Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

netcat posted:

I also started working on a small roguelike a couple of days ago, and I'm quite liking how it is turning out so far. The dungeons are OK if a bit predictable, but I plan to have several dungeon types.

No line of sight:

Line of sight:

The "renderer" is fairly generic so I can port it to windows or make a tile version easy, if I wanted to.

The roguelike wiki contains a very simple and very effective algorithm for generating caves, using Cellular Automata. And in some personal experiments, I've noticed that you can even use Perlin Noise to create cave-like dungeons. That way you won't even have to store a map matrix, and your cave map can be as large as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006
Fantasy dungeon generator, you could use this in tabletop games. All the textures are procedural, there is no file input at all.

Click here for the full 576x864 image.

A random world map generator, fantasy style. Fully procedural.

Click here for the full 1000x1000 image.

It also generates provinces on the map.

Click here for the full 1000x1000 image.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Hubis posted:

Neato! What's the method for the province generator, out of curiosity?

I first seed a bunch of province center points, at a minimum distance from one another. Then I create a Voronoi diagram on the raster, so each land pixel gets an owner. I do this on the raster because I'm too lazy to implement the geometric algorithm, but also because this helps me cope with jagged coastlines. This voronoi raster implicitly gives me the delaunay triangulation, i.e. a graph of which province neighbours which others. I then create borders by connecting the midpoints of the edges and the triangles formed in the delaunay triangulation. I also add the points where the voronoi pixel borders hit the coastlines. I then split up those borders into tiny segments, and apply some noise on them so that I get jagged borders. Then I assign all pixels that changed hands with this method.

The province generation is independent of the geography generation (which is plain old perlin noise), so that's why I have to do all those tricks. If you turn stuff around, and generate geography based on random provinces, you probably get an easier algorithm and better looking borders, but less plausible geography.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

bgreman posted:

Are there any parameters for the province borders to represent, say, straight line borders? Think of the U.S. state borders. Some use natural boundaries, others use arbitrary surveying markers (lines of latitude, longitude, etc).

I haven't explored that, because I have mostly fantasy-themed things in mind for now (in spite of the fact that another terrain generator I wrote is used in my modern-themed political game). It should be possible but it's not trivial to implement.

leedo posted:

Great info! I started writing a Risk clone in perl6 a while back. After I got all the rules implemented I started thinking about how to generate a map and hit a bit of a brick wall.

This is exactly the kind of project you could use this stuff for. If you want more info just shoot met an email at "lievenswouter" on google mail.

jonnii posted:

You don't have PMs enabled, can you send me an email? I have a few questions for you! me [at] jonnii [dot] com.

sent

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Snodar posted:

What I'm working on today is a simple dungeon crawl mapper. I'm wanting to replay games like Wizardry, but I don't look forward to using graph paper, so I'm yelling at JavaScript/HTML/CSS until it occasionally does what I want.

Scroll up and check out my dungeon. I'll roll you a set if you want them :-)

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Supervillin posted:

The beginnings of a JavaScript isometric map generator (no canvas):

Click here for the full 1020x576 image.

I've done a couple of those too, but never went anywhere with them. What are you planning on making?

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

And even then, that's not guaranteed unless your heuristic is admissable (as AgentF said), which it rarely is.

I'll draw an example if people still don't get that.

I always thought that the most frequently used A* heuristic would be euclidian distance, either in a grid or in a graph. And that is admissable. I'd love to see realistic examples of the contrary!

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

CupBoy posted:

Messing around with JavaScript, Canvas and strange attractors.

Link

Now make a game with tons of this stuff and call it Osmos.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006
I'm making an isometric strategy game. I paid an artist to do the animations, but did the terrain tiles myself.

It's browser based, will be releasing it later this month.

Click here for the full 606x353 image.

Edit: and yes I manage to show off the screenshot where the dead terrorists' bodies clip into the wall. drat.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006
Terrain Editor for my isometric game.
It's not an image editor, it's a GUI for my configuration files.

I suck at layout managers :-)

Click here for the full 1119x916 image.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Snodar posted:

One thing I've done in the past is process the metadata in images to transfer information from the graphics editor to the game. So in your case you could use the image title and the tags, and perhaps something in the description for arbitrary keyed data like movement cost.

