Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

davey4283 posted:

The girl and I are both interested in moving abroad and ex-pat'ing it up. Currently we reside in Milwaukee, WI. We have both traveled quite a bit. I was stationed in Germany for a couple years and she has studied abroad in Spain and Mexico. Neither of us have been to Central America yet.

We are both educated. She's a high school Spanish teacher and I'm an aircraft mechanic with a poor grasp on Spanish.

We were thinking about Panama which we've heard is relatively less expensive and safer. The climate seems great, too.

What's the general consensus and where can I get some good info or a link to certain posts? I'm paging/skimming through the thread but it is quite long.

I also have a dog that must come with. What are the rules for that?

Check out international living, they really like Panama. It is geared towards retirees, but they have a lot of practical info that would benefit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TheLizard posted:

Definitely get out of Guatemala City and head to Antigua. The shuttles cost about 10 USD and take an hour. We were there in 2009 and used Antigua as our home base, taking the overnight bus to Tikal for two nights and doing a day trip to Chichicastenango.

Tikal is a must-do, and you should spend the extra money to stay at the park. It's never "busy", but this way you can get in before the tourists show up and have the whole place to yourself, and it is HUGE. We stayed at the Hotel Tikal Inn. There are three hotels to choose from and they're all about the same price and quality. You can fly into Flores for a few hundred bucks or take an overnight bus for about $20. We took the overnight but and it was really quite ok, except for a drunk guy who tried to steal our seats (the driver threw him off). The bus station in the Peten is in the town of Santa Elena, which is a dive.

Chichi is not worth the time; the market is alright but it's very touristy and the touts are awful. If I were to do it again, I would spend that day in Antigua instead.

Antigua is a gem. We stayed at two different hotels, and I highly recommend both:

http://www.quintadelasflores.com/
http://www.cflorencia.net/ (request a room upstairs).

Good advice. I would agree that for a week in Guatemala Antigua is required as a base.

I would recommend the flight to Flores, it isn't too expensive and will save you a lot of time.

You could probably also squeeze in a trip to Lake Atitlan in a week.

And as Macunaima said watch out for semana santa, you might be able to find room in a hostel in Antigua during the week but most hotels want 3 day min during semana santa and would probably be booked by now.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

meiram posted:

So I'm headed down to Cancun from the US with a group of friends a week from tomorrow; we're staying at an all-inclusive resort for seven days. My biggest question is with money-changing; looking on the internet has suggested that my usual plan when going out of the country (warn my bank I'm going then just use ATMs to get the local cash I need) should be ok and give decent rates for the effort expended, so long as I use bank ATMs. Is there any reason why it's not feasible?

If you are planning on tipping at the resort I recommend bringing a small stack of ones. Much easier than trying to get a bunch of 10 peso coins.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Little Mac posted:

Hi, I have maybe an odd question.

I'm in Costa Rica right now teaching. I leave on April 28th. From what I've read and been told, my Visa expires on the 12th of April. I can renew it by scheduling a trip out of the country for 72 hours, but the problem lies in that being a bit pricey and, I mean, I'm teaching so it's not like I'm rolling in dough. If I'm leaving two weeks after my Visa expires and don't renew it and I have no interest in returning any time soon, what are the chances of anything happening at the airport? I just want to get out without having to pay for an expensive vacation. Will they even care?

Not sure if any of you guys will be familiar with similar situations, but thanks in advance if you are!

I had the same issue in Guatemala two different times. They didn't have the 72 hour rule though. I just went to Mexico and came back the next day.

The 2nd time I went to Honduras but by then they had a border agreement in place and didn't stamp passports, so I just ended up going to the immigration department in the capitol and paying like $50 to get a 90 day extension.

So I would check to see if you can extend your visa for a small fee. And if you do have to leave the country make sure they don't have a border agreement that will mean you won't get your passport stamped (I think this is just Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua iirc)

Unless you can find the exactly punishment for overstaying your visa (maybe its just a small fine), I wouldn't risk showing up to the airport with an expired visa.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Aliquid posted:

I'll be hitting Guatemala in 3 or 4 days and will update with what carrier/plan I go with when I buy my SIM.

