Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
shaim 0.4 is nearly done, and I need to take a new round of screenshots :v:

And so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Zagrod posted:

I'm pretty sure I won't upload the source code though, because I'd have to get a plastic surgery and move to India to work with computers again.

Because it's so bad that America would excommunicate you? :v:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Doublethink posted:

I am the only one who's been coding this drat thing. It only gets updated when someone needs a new function and generally they need it right away (within a few hours typically).

It keeps morphing and UI has always been way down list of priorities. It's only used in house so it is full of profanity and inside jokes.

What is it? :confused:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ImDifferent posted:

We're doing the official site for the presidential debate commission.

Sweet, now I know where I'm going to watch the debate tonight :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ImDifferent posted:

I should warn you that there are going to be live questions/votes pushed out to the player. If you are easily annoyed by something scrolling up from the bottom of the window asking you if you think abortion rocks or not, then best to get the feed elsewhere. Hopefully they won't be too invasive though.

Didn't bother me at all. I've watched the VP and the second Presidential debates via the feed, and it's more rock-solid than I can get from C-SPAN or CNN. It bends my laptop's CPU over its knee and gives it a good pegging, but I can't complain :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ColdPie posted:

I'm out of browsers that a web developer would actually use.

Doesn't work in IE7 either :v:

e: By "not working," I mean I click the Go button and nothing happens

csammis fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 24, 2008

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

hexadecimal posted:

Explain please.

You don't know that quote? Seriously?

:corsair:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

hexadecimal posted:

Omg its worse than fail!!!! What is dwarf fortress anyway and why are you visualizing it?

quote:

What the gently caress is this

- csammis, asking hexadecimal what the gently caress this is, this being his reply to Mithaldu

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Last night I made a Pidgin plugin for Windows that sets your account statuses to Away when the workstation is locked (and brings them back to Available when it's unlocked). I know for sure that it works with AIM, GTalk, and Sametime accounts, Pidgin 2.5.2 and up.

Binary and source here

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Roflex posted:

Whipped up a quick "LCD Cracker"

Got a download link? :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

alien8 posted:

It's also made me wish their was a "C# questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread.

You mean like this one, which is linked in the list of megathreads? :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Use the general programming questions thread for questions like that.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

king_kilr posted:

http://typewar.com

my boss and coworker launched it a few weeks ago, now we all hack on it friday afternoons instead of doing real work

My fiancee: "Hey, it's time to go to my parents."
Me: "Okay but check out this link I just sent you."
Her, ten minutes of clicking later: "drat YOU CSAMMIS"

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
For some reason the moonwalking stick figures are really really funny :shobon:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Anal Volcano posted:

Got sick of looking at the same forums stylesheet for the past five or so years, so decided to experiment. Took the header and gutter from the frontpage and tried to clean up the place. It's currently implemented as a Chrome extension.

Nice, I'd like to try it out when you get it in a place to send it to other people :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

TJChap2840 posted:

Is the set of books on your desk worth getting? I saw one of the set at a Fry's the other day and thought about getting it, but then saw that it was part of a set.

If you're talking about Knuth's The Art Of Computer Programming and you think really understanding math and by building on that foundation really understanding algorithms is "worth getting" then yes it is worth getting.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Frozen-Solid posted:

Finally finished writing a fancy MARC Record (bibliography information for books) editor.

I've heard horror stories of library and bibliographic software from my wife, who is herself a librarian. Well done for actually creating something that looks good and appears functional :golfclap:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
If you're thinking of putting together an IM system for a corporate intranet then you should consider just using the Jabber protocol instead of rolling your own. It's extremely thorough and allows for interconnection with other XMPP-based systems (like google talk) and can bridge to other IM services.

http://xmpp.org/xmpp-protocols/rfcs/

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Good times :v:

I've decided that I want to learn OpenGL since I never took a graphics course and have been pretty terrible at geometry and trig. You know, something different for a change. So far I've used Manslaughter's lightning algorithm to generate a list of vertices, normalized them into a cube, and recorded the intersection with the boundaries so I can eventually draw something more interesting than a red square.

It's slow going but at least I've got time to play with a project outside of work these days :unsmith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

tef posted:

I'll make a thread in the project.log forum I guess

The what now?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Speaking only for myself...

• I understood most of the concepts presented from years doing Win32 GUI programming. I don't think it was too basic though...if I hadn't spent altogether too much time with WM_PAINT and window message pumps in general this would all be new information to me. For all the goddamned kids who make some HTML5 buttons with their JQueries and that poo poo works who cares ( :corsair: ) it seems just right.

• The information was presented very well but honestly I was way more interested in the Javascript implementation of an X server and spent most of this morning looking through the Github source. That is really cool!

All that said I'm definitely looking forward to the continuation of the series, blending for transparency and window managers specifically. Write more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Awesome! I’m glad you’re back, your projects are always cool.

I can’t quite read the Logic screenshot but it looks like you’ve got a bus analyzer active. Is it using a common protocol?