Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I tried to book a ticket for an ADO bus in Mexico using their website, but it seems they don't accept foreign cards (I have a UK MasterCard). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to book a ticket? It's for a long overnight trip and is the last one that day so I really need to get it in advance. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

hbf posted:

Have you also tried ticketbus.com.mx? Same company, but maybe different rules.

Really though, I don't think you will have a problem unless you were arriving in Mexico right before the bus departure time and it is a super popular route on a holiday. If you are in Mexico at all before should be able to go to a station (or oxxo store) and buy a ticket for the one you need in advance. I took ado/other buses all over Mexico and never had a problem showing up at the station and buying a ticket, sometimes minutes before departure. What route are you trying to get?

Also be aware that ADO buses run some serious AC. Downright cold at night.

I think that's what we'll do, thanks. We are flying into Cancun and several days later are planning to get an overnight bus from Merida to Palenque, I wanted to get a ticket since we can't really miss that bus due to hotel bookings etc. I suppose I will try and get a ticket once I land, I assume there will be a ticket office at the airport, or I can get one in town. Thanks for the info about the AC!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Was in Mexico for the past couple of weeks and I left my wallet in a taxi in Merida. I found the taxi driver and he said he saw a woman pick it up when he dropped her at a hospital; we went back to look for her but no luck.

Just returned to the UK and checked my work emails, and someone found it! A nurse from Belize went to Merida on a trip, found it, and saw my business card, so passed it to a colleague who then emailed me. It's now in a clinic in Belize.

It's nice to know there are decent people out there!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

You'll be absolutely fine. I was in Mexico recently and met plenty of female solo travellers. One went from Chetumal to some really remote ruins in the jungle for several days and had no problems. It'll be no problem for you going to touristy places like Playa and Tulum.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

If you do manage to see any ruins in Mexico I would say go to Palenque and also from there do a day trip to Yaxchilan. I spent two weeks in the Yucatan and Chiapas and it was the highlight. Uxmal was nice, but not as cool as the others. I wasn't a fan of the Tulum ruins, especially after Palenque/Yaxchilan.

Would have liked to have seen more of San Cristobal but I got hospitalised for some gastrointestinal problems.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just booked flights for 2 weeks in Chile this November, super excited. Managed to get a good deal with Iberia (£550 return from London). Our exact route is to be decided but I'm thinking we'll head straight up to the Atacama, after that down south to the mountains. Is Santiago worth any time? We were thinking of just a couple of nights there before our return flight. We are most interested in the landscapes and outdoors but do like cities if they have some charm to them or if there's lots going on. For example we weren't too keen on Panama City, apart from Casco Viejo, and feel that a couple of days was enough time there.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

Santiago is not, but Valparaiso is.
You should be aware that San Pedro de Atacama is preeetttyy far from Santiago/Valpo and that is a good long way to back-and-forth when you only have two weeks. Really, I would just go South

By plane it doesn't look too bad, only a couple of hours? There's a flight to Calama later in the day when we arrive. The flight down south looks a bit longer but still OK. Valpo looks awesome though, if it's only a 90 minute bus (from what I can see online) we might just skip Santiago altogether and stay there instead before our flight home.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I like to travel lightweight so my compact camera and my iPhone 5s are the only electronics I take. I've never needed a tablet or laptop, smart phones these days are pretty great.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone had any problems booking flights in Chile through SkyAirlines online? Am trying to book flights from Calama to Santiago but I get to the page where I choose my ticket and it says:

"Dear passenger, we can’t attend your request for the moment. Please try again later."

It's been doing this for a while.

Searching through Kayak brings up several booking sites (Opodo, eDreams etc) that offer the same flight for cheaper, but I'm wary of using those. Does anyone have any experience with them booking such flights?

Edit: After some more investigation it looks like Sky don't allow single fares to be booked through their website. If I put in a Calama-Santiago return it lets me proceed without problems. Even stranger is that the single fare is more expensive ($121) than the return fare ($45 + $24). I guess I'll just book a return and not turn up for the second flight.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 5, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

huhu posted:

I don't see a Mexico thread, so I figure this should go here. I'm crossing the border into Mexico from Guatemala on Thursday and am planning on flying out of Cancun on the 6th. Here is my rough plan, anything I'm missing or should include? I'm planning on returning at a later date to do Central Mexico.

