Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It took me about 3 hours, but I was finally able to successfully UV unwrap a cube in Blender, make a texture, and get it into my engine.

I also implemented an FPS camera this week, and that was a lot of fun.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sure if you want a bunch of PPU code that doesn't work! I wrote the 6502 core for an Apple I emulator that I wrote that does work but I never finished adapting it for NES emulation.

https://github.com/Luigi30/nessarabia

The PPU is surprisingly easy to build once you understand how name tables, pattern tables and such work. Sampling for the APU? Bit trickier in my opinion.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

I just started working on something every programmer ought to once in their life: a tetris clone. Yeah, I know. The difference is this one is being done in Haskell.

I gotta say, it is quite a mind bending exercise.

Oh, and, pieces can only rotate for now, still a ways to go. v:shobon:v

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Aurium posted:

I really want to stir this with my mouse.

Unfortunately that's probably not going to happen. The fluid-like movement is faked, so it would be hard to have something external affect it.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Here's something I've been working on for a while -Protect the Freedom Wall! :

The slow motion-ish effect is a result of the GIF capture software - its much smoother when just playing the game

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Plumps posted:

Here's something I've been working on for a while -Protect the Freedom Wall! :

The slow motion-ish effect is a result of the GIF capture software - its much smoother when just playing the game

Slow motion on explosions is cool, you should implement it.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

ErIog posted:

Slow motion on explosions is cool, you should implement it.

"Its not lag, its a feature" ?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Plumps posted:

I was kind of joking, but also not really joking.

Presentation is important, and a slight bit of slowdown at key places can help make things feel like they hit harder. Zelda has done this for a long time and modern bullet hell games use synthetic slowdown as a kind of balancing measure when there's a lot of stuff on the screen.

Think of it like screen shake, but for your game timer. Too much would be obnoxious, of course, but it always felt weird to me when I was running Lemmings on modern hardware that I could explode a zillion of them without the game slowing down. Having the game slow down when there were lots of explosions felt more like stuff really was being wrecked.

Fooling around with octrees. Those green cubes were supposed to be inside those red cubes.

I eventually figured it out, but pictures where stuff goes right are inherently boring since my project is boring.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 30, 2016

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Well I started and finished this yesterday.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Plumps posted:

I agree, it kicks rear end. It really gives the impression of "hitting harder".

ndb
Aug 25, 2005

I'm creating a toy interpreter for a language that I've created on a whim. I'm going to use it to create IF games with, because I have issues with most types of IF languages.

What I have isn't that exciting, but at least the interpreter part is working. Or at least the interpretation of the two most basic line types.

That's from this result of code:

code:
Type R
R::foo is number
R::foo is 6

R someObject
someObject::foo is 9

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I agree, it kicks rear end. It really gives the impression of "hitting harder".

I've been spending ages trying to get uniform performace on different machines, I never thought of adding artificial slow-mo. Although where it is now I could just leave that to the code/cpu botlleneck that happens when too many bits are flying around.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

ndb posted:

I'm creating a toy interpreter for a language that I've created on a whim. I'm going to use it to create IF games with, because I have issues with most types of IF languages.

What I have isn't that exciting, but at least the interpreter part is working. Or at least the interpretation of the two most basic line types.

That's from this result of code:

code:
Type R
R::foo is number
R::foo is 6

R someObject
someObject::foo is 9

Creating your own language is no small feat, and the syntax is very readable so far. I wouldn't mind hearing what your goals are for this engine. Interactive Fiction is the best.

ndb
Aug 25, 2005

Nude posted:

Creating your own language is no small feat, and the syntax is very readable so far. I wouldn't mind hearing what your goals are for this engine. Interactive Fiction is the best.

The initial goal was to make it so that the language is easy to read and easy to write. The Inform language, I believe, is easy to read, but a killer to write - plus it relies too much on English syntax.

The goal for my language is to introduce a new syntax that makes it easier for anyone to write code, the language is object oriented and static typing to help with mental models.

The engine itself is event-based, so that'll allow a lot of customizability. For instance, if you want to make it so that you have a hook in a room, you can make it so that you can hang your clothing off the hook, or take it off of the wall and use it as a weapon. It's all up to the programmer.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Are you planning on designing your compiler to export files which are usable by the Z-Machine or the TADS vm?

ndb
Aug 25, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Are you planning on designing your compiler to export files which are usable by the Z-Machine or the TADS vm?

At this phase, I'm just concentrating on creating an online interpreter. I am planning on designing a more traditional compiler that will export files to probably Z-machine, but I haven't fully decided yet.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

So I've finished the demo of this and put it up of itch.io - is it ok to link it here?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Plumps posted:

So I've finished the demo of this and put it up of itch.io - is it ok to link it here?
You'll note I now lack a mod star, so my word is far from law, but it's almost certainly fine. Nobody is going to hit you for self promo rules, you've been here more than long enough / you're part of the community.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 3, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll just go ahead and do the needful.

https://chunkblaster.itch.io/defend-the-freedom-wall

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
thanks

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
My rust chip8 emulator is working somewhat:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 6, 2016

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I approve of these test programs.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Plumps posted:

The blood spatter is my favorite part, it's like art

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Factor Mystic posted:

This is a 404. Is the repo private or something?

