Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

RoboCicero posted:

It's pretty cute! Did you figure out a solution to your lights question, or did you just use deferred rendering / crank it up to like 16 pixel lights?

I just went with deferred rendering. Forward rendering with even 10 pixel lights in that scene completely trashed performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I just went with deferred rendering. Forward rendering with even 10 pixel lights in that scene completely trashed performance.

I don't know if i completed it or not, the box opened and there was a confetti parade similar to the surprise party in Portal 2 -

To be honest i was expecting GLaDos to start talking about how overweight i was after being in storage...

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
Got some grass going! The white leaves are a result of me not fixing my blend mode...

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

NorthByNorthwest posted:

Got some grass going! The white leaves are a result of me not fixing my blend mode...

It's probably obvious, but is this often optimized by rendering the individual blades within a certain FOV and distance, and then just fading that to a texture or bump mapped texture? I'm betting on the new Zelda doing that.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

It's probably obvious, but is this often optimized by rendering the individual blades within a certain FOV and distance, and then just fading that to a texture or bump mapped texture? I'm betting on the new Zelda doing that.

From what I've seen, yeah, you start at the individual blades, and fade out to cross sections, and finally horizontal slabs.

Here's a great resource on it: http://www.kevinboulanger.net/grass.html
I ended up implementing something a bit simpler from here: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch07.html

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

baka kaba posted:

You should still post screenshots though, especially gifs because who doesn't like those?

You've got it. I have a few images to cross-post from my project.log thread.

I'm making some good progress on designing a BBB cape board to interface directly with SNES/NES gamepads to turn the BBB into a proper retro gaming console:

I made some renders, too!

This cape board will provide an interface between the real-time unit GPIOs and the gamepads, a battery-backed real-time clock, and an EEPROM to report the cape to the BBB kernel capemgr. Because the gamepads use a 5 volt logic level and the BBB GPIOs use 3.3 volts, I have four BSS138 transistors on the cape to perform the line-level conversion.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Here's a WW3 simulator type thing I've been working on. Watch those icbms fly!
But i know what you're thinking.. those explosions don't look very impressive. So lets see what happens when they can use asteroids as weapons.

Thats more like it.

Still to do:
More super weapons.
Better planet deformation/cratering.
Decals/ texture changes.
Whatever else needs doing.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

munce posted:

Here's a WW3 simulator type thing I've been working on. Watch those icbms fly!
But i know what you're thinking.. those explosions don't look very impressive. So lets see what happens when they can use asteroids as weapons.

Thats more like it.

Still to do:
More super weapons.
Better planet deformation/cratering.
Decals/ texture changes.
Whatever else needs doing.

This is pretty cool and I find myself thinking about the SDI and arms race-y stuff, like interceptor missiles, orbital defenses, MIRVs, etc.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Our product delivery team is in the early stages of rewriting our flagship product as a web application and is implementing log4net. I'm on the services side of the organization (implementing our software, other software, etc. for our customers), so my code is usually limited to things such as flat file preprocessors, web services, or other code to fill in the gaps. Coding is not a job requirement, but a nice thing to have. Things are slow at the end of the year, so I decided to take on a pet project.

One of the pieces of software we resell has some nice tools for viewing everything that goes on in real time. I figured it would be nice to have something similar for our software. So, I put something together over the past few days that does just that. It listens on a specified port and logs anything coming in from a UdpAppender from the application.

It's not as exciting as many of the other things posted in this thread, but it was a decent learning experience for myself. I learned how to create custom configuration sections, so the columns and their attributes (is it filterable, should it create a dropdown of logged values to select in the filter, etc.) can be configured to your liking (just make sure your patternlayout matches). If you save your log results, it saves the column configuration along with the rows so that it can be reopened on another machine with the same columns and filtering options intact (versus blowing up if they don't match the other machine's app.config).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I added multithreaded calculation and pseudo-HDR to my fractal generator. It blends multiple "exposures" (really, different scaling functions and gamma for the sample count):

Before

After (high-pass gamma = 0.8)

After (high-pass gamma = 1.0)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 3, 2015

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Here's my Advance Wars-inspired game that's going to come in multiple versions (graphical version coming later). The game is already modifiable through a tool - in fact, everything that you see has been loaded from files.
I'm currently lacking some minor features (repairs, ground-air combat, victory/failure states and cover), as well as some major features (commanders) before I have something that can "emulate" Advance Wars entirely. Obviously, my goal doesn't end there. I want multi-player over the Internet.

Edit:
Oh, and this runs on Windows and Linux. Language is C++, the library used to "render" everything is pdcurses (Windows)/ncurses (Linux).

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Lately I've been playing around with the K programming language, which is in the APL family but only uses normal ASCII characters. It doesn't have very many interesting IO facilities built in, but it occurred to me that stdout is all I need to recreate a classic graphics programming hack.

