Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Got a video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

Where to tester this? :)

This does looks like it would be fun to play with.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Actually, I won't, because echo servers are dumb.

Quote of the Day servers, on the other hand...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

gwar3k1 posted:

Do you have a hotkey and multiple screenshot functionality? The one thing that would make me use a screenshot program rather than Alt+Print Screen is the ability to take multiple without having to paste into a graphics program before they get lost from the clipboard. Though the upload to imgur is neat.

This would be great. And a little browser with thumbnails that allows selection of the previously captured shots to put into the clipboard.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Xom posted:

So before I start:
  1. Is there an alternative overall approach that I should consider?
  2. Am I crazy for rolling my own compression method?

I feel like you might be a little crazy for trying to roll your own compression. However, because you would have to encode the output of a standard compression algorithm to work as part of a URL, e.g. base64, there might be some room for improvement. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was an algorithm designed for just this situation. My plan would be to make it work with standard tools just to get it done, and if the result isn't acceptable you can always try to do better.

I also wanted to say I like your examples, even though most of them have killed me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

karma_coma posted:

I've been working on a scifi/space roguelike off and on for a while now. I'm using Python+Libtcod and it's working out fairly well. It's still really alpha but I've been working on it quite a bit for the past two months or so.

Making a roguelike in your spare time is fun :) It also made me fall in love with Python.

Does it take place in space, flying a spaceship? Because that would be awesome.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks for posting prospector, I hadn't heard of it before and the concept sounds pretty fun.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

From Earth posted:

Up next: Shadow-casting for non-floor-to-ceiling objects (e.g., characters and low walls), diffuse lighting, and reflections if I feel up to it.
This is pretty awesome.

Is the basic idea for non-floor-to-ceiling objects that they reduce light by some percentage depending on how big they are?

And you should totally do reflection, I don't think it will be very hard, and it will really push the realism through the roof. Does everything in your world have material types?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ravendas posted:

I'll check QT out later, thanks!

Though I don't think this kind of application (command ->output) really needs much of a UI, a D&D forum I posted it on doesn't care a bit, except for "Will this be released with a UI?"

Edit: Nice checkerboard, good practice for a new language. Now add choice of colors!

Making a GUI with C#/.net is really easy compared to C++ (in my experience) so that might be something to try out if learning a little C# sounds interesting to you. That said, I have nothing against command-line tools.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Pseudo-God posted:

I don't know how to respond to this. I guess there are only so many ways chess programs can be made.

Needs more BattleChess.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

hendersa posted:

I have purposely avoided doing this because it is much slower to launch than having everything built together into a single binary.

What is the cause of the slowness? Is it the exec call itself, loading the env and such? Could you modify the other emulators or make a GPL wrapper that would allow you to fork/exec right away, but wait for commands from the main process to actually run & halt the emulator?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

hendersa posted:

I woke up this morning with dozens of mails in my inbox about BeagleSNES. HackADay finally accepted a tip about BeagleSNES and posted a blurb about it:

http://hackaday.com/2015/01/31/passion-project-turns-beaglebone-into-standalone-super-nes/

I think the main reason why they accepted my submission this time is because it was filled with swearing. I figured that no one was going to read it (like the last few times I submitted), so I decided to go for broke. I guess that gets their attention? The main site editor sent me a message and apologized for missing the submission the last few times because they get "a lot of noise" at the submission mail address.

I'm just happy because it gets the project in front of a different crowd (hardware folks versus the software BeagleBoard folks who now of it), so I might get a few new users, feedback, and good tips from people with a different set of views on things.

:dance:

Congrats, you really been doing so awesome on this project. I'm curious about your swear filled submission. Would be interested in seeing it if you feel comfortable posting it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

hendersa posted:

... and so forth. Open source software development is very rewarding! :v:

Why won't you listen!?!!?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://github.com/benjojo/c2bf

quote:

C2BF is a C compiler targeting brainfuck, written by the twisted mind of Gregor
Richards.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

tohveli posted:

I recently got a slight promotion at work and that means I can no longer write code as much as I'd like. So I had to continue it as a hobby.
This combined with me having a Windows Phone and there is absolutely no nonshitty JIRA or Confluence client for it, it made me want to make one.

www.agilejiraclient.com

It's my first app actually. Making it took quite many weekends and long nights after getting the baby to sleep.
Coding with the latest version of Visual Studio, C# and XAML is very refreshing. I just love the tools. The built-in emulator and debugger are awesome, together with Fiddler.
I had to make a cheesy app website too.

Not many have bought it yet. I'm guessing it will actually cost me more money to keep this stuff up and running than I will ever get out of it. Domain 10 bucks a year, hosting 10 bucks a month. Now I'm trying adwords but it looks like that will cost me about 20-30 per month with little to show so maybe I'll quit that or narrow it down. Obviously the reason for this isn't the (negative) extra cash but to get some experience with the associated non-programming stuff.

Now to get Atlassian to buy it from you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I raytraced something

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

IJ, you are a treasure. Thanks for that detailed explanation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My rust chip8 emulator is working somewhat:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 6, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You should probably have a neural network that chooses the (glyph, fgcolor, bgcolor) combo that will be perceived as most similar to the source image. With unicode you can probably really out-do aalib. ;)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

sweet rust-buddy :hf:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It wouldn't really matter except for how many disks the install required. Plenty of games were more than 1 floppy. I think it is more for the challenge.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

just pointing out that there was nothing whatsoever odd about selecting 1.44MB discs as the medium.

Yeah, I 100% agree with that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cool dance, took me a bit to figure out I could change the input and it will dance to different music. What size limits do shaders have? Can you make a single shader that uses all of the resources of the gfx card?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Figured out a simple roguelike level generation algorithm that should be reasonable to implement on chip8:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

The ST's graphics primitives are slow. It does support pattern dithering but defining Kerbin as an object would be impractical. In order to have it not take a year, I grabbed a Kerbin map and created a dithered 1bpp image out of it. (That's era-appropriate though I used Photoshop instead of Deluxe Paint...) It's blitted to the screen which is an adventure in itself thanks to the 1986 implementation of device-independent bitmaps and then the grid and current location of the craft is drawn over it.

So you wrote an emulator so you could write a kerbal clone for atari*? Badass, indeed. I've got a friend that is going to love those screenshots.

*or are you writing a Kerbal clone to test the emulator?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I didn't write an emulator. This is an Atari ST program that communicates with a PC running KSP and KSPSerialIO. KSP sends vessel status updates over a serial link and the Atari becomes a mission control computer.

I have written an Apple I emulator and half of an NES one in the past!

Ahh, I saw the screenshot of your OS and I assumed you did the emulator too for some reason. Still cool!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

munce posted:

Click for animated.

Using a video as input data sometimes looks pretty good. Cartoons with high contrast seem to give the best results.

I didn't expect your previous post to lead to this, that looks really cool.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How much ram does it take? I always hear how electron apps are so hungry for ram, just curious how yours is doing. Especially since you probably haven't tried to optimize anything yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The wrong one has so much character! Now you need to figure out what is happening so you can do it on purpose.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

i really hate that thing but i also want to play with it a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004