Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I started to poke around with Xcode and SDL, and I've got this Dr. Mario-style game going. I just have the sprites and movement going, up next is adding sound effects and actually making the pieces disappear when you line 4 (or more) of the same color up.

I plan on writing a little how-to on 2D game programming basics for the Mac and putting all the source code up online when I'm done.

I wish I had more time to work on this, between a job and everything, if I get one little thing accomplished each day I feel happy. I wish for a long rainy Saturday. I hope to give it a scoring system, menu, and demo mode just like a real game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bob Morales posted:

I plan on writing a little how-to on 2D game programming basics for the Mac and putting all the source code up online when I'm done.

Oh yes this sounds amazing, I've been looking for a guide to get me into doing this. Would you mind providing a link when and if you get it done?

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Are you just doing this with Quartz2D or what? Also, how are you handling input?

It was written in Java, because I move between my Mac laptop and a windows desktop, depending on my mood and whether or not I want to listen to my roommates watch stupid poo poo on TV.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tef posted:

I got it under 1k, it uses a hilbert curve to draw the mandelbrot now :3:

It was accepted :toot: :woop: http://js1k.com/demo/506

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Just your normal raytracer.

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting

Foiltha posted:

Just your normal raytracer.
This looks nice and crisp as opposed to the terrible crap that spews out when I write a raytracer. What's the secret?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

subpixel rendering maybe?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Yeah, he likely put some thought into how he's sampling each pixel. If you're interested, the sample chapter of Physically Based Rendering discusses sampling theory in the context of a raytracer.

edit: or, he just rendered it at a higher resolution and scaled the image down in Photoshop before uploading it v:v:v

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

tef posted:

It was accepted :toot: :woop: http://js1k.com/demo/506

Congrats!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tripwire posted:

Congrats!

Typically, the moment I finish I change something. So I added keybindings for up and down arrow, and re-centered it around something a little more interesting.

http://secretvolcanobase.org/~tef/js1k.html

I should stop posting about this now.

Edit

http://js1k.com/demo/570 now online

tef fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 30, 2010

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Seawaffle posted:

This looks nice and crisp as opposed to the terrible crap that spews out when I write a raytracer. What's the secret?

The 2 guys after you had it right. I used supersampling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersampling) with 4 samples per pixel for that render. The basic idea is to cast more than one primary ray per pixel and calculate an average from the results to form the final color for the pixel. How you choose to calculate the direction of the sub pixel rays is up to you. I took the laziest way out and distributed the sample points by using a uniform grid. The grid doesn't provide the best results (jittering would be better I think) but it's really trivial to implement.

Edit: I just remembered I did also scale it down with Photoshop because the original render is too wide to post :downs: However, the aliasing is not noticeable in the original either.

Foiltha fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 30, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quiggy posted:

Oh yes this sounds amazing, I've been looking for a guide to get me into doing this. Would you mind providing a link when and if you get it done?

Here's what I have so far. Oldest items are at the bottom, so start there!

http://isovega.net/macgameprog/index.php?blogid=1&archive=2010-08

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Writing a roguelike in Common Lisp. The green are bands of radiation across the desert.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Panic! at the Fist Jab posted:

Writing a roguelike in Common Lisp. The green are bands of radiation across the desert.

What system/implementation/libraries are you using? I've spent weekends trying to find something that works well, there always seem to be a snag somewhere with those cffi libs.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Beef posted:

What system/implementation/libraries are you using? I've spent weekends trying to find something that works well, there always seem to be a snag somewhere with those cffi libs.

I'm very much a noob at it, but I'm using Emacs23+SLIME with SBCL. The library I'm using is the CL bindings to the libtcod graphics library. I'm using this repo, but as I googled for it just now, turns out there's a better maintained version here. If you've never used TCOD before, it's terrific. Noise generators, pathfinders, configuration parsing, bitmap-to-grid, simple timing, color blending, the works.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

It may only be a simple tile-based game, but this is the first time I've ever done stuff like A* searching and Flood Filling. It's not much to look at, but I'm pleased to be moving onto more interesting stuff than
code:
class Cat : public Animal

Click here for the full 628x506 image.

Unfortunately, there's still a weird bug with the Flood Filling whenever I start exactly two tiles above or below a wall ( but not when it's to either side ).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beef posted:

I highly recommend you check out libtcod, which has official bindings in C, C++, and Python. It's pretty good for rapid roguelike development, although anyone familiar enough with the genre will immediately be able to tell that you're using that library for your game. I've got a pet project I'm working on off and on that uses libtcod, and it is glorious.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Been working on a GIF-oriented imagehost. Spent about 6 hours learning the intricacies of the gif format so I could turn a full-framed, huge-in-filesize gif and summarize it in a nice small comic-strip-style jpg (I'd do png but jpg compresses a lot better for the image content). Most of the gif conversion stuff is running in pure php (with a little GD in there where it made my life easier. It didn't make my life easier most of the time).

