Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Contains Acetone posted:

Playing around with the GalaxyZoo dataset that's up on Kaggle.com:

Example images and reconstructions:

Some of the learned features after training for a couple of hours today:

Using Rectified Linear Units seems to be working VERY well. I'm glad I ended up implementing them.

This is from waay back but pretty cool stuff. Came across it since I'm now trying to build a RBM from scratch so this is going to be a fun time figuring out all the gaps I have in ML knowledge :v:

Did you get to post the source somewhere eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

This is from waay back but pretty cool stuff. Came across it since I'm now trying to build a RBM from scratch so this is going to be a fun time figuring out all the gaps I have in ML knowledge :v:

Did you get to post the source somewhere eventually?

Contains Acetone's RBM trainer is waaaaaay faster than my code, but if you're only looking for curiosity, you can check this out: https://github.com/JosephCatrambone/Aij

Screenshot:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This is more stuff I worked on in July but our procedural wood got released this weekend! :toot: I didn't contribute much to the overall material model beyond a few very minor tweaks, but I did code the noise functions, the Marschner BRDF sampler, material shader and so on for the path tracer implementation. My model and material choices are ... programmer-y, largely because I was working with 5 alpha material presets, some random .obj:s I had on my drive and our testing framework. I could probably do better with the actual release even with my anemic design skills but that would be cheating.

Turns out making everything appear carved out of single solid blocks of wood makes it look like you're post some artisanal and particularly hipster sort of apocalypse. Also, I should use less dof.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That shader is soooo pretty. Can you do any more examples of silly all wood things?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

This is more stuff I worked on in July but our procedural wood got released this weekend! :toot: I didn't contribute much to the overall material model beyond a few very minor tweaks, but I did code the noise functions, the Marschner BRDF sampler, material shader and so on for the path tracer implementation. My model and material choices are ... programmer-y, largely because I was working with 5 alpha material presets, some random .obj:s I had on my drive and our testing framework. I could probably do better with the actual release even with my anemic design skills but that would be cheating.

Turns out making everything appear carved out of single solid blocks of wood makes it look like you're post some artisanal and particularly hipster sort of apocalypse. Also, I should use less dof.

can i have permission to use this as my okcupid avatar

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

procedural wood

Oh baby, this gives me serious procedural wood.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The two floating pieces at the back aren't really helping the illusion.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

MrMoo posted:

The two floating pieces at the back aren't really helping the illusion.

Looks like they're sitting on the ground, you can see the reflection of the one on the left.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
We're banking on good overlap between wood fetishists and cad users, clearly that's working out.

Obsurveyor posted:

Looks like they're sitting on the ground, you can see the reflection of the one on the left.

Nah, there's totally a bunch of junk just floating in midair for that shot. Also, the exhaust isn't connected and is intersecting the drive band thing. It's a random model from some test suite.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I''m relearning C++ by writing an Apple I emulator. It has... a few issues.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I''m relearning C++ by writing an Apple I emulator. It has... a few issues.

Your computer needs to lay off the weed :350:

Shouldn't be too hard to just reverse the instructions right? :cheeky:

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I would like to play that. Yes, I would.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Thank you. Little confidence boosts like that really keep ya going. You will be able to. 2016 on Steam, hopefully!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

code:
point: {(y;pn[f%20;0.3*x;0.1*y]*-18*sin y*pi%100)}
line:  {((30;x)+)'point[x]'!100}
draw:  {,(,/line'38+6*!16;cga;1)}

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Exciting screenshot!

(I just got my JavaScript S-SMP emulator working. This coprocessor is a loving beast. Imagine a crazy as gently caress DSP hooked up to a bootleg 6502 with tons of wacky enhancements. Sony knew what they were doing.)

http://magcius.github.io/spc.js/spc.html

It pauses every now and then because the CPU is being driven by setTimeout, not the Web Audio API. And it's also faster than you remember because I'm feeding it 32kHz audio and your browser likes 44.1kHz or 48kHz instead.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Cool. But did you bookmark the page?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Exciting screenshot!

(I just got my JavaScript S-SMP emulator working. This coprocessor is a loving beast. Imagine a crazy as gently caress DSP hooked up to a bootleg 6502 with tons of wacky enhancements. Sony knew what they were doing.)

http://magcius.github.io/spc.js/spc.html

It pauses every now and then because the CPU is being driven by setTimeout, not the Web Audio API. And it's also faster than you remember because I'm feeding it 32kHz audio and your browser likes 44.1kHz or 48kHz instead.

Please use requestAnimationFrame instead of setTimeout so it loses focus gracefully

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
RAF is also wrong for sound-based callbacks. I need to drive it from the AudioContext, but I was just too lazy to do that at 3AM last night when I was writing the demo up.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Yay, Haxe!

(An underloved language and toolset, IMHO).

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

minidracula posted:

Yay, Haxe!

(An underloved language and toolset, IMHO).

I can only agree.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Just tinkering around...

I have to confess that Internet Janitor's continued interest in K/Q/Kona/oK and posting about it is one of the things that's keeping me coming back to J, K/Q, and now actual APL on a more consistent cadence than I previously kept (maybe once a year or longer between fiddles). Thanks Internet Janitor!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I made a thread for APL-family languages you might enjoy checking out.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Firefox and Chrome have quite an odd event loop which can also process tasks, delayed tasks, and idle tasks. The DevTools interface uses this task feature to communicate between threads and an internal HTTP server, I have cloned this functionality in a very simple market data land app. There are two completely independent threads, one consuming market data (AAPL, MSFT) and storing a cached copy, and one providing copies of a CoW snapshot of the cached copy. I don't want both threads to stall when querying instrumentation and I don't want to be completely mental and have a separate HTTP server for each thread, just the provider. So the HTTP frontend queries over a web socket for provider and consumer thread information, the provider thread can reply immediately, the consumer thread request is enqueued as an asynchronous task. When the consumer thread has finished processing incoming data it executes any tasks, one such is to query the thread instrumentation (which thus does not requiring any locking or synchronization), serializes into JSON and punts back a new task to the provider thread as another asynchronous task. The provider thread then wakes up reads the JSON response and forwards over the web socket.

