Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm going to be cycling through Central and South America and was wondering what people recommended in terms of phone service. I'll be carrying an old quad band phone with me. Is it really worth buying a SIM in every country? If not does anyone have any suggestions for SIM cards that work in the region?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Ribsauce posted:

It seems to be pretty universally agreed on Guatemala has the best spanish schools, as well as the most inexpensive. I am not sure your plans, but why would you start in Leon for your trip? It is in the middle so you cannot just head in one direction. I only did 3 weeks of school, I can get through the necessities of travel now and hold a basic conversation, but advanced is out of the question. My spanish was close to non existent prior. Also, it did not help I only heard English in El Salvador (btw my favorite place so far, most people skip it). I did a hotel the first week then a homestay for 2 weeks. The homestay was cool except I was sick for a week of it.

If you know the basics, 3 weeks with a homestay will probably get you started right, as long as you talk to your family and locals.

What kind of prices are you looking at for school there? Is Guatemala a safe place to live? I'm currently up in Vancouver having cycled for 4 months and when I get down to Central America was thinking of stopping for 6-12 months to teach English and study Spanish for my travel through Central & South America. Some people I've spoken to have recommended Costa Rica, I'm open to any suggestions and haven't really done much research yet.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm going to cycle through Central & South America over the next couple of years and having to buy bottled water constantly sounds like it will get How is the drinking water in general? I know it's a huge area and if it helps answer I'll probably be starting in Baja California and heading south.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How is free wifi access across central America? I've spent the previous 8 months cycling round the US where places like McDonald's are everywhere and so I can always get online. I'll be heading down into Mexico through Baja in March/April and so wondering how things will be there.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Macunaima posted:

Southern Mexico and Mexico City are fine.

It was on my bicycle, but I've just ridden from Tijuana -> La Paz, taken the boat across to Topolobampo and then down through Culiacan to Mazatlan, up to Durango and through Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, Guanajuato to DF... had no problems at all.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

r0ck0 posted:

I want to visit Costa Rica. How safe is it for blue eyed, blonde hair gringo who speaks no Spanish? Can I rent a car and get around safely from hotel to the beach, jungle preserves? This will be my first trip out of the country, will I need to get vaccinated and if I plan on renting a car an international drivers license? Anything else I should know? thanks

That's what Costa Rica is filled with so you'll fit right in. I passed through there back in July for 3 weeks and met more gringos, as you put it, than I've met in my last 18 months in Latin America.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Anyone ever toured on a bicycle in this part of the world? I leave Texas in a week or two and will head south until I run out of money. I'll be hitting up rural areas and small towns, no big cities until I reach South America most likely. I'd love any tips, help, traveling companions, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, I started acquiring equipment and physically training back in April. The route itself is fairly unplanned, as it probably should be. Sticking to paved roads, with local maps and GPS. Lots of water storage and USB/solar gadgets. I'm ready physically, and I've done things equally as stupid. The biggest advice I've seen is to get off the road in Mexico by sunset, not for crime but for drunk drivers.

Oh! One specific question I had was about my Blackberry. I bought it off the street in Nigeria, so I assume it's unlocked. When I got back to the US recently, they wouldn't let me just buy a SIM card and sign up with a plan of my choosing. Can I still do this in Latin America? I loved Nigeria's pay-as-you-go system of credit that worked for both talk and texts.

Yup! That's what I'm doing now. Currently in Venezuela.

Basic tips, learn some Spanish if you don't speak it, sign up for Warmshowers & Couchsurfing, carry a tent and ask at police stations/fire stations/churches/whoever to throw it up. I've not carried more than 3L on my bike during the past about 30,000 miles although I do have a small bag that can hold 10L that's been folded up at the bottom of a pannier for the last 2 and a bit years.

My blog is https://www.onebikeoneworld.com so feel free to contact me through that if you've got more specific questions.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

gently caress, you sound like me. I have a 10L dromedary bag that I'm iffy on bringing, and my camping/warmshowers/firestation plan sounds identical to what you've done. Good to know I'm not entirely insane. My spanish is okay, much better written than spoken.