Also finally got around to figuring out templating so now I can get a real web design up there eventually. More non-technical details in the TFF post.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Just finished beta 2 of my shader editor for Unity 3. It's coming along very well. Lots of GUI rework and stuff behind the scenes. I'm happy with how it's coming along. It's great to have something out there that people use.

If you are a user of unity you can find it here:

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Crossposting from the iPad Apps & Games thread. I ended up writing a recipe manager for the iPad after not finding any that I liked.

Features:
  • Built in web browser that lets you auto import recipes from most major sites.
    Usually I end up Googling for something and want to be able to save it for later, so it's really the main feature of the app.

• Ability to type in your own custom recipes in a fairly easy manner.
    (I'm surprised how cumbersome the process is on some of the apps out there.)

• Clipboard tools so you can copy and paste a photo/name/ingredients/directions from any website and use it to create a new recipe.
    For when you're reading a random food blog (or GWS) and come across an interesting recipe you want to save.

• A grocery list that lets you add recipe ingredients as well as your own custom items.
    (Because sometimes you need to buy things at the grocery store beyond what's in your recipes.)

• When viewing a recipe, most of the space is reserved for displaying the ingredients and directions.
    (Cause you're trying to cook, damnit, and not having to constantly scroll the screen helps a lot.)

• You can prevent the screen from turning off while you're viewing a recipe.
    (Cause there's nothing worse than having to 'Swipe to Unlock' your iPad when your hands are covered in flour/grease/chicken/etc.)

• Fully customizable categories, search, favorites, and email recipes.
    (Stuff you expect to see in any recipe app.)

A few screens (click for big):

Recipes List and Recipe View

Browser and Grocery List

It's getting pretty close to completion, and I'm looking for a few testers, so PM me if you'd like to help! I'd also love any feedback/thoughts/suggestions you guys have.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 6, 2010

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Strumpy posted:

Just finished beta 2 of my shader editor for Unity 3. It's coming along very well. Lots of GUI rework and stuff behind the scenes. I'm happy with how it's coming along. It's great to have something out there that people use.

If you are a user of unity you can find it here:

I'm pretty sure you posted other screenshots of this in the thread, and I may have replied, but to reiterate: I love this poo poo.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

NoDamage posted:

Crossposting from the iPad Apps & Games thread. I ended up writing a recipe manager for the iPad after not finding any that I liked.

Wow, that is extremely slick and professional looking. Very well done.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
NoDamage: Do you actually parse the ingredient quantities? It would be really neat to be able to switch units or modify the number of servings and have the app recalculate all the measures automatically.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Internet Janitor posted:

NoDamage: Do you actually parse the ingredient quantities? It would be really neat to be able to switch units or modify the number of servings and have the app recalculate all the measures automatically.
Not right now, although I'll probably try adding it later on (doing a bunch of string parsing in Objective-C isn't exactly the most exciting task ever).

It's one of those situations where I don't want to do it unless I can do it well - a half-assed implementation won't really be all that useful.

That said, I agree that being able to switch units or scale the recipe would be pretty sweet.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

Ugg boots posted:

I'm pretty sure you posted other screenshots of this in the thread, and I may have replied, but to reiterate: I love this poo poo.

He did. I still think the node flow is completely retarded (see my earlier posts for explanations) but otherwise it's cool as hell.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 4, 2020

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Still working on my game which loads FO:T graphics as placeholder.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lexical Unit posted:

NoDamage, awesome app. Looks like it's specifically for the iPad; are you planning on a iPhone version? Another nice feature would be to generate shopping lists from a set of selected recipes. If you could intelligently combine them into one list, that'd be perfect.

I like to plan what I'm going to be cooking for the week and get it all at once, so I'd use a feature like that pretty much every day I went out for groceries.

Observe the bottom right screenshot.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Lexical Unit posted:

NoDamage, awesome app. Looks like it's specifically for the iPad; are you planning on a iPhone version? Another nice feature would be to generate shopping lists from a set of selected recipes. If you could intelligently combine them into one list, that'd be perfect.

I like to plan what I'm going to be cooking for the week and get it all at once, so I'd use a feature like that pretty much every day I went out for groceries.
Yeah, I do plan on doing an iPhone version (assuming there's enough interest), and syncing data between the two.

Obviously it's a lot more convenient to be able to pull up your grocery list on your phone than having it on the iPad itself.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I was getting sick of maintaining three different lighting systems and not being able to do mesh lighting because of architectural limitations, so I devised some clever solutions to some of the quirkier poo poo with photon mapping and started a new general-purpose light tool:

Click here for the full 800x450 image.

Unlike the old lighting tool, this toy is entirely built around UV-map based lightmaps so it can handle any lightmap projection on any geometry. That means anything that exports to its geometry format could use it for lighting. It's also fully multi-threaded, and uses disk caching extensively so it's disk-bound rather than memory-bound.

