Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I was sick of the ugly console interface for my map compiler so I made a front-end for it. And holy poo poo do I hate .NET now. (No, Microsoft, I do not want to make a delegate and a relay function and a method in the form just to change controls from other threads, nor do I want to write trivial conversion functions for converting char/wchar because ConvertAll doesn't have a default for trivial conversions, gently caress you)

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenos
Jun 17, 2005

I've been working on a Python web application that extracts data from a housing database called "StarRez", and turns it into various reports that the residence hall directors can access. I used TurboGears 2 and wrote a simple library that talks to our custom authentication backend. I didn't design the look-and-feel of the app, though. My highest-up boss likes to tell me that nobody's ever bothered to do this with StarRez before, but I really doubt it.

On the other hand, we're the only organization on campus running Python on the web right now :3:

Click here for the full 1112x682 image.

Xenos fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 17, 2009

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp
Japanese IME for western java cell phones

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

There we go. Color-corrected lighting and radiosity, much more accurate than doing it in gamma space:

Click here for the full 1031x800 image.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

There we go. Color-corrected lighting and radiosity, much more accurate than doing it in gamma space:

Click here for the full 1031x800 image.

Is that real time radiosity?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Quake 3's kind of popular here.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is that real time radiosity?
No, it's baked into the lightmaps.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Quake 3's kind of popular here.
The formats are easy, the engine's complete enough to make a game out of, which is what I'm trying to do. It's worlds easier to go with something that works and tune it to where it does what you need than to reinvent it all, unless there's some major fundamental flaw in the design.

The Quake 3 renderer got gutted a while ago, right now it's using my own rendering middleware thing (which contains no Quake 3 code or dependencies, the model viewer can load and render maps just fine for example), and the only rendering code left in Quake 3 is some basic setup stuff and some glue to the new renderer.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2008

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

No, it's baked into the lightmaps.

Bummer :(

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

Bummer :(
Real-time radiosity is probably never going to become worthwhile, the memory requirements to get it to go anywhere near fast are insane, and any change in the scene geometry requires a massive amount of computation time.

The best solutions at the moment to good ambient lighting are to either bake the ambient term and do the direct lighting in real-time, or use SSAO. SSAO works so well right now that just about all of the real-time ambient lighting stuff is now being focused on it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Real-time radiosity is probably never going to become worthwhile, the memory requirements to get it to go anywhere near fast are insane, and any change in the scene geometry requires a massive amount of computation time.
That's what ive been reading as well. I was just hoping for some experimental/proof of concept implementation, but oh-well...

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

shodanjr_gr posted:

That's what ive been reading as well. I was just hoping for some experimental/proof of concept implementation, but oh-well...
What about this?

deadjb
Aug 11, 2002

kalleboo posted:

This is kind of awesome.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Sagacity posted:

What about this?
Looks like that's done using a very sparse patch count and dynamically recalculating textures. The sectioning concept is actually kind of neat, since that would let you reduce memory requirements by a lot (transfers would be indexing a reduced target list instead of a global patch table), but the CPU needs are still pretty high. A core all to itself for 160 updates per second? Yikes. Looks like it calculates textures on the CPU so it probably hammers the bus as well.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

There's also this, which is very nice.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
Here are the fruits of my summer internship.

First, I spent a whole lot of time working on our new scripting tool. It is a very fancy-pants graph-driven system. The point is to try and make things easy for the artists. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I don't design it, I just implement... I wrote implementations for a bunch of basic logic nodes.

People wanted a way to know what is going on in the system so I wrote a node that just displays output on the screen or in the world. This is a very basic stop-gap solution until actual debugging capability is built.

Click here for the full 1280x600 image.

One of our bigger tools has it's own GUI engine written for it. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I did write this fancy tooltip control.

I also rewrote the combo box control to allow searching and nested entries. Some of the combos had hundreds of items, so this is a great help in finding what you want.

Click here for the full 800x1182 image.

Click here for the full 566x741 image.

This last thing I've been doing is an annotations/commenting system for the graphs.

Click here for the full 481x685 image.

I only have a week left, so I guess I'd better finish that up. They said I could stay and earn intern pay as long as I want, but they aren't hiring anybody right now. Kinda sucks, but I guess I'll have to start hunting for another gig.

I hope nobody at work recognizes this stuff. :ssh:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finally got file importing working, but I need to make auto text sizing on a row-by-row basis as resizing 2500 rows of cells takes forever.

Descenders still don't fit (but they don't fit in the rendering program either, so it's not an issue until that gets fixed anyway). Now I just need to re-save these in a new format, write a loader for the format, and then make all the editor features that I was supposed to make in the first place. And then kill myself.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006
Pretty boring screenshot, but it was fun to write:

Conway's Game of Life, written in Haskell using OpenGL.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Al Azif posted:

Pretty boring screenshot, but it was fun to write:

Conway's Game of Life, written in Haskell using OpenGL.

