Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Not terribly sure where I'm going with this game, but it's turning into a point-and-click adventure game with platforming elements. Watch it in HD to see my pretty, pretty particle emitter :allears: Short video, but I've only got about 2-3 minutes of content in the game so far.

If you want to check it out, it's at http://beneath.dungeo.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KT1Tsyy8hw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

A project I started in Jan. 2013 is shipping on Tue :)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Worked on a glitch shader yesterday! Most of it was altering a mosaic shader to step down the pixel size with distance from a set point, as well as faking chromatic aberration using a modified edge detection shader (so you'll notice bits are magenta / green)

I'm not totally sure what the additional artifacts are from -- they don't show up if the cube is static, regardless of the starting rotation of the cube. I want to blame some Processing but it's probably some kind of issue about sampling pixels that I'm not handling correctly.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I wanted to learn the twitter API so I made a stupid bot that will make word clouds out of text files you tweet at it (or if you just tweet at it, it will make one out of your tweet):

Maybe it won't break, either way it was fun

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Rides Naked posted:

I wanted to learn the twitter API so I made a stupid bot that will make word clouds out of text files you tweet at it (or if you just tweet at it, it will make one out of your tweet):

Maybe it won't break, either way it was fun

Make it find tweets based on a certain hashtag and make a wordcloud out of that!

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I'm writing a Yelp scraper in Python. It uses a single coordinate and math to generate multiple points and make multiple queries to the Yelp API instead of a single, lame 20-result query.

Lots of work to be done, but I found getting maps to create was gratifying.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Literally Elvis posted:

I'm writing a Yelp scraper in Python. It uses a single coordinate and math to generate multiple points and make multiple queries to the Yelp API instead of a single, lame 20-result query.

Lots of work to be done, but I found getting maps to create was gratifying.

Hi there Austinite.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You should make it add music tracks to each flag from the year that the establishments were founded. You know, synergy and all that.

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some

kayakyakr posted:

Hi there Austinite.

Hi there, Austinite.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

avidal posted:

kayakyakr posted:

Hi there Austinite.
Hi there, Austinite.

Bonus points if either of you know what the origin point in my screenshot is.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Literally Elvis posted:

Tupelo, Mississippi?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Literally Elvis posted:

Center looks like 6th and Red River so... Esther's Follies? El Sol y La Luna? One of those random food trailers? *shrug*

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I turned the zipcodes of Florida into an equalizer. Uses PostGIS + Node.js / Express + Three.js + WebAudio API + :catdrugs: custom shader :catdrugs:

It's pretty sweet how little actual code this is. Also I get to play with this for work.

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 13, 2014

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

netcat posted:

Make it find tweets based on a certain hashtag and make a wordcloud out of that!

I threw that in over the weekend for the hell of it. You just tweet a hashtag at it, like the completely understandably popular #LiamBrokeHisArmOnHisAnaconda

Ah the insights big data can provide

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Alibaba day, the world gets to see stuff I worked on. Similar to a few pages back, all the screens showing prices and scrolling things:

Big 8-panel wide ticker, each panel is actually orientated vertically and rotated using XRandR in order to bypass acceleration defects in nVidia's drivers:

Big board comprising 4x4 panels, ticker slowed down so not much of a performance problem.

Small board at the main entrance which I think Fox like to sit a camera permanently underneath.

Another variation of the small board, spot the classy HTML encoding error by editorial.

The floor is unsurprisingly busy, hiding behind CNBC all morning.

The first trade indicators as the institutions work on IPO price.

Really rear end looking LED panels showing a barely legible company name.

For some reason this half of the floor has less people, probably because no cameras.

CNBC presenters going blah, blah, blah.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Well that's a lot cooler than what I'm gonna post (congrats!).

I made TicTacToe in Swift (to start getting used to it) with an unbeatable AI:

https://github.com/BayPhillips/TicTacToe

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 22, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MrMoo posted:

Alibaba day, the world gets to see stuff I worked on. Similar to a few pages back, all the screens showing prices and scrolling things:

Really rear end looking LED panels showing a barely legible company name.

Did anyone catch some poo poo for using that panel? With all the money floating around there, you'd think someone would have sprung for something a little nicer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Two are broken on one end of the floor, no one can be assed to fix them as it takes hours to get up there and change it.

