Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

I decided the best way to make a Battlefield-ish game was to start with the Quake 3 engine and make a few minor modifications:

Vertex/pixel shader support, new material system, radiosity (which uses GPU acceleration to compile), directional lightmaps, terrain, skeletal models, load-time asset compilation, blah blah...

Oh yeah, and I suck at recruiting so I'm stuck in tech demo hell. :suicide:

How do you learn to do stuff like vertex shaders? I assume there's an "accepted" way of doing it. I'm really curious about all this neat graphics programming after spending years in Linux command-line hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Anode posted:

A Web front-end for NodeBox's Colors library, built with Appengine. It's at http://colorspinner.appspot.com if anybody wants to mess around with it.

EDIT: VVV Thanks, fixed it.

You can use NodeBox's Colors library on GAE? I was going to deploy my color-related application to GAE but it used PIL and GAE doesn't support PIL at the moment. I peeked in the source for NodeBox and it seemed to use either CoreImage or PIL depending on what you had installed - I couldn't find any documentation for CoreImage online so I'm not really sure what it is. Can you retrieve a list of colors from an image on GAE with the NodeBox library?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of inspiration from AI, robotics and ethology.

Video from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1P_B65XW4I

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

Holy cow. Can you give more details on what technology makes this possible? That's awesome.