Last time I was down there in 2009 all of the carriers were more or less the same. Same technology, similar prices. I can't remember which carrier I went with.

I would suggest just getting whatever they have in Paiz since that way you are more likely to find the same brand prepaid cards in the little tiendas in the middle of nowhere.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

We were going to go to Flores, Guatemala but I'm concerned it will be a pain/expensive to either get to Guatemala City to fly home or get back to Belize City to fly home. Flights out of Belize City are already at $800 and up for some reason (in comparison, I only paid $240 for a nonstop flight to Cancun from Raleigh-Durham).

So--I was thinking rather than go to Guatemala, maybe I would split off from my friend and ferry from Caye Caulker back to Chetumal, then hop another ADO bus to Tulum. Spend maybe another week in a hostel in Tulum, then bus it back up to Cancun to fly home (return fares to RDU are more like $300 or $400?). I've always wanted to go to Tulum, so this sounds like a good idea in theory. Even with another week of hostel accomodation/food I'll still beat the $800 Belize City flight price. I am trying to only make major travel movements on weekends, because I'm going to be working the whole time I'm there and need to be available on weekdays for my clients.

Will I be safe as a solo female in Mexico, though? I've only taken one semester of college Spanish and I'm not really that confident. I can read Spanish pretty well because I know French, but speaking it is another story. During our week in Playa Del Carmen we're staying in a room at a language school, so that should help me a bit, but I don't know how much.

side note: while in Belize I'll be talking to a lot of expats. Me and my husband are probably going to move there, so stay tuned. :)

I would recommend doing Guatemala. If you are in Playa for a week you will have plenty of time to visit Tulum. I wasn't as impressed with Tulum as most, but I think most would agree a week there is overkill.

Tikal has some of the most impressive ruins I've been to, and Flores is a very pretty little island town. Flights to Guatemala City from Tikal are ~$130 it sounds like, and from Guatemala City you can go to Antigua and Lake Atitlan, both of which I would highly recommend. Flights from GUA to RDU look like they are around $500-$600, so it's a bit more than flying from Cancun, but I think what you would see in Guatemala would be worth it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Engin3 posted:

So after enough inquiry I am status: screwed. A few important details I left out earlier. I've been penalized for losing my passport so many times (3 in the past 5 years) and I won't be re-issued a passport for another year unless I repeal it. If I lose this passport then I get a 48 hour passport to leave the country then and there.

Welp.

Maybe your airline will take pity on you and let you change your flight without the normal fees.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

Oh, Guatemala is fun, but be honest with yourself if you want to study there. Antigua is practically a camp for First-World backpackers claiming to study Spanish. The last time I was there, I spoke more Hebrew than Spanish. Most Guatemalans were priced out of the place a decade ago, and the 'students' there spend most of their evenings with other backpackers drinking at Mono Loco or Frida's. Xela would be okay for study, but nobody learns Spanish in Antigua.

Antigua is a complete tourist trap, but I think Xela, Huehue, Coban, or some of the towns on Lake Atitlan that aren't Pana would be good for studying Spanish. Also they are ridiculously cheap.

Though I don't know if I would want to spend a full month in any of those places. I would suggest maybe doing a week or two and then continuing your Spanish classes in another place.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Only problem with UNAM is that Mexico City is really expensive. So for someone looking to make $10k last as long as possible, I don't think DF is an option.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

I wouldn't really recommend Cancun-DF in one week, now that I read your initial query again. Cancun to DF is at least 24 hours of driving. Main highways in Mexico are quite good, but there's an enormous amount to see between Quintana Roo and DF, and a week is definitely not enough. A week isn't even enough for discrete areas like the Yucatan, or Chiapas or Oaxaca states. If you are leaving from DF, I think flying into Oaxaca City would be the best bet - it's not even a half-day drive to DF from there, and you can focus on Oaxaca state while ending with a couple of days in DF (which itself merits at least a week, in a perfect world).

I agree, Oaxaca to DF would probably be a good choice. Or if the flight isn't booked flying in and out of Cancun is usually pretty cheap and there's lots to see in the Yucatan.