You'll pick up the Spanish on the road. I'd never studied it but was doing OK, then spent 5 months at UNAM in Mexico City and now outside of being in a loud party with lots of people chatting together at the same time there's no time I can't hold my own.

My 10L bag is so small that there's little reason not to carry it. I assume yours is too!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Should be fine. I'd focus on studying some Spanish before you go, the Michel Thomas CDs are spectacular and I'd definitely give them a go to get a grasp of the grammar. Then you just need to fill in the vocab holes, grab Anki for that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Yeah I’m going to try and get a bit of Spanish down before hand, I’ll look into the Michel Thomas CDs. I’ve done a bit of Duolingo which seems good so far.

I do like the sound of cycling, but wasn't sure how dangerous the roads round there are for cyclists, and it does mean you’ve got to look after a bicycle, which could be a hassle /reduce your flexibility.

A bicycle from Guatemala might get you to Colombia in 4 months if you're fairly fit and seeing a bit of stuff, you wouldn't get the whole way without rushing and basically spending all day sat on a bike which is less fun than it sounds, especially if you hit rainy season or a headwind that lasts for the last 2,500km like this one I've been having fun with has.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

I've been keeping the slowest pace imaginable (plenty of injuries, sicknesses and lazy time) and I've gotten 2200km south of Ausitn, TX in about six weeks. I'm planning to do Guatemala City to Cartagena in about two months maximum, since there isn't a lot to see. Gonna take my time in Colombia and Venezuela, though.

I guess. If you've never been to Guatemala before then places like Xela, Antigua, Tikal, Huehue and Atitlan can easily take 2-3 weeks to enjoy and ride to and from. In Salvador I was in Santa Ana for a few days, San Salvador for a few more. Honduras has a beautiful mountain road that goes from Santa Rosa via Gracias. Nicaragua has Leon and Granada as well as Ometepe and some nice beaches, and a lot of off the beaten path options. If you've got the money Costa Rica can take a few weeks. The Caribbean side of Panama is more interesting than the Pacific, and Bocas del Toro is a cool place to hang out. Then I went from Panama to Colombia via the San Blas and motorboats to Turbo so it was another 7-10 days to get up to Cartagena.

Anyone cycling in that area should join the Panam-riders google group. It's a great resource.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Hadlock posted:

Post a picture of your pan american cycle please.

Any issues getting parts for your 26"/700c bike? Tires/tubes etc

http://domluther.smugmug.com/OneBikeOneWorld/South-America/6-French-Guiana/i-RjSF2pR/0/XL/CIMG1158-XL.jpg is from last week when I decided to push my bike along a hiking trail here in French Guiana.

26" is a much better option than 700c purely due to being able to get replacements. No matter how crap it is, it's better to have the option to buy something than not. That awful tyre might only last 500km, but that might be what you needed to get somewhere that has a better option. 700c just isn't available in most places. Schwalbe Marathon Mondials last for a good while, so a pair of those and a spare is good enough for 15,000km+.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, this I have experience with. I've been riding 700c 32mm Schwalbe Marathons, had a flat a few times because I've been run off the road by big-rigs in Northern Mexico, on roads with no shoulder that slope down to baby mesquite trees. Ugh. I anticipated this, and brought along FOUR spare tubes and a spare tire (a Continental Gatorskin, it's a slick and I was disappointed by that from the Amazon pic). Haven't used the spare tire, patches have been enough to get me through. I didn't expect to see 700c wheels south of the Rio Grande, but I saw them in EVERY major city over 200,000 people. Monclova, Monterrey, Saltillo, Matehuala, Veracruz. I don't know what the gently caress these cyclist blogs are talking about when they opine about the lack of 700c wheel accessories. I have zero experience outside of Mexico, but what I've seen logically should mean that any Central American city over a million people will have parts I can find in little Matehuala, Mexico.

Well, what's the advantage of 700c over 26"? I can say that I've met cyclists who have 700c and have told me that they've had problems finding things. Sure, there might be places where you can get 700c in large metropolitan areas, but why lock yourself into that problem when it can be avoided by getting 26"?