As someone who knows only the smallest bit about haskell, what would be different about writing a game of life implementation in it as opposed to in C?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tripwire posted:

As someone who knows only the smallest bit about haskell, what would be different about writing a game of life implementation in it as opposed to in C?

Writing anything with mutable state is non-trivial in haskell :v:

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
It's not a screenshot and I finished it a few days ago, but..
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/08/27/us/politics/20080827-dnc-voices.html

Working on something for fashion week now.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

tripwire posted:

It's probably not that different for something as simple and mostly-stateless as this. You don't need to do memory management. It's probably more succinct; the whole thing is only 113 lines, 70 of which are for the display.

Scaevolus posted:

Writing anything with mutable state is non-trivial in haskell :v:

It's not that bad. It helps that in Life the next generation is a pure function of the current one.

Here's the central piece of state in the program:

code:
advanceGen :: IORef Field -> IO ()
advanceGen field = do
  f <- get field
  field $= nextGen f

display field
  addTimerCallback 1000 (advanceGen field)
The only other impure functions are OpenGL stuff.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Al Azif posted:

It's probably not that different for something as simple and mostly-stateless as this. You don't need to do memory management. It's probably more succinct; the whole thing is only 113 lines, 70 of which are for the display.

It's not that bad. It helps that in Life the next generation is a pure function of the current one.

Here's the central piece of state in the program:

code:
advanceGen :: IORef Field -> IO ()
advanceGen field = do
  f <- get field
  field $= nextGen f

display field
  addTimerCallback 1000 (advanceGen field)
The only other impure functions are OpenGL stuff.
Wow, guess its time to start learning haskell.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm up to the point where all the bugs are in user input, and I have to figure out how to handle those. Finding mistakes in a text file is one thing, figuring out what the user intended is another.

PrObLeM
May 13, 2004
Slacker?
Here is a screenshot but the real thing is here: http://www.twiddeo.com/

Twiddeo is a powerful but simple service that let's you do one thing very well: Twitter updates with Video.

Upload from the web, your cameraphone and record from your webcam. That simple, that straightforward, that great!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Incrementing on my last post: Soft shadows.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Spent tonight trying to add more features to my iPhone game Hanoi Plus

Click here for the full 869x528 image.

HicRic
Dec 4, 2006
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.

OneEightHundred posted:

Incrementing on my last post: Soft shadows.

That looks lovely - what sort of techniques are you using to make it?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 4, 2020

KaeseEs
Feb 23, 2007

by Fragmaster
I hope you're doing work on the missiles and not the ship because otherwise :laugh:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

HicRic posted:

That looks lovely - what sort of techniques are you using to make it?
"Spawn more lights" :iamafag:

I can get away with it since direct lighting uses beamtree casting (which is really fast), for terrain I'll be using a blur kernel based on depth variance, since it's much slower and can actually record depth information properly which the beamtree caster can't really do without ridiculous memory consumption.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 4, 2020

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

kalleboo posted:

Some interface changes: I've unified the Kanji and Kaomoji apps so you can select a database, and also change the font size. It also now shows the current word in a different color so it's clearer what's going on.

kalleboo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 7, 2008

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

A smoke/fluid simulator I'm working on for a visualization course. Written in GLUT + GLUI.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I'm writing a logo interpreter in java script:

StickGuy
Dec 9, 2000

We are on an expedicion. Find the moon is our mission.

From Earth posted:

A smoke/fluid simulator I'm working on for a visualization course.
Using the rainbow color map in a visualization course is a bit :psyduck:.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

StickGuy posted:

Using the rainbow color map in a visualization course is a bit :psyduck:.

I didn't come up with the rainbow color map (it was already in the framework provided by the course teacher), but what's so strange about it?

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

From Earth posted:

A smoke/fluid simulator I'm working on for a visualization course. Written in GLUT + GLUI.

You're at TU/e, right? I probably know your professor.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Adhemar posted:

You're at TU/e, right? I probably know your professor.

Yeah, I am. The professors of the course are Westenberg and Van De Wetering.

StickGuy
Dec 9, 2000

We are on an expedicion. Find the moon is our mission.

From Earth posted:

I didn't come up with the rainbow color map (it was already in the framework provided by the course teacher), but what's so strange about it?
It artificially breaks up the image into different regions that may or may not correspond with actual regions in the data. There are also some issues with the perceived transitions between the colors not all being the same.

Look up the papers "Data visualization: the end of the rainbow" and "Rainbow Color Map (Still) Considered Harmful" for a more in depth explanation.

EDIT: The second article in particular has some great example images that show how the rainbow color map can be misleading.

StickGuy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

StickGuy posted:

It artificially breaks up the image into different regions that may or may not correspond with actual regions in the data. There are also some issues with the perceived transitions between the colors not all being the same.

Look up the papers "Data visualization: the end of the rainbow" and "Rainbow Color Map (Still) Considered Harmful" for a more in depth explanation.

EDIT: The second article in particular has some great example images that show how the rainbow color map can be misleading.

This is actually really good to know. I hadn't thought of that before, and now that I have read, it seems painfully obvious why it is bad. Good stuff.