Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Has anyone here done any cave exploration in Central America? What if anything can you share about it?

I'm a novice in terms of caving, having done a few guided explorations in the Northeast, but from what little I've read Guatemala and Belize have some amazing cave complexes. Waterfalls, Mayan burial/ritual sites, sounds like there's a ton to see.

In general, even if the verdict is that the support on cave exploration in Central America is not good for someone who's not an experienced caver, what suggestions do you have for experiencing the ruins? I'm planning a ~2 week trip, probably in Feb/March and have always been fascinated by the Maya. I enjoy more of your "off the beaten path" type of stuff than sitting in a bus being shuttled to and from resort to ruin. Not that AC isn't nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
So I'm going to be in Guatemala from the 14th of Dec till ~21. Staying in Tikal till the 16th. Is it worth the time to make it down to Guatemala City? Looks like a pretty long bus ride. Alternately, what should I check out in Flores if I decide to stay up the in the northern area?