I'm going to be in Cabo for 5 days in January. Already have 2 days of Scuba and a day of snorkeling with whale sharks booked. I figure we will do a day and maybe some drinking in San Jose del Cabo too.

Any can't miss things to see or recommendations for bars and restaurants?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I think the good ruins are a bit far away from Cancun to try to see the day you fly in. What are you looking to see/do overall in Mexico? Personally I liked the Yucatan, but I know it isn't for everyone.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Juanito posted:

Know anybody traveling to Brazil anytime in the next few months? That will be a cheaper, more reliable way to get the items to her.

Yeah I would see if she can reach out to the program and maybe there's a student from your area who is going to the same city in Brazil soon. Lot's of exchanges work like that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Puerto Barrios in Guatemala was a pretty big poo poo hole. I'm not even sure why I went there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

unsanitary posted:

I'm going with family to Cabo for a week pretty soon for a touristy vacation, but I'd like to spend a day or two doing non-touristy things around the area. Anyone have any good recommendations?

There really isn't much non-touristy stuff to do in Cabo. San Jose del Cabo is a bit less Spring-breaky, but that's just because its mostly old ex-pats that live there. Todos Santos is also touristy but more relaxed.

I was just in Cabo in January. Best part of the trip was swimming with Whale Sharks in La Paz, but you might be too late for that. There's a turtle hatchery in Todos Santos you could check out http://www.todostortugueros.org/hatchling_releases.html Cabo Plumo reserve is supposed to have really good snorkeling, we didn't make it because the wind was too strong. Whale watching is also a good bet. Though all of those things are rather touristy.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Brian Fellows posted:

Not sure if this is thread-related, since Mexico, but I'll try anyway:

I've been wanting to get SCUBA certified, and a lot of people have recommended Cozume in Mexico for this purpose. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on doing that in the end of May. I've got a week of vacation I was HOPING to spend somewhere else, but that kind of fell through, so I'm looking into making a week vacation out of Mexico.

I'll be in Cozumel for two days, three nights for sure, but I'll have the rest of the week and weekend around the Yucatan. I'm thinking I definitely want to get out to see Chichen Itza and probably one of the other ruin sites (probably rent a car and drive), but other than that I'm totally open to what I'm going to do. Can anyone make a suggestion on whether I stay in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, and maybe where within the city?

I'm not necessarily huge on beaches, and all inclusive is basically the opposite of what I like doing. I tend to like to wander around and find good places to eat, random bars to hang out in, get lost among the locals (yeah, I know both areas are huge tourist areas, so that may not apply). I'm open to doing whatever if I make new friends, but for the most part I'd be more interested in the area (and maybe history, if there are good museums) than the beaches and lazing around.

I would definitely stay in Playa if you want to try different restaurants and bars. It's touristy but nice and has a more sophisticated vibe than Cancun, especially the northern end of av 10, which has a more European feel. Playa is expensive but you can find cheap hotels and airbnb rooms that are in between the highway and av 10 and are still walkable. Or you can splurge and stay in between av 10 and the beach.

Chichen Itza is ok, but I wasn't too impressed after seeing Tikal and Copan. I've heard good things about Ek Balam. Valladolid is a nice town to stay a night. Tulum is also worth checking out, Great Cenote near there was beautiful. Cenote Chaak Tun near Playa is also really cool. Merida is a real city but it's pretty far away.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Just to add a couple things to TheImmigrant's post, you might want to look into taking a trip to El Mirador when you are in Peten. I've heard its beautiful. Xela and Huehue are real cities where you won't be surrounded by backpackers 24/7. I would definitely spend a few days in each at least since you have 6 weeks. I liked Pana better than San Pedro, but neither are places I would spend a lot of time in. If you are feeling adventurous, Guatemala City is worth checking out too. Just stay out of the slums.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I don't think you should need one for a connection. Usually immigration is outside of the international terminal.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm doing a last pass shopping trip before I leave on Wednesday for 6 weeks in Guatemala. Is there anything you guys wish you brought when you traveled around here you didn't think of?