(Days include side trips to surrounding areas)
3 Days in San Cristobal
2 days in Palenque
3 Days in Campeche
7 Days in Merida (Day of the dead and a day trip to Chichen Itza)
2 Days in Cancun

This plan leaves me with roughly 5 days I'm not sure what to do with

7 days seems like a long time in Merida; I would suggest longer in Palenque and San Cristobal. Since I went to Palenque and Yaxchilan I skipped Chichen Itza, and don't regret it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I didn't go to Costa Rica, just Panama, but from what I've heard they are quite similar except that Panama is cheaper. There's lots of active sports, wildlife, beaches, cloud forests, etc. I had a great time going to coffee plantations, rafting, ziplining, horse riding, dolphin watching. I also wanted to see the Panama Canal which is one reason I went there over Costa Rica.

I don't know details of San Blas but heard from various travellers it was great and easy enough to do.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 22, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Saladman posted:

I might have asked this before and forgotten the answer, but is there any reasonable way to buy one-way international flights in South America, particularly Peru and Colombia, e.g. Lima to Bogota? Like a one-way flight from Cusco to Lima is exactly half the cost of a two-way ($150/$300), but a flight from Lima to Bogota is $583 one-way or $237 two-way ???

I don't know about those countries but in Chile a single from Calama to Santiago was more expensive than a return, so I just booked a return and won't turn up for the second flight.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I haven't been to Peru but when I was in Chile recently, Peruvian food was everywhere and it was really tasty. It seems like food would be a highlight of the country.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I need to re-phrase my question.

1. Does anyone know where exactly the ADO ticket booth is in the Cancun airport?
2. Do they let you buy tickets from any destination to any destination? (not just tickets from the airport to wherever)

I'm looking to buying tickets in advance and would like to get it all done at the airport.

I flew into cancun a few years ago and the booth was right outside the checked baggage, I can't remember which terminal I was at. I am almost positive I bought other advance tickets there; I got my tickets to cancun itself and then some tickets onto Merida I believe for several days later.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Actually I've got a question for this thread. Am going to Argentina on honeymoon in November for three weeks and was thinking of the following route. We'd fly from place to place to save on time and because we are done with long-haul buses.

We like interesting cities (history, architecture, food, walking) and nature/wildlife/landscapes so would the following be reasonable in three weeks? Don't want to rush around too much.

Several days in BA and day trip to Montevideo
Mendoza
Bariloche
El Chalten
El Calafate
Ushuaia
Back to BA before flying home

We went to north chile last year but didn't have time to make it to Patagonia so we're really keen to see mountains and national parks and such. We also heard good things about iguazu falls and Tigre/parana delta but I thought they might eat into our time; the falls in particular seem like quite a detour.

Any input appreciated!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks all, that's given me a lot to think about. Even though we have three weeks there (normally only get two weeks at a time for holidays) there's so much to see and I'm likely going to have to cut some places off the itinerary, maybe Mendoza so that we have time to see Iguazu. Budget isn't too much of an issue, since it's our honeymoon we're going to travel in comfort and fly wherever possible. That said, air fares in Argentina do look quite steep!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks all for the earlier advice on Argentina. Have decided to skip Mendoza and Bariloche as we'll be doing lots of hiking in El Chalten and Ushuaia. Also decided to keep Iguaza on the itinerary. Does this look doable? We'll be flying between places.

BA - 4 nights
Iguazu - 2 nights
Puerto Madryn - 3 nights
El Chalten - 3 nights
El Calafate - 3 nights (might drop one of these and spend longer in El Chalten)
Ushuaia - 3 nights
BA - 1 night before flying home

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Unfortunately I found the food in Chile, particularly in the north, to not be that great.