C++ code:
  // The anatomy of a typical run loop:
  //
  //   for (;;) {
  //     bool did_work = DoInternalWork();
  //     if (should_quit_)
  //       break;
  //
  //     did_work |= delegate_->DoWork();
  //     if (should_quit_)
  //       break;
  //
  //     TimeTicks next_time;
  //     did_work |= delegate_->DoDelayedWork(&next_time);
  //     if (should_quit_)
  //       break;
  //
  //     if (did_work)
  //       continue;
  //
  //     did_work = delegate_->DoIdleWork();
  //     if (should_quit_)
  //       break;
  //
  //     if (did_work)
  //       continue;
  //
  //     WaitForWork();
  //   }

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 12, 2015

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I made a website for asking/answering questions about feature parity across languages and/or frameworks as a side project. Hopefully some of you can find use in it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Literally Elvis posted:

I made a website for asking/answering questions about feature parity across languages and/or frameworks as a side project. Hopefully some of you can find use in it.

I like the idea, but I feel this shouldn't be shown on page load for a split second

Especially when you're then swapping to a "Log in" page immediately. Seems like something's being served up when it shouldn't be.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Looks like AngularJS being AngularJS. :barf:

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Literally Elvis posted:

The ad on the unanswered questions list covers up the bottommost two questions on my screen.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dicking around with my terrain generator. I got rivers working! Kinda...

It picks a random point, and assigns it a flow value. A pixel with flow value 3 will flow to the 3 lowest adjacent pixels. Pixels with flow 1 never exhaust and just flow until they have nowhere to flow to. It does this for however many water sources are specified on the setup tab.

Next step is to implement pooling when a river hits a low point with no lower neighbor pixels. Then I can figure out outflow from lakes and the rivers may eventually hit the goddamn ocean at a rate higher than 1 in 8. The realistic/logical way to accomplish that goal is to somehow model erosion such that rivers carve their own channels to the sea, but pfffft, gently caress that.

I'm pretty pleased with this shitheap considering how little actual design went into it.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 16, 2015

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Rahu posted:

I am not very far into this yet, but I'm working on a Cycles renderer plugin for 3ds max.

So far I can get the camera transform (almost) set up right and render all the meshes in the scene at their correct transforms and object color (but not any real materials). I also have progressive rendering working because cycles gave that to me for basically no work.

Up next is the long slog of mapping max materials to cycles shaders.

Small update on the progress I've made here since october.

I've rewritten basically everything as I didn't have a good handle on the max API at first. Now that I do I've been able to reogranize all my bits and bobs in a better way.

I also gave up on the effort to map max materials because that was really just a mess. I have a bad approximation of the standard material in and I'm working on building support for the native cycles material types in the max node editor.

Recently, I added the emissive material as well as support for most of Max's native texture types like bitmaps, which together allowed me to produce this art!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what is that texture, i like it

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

double post thanks firefox

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Dicking around with my terrain generator. I got rivers working! Kinda...

I always wanted to build a terrain generator. Do you have any recommendation on articles/tutorials?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Suspicious Dish posted:

what is that texture, i like it

It's Fiesta Cat, a goon-made meme destined for success. http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=16

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
nice, nice. i use a random file i found on my hard drive one day called "Craig.jpg" that i've never been able to find the source of, as my test texture

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

HardDisk posted:

I always wanted to build a terrain generator. Do you have any recommendation on articles/tutorials?

there's a ridiculous amount of professional AND hobby-level content out there, but this is as good a place to start as any: http://vterrain.org/Elevation/Artificial/

e: this, along with most of what Amit put up, is also great and probably more current (I couldn't find the link before): http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/

Hubis fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 18, 2015

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Maide posted:

It's Fiesta Cat, a goon-made meme destined for success. http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=16

I had totally forgotten about this FAMOUS INTERNET MEME until that image.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HardDisk posted:

As far as generating the base heightmap, I have no references and no plan. I just do stuff and sometimes it works. The implementations of perlin and simplex noise presumably came from the internet at some point in the past four or so years. I found them on an old hard drive and started this project on a whim.

The terrain in that screenshot is 5 layer of simplex noise, each with twice the frequency and half the amplitude of the previous, and each with a random seed. I assigned colors to arbitrary height ranges--picking colors to make it look terrainy--but it's still basically just a heightmap.

I stumbled on this page about erosion modeling algorithms the other day but haven't tried any of them yet. They seem surprisingly simple.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Jewel posted:

I like the idea, but I feel this shouldn't be shown on page load for a split second

Especially when you're then swapping to a "Log in" page immediately. Seems like something's being served up when it shouldn't be.
Thanks for the helpful criticism. I took the time this weekend to create a version of the site that is almost entirely rendered server-side, so while there might be a couple of places where the flash of un-angularized content still comes up, I think I've mostly alleviated those issues. Now comes just using the site and seeing what is broken with any regularity.

Sebbe posted:

The ad on the unanswered questions list covers up the bottommost two questions on my screen.
That's the nature of ads, I suppose, but I made the containing div have a white background so they don't peek out from the bottom.

Oh and I made the repo public on Github, so anybody can submit issues there and i'll try to address them. I refactored a huge chunk of the app and got rid of a bunch of routes, so if there's something I didn't test for, please feel free to let me know.