(And yeah I know the edges are dark, I haven't implemented the feature that will prevent those yet)

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick
While implementing a multithreaded version of Conway's game of life, I decided to see what kind of world would arise if I let each cell update its state as soon as its next state is finished being calculated ( opposed to all cells updating their state at the end of a single round/step after everything has been evaluated).

The R-G-B values of each pixel are shaded as such:
R: shaded 0 (no red) if the pixel does not contain a live cell, or 255 (full red) if it does.
G: shaded 0 through 255, increased by 1 each round this pixel contains a live cell (%255 for overflow).
B: shaded 0 through 255, increased by 1 each time a live cell is born at this pixel (%255 for overflow).

It forms more interesting things than blobs, but its interesting that most blobs will shoot gliders and other familiar conway structures as they grow outward.

Click here for the full 1440x827ish image.

gently caress jpeg encoding for messing with the colors

Click here for the full 1440x827 image.

Surface fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 7, 2010

deck
Jul 13, 2006

How are you scheduling the updates? I'm guessing gliders survive because they're usually small structures surrounded by empty space, and empty space doesn't become inconsistent if processed out of order.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

NoDamage posted:

Features:
  • Built in web browser that lets you auto import recipes from most major sites.
    Usually I end up Googling for something and want to be able to save it for later, so it's really the main feature of the app.

• Ability to type in your own custom recipes in a fairly easy manner.
    (I'm surprised how cumbersome the process is on some of the apps out there.)

• Clipboard tools so you can copy and paste a photo/name/ingredients/directions from any website and use it to create a new recipe.
    For when you're reading a random food blog (or GWS) and come across an interesting recipe you want to save.

• A grocery list that lets you add recipe ingredients as well as your own custom items.
    (Because sometimes you need to buy things at the grocery store beyond what's in your recipes.)

• When viewing a recipe, most of the space is reserved for displaying the ingredients and directions.
    (Cause you're trying to cook, damnit, and not having to constantly scroll the screen helps a lot.)

• You can prevent the screen from turning off while you're viewing a recipe.
    (Cause there's nothing worse than having to 'Swipe to Unlock' your iPad when your hands are covered in flour/grease/chicken/etc.)

• Fully customizable categories, search, favorites, and email recipes.
    (Stuff you expect to see in any recipe app.)

A few screens (click for big):

Recipes List and Recipe View

Browser and Grocery List

It's getting pretty close to completion, and I'm looking for a few testers, so PM me if you'd like to help! I'd also love any feedback/thoughts/suggestions you guys have.

This is really awesome, great work I'd use that but I have no iPhone/iPad, any chance for an android version sometimes? ;)

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Working on (another) update to the Patriots 2010 season app for iPhone. This one is actually going to have a play-by-play feed during games. Still totally free. I'm not sure if any other NFL team apps do this.

Video (framerate on the phone is much smoother) - http://screencast.com/t/NDc2MTQ4Mz

Can't wait to get it out and see what people think of it.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 4, 2020

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

(And yeah I know the edges are dark, I haven't implemented the feature that will prevent those yet)

That's basically the form-factor between the patches converging to infinity, right?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

shodanjr_gr posted:

That's basically the form-factor between the patches converging to infinity, right?
No, photon mapping gathers photons in a collection radius, so the problem is collection points near the edges include areas where there is no geometry for photons to hit.

The solution is to determine the area of the geometry contained within the collection sphere. There's a proper way to calculate that but it's kind of annoying, so for now it just uses pi*r^2 for the valid area factor.

There are some other side-effects to doing this "properly", like spatially-dense geometry (ridges, spikes) doesn't wind up excessively bright, and photon impacts can be partitioned by smoothing group instead of maintaining one hit catalog for the entire scene or bleeding over "sharp" edges.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 7, 2010

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

pee posted:

How are you scheduling the updates? I'm guessing gliders survive because they're usually small structures surrounded by empty space, and empty space doesn't become inconsistent if processed out of order.

I can't remember the setup that generated those specific screen shots, but I think I essentially had each thread evaluating from pixels 0 to N as so:

for( int i = 0 + threadOffset; i < N ; i = i+ numThreads );

Though by the time I took those screen shots I may have been having too much fun and so started doing additional odd things.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've finally released what I'd been working on for a long time (having posted several screenshots here over the past could of months).

http://www.zaxportal.com

It's the first time I've ever used myBB, so I'm doing my best to work with it.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisOfPathos
May 10, 2007
Damn good device.
The last couple of weeks I've been working for a computer demo as intro for a LAN party.

My idea was to start with a standard Philips TV test pattern which then turns out to be a 3D structure which the camera flies around, and then something else happens.

So far I have this:

That is, some basic shapes with a shader to create that interlaced look. the waves are just a test of the beginnings to a VCR seek effect I'll need.

I'm using Clanlib, which seems pretty decent in all regards, but I've been stuck for the last couple of days, purely because of a lack of motivation (read: I'm lazy). FML.