Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dontpanic
Aug 17, 2004
you do it to yourself

ZombieJesus posted:

- Is Buenos Aires a good starting point, considering I want to be somewhere that will keep me entertained for a month or two while I do Spanish courses?

I'm a native English speaker, and I don't think you'll have any problems learning Spanish in Argentina and then visiting other countries. The difference isn't nearly as big as people are making it out to be. Apart from the language issue, Buenos Aires itself is great.

quote:

- Is it possible to immerse myself in the language to a degree where I'll be able to speak it enough to get by throughout SA (minus Brazil of course) in such a short time? (on a related note, does anyone know of good total immersion language courses in BA?)

Starting from scratch, I'd guess that you'll be at an intermediate level after a few months. Look up ECELA if you want a good language school in BA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dontpanic
Aug 17, 2004
you do it to yourself
If it helps your planning, I think 2 days is enough for Iguazu. The bus from there to Buenos Aires is overnight.

quote:

I have traveled in Ecuador for 2 1/2 months, Colombia for 1 month, and Bolivia for 1 1/2 months so let me know if you have any questions about backpacking in those countries.

Were you ever worried about your bus driving off a cliff? Apparently it's relatively common in the Andes.

dontpanic
Aug 17, 2004
you do it to yourself

DustingDuvet posted:

I often see crosses with a few flowers on the sides of the highways that show where people died. What seems to be more dangerous is that the roads from city to city consist of two lanes (one going in each direction). Many bus drivers will try to pass slow vehicles by driving into opposing traffic which has made for many very close calls where we almost collided head on.

Its far worse in Bolivia or Peru though. When i get home in a few months iŽll post some videos of what the highway driving is like since there are sharp curves every 5-10 seconds on many roads.

Is that just something you have to deal with if you visit Bolivia or Peru?

dontpanic
Aug 17, 2004
you do it to yourself

KosherNostra posted:

Just Bolivia. Bolivia and Brasil are the only countries in South America I believe charge U.S. passport holders a reciprocity fee.

Hola mafioso, what I meant was is it possible to avoid dangerous mountain roads in Peru and Bolivia? It's good to know about the visa fee though.