You mentioned stargazing, if you're into astronomy then book a visit to the ALMA radio telescope array. It's free but you have to book ahead, they shuttle you from San Pedro. The visit is in the daytime so you won't see any stars but it's really cool if you're into telescopes and such.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Ok after advice given here I've decided to go to fewer places (i.e. not Puerto Madryn) on my three week trip to Argentina. Currently the plan is

5 nights BA
2 nights Iguazu (actually doing this after three nights in BA, then back to BA for two nights, due to flights)
5 nights El Chalten
2 nights El Calafate
4 nights Ushuaia
2 nights in an estancia near BA before flight home

That gives us some leeway in case of travel delays/cancellations, plus more time in each place - thinking of doing a few day trips from BA for example.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 19, 2017

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

Wife and I are going to Chile next month!

Itinerary is Basically Santiago (1 day) > Valparaiso (1 day) > Casablanca Valley Wineries + Santiago again (1 day) and then flying south to hike The W Trail at Torres Del Paine.

Any particular must do things in either Santiago or Valparaiso?

I did a good walking tour of Valparaiso - the guide told us the history behind lots of the graffiti.

The Museum of Memory and Human Rights was a memorable part of my time in Santiago. I was interested in that part of history before I went to Chile, but I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't know about the various US-backed dictators in South America.

Wandering around the town centre and also the cemetery was interesting.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone ever got a SIM card in Argentina? Going for three weeks in November - I can use my data in a lot of countries but not there without paying a ton.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Any comments on Santiago vs. Buenos Aires? I like urban environments, but am also looking to go on some tours, either overnight or multi-day. Also if I'm in BA is it worth going over to Montevideo for a day? As for Chile, I heard Valparaiso is very nice to visit as well.

I was initially looking at some Argentine tours, some of which involved bus rides - are those actually comfortable? What are they like? It's a long time to be on a bus.

I liked Santiago, mainly because of the history, but I would say BA is more varied in terms of its neighbourhoods and has more to do. I was there recently and stayed in three different areas (the busy centre, the posh part, and the trendy part) and enjoyed it all. How long are you there for? I had about 6 days total in BA and didn’t take any day trips out as I found enough to do.

Valparaiso is nice but it’s quite small - I went as I was nearby anyway but it’s not the kind of place I would go out of my way to visit.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How's this for a rough Peru itinerary? Am there for first two weeks of September:

1: land in Lima in evening, stay in Miraflores
2: spend day in Lima, get over jet lag and eat awesome food
3: fly to Cusco, spend day acclimatizing
4: see sights in Cusco town and maybe nearby
5: Sacred Valley day trip
6: day trip to rainbow mountain
7: train to Aguas alientes, stay overnight here
8: bus to Huayna + MP, train direct back to Cusco in evening
9: fly to Arequipa, hang out in town
10: Colca canyon trip, stay in canyon
11: finish canyon trip, stay back in Arequipa
12: ??
13: ??
14: head back to Lima in evening
15: most of day in Lima before flight back to London in the evening

Not sure if I've got enough time in each place - if I have, I've still got two days left to fill. Not so bothered by lake Titicaca (I heard it's just a lake...) or a trip to the Amazon.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone been to Huacachina in Peru? I’ve got a spare 2 days/1 night while in Lima and was thinking of taking the bus there, doing the whole sandboarding thing (and maybe some astrophotography on the dunes), and then the next day a Nazca lines flight before heading back to Lima in the evening.

It looks like Peru Hop are the only company who go direct to Huacachina, and they do a combined ticket with all the above.

That itinerary however has a lot of bus travel - I was thinking instead of doing a Nazca flight from Ica rather than Nazca itself; even though it’s more expensive it avoids the entire day getting driving to Nazca, back to Huacachina, and then back to Lima.

Has anyone else done this? I don’t want to book the flights in advance as I reckon it’ll be much cheaper when I get there, but can only find a few mentions of flights from Ica online. So I’m not sure how easy it is to rock up to Huacachina and book a flight that way when it seems basically all the tourist trade operates flights from Nazca.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

svenkatesh posted:

Thanks to everyone in the thread who had advice about Peru - I just returned yesterday and had an amazing two weeks (really wish I had more time to spend there).

Does anyone have recommendations on places worth visiting over a long weekend? i.e. is it worth going to Cuba on a Fri-Sun schedule?

