Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Cross posting from the regional discussion board because durr.

I'm flying into Buenos Aires at the start of April to tour around South America for about 10 months. My main aims are to see poo poo, ignore work emails, ski, learn some Spanish (zero effective skills atm) and not get hurt and/or deported. I like mountains and biology more than massive nightclubs and crowded cities (but drink far to much in pubs and bars). I plan to head south and do the horn for a month or so and then head up and meet an equally clueless friend in Mendoza. I'll have about $22k US when I hit BA for the 10 months, should that be enough?

I've got a few annoyingly specific questions, sorry if they've been answered or are retarded.

1) I'm meeting a friend in Mendoza on 5th May, so I have a month to do from BA to Ushuaia, and then up to Bariloche (and bus to Mendoza), including Arg and Chile. Is that enough time to do the east coast and Patagonia up to Bari?

2)After Mendoza I have a month before the snow starts and will spend a month doing the area between Mendoza/Santiago and south to Bariloche, including Arg and Chile (mid may to mid june). Is that enough time?

3)Spend 2 months from mid June to mid August in Bariloche skiing, learning Spanish all the other cool stuff that seems to exist there. I Think it's going to cost about $5000k inclusive for the two months (accom (hostel), food, drink, lessons, ski pass and gear). Does that sound right? Has anyone studied at the schools there?

After that I'll head north to Paraguay-Bolivia-Peru etc, but I'm more worried about the timing in the first five months.

Reading this thread has really helped, cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Everyone seems to be in Bolivia at the moment, any goons in La Paz?

Has anyone heard anything about the Darian gap recently? I'd love to hike it (with a bunch of people and/or a guide) but I'm not so keen on getting my leg blown off by a homemade landmine or shot so...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Macunaima posted:

Have you figured out how you'll be getting from Central to South America? The Pan-American doesn't cross the Darien Gap, between Panama and Colombia, and there are no other roads either. Unless you fly from Panama to Colombia, it will take you close to a week to get from Panama City to Cartagena or Medellin via the Caribbean coast. That crossing is a true adventure - I did it last year, coming up from Colombia - and I highly recommend it. Colombia is probably the most underrated destination in Latin America.

I'll be doing this later this year, can you give me the low down?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cheers.

I'm actually heading north but have terrible reading comprehnsion, my stupid. I assume I can do the opposite just as easily? I'm on a tight budget but can't take any airplanes (one of the stupid rules I gave myself for he trip). The sailboat option sounds awesome, gently caress skipper awesome I want to set sail with Capt. Crackpipe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tyro posted:

I'm going to have about 5-6 days in Argentina. I want to spend 1-2 in Bs.A then hit Patagonia - I realize this will give me only a day or two to explore so I want to make the most of it. Due to the time constraints I'll be flying.

I'm not sure which city to base out of in Patagonia, Bariloche is closest, Ushuaia looks freaking awesome, but I am really tempted by the glaciers in Calafate and Chalten. I'm mostly interested in day hikes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Argentinian Patagonia?

I don't want to poo poo on your parade, but 5-6 days is barely enough for BA, much less Patagonia. For the amount it'd cost you I'd hardly think it's worth it. Seriosly save up some more capital and time and do a few weeks.

But if your set on it I'd go down to el calefate or el chaltan. If you've never seen a
glaciar before that is one huge piece of ice, and you can watch bits of it fall off etc etc. Then you'd have to fly back to ba. Getting to the other town which has cerro fitzroy and then doing a hike would probably take another day and a half. So I dunno, pretty dificult.

If I could only go to one place in Patagonia it would be torres del Paine nat park, but the trek (W or circut) takes at leat 3 days pls prep and poo poo. But if I had just the one day i'd do the big gently caress off glacier.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

pitchblende posted:

I had 17 days in Argentina and I knew I didn't have enough time to do Patagonia and BA right. So I did BA, Mendoza, Cordoba and Rosario and I think I did them pretty good. When I go back, I'll do Patagonia and probably save at least two weeks. I'll probably go back a third time and do the North.

If you pretend these are peoples names it sounds like the most efficent sex tour ever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Stupid I pod and crappy hostel wifi.

A friend and I are in BA, heading to Uruguay and up the coast to brazil. We have about 1 week in Ug before we hit Chuy and i think we have that sorted (mostly camping and beaches, Cabo Polonia etc). After Chuy we're a little stuck. We want to get up to florinopolis and spend a week there before heading to foz de iguazu, then ill be heading to Paraguay. Do you guys know of much to do between chuy and porto algere? It looks pretty cool on the map with the lagoon and that but not much in the way of infrastructure and I'm not keen on being raped by beach hobos or whatever lives there.

Also is there anything in the south of brazil that is must see (aside from all the water falling and sao Paulo)?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hadlock posted:

protip: don't do 12+ hour bus rides in south america.

Cheers, well definatly give it a shot.

My favorite so far has been Santa Cruz to Asuncion. 36 hours including 16 hours waiting at the border and not bein let through due to protesters (yeah, now I realy give a crap about your plight), then waiting around for a few hours and then taking dusty as crap back roads. All in 40C heat and no
aircon. Other highlights included a mosquito ridden drug checkpoint and the Bolivian border guard contemplating detaining me before stating very plainly "No regresas a Bolivia.. No, no tu regressar".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hot Jam posted:

Is there another name for this trail? I am trying to look up info for it but searching "Machu Picchu Mountain" just gets me information on Machu Picchu proper. I would definitely like to do one or the other as I really want to get away from all the tourists and get a better view.

I did MP twice in august last year, doing MP mountain the first time and WP the second. You have to pay to do MP mountain as well as WP now. MPM is slightly cheaper. Both are kinda hard physically but not going to kill you. MPM is harder as it is way higher, it also seems to have less people. If you do WP be sure to get down the the bottom (cave of the jaguar or something). It's a bastard of a hike (all steps up and down) but if you treked in it's fine.

Try go do it in the morning (you have to choose the time you go) as it'll be cooler and you'll have more time to do that and other stuff. Like take a photo at the right spot so you can have the same facebook profile as 80% of everyone who goes to Peru, I hate that photo. If you walk up from aguas calientes (5am or so) you can be the first one in the gate, beating the wimpy bus takers gives you a very great smug feeling.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The only places I've ever had things stolen in over three years of travel is in Santiago and Lisboa (Portugal). Be paranoid, never trust anyone. Which then blocks you out of a lot of amazing experiences... you can't win.

On the Brasilian visa thing. If you're in Encarnacion, Paraguay (which USA, Aussie etc people need a visa for anyway) on the other side of the border from Posadas, Argentina you can get your Brasilian visa done in about 3 hours at the consulate there.

I walked in with all my documentation, and was asked 'where's your application?' which i didn't have because there was no 'Visa for Australians in Paraguay' form. I started to freak out because I needed it within three days and was expecting a world of pain going by what other people have said. The guy just shrugged and pointed me to a computer. I filled the form right there, and he took my photo and a random bit of paper from me just for the look of it. By the time I got back from the ATM (they want crisp high value local cash) it was done. No worries. Just be as nice and pathetic as possible.

I'm living in Bogota, Colombia at the moment, are there any must sees down here that you guys can reccomend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We all want get out of Lima...

I'm trying to fly from Lima to Bogota just after new years (4th or so) and seem to be getting screwed on price, I can't find anything less than $700. Are there any any decent lines that don't show up on kayak?

Busing would take about 2-3 days and I'm seriously considering it..