Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
A friend and I were planning on doing the Western side of South America next summer, probably going Colombia-Peru-Bolivia-Chile. Would it be worth it to head over into Argentina? We're both very open to most activities and sights, it's just that we probably wouldn't have the time or funds to go somewhere far out like Iguazú. Anything moreso on the road to Buenos Aires we should make time for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

If I had two months of backpacking in Central America with Guatemala as a starting point, where would be some good places to go? I'm into doing pretty much anything I can.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Early 20s, comfortably proficient with Spanish, into history, beaches, ruins, wildlife, diving, partying and just hanging out/soaking the place up. Like I said, just about anything. I went to Roatan years ago and loved it, but that was at a fancy resort and if I did anything similar this time it would be the cheap way.

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 11, 2011

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Regardless of the route I end up following, that's still a great list and has given me a lot of places to think about. Thanks!

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Would 3.5 or 4 months (about May-August) be enough to get a good idea of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina? Obviously it's not a thorough look at each but will I be too rushed? Stuff can be shaved off if necessary. I'm into whatever cool poo poo + partying + adventure stuff I can find. I've lazily budgeted about 2 weeks for each country and a little more for Peru and Bolivia, is that a good plan?

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 23, 2012

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

Would 3.5 or 4 months (about May-August) be enough to get a good idea of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina? Obviously it's not a thorough look at each but will I be too rushed? Stuff can be shaved off if necessary. I'm into whatever cool poo poo + partying + adventure stuff I can find. I've lazily budgeted about 2 weeks for each country and a little more for Peru and Bolivia, is that a good plan?

Bump. Most of my posts in travel threads are purely hypothetical but I'll probably actually do this one :byodood:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd never really looked at and thought about how huge some of these distances are :shobon:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Anyone ever been to southern Chile in the (southern hemisphere) winter? Not Patagonia, just around the latitude of Puerto Varas, Pucón, Chiloé and those sorts of places. Will it be snowy or just lovely and wet? Is it still worth going?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

So it sounds like I've got 2 weeks in central and northern Chile next summer. How should I fill two weeks there? I'm thinking roughly 3 or 4 days in Santiago, 2 in Valparaiso, and 3 in San Pedro, what else could I do?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Anybody have any experience with the Peru-Ecuador border? I've heard it's dodgy and complicated and I'm wondering if I should just fly over.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

It'd probably be Lima to either Guayaquil or Quito. It sounds like I'll be fine if I pick a good bus company, though I guess that's true across the continent. Thanks for the advice!

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

So my friend and I are looking to do some hiking in Peru and Bolivia in the midst of a longer South America trip. Is it worth it to bring a small sleeping bag or will it be easy/cheap to sort that out once we get there?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I'm trying to plan the Peru portion of my SA trip but Peru, for whatever reason, is the one place I've never really looked into. My friend and I, two dudes in our early 20s who love hiking/partying, will have about 2 weeks there, give or take a few days (probably give). We'll be doing Cusco and Machu Picchu for sure, and depending on if we decide to do the Salkantay trek or just train it there that could be a week right there. It sounds like we could easily fill another with the areas around Arequipa or Huaraz, any recommendations?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

We'll be coming from Bolivia, probably in July. We'll have money to fly if we need to.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

So I'm gonna be in Texas next spring and since it's so cheap to fly from there I'm thinking of heading down to Latin America for a month or so if I can swing it. I'm pretty well-versed in what each country in South/Central America has going for it but if you experienced guys had a month to spend in one or maybe two countries, which would it be? I'm not going to have a ton of money and I'd like to stay away from places that are outrageously crowded and touristy, but it'll be in May and I love doing all the adventurous backpacker poo poo I can.

Right now I'm thinking of Colombia but I haven't chosen anything yet. Nicaragua maybe?