What did you do in Peru? I’m going there for two weeks later in the year.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Did anyone else hear about the two tourists dying at Huacachina? Just got an email from PeruHop about it - apparently the government has now banned all buggy tours of the dunes. PeruHop are saying it was an untrained shady tour operator’s fault.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My wife and I spent two nights at Iguazu. It was a little rushed on day 1 but doable:

Day 1: early flight from BA, drop bags at hotel, taxi across border to Brazilian side (don’t need visa if you’re from UK), spend a few hours at falls, go to bird park if time. Our hotel got someone to take us across and pick us up later, it’s a super quick drive
Day 2: all day at Argentine side
Day 3: fly out

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I liked Santiago, not the most amazing place but I found it quite pleasant. When I went the weather was nice and I had good food. I was really interested in history so had a good tour and also visited the museum about the Pinochet era. Agree that BA is a much more interesting city though.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

We are ending up not doing the Trail and making it into a day trip but that's fine. I'd love to hear a trip report

We didn’t do the MP trail but really enjoyed it nonetheless. We ended up spending longer in Cusco and did lots of day trips around the area - there are loads of tour operators but they don’t give you enough time at the various ruins. For example we had a really enjoyable time making our own way to Pisac and then exploring the site at leisure.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If your in decent shape you can do either. Huayna Picchu is not so much hard as just loving unsafe. I’m honestly surprised they don’t get more accidents up there.

Apparently it’s safer than it used to be. Met a guy climbing it up who first went up it 20 years before - back then no hand rail or anything.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Hadlock posted:

There's a hand rail now?

I remember scrambling up a fractured jade looking gravel semi cliff just back in 2008/9. Everyone coming down had at least one scuffed knee or broken skin on their elbow or something.

Edit: I'm thinking about the mountain on the other side of the "saddle"

I forget which one is which, but I climbed the one you see in all the classic photos. I think it’s Huanya. They’ve bolted a cable-type thing into the side of some of the steeper sections - it helps to keep your balance but it’s in the mountain-side, there’s no actual rail to protect you from going over the edge.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I’d kind of agree about Ushuaia. The town itself isn’t that nice but then we stayed at Arakur up on the hill as a honeymoon treat which was great. We found the national park pleasant enough but agree that hiking around El Chalten was far better. We went in November and even then it got really cold and snowy a few times in Ushuaia so I imagine it’d be bitterly cold in winter. A couple of days in El Chalten it was also quite cold, and even in November the lake at Fitz Roy was frozen. If I could go back and change what we did I’d spend longer around El Chalten and El Calafate, I really liked them.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Iguazu Falls is amazing. If you go, make sure you go to both the Brazilian and Argentine sides.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I felt pretty rough with altitude sickness in Cusco after a day or so, we spent about 4 days there and I’m glad we did - did some day trips to lower down in the valley which really helped. There’s actually a lot to do in the surrounding area, some great ruins and such, so I wouldn’t just consider it a stopover location on the way to Machu Picchu, especially if you’re on an extended trip to the region. You can get private shuttles / tours to a bunch of places, but we really enjoyed getting local buses, it was much cheaper and you can follow your own schedule.

If you want a warmup hike for Machu Picchu, this guy goes on one direct from Cusco. I like his videos. There’s a guide at the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/iZZCst-1BWE

Food is great in Cusco too.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Went to MP in September 2018, got there before sunrise and I managed to get some really nice photos with basically no one in them, that I could easily edit out. By the time we made it down from the higher mountain viewpoint, the whole place was heaving and we got out of there. The cool and quiet of the early morning was lovely but it was a hot heaving mess at 11am. So YMMV.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

The Aguamoose posted:

Overall so far we've had a great time!

Sounds like a great trip, making me nostalgic for my travels. Perito merino is great, I don’t know if you’ve booked the ‘short’ or ‘long’ trek on the glacier but the short was great, it felt like sufficient time on the glacier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

We did the overnight trip to Huacachina, and that was a lot of driving. I don’t think the Paracas stop was worth it, unless you’re really into seabird colonies. The nasca line was interesting but it’s only a glimpse from far away from the boat.

It seems PeruHop organise Nasca flights from Huacachina as part of the overnight trip so that could be an option if you’ve the time.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 2, 2023