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Just met a guy in Bogota who was coming from Venezuela. I believe he said it's 60 to $1 at the moment.

Go to https://www.dolartoday.co and you'll see the rate. When I changed in Cucuta before going into Venezuela it was almost the same as it said on the page, although that was about 42 back 3 months ago.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 19, 2013

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, I crossed from Texas to Piedras Negras in mid-October.

At the border crossing at Talisman today, I knew I would have trouble because Piedras Negras never gave me an entrance stamp or customs paper and I didn't realize until it was too late to do anything about it; plus I wasn't familiar with all the different stops I had to make to be fully legal this time. I struck up a conversation with a teenager and he helped me pay a small fine for not having my Mexican papers, make copies of my passport to give to Guatemalan police, register with Guatemalan customs and get a cab to drive me to the next big town, because I don't like cycling in border areas. I tipped him, but by that time a group of maybe eight to ten younger kids had crowded around me, poking at my bike and poo poo. I quickly dismantled everything, trying to swat them away and get my bags and bike in the trunk, but the trunk wouldn't close and I had a good three seconds where things were vulnerable while I was getting in the car before we drove off, and one of the kids was able to zip open a pocket and steal my fresh wad of quetzals. I had my camera, GPS, IDs and passport in the same pocket, but there wasn't enough time for him to check and the cash was on top. It was only about $60, and I always carry secret gently caress-you dollars, it's more the principle of the thing. I should've been able to handle that.

In almost four months this is the first time I've been surrounded by people and purposely distracted, I could have managed things better. Nothing in Mexico came close to giving me culture shock, but this sure did. Felt more like India than Mexico.

Yeah border crossings are never fun by yourself on a bike. Trying to keep an eye on everything while you get pushed towards a building that you're obviouly not allowed to bring your bike into, and then standing in line forever.

Definitely agree with the India thing. Guatemala felt so much poorer than Mexico. Be prepared for a much lower amount of places to eat in random towns. If you cook, it might bother you less, but it was pretty common that I'd be told to keep going to the next place to eat. And then of course it was the Central American speciality of... fried chieken. Hope you like that. Central American food is on the whole a let down after the delights of Mexico.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Oh god, the customs houses. "No, no, just leave your bike on the street, the crowd around it is looking after its safety!" Bro, please, that bike hasn't left my sight in four months and I will look awkward and talk to the lady through the glass backward as I stare out the door the other direction.

The food, though. It's all fried chicken and stew. I'll survive, that's my thing. The one thing that I'm not impressed with is to see cassava again. gently caress cassava, I hated it in Nigeria and I hate it here.

I heard I can get good french bread in El Salvador c/d

I was only in El Salvador for about a week and basically only ate pupusas which became one of my favourite foods... didn't eat any French bread.

There's a good amount of cassava/yuca from there onwards. I'm in Brazil now and it's pretty much everwhere.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Dealing with a mild case of Dengue. Not nearly as bad as malaria or other diseases I've had. I'd assume the hemorrhagic version sucks, though.

And the great thig about Dengue is that you can't get that strain of it again, you're 1/4 of the way to being immune to Dengue!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Didn't seem that sketchy when I was there, but I wasn't staying. I was couchsurfing.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
They've got pupusas, of course they're nice. Best food in Central America.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

huhu posted:

I'm currently living in Panama and the selection of hiking gear is pretty bad. I'll be flying in to Cusco, Peru to go hiking and was wondering if I can get the following stuff there or should I find someone to bring it down: Nalgene water bottle, water purification tablets, gloves, hat, sleeping bag liner.

Also a random other question I have. Anyone have any idea why so much stuff is written in English in Panama? Not sure if this is just Panama or Latin America but to name a few... I see billboards, tv advertisements, fast food menus (on the wall), and even some Panamanian companies that will sometimes write their sign out front in English.

