Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Charlie Thunder
Oct 20, 2006

Goodbye Horses

I'm applying online for a summer job at a furniture store, hoping to land a warehouse associate position or to be a delivery assistant. On the application it asks for my minimum wage desired. I have no idea what these positions would typically pay. I don't want to go too low and then work for peanuts during the summer and I don't want to shoot to high and not be considered for the job. Does anyone have experience working this type of job or know what I should enter as my desired wage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwires
Oct 21, 2005

by The Finn

I always put negotiable so you can talk about it during the interview.

kponds
Nov 10, 2005

Leave it blank.

Charlie Thunder
Oct 20, 2006

Goodbye Horses

It doesn't give me an option to put negotiable, and couldn't leaving it blank make it look like I just rushed through the application and missed a field?

Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I've been told to always fill it out. Never leave it blank or put negotiable, they see that all the time. Putting in a number tells the person, "this kid knows what he wants, he's driven."

tripwires
Oct 21, 2005

by The Finn

Just put 100 million dollars.

Cheekio
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

It's a bullshit question, and most employers have half a brain enough to recognize this. Put about what you think the other people on the staff get paid there, because what the other staff get paid for a summer job is what you'll get paid anyway.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

haha it says "Minimun"

cravoecanela
Jul 15, 2003

Just put a bit over what you think the average wage for your position is. During the interview/hiring they will let you know what they can hire you on for. The question isn't really for you to decide what you want, but rather to allow employers to low-ball you a bit if you go under their expectations.

You won't be turned away for simply putting a dollar or so over what they start at.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003
I traded a sunrise for a sunset.

REAAAAAAAAAAACHING FOR THE STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS

Sheep-Goats
Jul 28, 2003

For a warehouse job just put minimum if you're unable to leave it blank. That's probably all they'll pay you anyway. For more important jobs (of if you actually care) try typing "average salary for XXX" into Google some time. There are all kinds of websites that do nothing but list salaries, equivalent salaries (30k a year does a lot more in Wyoming than in Manhattan), working conditions, etc etc etc, for most of the regions you'd be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

935 posted:

I've been told to always fill it out. Never leave it blank or put negotiable, they see that all the time. Putting in a number tells the person, "this kid knows what he wants, he's driven."
lovely summer job employers don't want driven people. They want monkeys that will do as they're told and be happy with whatever poo poo wage they decide to give them.