The source:
code:
rotate: { cx:2.3+_cos y[0]; cy: _sin y[0]; / [(A;B);(theta;phi)]
          cp:    _cos y[1]; sp: _sin y[1];
          ca:    _cos x[0]; sa: _sin x[0];
          cb:    _cos x[1]; sb: _sin x[1];
          xp: (cx*((cb*cp)+(sa*sb*sp)))-cy*ca*sb;
          yp: (cx*((sb*cp)-(sa*cb*sp)))+cy*ca*cb;
          zp: %5+(ca*cx*sp)+cy*sa;
          (_40-30*xp*zp;_20-20*yp*zp;zp) };

render: {{.[`b;(y;x);|;z]}.'+rotate[x;grid]};
grid:   +,/t,/:\:t:0.8*!80;
disp:   {`0:"\33[H",,/{x,"\n"}'" .,-~:;=!*#$@"[_15*x]};
main:   {1}{b::40 80#0.0; render x; disp b; .07 .03+x}/.0 .0;
I've simplified the original by removing the luminance calculations and simply rendering the z-buffer. This version is fairly slow in Kona, so I also decreased the density of the plot, leaving visible seams. Still tinkering with it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nice.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

Lately I've been playing around with the K programming language, which is in the APL family but only uses normal ASCII characters. It doesn't have very many interesting IO facilities built in, but it occurred to me that stdout is all I need to recreate a classic graphics programming hack.

The source:
code:

I've simplified the original by removing the luminance calculations and simply rendering the z-buffer. This version is fairly slow in Kona, so I also decreased the density of the plot, leaving visible seams. Still tinkering with it.
I see a problem here. This K/Q code is far too readable (except maybe disp). :v:

Somewhat more seriously, how is Kona? I haven't played with it yet. Does it support most or all of a specific K version?

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Internet Janitor posted:

The source:
code:

Recently (like four months ago) a Kos thread on Hacker News prompted me to look into it, man is that language and its proponents weird. I have seen people say that they want it to be terse and dense because that makes it better somehow, this looks like I might understand it if I try.

There was also a lot of talk that Koan is not at all a good version of K and that people should use the version available with kdb+ at https://kx.com.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

minidracula posted:

I see a problem here. This K/Q code is far too readable (except maybe disp).

disp is definitely the ugliest and most cryptic looking routine there but most of that is because "\33[H" is an ANSI terminal escape code and " .,-~:;=!*#$@" is a grayscale character lookup table.
Idiomatic K style is quite unusual but of the APL family languages I have tried I find it the most pleasing to work with. There is a paper discussing K style which I found interesting, and at least somewhat convincing.

minidracula posted:

Somewhat more seriously, how is Kona? I haven't played with it yet. Does it support most or all of a specific K version?

Kona targets K3 but the devs are open to implementing features from K4 and K5. It's alright. Nearly every time I've written a significant program with it I've found bugs or inconsistencies but the devs are fairly responsive to bug reports. It might be a better idea to play with KDB+, especially if performance is important, but Kx is really only supporting Q, a syntactic sugar layer which builds on essentially undocumented K underpinnings. The situation isn't too great for beginners from any angle. For my part I'm trying to do nice writeups for the programs I write.

Mr. Fish posted:

Recently (like four months ago) a Kos thread on Hacker News prompted me to look into it,

kOS was what made me interested in K as well. It's a bit frustrating that K5, which is incompatible with prior versions of K in a number of ways, is teased at on the kparc site but unavailable to the public (on the basis that it's still heavily in flux). I've written my own non-canonical K5 interpreter based on the information I could glean. It's written in JavaScript so I expect it to be ponderously slow compared to the real thing but it's pretty easy to hack up if you just want to experiment with the language. I think I have a good portion of the language featureset down now (no doubt with many lurking bugs and mistakes), and having gained a better understanding of the problem space I see many ways to simplify and cut down.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Boring web developer time!

From ComBoards, my community-based job board startup concept. Quite spartan, but it's meant to be embedded and I just deployed it today after some light work over the holidays.

I'm most fond of the semi-private implementation. You can only get to a board via the keyed link:

http://comboards.com/k/h9px3QCGIw

Once you've visited that, it's saved in your session, along with the other communities you've accessed. If you register and then visit the link, it will be linked to your user.

e: aaaaand I realized that it was busted in that, if you visited while signed out, it forced you to sign in. very embarrassing after I even bragged on that feature.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 8, 2015

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
BSplines are fun!

I'm just getting started with splines, but I'm looking forward to doing more with them.

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007

Third iteration of the music events / soundboard tool. I've been working with an audio guy who has been using that to design event based for my space game. The idea is that you define states that are used in the game for the music and then define the tracks that belong to the states and effects. Once effect is given to the handler the lib automatically applies the effects.

He has been experimenting with the music and different ideas for effects and I've implemented his effects. The same implementation as in the tool is also used in the game. Unfortunately, the only effects that I can get reliably working cross platform are those manipulating volume such as fade in/out.

captain_g fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 9, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Saturday, etc. Yay screenshots.