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 16, 2013

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

So I'm working out a 2 month plan for May and June. I'm thinking a month in Bolivia, a week or so in northern Chile (San Pedro and around) and the rest in northern-ish Argentina, Buenos Aires and Mendoza, maybe Rosario or Salta and Iguazú. Sound feasible? This will be autumn in Argentina so am I better off starting there to get the best of the weather?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

So I'm going to hopefully be going on an exchange soon to Latin America (for ~6 months) and I wanted some feedback. My first choice is to live in Santiago, as I'm really interested in Chilean history and culture, but I also know that Santiago is a gigantic ugly city for the most part. I'm also getting more interested in Mexico City, also a gigantic ugly city but one that sounds like it has a lot more charm and stuff going on, and I'm also looking at Querétaro in Mexico which just sounds like a nice place to live. Anyone who's lived in any of these want to help me out?

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

King Metal posted:

I live in Santiago, so you can hit me up if you have any questions. Santiago is a large city but its not a megacity like Mexico City. Also, I would not call Santiago ugly (depends on what you consider ugly though)

Of course now I've blanked on anything specific to ask. Is it a good place to live for six months? Will my experience be 'Chilean' enough? I know I'm close to Valparaiso and Mendoza for more touristy stuff but mainly I just want to know if Santiago is going to be an enjoyable place to base myself.

Also I've been to Tehran so anything prettier than that is fine by me.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

King Metal posted:

By 'Chilean' enough, you mean the "real chilean" culture? In Santiago, not so much. I think it's very US metropolitan (in the richer areas), but still quite Chilean. I think it's a good place to live, you can find any service you need and it's fairly quiet as far as big cities go. Santiago has quite a few nice bohemian areas, a never ending amount of restaurants, cafes and things to discover if you're into that. You can drive 30 minutes to the east and go skiing, hiking, white water rafting etc. Drive, or take a bus a bit to the west and you're at the beach.

Valaparaiso is it's own beast, a rough and uhh well worn town but I think it's great to visit, a lot of great art and night life. I've never been to Mendoza, or Argentina at all yet.

I would definitely suggest visiting the south too, like Pucon, Puerto Varas, Puerto Montt, Valdivia. They're much more Chilean to me. Chiloé also, if you can, which due to being disconnected from the main land kind of has it's own culture.

What kind of things are you looking to do or experience?

Sounds great, thanks for all the advice! Yeah, 'real' Chilean culture is what I meant - I have a thing for Chile but I wasn't sure whether or not living in a big city was going to put a wall between me and finding it.

I'm very open to doing most things, everything you mentioned sounds great to me and I've done tons of South America travel research. I'm just looking to get the most out of ny time there and to experience as much as I can of living in Chile and doing cool poo poo.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I'm moving to Chile next month for an exchange - my actual classes start in August but I'll be flying in around the middle of July and travelling for a couple of weeks. What's a good way to fill those two weeks without trying to do too much? I'm thinking about Buenos Aires + Iguazu and maybe something else (Rio?), I know most of Chile is going to be rainy and lovely and I don't want to speedrun Bolivia. Anywhere semi-nearby that I'm overlooking?

I'm going to be living in Santiago until December so anywhere especially close (Mendoza etc.) is readily doable during the regular months.

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 9, 2015

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Well maybe 2 weeks in Bolivia wouldn't be outrageous then? 4 easy days in La Paz, 3 at Titicaca, 3 or 4 around Uyuni and the rest in San Pedro before flying down to Santiago.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I'm gonna be heading up to San Pedro de Atacama in a couple of weeks and I keep hearing about how great the stargazing is - do I have to take a tour or can I just walk a few minutes outside of town and still be impressed?

Also, as far as getting in from Calama, is the best option to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station and then a bus to San Pedro? I'm flying in from Santiago.

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 18, 2015

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

King Metal posted:

You don't even need to go out of the town, unless you're going to do photography. There's tours that take you out of the town at night to some popular spots, and there's an observatory on the outskirts, around some of the hotels.

It's cold at night, and it's high altitude, so bring appropriate clothes.

It was still beautiful but I was there during a full moon :argh:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I felt 2 yesterday in Santiago (Providencia), but neither lasted more than a few seconds. The one at 4 in the morning was a really weird way to wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Can anybody sell me on Viña del Mar? I'm going to head to Valparaíso for a long weekend and I feel like I should spend at least a day exploring Viña, but it's never jumped out at me as a place to visit compared to Valpo.