Also, I use a safety razor normally. Are blades easy to find, it am I going to spend 6 weeks with a mach 3?

I don't recall seeing any when I was there in 2009, and I can't imagine things have changed much. I don't think I've seen razor blades in Mexican grocery stores in the last couple years either. You might just want to do mach 3s or disposable BICs.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Smashurbanipal posted:

So I'm going to be in Guatemala from the 14th of Dec till ~21. Staying in Tikal till the 16th. Is it worth the time to make it down to Guatemala City? Looks like a pretty long bus ride. Alternately, what should I check out in Flores if I decide to stay up the in the northern area?

I was there a while ago but I can't imagine doing more than a day in each of Tikal and Flores, unless you are the type to just sit around and listen to the birds and the monkeys.

Guatemala City isn't very interesting, but Antigua and Lake Atitlan are definitely worth seeing. You would probably have enough time to do both. You might also want to look into flights from Tikal, depending on your budget. Alternatively if you want to stay in Peten you could check out El Mirador, which is the tallest pyramid in the new world but is very remote.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

OOPRCT posted:

Would someone mind critiquing the rest of my Mexico trip for me? I already was in Monterrey, I'm in Guadalajara until the 26th and from there I'll be in Mexico City until the 3rd of January.

After that my schedule is not set. I have to be home by the 18th. I want to try to make it down to the Yucatan by then. I was thinking maybe the following cities:

Oaxaca, 3-4 days
San Cristobal, 3-4 days
Tulum, 2 days
Valladolid + Chichen Itza, 3 days
Merida, however remaining days left

Is this a good amount of time to see most of the good stuff? Am I seriously omitting any cities and is the Yucatan too much of a stretch for the time I have?

The Yucatan does seem like a bit of a stretch. Google maps says its a 12 hour drive from San Cristobal to Tulum. And from what I've heard you can spend a week in Oaxaca pretty easily. I'm not sure about Chiapas, tho I know that Palenque is amazing. And you have to account for a full day of travel from Mexico DF to Oaxaca and then Oaxaca to Chiapas.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

September in Central America is pretty hot, humid and rainy. But it's really cheap. But theres also the risk of hurricanes.

Just something to keep in mind.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I've only been to Jamaica and Guatemala in the rainy season, but since then I've decided I will only go to tropical places in the dry season. The extra expense is worth it to me. If I had less money and more vacation time, I might change my mind.

If you want to wait until November or December, Guatemala, Costa Rica, the Yucatan, Oaxaca or Central Mexico would probably all be good choices. I think Ecuador has pros and cons weather-wise no matter when you visit. I believe Colombia is great to visit almost any time, but Saladman would be able to confirm.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Oakland Martini posted:

-La Paz. The drive is fun and La Paz is a nice town with a long promenade on the water, good restaurants, etc. You can go snorkeling with whale sharks up there but that probably won't work the the kid.

Snorkeling with the whale sharks is probably my favorite traveling experience

If they think the 3 year old would enjoy the boat ride I would suggest going and taking turns snorkeling while one of them watches the kid.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Couple things I will add to the packing guide from the perspective of a man who does shorter 1-2 week trips and wants to look slightly more fashionable/blend in vs look like a backpacker/american.

1. Espadrilles/Boat Shoes/Penny Loafers make great travel dress up shoes. Pick whichever fits your required level of dress.
2. I like Tevas/chacos better than flipflops (yes I know these are the opposite of fashionable) for Latin America. There are so many beaches/cenotes/rivers/etc where you will need to scramble over rocks or through mud.
3. If you want to go out at night, consider wearing jeans or pants. Most men in Latin America wear pants out at night most places I've been.
4. Same with shirts, I like to bring a couple short sleeve button ups.
5. If it's the rainy season or I'm going somewhere windy I like to bring a windbreaker. I have a really lightweight and soft one from Columbia that isn't 100% water proof but stops the wind, layers easily, works well enough in the rain and fits better and feels better than a super waterproof plastic feeling rain jackets

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

We are looking at going to Guatemala in February for a week. Will be me, my boyfriend and a girl friend. We have some passable to good Spanish skills. My partner is learning for his job in the ER and wants to practice with locals, and he has about 5 days to spend. My friend and I are talking about staying a few days longer, so about a week+ for us.

