of the story is that the police revolted and immediately kidnapped President Correa by tear gassing his guards and everyone else while he was standing in the plaza. He was held hostage in the hospital by the police and the defense minister called the military shortly after. On CNN you could see shots being fired and innocent civilians dropping to the ground while the military ambushed the hospital. After several hours they rescued the president and brought him back safely to the palace. This just happened yesterday and the tension here is a little alarming.

The article can be read here http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/09/30/ecuador.unrest/

Today the police still loyal to Correa went back to work and the group that pulled this stunt are slowly being caught. I walked by an office today that was being raided by military with rebels being dragged outside. Wish I had my camera for that.

Hereīs a few shots I took on my camera today (day after kidnapping) and the military stands in the plaza blocking off everyone from entry.

I wouldnīt let this stop anyone from coming to visit Ecuador if they had plans. A lot of the police are still working and people are still walking around doing their daily lives pretending to ignore the issue. Restaurants were packed this evening and the clubs are full of salsa dancing as usual. Business is still business whether there are police or not. Itīs just a matter of how this situation gets resolved in the end because lets face it, this is the police weīre talking about here.

Sorry if these are breaking tables

masterfly fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 2, 2010

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

Pusscat posted:

Trains!

Thank you so much. Nobody knows anything about the trains in Ecuador and I think taking a train ride would be much more interesting and exciting to travel than bus bus bus. I guess the question of "Are there any trains in Ecuador?" sounds ridiculous but seriously, nobody knows anything that I ask. Iīll keep the link for future reference.

Falco posted:

I'm glad to hear you say that. My flight leaves LAX Thursday night/Friday morning and my family is freaking out right now. I was hoping if things were still crazy, I could get the flight changed to Costa Rica or Peru or something. But as of yesterday, neither the airlines or Orbitz wanted to get me a straight answer on what they would be willing to do.

I'm hoping things remain calm for a while, otherwise I'm going to have to figure something out.

Iīm still in Quito and honestly I wouldnīt worry about it. The whole situation itself is pretty bad but the streets are still packed of locals. I walked around for hours yesterday and we felt as safe as any other day. Seeing the military presence only adds to the excitement. Not that I want a death wish.

I know youīre hoping for things to remain calm and this is where I canīt give you an answer, it could go either way. Iīm staying in new Quito in a great little place called The Blue House. So peaceful over here. If youīre too worried maybe just come here, youīll probably enjoy it.

PlesantDilemma posted:

Are the police in Ecuador setup as one group for the whole country?

On CNN here each city was being reported one after another that the police were on strike, especially in Guayaquil. I donīt know if they are setup as a single group for the whole country but the whole thing almost seemed TOO planned. I think this was something they had been talking about for weeks or even months before actually doing it. How often does a president get kidnapped? Such a weird situation.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

DustingDuvet posted:

Colombia is personally my favorite country and Bogota is an excellent choice. Friendly people, decent nightlife, and lots of character. I have been there a ton of times and I know other Goons have also so let me know know if you have any questions. I'm actually going back in a few weeks to live there for the next 4 months :)

Have you planned on the week or the date that you'll be arriving into Bogota? I'm going to be heading into Colombia in about 2 - 3 weeks and spending time in Bogota for a while. I'll most likely stay there longer than I'm planning on paper just because of what I've heard from every single traveler that has been in the country. I could be there for 2 months pretty easily. Let me know what you have planned and we'll get a beer.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
I figured after all this time I could finally post some pictures of my trip. Maybe to inspire others considering coming to visit South America. This will be the start of more pictures that I'll post in the future, I'm just bad at getting pictures online in general because the speeds aren't that great here. I'm currently in Caracas, Venezuela and have booked a flight on a whim to Rio in Brazil. I leave in 3 days, CAN'T WAIT!

This is Plaza San Francisco in Quito, Ecuador. There's a hostel here for 3.50 dollars a night with private rooms that overlooks the plaza, cheapest place I stayed in in Ecuador other than Montanita, found another one there for 3 dollars.

Main plaza in Quito, presidential palace on the left. I arrived in Quito the exact day that the police went on strike and the president was kidnapped, exciting times.

Plaza in Bogota during Christmas

Same plaza at night with the lights turned on

Medellin, same shot that DD took from the bridge during Christmas

More lights in Medellin

Statues like these are everywhere, the artist is famous and has paintings in museums across Colombia and parts of Venezuela too.

