Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

A 3d game me and my friend are working on for our degree. Started from scratch, done in C++/DirectX. We're using Ageia PhysX for the physical simulation side of the things.

We're still in the process of begging our friends for textures and models, so far only the Cube we're in is fully done - doors and boxes have the same texture as the walls because we still don't have anything (good) to substitute it with.

Right now the brightness is pumped way up for us to see everything very clearly - The room itself is going to be darker with a little glow shader where the little lamps are. The engine is mostly finished so we're hoping for a smooth sailing up to the presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Thats what it boils down to pretty much

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Kerris posted:

Awesome stuff. How far are you into this game/degree?

The deadline is exactly one month from now, so we're almost finished. My friend is doing post-processing shaders, and I'm touching up stuff in PhysX so that it feels "right" for a game.

I'll probably do some extra touches, to make the game more playable, during the summer and upload it somewhere, because I feel it's too cool to have it done just for the degree and not show it around. I'm pretty sure I won't upload the source code though, because I'd have to get a plastic surgery and move to India to work with computers again.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
It's the model

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that while writing stuff at 4am I wrote some pretty bad hacks that would make Bjarne disavow C++ because of the rape I've committed on the art of programming using it, so yeah.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Wuen Ping posted:

:words:

That looks very cool, how far are you into the project?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
I'm going to patiently wait, because I too think that MoO3 was a crime against humanity

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

tripwire posted:

I'm thinking of using physx bindings through Ogre for a project I'm working on. Have you found physx to be fast on physics? Is there any comparisons you can draw as to speed and ease of use between physx and other physics engines?

Unfortunately, no as this is my first time working with a physics engine. Also, my simulation is pretty small, there are few objects which aren't terribly complicated in shape - so I can't really say how fast would it be for your project, if you're planning something in a bigger scale.

As far as ease of use goes it's OK. However, at least for me, you have to do a lot of cross-checking in documentation. For example, there's a whole lesson on Springs and Dampers, along with a compiled example, but when you go to another page about it, they tell you its deprecated and you need to use Distance Joints.

Zagrod fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of inspiration from AI, robotics and ethology.

That looks fantastic