Yeah, sorry.

In the meantime, I've been reliving 1994 with Open Watcom. (I am not an art.)

I've also got drawing code that allows for 2D wireframe shapes with up to 64 vertices and janky PCX loading code.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Spent 2 days modifying my first person camera into a third person camera. My little cheese wedge was doing an all-around poor job of both moving in the direction the camera is facing and also facing that direction itself. Finally sorted it out, though.

Also finished, but not pictured, I have sphere/plane collision working properly so my little cheese wedge can march itself up and down inclines and fall off the edge of the world. The code is spaghetti right now, but I think I can give everything a good refactoring now that I know what's what.

I'm also still brute force testing my collision instead of using my octree implementation because it was impossible to untangle what was an octree bug versus what was an actual collision bug when I was trying to hammer out my actual collision code. So I need to turn that back on and integrate it with the collision system.

I'm almost ready to make a very rudimentary thing with it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 8, 2016

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, sorry.

In the meantime, I've been reliving 1994 with Open Watcom. (I am not an art.)

I've also got drawing code that allows for 2D wireframe shapes with up to 64 vertices and janky PCX loading code.

I'd love to see this, if you don't mind!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Neurion posted:

I'd love to see this, if you don't mind!

The code's a total mess since I'm learning as I go but here you go. I'm most proud of the UI widgets.

e: Well, it's missing the Watcom project file... but you can just add all the files to a DOS4/GW project in Watcom and compile it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Plumps posted:

This is amazing and I love you.

What did you write it in, by the way?

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

The Wizard of Poz posted:

This is amazing and I love you.

What did you write it in, by the way?

Well thanks!

Its made in Game Maker Studio - my first attempt at making a 'real' game, besides text adventures in QBASIC in the 90s.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Uh oh :shobon:

code:

of  Step Event0
for object oBombLauncher:

Unable to find any instance for object index '84' name 'oBombLine'
at gml_Script_BombLaunchChecker
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_BombLaunchChecker (line 0)
gml_Object_oBombLauncher_Step_0

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

KARMA! posted:

Uh oh :shobon:

code:

of  Step Event0
for object oBombLauncher:

Unable to find any instance for object index '84' name 'oBombLine'
at gml_Script_BombLaunchChecker
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_BombLaunchChecker (line 0)
gml_Object_oBombLauncher_Step_0

uh oh indeed...... I really thought I'd caught all of these
can you give me any more details - what system were you running it on, what was happening at the time so I can try to recreate it?

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

I couldn't replicate the exact error, but I did find a similar one - I've fixed it and updated.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

That Haskell Tetris I was working on mostly works now. I'm too lazy to make victory / defeat conditions, so I'm going to declare it Good Enough™. Also, I'm not a good Tetris player.

(For some reason, this gif fucks up the green colored tiles :saddowns:)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
This is a stupid simple utility that I'm now really glad to have. I call it "catpicture" and it's a tool to cat pictures to the command line. I spend a lot of time SSH-ed into remote machines doing ML or image processing, and I hate having to pull down a picture just to see if it's garbage. This tool will take (either via stdin or the args) an image and dump a rescaled version to the terminal using ANSI colors.

It also has support for cropping a region, outputting a different size, or using true color. I'm going to eventually add some basic edge detection so it looks higher resolution and a feature to allow just the background to be filled (so you don't get the artifacts from '#').

You can also call it with just raw data and it will do its best. Need to add aspect ratio check.

Jo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 10, 2016

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Jo posted:

This is a stupid simple utility that I'm now really glad to have. I call it "catpicture" and it's a tool to cat pictures to the command line. I spend a lot of time SSH-ed into remote machines doing ML or image processing, and I hate having to pull down a picture just to see if it's garbage. This tool will take (either via stdin or the args) an image and dump a rescaled version to the terminal using ANSI colors.

It also has support for cropping a region, outputting a different size, or using true color. I'm going to eventually add some basic edge detection so it looks higher resolution and a feature to allow just the background to be filled (so you don't get the artifacts from '#').

You can also call it with just raw data and it will do its best. Need to add aspect ratio check.

Can't you set the bg color instead and just print spaces so you get blocks of color rather than '#'?

e: I also made a tool like this some time ago :shobon:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You should probably have a neural network that chooses the (glyph, fgcolor, bgcolor) combo that will be perceived as most similar to the source image. With unicode you can probably really out-do aalib. ;)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

taqueso posted:

You should probably have a neural network that chooses the (glyph, fgcolor, bgcolor) combo that will be perceived as most similar to the source image. With unicode you can probably really out-do aalib. ;)

That's precisely my plan. In v1 (done this evening) I just wanted to get image reading and console wiring working. I'm new to Rust, so it is still a bit of an up hill battle. V2 I'll do some simple edge detection and add the option to show just the background. V3 I'll get fancy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

sweet rust-buddy :hf:

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Jo posted:

This is a stupid simple utility that I'm now really glad to have. I call it "catpicture" and it's a tool to cat pictures to the command line.

Can it render cat pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Jo posted:

This is awesome please put it on the internet when you're done with it I will totally use this thing all the time.