Costa Rica has a bunch in English too. I'd assume a lot of it is the US influence. Costa Rica is because there are so many foreigners that go that they are marketing towards. Panama, thanks to the canal, attracts lots of international investment surely.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Nope! You should definitely fly. Other than the chartered yachts full of drunk Australians that hit the San Blas islands for a couple days, it's only the hippies hopping speedboats. That takes a week at least, I've heard.

I did the speedboat option, because it's a drat sight cheaper than the yacht and flying (bike fees). You have to arrive at Cartí and hope that a motorboat is going up to Puerto Obaldia, I sat round for 2 days waiting, that's about $100 and 10-12 very bumpy hours. Then you stamp out in Obaldia, take a 30-45 minute boat around the corner to Carpugana, stay overnight, stamp in the next morning and then a $40? 2 hour, semi-comfortable bounce to Turbo. Carpugana has pretty beaches, and hanging out with the Kuna is interesting, but I'd not spend 1/3 of my time between San Jose and Bogota doing it

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Your bike take on any rust from that?

Nope, but as soon as I landed in Carpugana I went to the police station and used their hose to wash the bike down. Then on arrival in Turbo I went to a local bike shop and paid for the bike to get a tune-up and thorough clean and greasing which took over an hour and cost me 8000 pesos ($4).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Inflation is obviously there but with the dolar bue at around 14 things are cheap and it's far cheaper than Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay (the other 3 countries I've been in recently)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
For me, Uruguay was more expensive than Brazil but then my style of travel is different. I'm doing this on a bicycle and so I'm really only able to compare food prices well.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Hadlock posted:

Could you post a one or two paragraph of your experiences bicycling the Uruguay coast? I bounced up and down it for three days (that country is really small after Brazil) but only saw it by bus. My roommate graduates in a couple weeks and is looking at doing a bicycle tour of western europe or south america in the next six months.

Sorry! Currently riding through the Bolivian Andes and internet is choppy at the best. I went along the Uruguayan coast in July and while it was OK I definitely missed a lot as if I'd wanted to go to overcast and cold beaches I could have done it back in the UK. Uruguayans are by far the best drivers in the Americas (been everywhere but Chile, Ecuador and Peru) although that's helped by the fact that there is generally a big shoulder and minimal traffic. Even in Montevideo however they were really nice. Lots of people think that Uruguay is a good place for a short one month tour as a new cycle-tourist as it's pretty flat and nice people - as long as you speak Spanish to actually communicate with them.

If you've got any specific questions let me know and I'll answer next time I find some internet here!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Engin3 posted:

Yeah same. As soon as I hit Santa Marta I took my first chance up to Minca and the mountains to escape the heat.

I was pretty excited about Ecuador and Peru but with my current schedule it would have been rushed. I'll probably set sights on Ecuador and Peru next winter and take it a little bit more slowly than I would have.

Really bummed I'm missing out on alpacas and Cordilleria Blanc.

You're talking North American winter right? Won't it be raining pretty impressively during that time?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I learnt at UNAM in DF and it was fantastic. 6 week courses, and definitely about the studying - but not in a bad way. Also, you get to live in Mexico City which is great fun. Best food in Latin America.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Oh and Michel Thomas Spanish is absolutely glorious for learning Spanish. With the first few CD's of that I skipped the bottom couple of levels of Spanish class at UNAM, although it did lead to some confused looks from the other students who had studied for months/years and I'd studied Spanish for a week and we were in the same class. Obviously it lead to some vocab holes, i didn't know basic words like pen or pencil, but you can fill those in quickly.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TheImmigrant posted:

This is cool. What was UNAM like? I almost took a job teaching there five years ago. I know DF pretty well, but not UNAM.