Cartagena, one of my favorite cities in Colombia

Cartagena de Indias in Cartagena, incredible fortress that has tunnels you can walk through.

Sign hanging on the wall in the bathroom, love the translations

Valle de Cocora in Salento with massive palm trees

Sometimes my camera takes not so bad pictures

Me by a tree. It looked bigger in person at the time. It's a tree the Mayans used to hang bodies

Jumandy caves in Tena

Sunset over Quito from the Secret Garden

Doing some rapelling down waterfalls in Banos. This is 20 bucks for 6 hours, really good experience at least once.

Cotopaxi volcano in Ecuador

Climbing

on top, YEEEAAAHHH MADE IT!

passed out after the volcano

If you haven't been to South America, come see it! If any goons are coming to southern Brazil and Argentina let me know and we'll meet up somewhere. I'm bound for Argentina shortly after seeing Rio :)

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006
I think that was the most expensive hostel I stayed in on the whole trip, other than the few odd times I got stuck in hotels that arrived around 3am to a new city.

Banos has so many adventure activities for cheap, I eventually grew a pair of balls and did the bungee jump. For 12 dollars I couldn't say no. For canyoning the shoes sucked, I had rocks in there and they cut my feet after a while.

But Cotopaxi, that was incredible. The highlight of this trip by far, I couldn't believe the intensity and the excitement of that climb. Some people might have climbed it who will read this and say it wasn't THAT bad. SHUT UP! It WAS that bad. No groups had made it to the top for over 2 weeks because of daily snowstorms and avalanches. This was during the rain season which means snow season on the mountains. I knew I wanted to climb it when I first heard about how high it was and how it was an active volcano, I had to do it quick seeing as my visa in Ecuador expired a week later so I booked the tour on a whim.

The guide told me it was unlikely we would get to the top and I spoke with the group that had climbed the night before me, they told me they might have been 60m from the top before an avalanche started. They turned back and I was feeling pretty disappointed knowing we wouldn't get to the top.

I think we got really lucky, it was a clear sky all night and all morning. I almost passed out a few times and of the original 7 in my group only 2 of us made it to the top.

The gear was great, we had an hour of ice climbing practice for that one spot where we had to use picks near the top. After the 4th or 5th hour of climbing the guide told me if we kept a solid pace like this and no other weather conditions affect us then we'll most likely see the top. I'll never forget that climb, walking on the rim first with my guide and collapsing was a special moment.

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

duralict posted:

It's so clean! Is Colombia really on top of street cleanup or is Cartagena a special case?

VVV I suspected as much. My search for the one local neighborhood in Latin America that isn't buried in plastic bags much continue. VVV

The older part is always clean except for one district. It was especially clean that day because a cruise ship with 900 people from Canada arrived earlier. I would still say Colombia is much more on top of cleanup than the other places I went to. Peru wasn't great except the tourist areas, garbage for miles and miles in stacks in the north. Ecuador wasn't bad, but Venezuela.. Caracas is a joke, the cleanup crews here don't even try. Broken glass everywhere, water spewing out of sewage drains with chunks of food floating down the road. I won't generalize for all of Venezuela since I've only seen 3 cities in it but crossing the border from Colombia didn't leave much to the imagination.

masterfly fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

Drogadon posted:

Thanks, I was at Puerto Madero yesterday and it's cool. I spent all day monday wandering downtown and it was also great and we went to the bars in Palermo during the weekend. I'll put the cemetary on my list.

I guess I should elaborate on my request, I still have a lot of time here (leaving on the 21st) and my friend has some days off but the rest of the weekdays she will be working during the day, so I would appreciate suggestions of stuff to do during the day by myself (touristy and otherwise). I have no language issues because spanish is my first language.

Also a more concrete question, is it a good idea to go to La Bombonera alone? there's a game on sunday and my friend might not want to tag along (haven't asked her yet though).

Hey, I'm here right now. I just arrived 2 days ago and am staying at a hostel in San Telmo called ViaVia. It's a quiet place. Tomorrow I'm taking a day trip to Uruguay to a town called Colonia del Sacramento and then returning here to sleep in the same hostel.

Want to go see a soccer match or something? That was on my list of must do's while I'm in the area since I missed doing that in Brazil. I have a flight to Ushuaia in a couple of days but I'll be back before you leave, maybe we can arrange something.