That's Jooseppi. He's running on a worker's rights / communist platform to try and oust the current mayor. He's holding that rally in front of Ossified Egg, the luxury penthouse smack dab in the middle of the urban zone the industrial powers are "revitalizing" (gentrifying).

Jooseppi is an actual real-world cat whose owner graciously allowed us to use his image in-game. :3:

That's the Ossified Egg's interior. That dude is The Concierge. He's a massive rear end in a top hat.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Shalinor posted:

That's Jooseppi. He's running on a worker's rights / communist platform to try and oust the current mayor. He's holding that rally in front of Ossified Egg, the luxury penthouse smack dab in the middle of the urban zone the industrial powers are "revitalizing" (gentrifying).

Jooseppi is an actual real-world cat whose owner graciously allowed us to use his image in-game. :3:

That's the Ossified Egg's interior. That dude is The Concierge. He's a massive rear end in a top hat.

I'm getting Problem Sleuth vibes off of this, and I am loving it.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Neurion posted:

I'm getting Problem Sleuth vibes off of this, and I am loving it.

I agree that it looks excellent

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Shalinor posted:

I wish the windows in the first screenshot weren't so reflective. The second screenshot is really neat; I love all the colours.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Nothing too visually exciting, but I've made a small tool that extracts information on the current game being played in Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sebbe posted:

Nothing too visually exciting, but I've made a small tool that extracts information on the current game being played in Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Nice.

Are you reading the save file or the memory of the running game process? Also, what's the console you are using?

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Nice.

Are you reading the save file or the memory of the running game process? Also, what's the console you are using?

I'm reading neither. I'm parsing the log file. It's quite simple to do. The initial version actually only took 51 lines of code.

I actually originally made it for bisnap, to be used during runs, so people could check his item loadout + seed live.

The console is ConEmu. It's nice having a properly resizable console in Windows.

Sebbe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 11, 2015

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

For a while I've been reverse engineering the Source engine networking for Dota 2 aimlessly. So far I've completely implemented connecting to a game as a player and spectating other player's games. My current goal is to make my own bot for Dota 2, which the video below shows. Right now it connects to the game as a player, immediately selects Nature's Prophet, and then immediately makes a move towards the fountain. This video is filmed using my Steam account so we can watch what the bot does, but there's no need for me to be running Steam or Dota 2 for the bot to work. This is all super exciting, because it means I finally speak to the game coordinator (including VAC) and the game server fluently, and all that's left is actual bot logic. This is all a C# program built on top of SteamKit. I would love to chat with someone from Valve about it!

<snip>

(sorry for the lag, my computer is terrible)

THE PLATFORM MASTER fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 20, 2015

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

This is all a C# program built on top of SteamKit. I would love to chat with someone from Valve about it!

I would honestly be somewhat surprised if this isn't breaking their TOS, so you may want to avoid that...

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

Buffis posted:

I would honestly be somewhat surprised if this isn't breaking their TOS, so you may want to avoid that...

Yeah maybe, I'm just doing it for fun so I'd be bummed if they got angry. There's some good uses for it, for example you could automate amateur league hosting and statistics collection. Another idea someone had is making a platform for people to write bots on and make them compete like that StarCraft competition. The network parsing is useful for spectator analysis of live games. At the same time I love playing Valve games and realize this could be undesirable so I have absolutely no plans to release it. Dota 2 is also moving to Source 2 soon which will break a lot of this too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Boring web developer update time!

Enabled CORS and played around with backbone+handlebars and now my comboards concept can be used via embedded JS:

Yay, boring stuff!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Now my K interpreter has a browser-based repl frontend.
Still working out small kinks, but it can execute a number of interesting programs now.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
More stuff for my game thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDt45cdQAo

and released it up on itch.io because why not?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

What you have created is truly the most contemplative and solemn flappy bird clone.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

clockwork automaton posted:

The abrupt death and return to the menu made me laugh out loud for reasons I'm not sure I understand. I love it, and the crow animation is fantastic.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
What ever happened to that guy that was showing off his game engine that kind of worked like A Link to the Past? It was pretty amazing.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

What you have created is truly the most contemplative and solemn flappy bird clone.

Haha, exactly what I was going for. :)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The abrupt death and return to the menu made me laugh out loud for reasons I'm not sure I understand. I love it, and the crow animation is fantastic.

I was hoping for a fade to black with the word "fin" printed on it.

That would be a decent way to advance levels and add additional contemplation and solemnity.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

clockwork automaton posted:

Just a suggestion: either spawn the snow flakes with some y speed set or spawn them a little bit above the screen. Currently all the snow flakes start with 0 y speed and it is noticeable.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

What ever happened to that guy that was showing off his game engine that kind of worked like A Link to the Past? It was pretty amazing.

I think he had a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Just a suggestion: either spawn the snow flakes with some y speed set or spawn them a little bit above the screen. Currently all the snow flakes start with 0 y speed and it is noticeable.

I would suggest spawning the snowflakes with some horizontal movement to the left as well.. When the snow moves straight down the bird feels pretty stationary, with the text being in motion..