Sounds interesting, but my current system works and changing it again would require quite some work. I'll keep it in mind though for the future as it's an interesing technique

Snodar posted:

This makes it less likely to become desynchronised, speeds up asset creation (one less tool to load up), makes producing modified resources much faster, allows you to use the OS's tools for working with metadata, and simplifies issues if you're dealing with more than one asset source. So you could add a new tag, select all the files in a folder that apply to it, and set the tag at once.

Cool. I didn't think of that.

Snodar posted:

I've tried taking this to an extreme where everything's in PNG files (with things like L-system trees being a sample image with the state in metadata) and I'd just drag-and-drop from folders into the editor. It worked really nicely, very clean feeling, although I didn't get far with the project.

I assume you work with a Mac? :-)

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006
Oh god not Graal.

Never played it, actually.

But I remember it being a competitor to the lovely 2d rpg's I played... Odyssey most notably!

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

I'm trying to make something like Civilization, but on a real globe. Also, that's a genuine Winkel tripel projection in the corner. Hell yeah!

Did you use multiple octave perlin noise with a threshold? Neat!

I've been trying something similar, but I want a RISK-style map... in other words, vetors rather than tiles. This is an absolute pain in the rear end around the antemeridian :-(

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Luminous posted:

You will make a fortune off of preteen girls.

So many ways to misinterpret that.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

tunah posted:

Add a fart/cowbell/vuvuzela button?

All of the above, I'd say.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Your Google-fu is commendable, good sir.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

taqueso posted:

Got a video?

Yeah this sounds cool but we need a video to judge its true merit!

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

this catte posted:

I'm working on a browser-based game of space trading and pirate/cop dodging

Codeigniter PHP core with an SQL database and JS flourishes, using CSS web-fonts
Planet art is temporary filler, and the commodities aren't all supposed to have the medical supplies icon.
The movement ring only appears on mouseover of the player ship (which is also filler art).

Were you inspired by Pardus?

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

mintskoal posted:

Had this idea for a while but just finally got around to building it. Made a web app called unsubscribr that goes through your email (gmail only for right now, working on Yahoo Mail) and picks out all of the bulk mail. It then gives you a list of results so you can unsubscribe from them really quickly.

Uses OAuth to authenticate to Gmail and Yahoo so you never have to type in a password on the site. I'm going with the freemium model where searching 5 days of mail in your inbox is free, up to 14 days and any folders/labels is a one-time cost of $2.00 - kind of like in the mobile app stores.

Anyway screenshots:

If anyone with a dirty Gmail account is interested in testing I'll set your account to the paid version.

I did this manually a few months ago. Took me hours. You're a genius, sir. Would love to test your app to see if I missed any crap.

Mail me at liev-enswo-uter at google's mail service after removing all them dashes.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

poemdexter posted:

It was a for-fun prototype just because I saw it and said "hey, i could probably program that!" Isometric can suck a dick and I don't even like how I had to draw everything front to back and from bottom to top height wise. The map is reading from a txt file but adding a single row throws off the entire thing since the alternating tiles go stupid. If anyone wants to poke around: https://github.com/poemdexter/Landscape

Isometric rendering is FUN imho.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

poemdexter posted:

Give a decent solution for the following:

I have a text file with:
code:
When I translate that to drawing, I get tiles in this form:
code:
1 2 3 1 2 3
 4 5 6 4 5 6
7 8 9 7 8 9
 1 2 3 1 2 3
So for the first 5, to move "up" would be to hit the 2 which when drawn looks like it's northwest. If I was at the 8 looking to move "up", I would hit the 5 which is northeast! So now when I'm trying to decide while sprite I need due to the black bold lines being necessary and having around 20 different sprites, I have to know which row I'm on so I know how to look in the 2d array to get the correct surrounding pieces.

Your coordinate transformation is completely wrong. Your world model remains a "square grid", you just render isometrically.

code:
      1,0   0,1
   2,0   2,1   2,2
etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Some kid never heard of Wolfenstein 3D posted:

Biowarfare posted:

Actually no, what was it? It apparently was released before I was born

edit: ah, killing nazis, WW2 game(?)