Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Really? So is it because of Nintendo patents or internal industry politics and other assorted bullshit? Seems like a company could come in and make a sweet rear end set top box UI and just sweep the industry, much like Apple did with the iPhone. Do the box manufacturers have close ties with the networks or something? Heh can you even answer any of that?

Well, if you count HTPC boxes as STBs, then Microsoft did it back in 2003 with their Media Center system, which has always been smooth and fluid (in particular I prefer MCE2005 to Vista/7's WMC UI, largely the colour scheme: Blue+Green works better than Blue+Aqua).

I assume Microsoft already did this in "pure" STBs with their Mediaroom platform (the new name for MicrosoftTV), so far only a few STB manufacturers have actually implemented it (BT being one of them, for BTVision). I base this on how Mediaroom uses the same UI artwork as WMC. There's a video of it with the BT Vision skin on YouTube.

IRT your question: I understand that companies more concerned with immediate sales and profiteering (and pleasing non-technical execs who never actually use the product) would focus more on features and bullet-points that look good on paper. You can't put "smooth and functional, fluid low-latency UI" on the front of a TV or STB box, the only thing you could put is "SomeStupidTrademarkedName UI!" which is only the case with gimmicky UIs that are in many ways worse than what you'd expect (a la HTC's Windows Mobile alternative home-screens). It's just a matter of bosses deciding to spend developer resources on things deemed more important than UI latency. Patents don't come into this, I think he's just afraid of having to bad-mouth his bosses on a public forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Dr. Glasscock posted:

No iPhone 4 high-res support yet unfortunately (due to some of the libraries we are using that haven't been compiled for iOS 4.0 yet). It's a neat little app if you are a Pats fan. All the news content is directly aggregated from their main site, so it's not a bunch of neglected mobile-specific crap.

Is it true that in Handegg games (sorry, I refuse to call it "Football") that players and the ball are tracked using various technologies so their positionduring the game are continuously recorded? I've heard people speak of it, but don't know for sure.

I was wondering if maybe you could write an app that takes that data, and renders a 3D scene of the game on the iPhone so people can see how a match went (or is going, if the data is available live) without needing to burn through their data plan downloading actual video.

...just an idea. What do you think?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

OneEightHundred posted:

I think the best way to do Vuvuzela Hero would be trying to stop 6 Vuvuzelas from playing instead of making them play.

A game where you play a hidden sniper sneaking about on the TV camera gantries on the roof of the stadium, you will be paid a large sum by FIFA to eliminate each person in the 60,000-strong live audience caught playing a Vuvuzela.

The justification for back-story of the game hinges on the fact FIFA is opposed to introducing technology to the game (such as in this case, adding a simple anti-300kHz filter) and prefers to rely on the frailty of human agents, in this case: you.

Part of the challenge is spotting the difference between a bright orange vuvuzela and the bright orange beer industry whores.

...and since the scenes involve billions of polygons for each spectator and high-qualtiy scenery means you might get at most 0.001FPS making it even more challenging, and hence, fun to play!

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

tef posted:

I added coordinates and fixed some bugs.

Up and down should work to zoom in most browsers, but try scrolling :2bong: to zoom quickly in and out

Nice job, but I managed to break it by zooming in pretty far in the purple region to the right, eventually I stopped getting detail and it only rendered big blocky shapes. When I zoomed out it was just broken: things only appeared in lines.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

tef posted:

wooo, floating point.

I'm not sure how i'll deal with this :v:

FWIW, a friend of mine implemented Mandlebrot as a learning exercise for C#/WinForms... he didn't have this problem.

I haven't seen your source and I don't actually know how Mandlebrot is generated (omg), but I get the impression that you're re-using calculations from a lower-precision result in a higher-precision context. If a user zooms out, you should recalculate them appropriately.

...or something. It's about to hit 2am. I can't brain. I'm off to bed.