Well the language school is a little distinct from UNAM. It's called CEPE (Centro de Enseñanza para Extranjeros) and is in it's own little part. Of course, it's still on the campus and being an UNAM student can do whatever any other student can do. It's a really great campus, not studied at any other universities that are UNESCO sites. CEPE itself has students from around the world, but mainly Asians and lots of them are on a year abroad, so their results actually matter for something. It helps create an atmosphere where people want to study. A friend of mine studied in San Miguel de Allende for a month, and learnt more in his first week at CEPE than his month in San Miguel and a big part of that is down to the atmosphere. My UNAM student card is also fantastic in terms of tourism because being the biggest university in Latin America it's recognised pretty much everywhere - although not at the above mentioned Machu Picchu - leading to lots of discounts while I travel.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
No idea how many students there are at UNAM, and of course there are various campuses. For those who want to study at CEPE but not in Mexico City there's also a campus in Taxco. http://www.cepe.unam.mx/ is the CEPE page. When I was there I think it was $370 for a 6 week course, which gives you 15 hours a week (M-F 9-12, although there's also an afternoon option) and then you can throw a bunch of extra classes on top of that. Officially you get two supplementary classes in that $370, but you can really go to as many as you like, they just won't count as college credit unless you pay for them (irrelevant for me being from the UK). I would go to 4-5 extra classes giving me 30+ hours of class time a week. I could have gone to more, but my head was collapsing from spending that much time in class, especially as I was busy doing self-study on top of that to fill in the vocab holes I had.

But yeah, learning some basics of grammar with Michel Thomas (apparently Paul Noble has a similar method of teaching) on his 8 hour foundation course is great and gives you such a head start.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I dunno, it's definitely not as cheap as here in Peru/Bolivia where you get yourself soup, a plate of food and a drink for $1.50, but you can live there cheapish. I found a place to stay and paid $200 a month rent for a room, in a decent part of town (right by the World Trade Centre in Napoles) and then food costs are what you make of them. I biked to UNAM every day, so transport was free.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
7-10 days in Panama City seems crazy. You know someone there, but it's not an interesting place really. The canal is cool, the city was different for me, but that's cos I'd just biked through the rest of Central America, but way too much time. Mexico City on the other hand should definitely not be skipped. Fantastic place!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Harley C posted:

Hey,
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question and if anyone can point me to a better one then please do. My girlfriend is a Brazilian exchange student and recently returned to Brazil. She was over her baggage limit and left me with a fair amount of stuff, including a camera, a few purses, and a dress. I would like to send these back to her but google searching shipping to Brazil is giving back some extreme responses about reliability of postage. I do not want her to lose these items forever. I am also particularly worried about the camera being taxed some ridiculous amount as well. Is there anyone here with experience in shipping to and from Brazil that can help me with some information?

Shipping to Brazil is notoriously slow. It's not even just getting past customs, in the country it's slow too. I was in Salvador, Bahia and my friend there mentioned importing a violin. It took 3 days from Europe to get through customs, and then 3 weeks to get from one side of Salvador to the other. But yeah, before that there's customs and they can stay forever and get hit by large amounts of customs.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I arrived from Uruguay so came with USD. The great thing about USD is that they come in $100 bills, and that's what they spit them out in in Uruguay, and so when I got to BA just went to la calle Florida and found lots of people giving just under the rate mentioned on http://dolarblue.net The alternative is to find someone and change it with them. I stayed with someone on CS for example, and he wanted to buy USD. A fair number of people do, because the peso just keeps devaluing.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

G-Hawk posted:

After looking into Banos(and other places) some this morning I pretty much came to an itinerary like this, so good to run into this post after.

Anyone done the bike ride from Banos to Puyo? Was eyeballing that, looks pretty fun.

You could go all the way down to Puyo, but the prettier part is the first 20-25km. I rode up it a few weeks back on my way to Quito, and it was a bit drizzly so there weren't that many riders out. It's great in terms of infrastructure with BEWARE THE CYCLIST signs everywhere, which combined with Ecuadorian driver's general niceness leads to a good time.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

I really didn't want to start a new thread, so here goes:

A former colleague was just granted what she says is a B1/B2 Tourist Visa from Nigeria to the US, good for two years. She's planning on visiting for three weeks this spring, and I'm hosting part of the trip in Texas. Is there any way we can visit friends in Mexico, and if so, what's required?

http://www.nairaland.com/975632/traveling-mexico-general-enquiries suggests a $36 visa fee and a visit to the Mexican embassy, but beware!!!