Everything is run by different companies and contractors, NYSE itself was recently bought out by ICE and a lot of things needing attention. Everyone waiting for the new exchange name for example.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
I had to take some time away from game development to work on my bread and butter - an Augmented Reality app for a nature reserve. I spent the last week completely rewriting the whole thing, and it all works about a million times better now.
I couldn't help but get a screenshot (and video) of this while testing, though:

and the video:
http://youtu.be/6HyrH1ErEFo

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I had to take some time away from game development to work on my bread and butter - an Augmented Reality app for a nature reserve. I spent the last week completely rewriting the whole thing, and it all works about a million times better now.

and the video:

This is cool, but I'm confused as to what exactly I'm seeing. The butterfly is being superimposed onto what? Something like Google Glass? An iphone screen?

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
In this case, I did a screen recording from the tablet I was testing on. So yes, you basically use your phone/tablet screen as a viewer.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Still tinkering and slowly improving my Chip8 IDE.

You can try it here or check out the thread.

murkdotdoc
Oct 26, 2005
Working on integrating CorePlot into my project that pulls engine data and displays it on a gauge/chart. Lots of work to do but the real-time functionality seems to be working ok.

More info here.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pi Mu Rho posted:

and the video:

I'm not sure how it works but it is pretty dang cool.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I have some more BeagleBone Black Android work just about wrapped up. I pulled documentation from half-a-dozen different places and pushed past the old Android build process for Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) to move on to integrating the BBB's 3.8 kernel tree into AOSP's Android 4.4.4 (KitKat). It actually works on all of my various LCD cape boards and the built-in HDMI. Just plug them in and go without changing any configuration settings and they all "magically" work because the proper device tree overlays are inserted into the active device tree on-the-fly by the kernel's capemgr:

4D Systems capes:

CircuitCo capes:

Built-in HDMI (via an awful HDMI-to-NTSC video capture):

:dance:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

I'm not sure how it works but it is pretty dang cool.

The Idea of AR is that a symbol of some kind is detected by the AR software and on the device rather than seeing the symbol it is replaced with a 3D model placed into the world.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Playing around with OpenCV to see if I can automatically turn these hand-written probate registers into searchable text. It's a pretty limited vocabulary (names, job titles) which should help once I get to the OCR part. The techniques were found in random papers with google.

Original

Cropped to the main section by using Hough transform to locate horizontal & vertical lines, then separated into text lines by summing gray values of each row of pixels. The rows with the least writing will have the highest sums (by being closer to white = 255). Smoothing the sums with a rolling average & getting local maxima gives the offsets for the space between each line, above in blue.

De-slanted by trying differently angled skew transforms & selecting the one that gives the most tall peaks in its summed columns (= most vertical pen strokes), then separated into letters as above but using columns instead of rows. I was actually attempting to just separate into whole words, but it's pretty close to getting the correct letter boundaries, probably just need to tune it a bit. Looks like I'll also need to pad the lines a bit more so less gets cut off.

Next part is probably determining where each entry begins (where the lines start with big letters perhaps?), and then the OCR part.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 27, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's barely legible for humans, funny if a machine learning computer system could do better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Playing around with OpenCV to see if I can automatically turn these hand-written probate registers into searchable text. It's a pretty limited vocabulary (names, job titles) which should help once I get to the OCR part. The techniques were found in random papers with google.

Original

Cropped to the main section by using Hough transform to locate horizontal & vertical lines, then separated into text lines by summing gray values of each row of pixels. The rows with the least writing will have the highest sums (by being closer to white = 255). Smoothing the sums with a rolling average & getting local maxima gives the offsets for the space between each line, above in blue.

De-slanted by trying differently angled skew transforms & selecting the one that gives the most tall peaks in its summed columns (= most vertical pen strokes), then separated into letters as above but using columns instead of rows. I was actually attempting to just separate into whole words, but it's pretty close to getting the correct letter boundaries, probably just need to tune it a bit. Looks like I'll also need to pad the lines a bit more so less gets cut off.

Next part is probably determining where each entry begins (where the lines start with big letters perhaps?), and then the OCR part.

Sup fellow OpenCV buddy, I've been working with trains instead of text. (Source video I was using for this older gif had dupe frames which was messing with my motion detector)

Your post has given me fodder to try a few different things. Are you planning on writing a new classifier or trying to feed that into an existing one (e.g. tesseract)?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MrMoo posted:

That's barely legible for humans, funny if a machine learning computer system could do better.

