Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

griliard posted:

Lord Jim This was years ago when I had to read it for a highschool english class. The only thing I remember is being bored out of my mind. This was at a time when I was reading a book or two a day, including finishing most of the required reading in no time flat because I wanted to see how they ended.

I tried Lord Jim and gave up on it. It definitely reads like it was written by someone who's first language wasn't English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

allovertheroad posted:

I was just going to say this. I tried it in high school and only skimmed enough to finish the diorama I was supposed to be making for class. I tried it again later, but still couldn't get through it.

Joseph Conrad writes English like it's his second language.

Because it is.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

MW posted:

Riddley Walker. Perhaps I should give it another try, but with English being my second language, I got tired of having to more or less read every word out loud in my head after 50 pages.

The appendix in my version is very sparse which made the early chapters hard to follow. There's online chapter guides that make it easier to decipher. But after a while it becomes easier to follow the style once you've got the conventions down.

It's probably my favourite post apocalyptic novel, once you make sense of the writing you'll find it doesn't detract from the narrative.

• Locked thread