Nairaland posted:

Life in mexico is hard if u can't speak spanish or u don't have someone that can put u through. Mexico Is Survival of the fitest so if u are strong willed and can do and can work well u might just find the facour of God.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TheImmigrant posted:

A couple of things to bear in mind on the US side. Be sure the B visa is for multiple entries. I don't know if State even issues single-entry B visas any longer, but check to be sure. Also, having a valid visa does not guarantee admission to the US. It's unusual, but not unheard of for CBP officials to deny admission to aliens with a valid visa that have successfully been admitted on that visa a week or two prior. Admission is at the discretion of CBP, and Nigeria is in practice a nationality that gets scrutinized more heavily than others.

I am pretty sure they're not single entry. I got a B2 visa and it's valid for 10 years and I'm allowed to try to enter as many times as I'd like in that time.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TheImmigrant posted:

About photography, no. I definitely preferred the Argentine side of the falls, where you can get much closer. The Brazilian side has a good panoramic overview for photos, but you'll want to spend more time in Argentina. Cloudiness and rain might be issues, so give yourself a few days if you're looking for high-quality shots.

For accommodations, Puerto Iguazu in Argentina is much more pleasant the Foz, on the Brazilian side. Foz is a city of several hundred thousand, pretty seedy in places. Puerto Iguazu is more like a sleepy village, maybe 30,000 or so. Argentina is also much, much cheaper than Brazil right now.

I don't know your nationality for Brazil. If you are US citizen, you can cross over for the day without a visa. (Normally you need a visa before arrival, if you're a US citizen.) There is local transport that crosses dozens of times a day.

Also bear in mind the airport fee for EZE (international airport for Buenos Aires). I think it's up to $160 USD if you are US citizen, and is not figured into the ticket price. If other nationality, it varies. You'll want to confirm this, but last I knew there was no fee to fly into Montevideo, and usually fares into MVD are comparable. The Buquebus makes frequent crossings of the Plata, and Uruguay is worth visiting anyway.

Have the bridges on the Argentinian side been fixed? I was there back in late August and they hadn't been repaired since the serious rain that had fallen a couple of months earlier. Because of that, and the price, I only went to the Brazilian side, and stayed in Foz for 3 days.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Pvt Dancer posted:

From Panama to Colombia I took a small sailing boat for $550 to take a tour in San Blas and sail on to Cartagena. It's part of the tourist trail for people moving between Middle and South America because it's one of the few ways to get across the Darien Gap. Alternatives are a flight, a 1000+ passenger ferry (cheapest) or a speed boat along the coast ($375, but you end up in some shithole on the Panama/Colombia border and spend another day on boats/buses to get anywhere).

I did that back in the summer of 2013, so I guess it might have gone up since then, but the speedboat down the coast option totalled around $140 and involved changing in Carpugana, which is one of those MUST GO HERE Lonely Planet beaches. Seemed pretty, but I arrived at sunset and was on the boat to Turbo at sunrise.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Thesaurus posted:

I studied spanish/volunteered/travelled in Sucre, Bolivia, and would recommend it. Not sure the internet is very strong there, though. Definitely cheap.

Bolivian internet is awful. Uyuni is basically as good as dialup was, and even in La Paz/Oruro/Sucre/Potosi it was barely passable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Saladman posted:

Back to South America: How viable is tent camping? If we're considering trekking around the wine country of Argentina, the lake district of Chile, the Atacama, Titicaca-area, Cuzco-and-environs, Cartagena-and-environs, and Costa Rica (just in general)? This would start in mid-September and go through ~Jan 1st, and in the order written (e.g. Argentina -> Lake District -> Atacama -> ...)

Is it at all worth bringing a tent and camping gear, or are hostels so cheap and safety so not good that we should just rent stuff from trekking companies the few times we -really- want to do something?

In what context? There are hundreds (thousands?) of cycle-tourists who camp on a pretty much nightly basis all across the Americas. In the cities it's not that easy, but for example Argentina & Chile have plenty of official camp grounds filled with people having barbecue until 3am.