All 3 of us are hikers/outdoors people so if we can spend more time seeing places like Atitlan and hiking a volcano. I have a personal interest in pottery (ceramics is my hobby), textile crafts and architecture, so Antigua is on my list to visit and all of us would be happy with a trip to a botanical garden or natural preserve type of deal. Very food open, not big partiers.

I was thinking Antigua from the airport for 2-3 days, Atitlan for another 2-3, then base camp Guatemala City for the rest with an overnight trip to the coast with my friend? Not sure how many days to give these areas. I've been to Crater Lake so I'm guessing Atitlan is the same cold water in an alpine setting that's not too fun to swim in?

Had mostly questions about out of the way stuff:
I'm curious if the trip to see Tikal is worth it with Flores being the closest town and an 8 hour out of the way? I'm into Mayan sites and have been to Chichen, Tulum and Monte Alban, but others in my party have not been to a significant site. I got to Chichen at opening hour. A+ will do it again with Tikal, but it also will take 3 days out of the trip with travel if we did a bus so it seems too tight for our timeline. Basically is Flores a better small town to spend time in vs Antigua?

I'd like to swing a beach day on the Pacific coast if there's a town to crash at overnight or even worth the trip down there? Livingston would be more preferred but it's also so far from Guatemala City.

There isn't really anything to see in Guatemala City, I wouldn't bother staying there unless your flight times require it. But even then Antigua is only an hour from the airport and it should be easy to find transportation to and from.

Tikal is stunning, better than Chichen Itza and Tulum, and really only on par with Teotihuacan in North America in my opinion. Flores is also a really nice little town to spend a night in, but not really comparable to Antigua. You don't really have time to drive imo so if you're interested you would need to fly. It looks like it's about $200 round trip.

If Tikal isn't in your budget or it seems like too much work I would recommend Rio Dulce and Livingston, you can even stop by the Copan ruins just across the border in Honduras on the way. If you don't have time for that I guess El Paredón on the Pacific is a nice little beach down (tho I've never been)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Motherfucker! Speaking of Guatemala, the airline just told me my flights to there were changed. It was supposed to be BER->EWR->GUA and return from Roatan and instead there's now another stop in Houston and a return from Guatemala instead of the open-jaw flight I had. It was already a whole-day ordeal but now it's even more nightmarish.

At least 50% of the purpose was also for driving on Roatan so that's doesn't work for that either. Fuuuck. Let's see if some changes are possible, or if I'll have to cancel the whole thing because as wonderful as Guatemala is, I wanted to see some more different places too during the trip.

Looks like there are some direct flights from Guatemala to Roatan. Not sure if that would help you. If you're driving I would suggest stopping in Rio Dulce for a night. There's also Copan where you could stay to break up the drive. I've heard San Pedro Sula isn't worth visiting (dangerous and not much to do). And finally I wouldn't worry about trying to get to Belize, it's really difficult to get to from Guatemala.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I also really loved Mexico City, but I went as a solo traveler and stayed in hostels. Also I speak Spanish, which made it more fun.

Honestly though I think quite a bit of my enjoyment was due to how cheap everything was even tho it's such a big city with amazing options. Every meal and drink not only activated the taste part of my brain but also the "I got a good deal" part of my brain.

I'm not cheap by any means, but I definitely get a little fatigued spending a ton of money on good but not great food and drink when I'm in an expensive city like Paris, Chicago, NYC, etc. But in Mexico City it was easier to not think about it.

Only other thing I'll add is that the Trotsky Museum near the Frida Museum is worth checking out if you like history.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 31, 2022

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

2 minutes on wikitravel tells me the Ruta del Desierto bus takes 45 minutes and costs $5

https://wikitravel.org/en/Cabo_San_Lucas#Get_in

Or you could've just rented a car lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

When I was in Mexico City pre COVID my Ubers around Roma Norte, Polanco, Centro, and Condesa were like $5-$8 each, it was amazing, tho I felt like a gluttonous American jet setting from one spot to the next.