Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.fontcapture.com rocks, and I pity whoever graded my AP Comp Sci test.

font: http://www.2shared.com/file/7398277/72deee93/myfont.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

This is really strange and I'm not sure if I get it, but it's a cool idea. The collaborative drawing reminds me of the goonbase stuff, but I'm not sure I understand why it's a maze.

I just tried playing it, and it was pretty awesome. Its more like you are lost in a magical world because you are in a maze as opposed to just your normal collaborative drawing thingy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Scaevolus posted:

A simple random character generator. Next up: turning the bitmaps into brushstrokes, so I can automatically make larger or smaller characters, and render them nicely.

Those look like something out of Conway's game of life. Awesome.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Got bored, wrote a simple implementation of the chaos game using Boost.GIL:

That is sexy as sin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrughes posted:

So people concerned about security are supposed to download some rogue executable and run it on their computer?

At least include SHA signatures.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jewel posted:

The only thing I noticed that's bugging me is that the two transparent boxes overlap, and leave a darker grey line. Can you draw the two black boxes, and THEN transform the combined image to be transparent? I don't remember how good ImageMagick is with layers and whatnot, however.

Edit: Otherwise, super super nice, I like it a lot!

That or keep the overlay and skew the angles more and go for the whole "taped words on, but poorly on purpose" hipster thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good pun there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

steckles posted:

I wrote some thin film interference code for simulating soap bubbles and anti-reflective coatings. Surprisingly, it worked on the first compile. I'm 99% certain the colours are not correct, but usually when I write a new light interaction, the first few versions simply fill the screen with NaNs or sprinkle black dots all over the place.

Those lenses are so pretty. Also I have a question, the only part that draws my eye away is the chrome seems somehow too shiny, what is that visual effect I am missing? You seem like the kind of person who would know that.

What was the render time like? I'm sure if you started blogging about it you'd start getting offers on your terms.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^So? Post anyway! Everyone is following in the footsteps of giants.

steckles posted:

Real materials have scratches on them. Normally you'd use a bump map to add this effect, but I suck at UV mapping, so I didn't bother.

I think the time for this one was about nine hours. This was on three cores of an i5 at 4.4ghz. It's a long time, but that's not too far off from what a commercial renderer like Maxwell will take.

The thought has crossed my mind, but a renderer is more than just the engine. Interacting with various modelling applications is tough too. Just getting the geometry isn't too hard in most cases, but dealing with materials can annoying. Being physically accurate, the material system in the renderer is quite different than the options available in, say, Blender.

Yeah dude, start a blog and you'll get offers that include being able to work remotely from wherever you currently live. I figured that it was a model issue (on the lens and chrome), I think you under-estimate the number of companies that would kill to be able to integrate your knowledge that into their codebase. But then again, your main job may be Santa Claus, but seriously good work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sub Par posted:

Not as awesome as what you guys are putting up here, but I put together this little website to track the costs of the government shutdown. I had been looking for a little thing like this to do so I could get familiar with Bootstrap 3. Screenshot:

This may be more of a question for the web design thread but is there a consensus on where the drat social media icons should go? I am surprised at the lack of traction for StumbeleUpon and Google+.

Please make the counter live updating and prepare a scaling plan. Please.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The best language for beginner game developers that want to make money is javascript. There I said it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Megaman posted:

Why did you say that.

Easiest to churn out skinner-box web games in! Remember, when your user is frustrated or impatient with your game that's a good thing if you can monetize it!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Playing with hexagons.

Source (Java)

Congratulations on making it to BoingBoing!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Trabisnikof: uh, link?

I wrote my code from scratch but the animation is pretty similar to some looped gifs I'd seen on the internet, so you might have run into a gif made by somebody else.

http://dvdp.tumblr.com/post/55124353196/130711

Looks neigh identical, just flipped sideways (better looped gif I guess). Maybe someone is derivative of another, but I saw this blog linked from boingboing and (mistakenly?) thought it was you.

Edit:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Nah man that guy's must be the original; I just wrote a program to generate similar animations.

Well, that blog will have lots of fodder for you to try and replicate, some very cool animations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Let me explain to you how there is one true programming language/style/purpose/need and all others are wrong and evil.

I wish my work had pretty screenshots to it yet, instead merging data doesn't really make for pretty pics.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Manslaughter posted:

You have a space after hundreds. (nine hundred , ah ah ah!)

I want to follow this so bad but that's so much tweet spam. Slow it to every half hour or something IMO.

I think the whole point was to tweet as many tweets as possible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Playing around with OpenCV to see if I can automatically turn these hand-written probate registers into searchable text. It's a pretty limited vocabulary (names, job titles) which should help once I get to the OCR part. The techniques were found in random papers with google.

Original

Cropped to the main section by using Hough transform to locate horizontal & vertical lines, then separated into text lines by summing gray values of each row of pixels. The rows with the least writing will have the highest sums (by being closer to white = 255). Smoothing the sums with a rolling average & getting local maxima gives the offsets for the space between each line, above in blue.

De-slanted by trying differently angled skew transforms & selecting the one that gives the most tall peaks in its summed columns (= most vertical pen strokes), then separated into letters as above but using columns instead of rows. I was actually attempting to just separate into whole words, but it's pretty close to getting the correct letter boundaries, probably just need to tune it a bit. Looks like I'll also need to pad the lines a bit more so less gets cut off.

Next part is probably determining where each entry begins (where the lines start with big letters perhaps?), and then the OCR part.

Sup fellow OpenCV buddy, I've been working with trains instead of text. (Source video I was using for this older gif had dupe frames which was messing with my motion detector)

Your post has given me fodder to try a few different things. Are you planning on writing a new classifier or trying to feed that into an existing one (e.g. tesseract)?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hendersa posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how I could handle mapping the controls properly?

It has an accelerometer so you could maybe use shake or something like that for one command?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neurion posted:

This is why it'd be awesome if there was a game explicitly about programming AI-controlled entities to do combat with each other. I'd been toying with the idea for some time, but will probably never get around to actually making it a reality myself.

You might find High Frequency Trading very interesting then!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I dig the trees and the screenshots! But from a geography sperg perspective, there shouldn't be trees above the tree line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

munce posted:

Click for a big animated gif.

Made a Rutt-Etra style line effect and put it on the phone.
Many learnings were had. There is loads of useful 3d information that can be extracted from normal images. Also GL.Lines is a good way to draw said information.
That is pretty darn cool lookin'