It's a late 18th century mix of latin cursive (the names) and gothic cursive (the rest), also it's in Danish. Luckily it's one of the more legible hands, some of them are atrocious. It took me a while to get familiar with gothic cursive but I can read it decently now. My transcription:

pre:
Andresen |: afgl: Christence Nielsdatter Juul, Enke af
   forrige Kok Morten Andresen
Andersen |: Charlotte Marie :|, Oldermand for fær-
   gelauget her i Staden Jörgen Stephensens hustru
Anne Margrethe, Enke af Under-Jæger Fran-
   çois Rousselle
btw the :effort: smileys were how they wrote parentheses back then. The writer has forgotten to close the first one

Trabisnikof posted:

Sup fellow OpenCV buddy, I've been working with trains instead of text. (Source video I was using for this older gif had dupe frames which was messing with my motion detector)

Your post has given me fodder to try a few different things. Are you planning on writing a new classifier or trying to feed that into an existing one (e.g. tesseract)?

I haven't decided how to do the OCR part yet. Looking at papers for popular methods, there seem to be a lot of mentions of Hidden Markov Models, not so much any existing OCR engines.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

hendersa posted:

I have some more BeagleBone Black Android work just about wrapped up. I pulled documentation from half-a-dozen different places and pushed past the old Android build process for Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) to move on to integrating the BBB's 3.8 kernel tree into AOSP's Android 4.4.4 (KitKat). It actually works on all of my various LCD cape boards and the built-in HDMI. Just plug them in and go without changing any configuration settings and they all "magically" work because the proper device tree overlays are inserted into the active device tree on-the-fly by the kernel's capemgr:

4D Systems capes:

CircuitCo capes:

Built-in HDMI (via an awful HDMI-to-NTSC video capture):

:dance:

I finally released this thing: http://www.bbbandroid.org

I use repo to combine 361 different git repositories together to make the Android image. And, since we need a screenshot, here is the website that I just put up this morning for the project:

Last time that I did this, I received thousands of mails. Let's hope that the response is a touch less enthusiastic this time around.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing around in Unreal Engine 4 for a while. I've also started to learn blender.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Valtis posted:

Baby's first compiler

I picked lisp-like syntax since I figured it's easier to write parser for it. I haven't implemented branching yet, but you can call functions and pass arguments as well as use the return values. Whole thing runs on a simple stack based vm.

What's up compiler buddy? I just started working on one too. I haven't built the parser for it yet (but the syntax will probably end up looking Lisp-ish) but I've just finished up implementing first-class functions and closures. Nothing special yet but it's pretty fun to write, I recommend making one to others.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I am putting together a sample Android HAL for a variety of hardware, and I have a sample up and running:

The sample hardware uses some GPIOs (button input and LED output), A SPI-based temp/pressure sensor, and an I2C FRAM. Press the button and the LED comes on, the sensor data is collected, the data is written to the FRAM, and then the data is retrieved from the FRAM to ensure it wrote properly.

:science:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Original

I wonder if it's worth trying to use m-turk/crowdflower to do this.

Edit: In combination with your work too, I mean. I think m-turk is US only, but crowd flower gave me $100 free credit when I signed up (and I haven't used it yet)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 9, 2014

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Edit: In combination with your work too, I mean. I think m-turk is US only, but crowd flower gave me $100 free credit when I signed up (and I haven't used it yet)

What i want to see is the Spell checker that RTM (internet worm) 's dad wrote...

It apparently was a spell checker that got 99% of mis spellings and had no dictionary.

It was supposed to use pattern matching to work out the spelling rules.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I've owned this thing for 4 years and kept it through 3 moves and I finally got around to doing something with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHXzukItVk

Now to figure out what exactly to utilize it for.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to make some trees. At first I thought I could model them on my own but ultimately I made a python script to have them procedurally generated in blender.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I don't think it'd be necessary to use paid transcribers, actually. There's been a lot of volunteer-driven projects in Danish genealogy circles that have done quite a lot of work.

~480,000 card catalog of Jutlanders indexed by name, title, place, year over a 15 month period: http://nygaards-sedler.dk/
~17,000,000 census entries from 1787 onwards, project has been going for over 20 years with several censuses completely transcribed: http://ddd.dda.dk/ddd_en.htm
~1,400,000 police register cards with addresses of Copenhagen residents 1890-1920: http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/en/om-projektet

I currently envision my thing as a sort of transcription helper that continually learns a given writer's characteristics until it can supply suggestions & maybe eventually let the transcriber just hit "correct" on each word, occasionally correcting them.

BTW, for the interested, look up the ICDAR (odd years) and ICFHR (even years) competition papers, lot's of interesting algorithms on offline handwritten cursive recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

ijustam posted:

Now to figure out what exactly to utilize it for.

Evil.

Failing that you could make some sort of system that responds to sound levels/FFT data and use it at parties.