Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499448/

First and foremost I'd like to point out two things. One, I didn't like the first Narnia movie all that much. Second, I've never read a book in my life. With that in mind I'm happy to say that I enjoyed "Prince Caspian". This movie is a departure from the first; with more emphasis on mature themes like romance, fighting, raging hormones, murder, and talking mice with really small swords. It also makes a stronger attempt at realism; with less colorful armor, brutal battles, and an actual attempting at acting out of the child cast.

This movie takes place 1300 years after the first movie, which equals one year to the Pevensie children. During which time Peter seems to have become an rear end in a top hat, and Susan a snob with a nice rack. Edmund practically hides in the background for most of the flick; only having maybe one notable scene. Naturally young Lucy still sees wonder in Narnia, but at times her naive attitude seems so heavily overplayed that you can't help but to wish that Aslan would pop up and eat her.

All in all TCoN: PC is a good movie. It's not the legendary epic that Disney would probably like it to be, and it's certainly no strong stab at Harry Potter, but on its' own merits it's still a good picture. At the very least both you and the youngins' will be entertained for a few hours.

Pros: Better battles, more maturity... Somehow they manage to make sword fighting mice believable characters.

Cons: Some parts seemed rush. Having to listen to people who have read the books bitch that in whatever seen someone should have used the fork on the left, but in the movie they used a spoon... In other words people who read like to brag that they could have done a better job, which we all know full well.

Over all rating, 4 out of 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I saw this with the family the other night. It is a decent movie, but it was not as entertaining as the first one was.

One problem is that the first half of the movie feels very rushed. The kids come to instant conclusions as to what is going on/what to do. Then in the second half of the movie, everything feels like it is taking forever.

Another problem is that they injected a lot of modern day sarcasm and cynicism into all of the characters. A few snarky lines are laugh-worthy, but the quantity of sarcasm coming from almost everyone at one point or another really felt out of place in a fantasy setting.

The third problem is that I just never felt like giving a drat about Caspian himself. The villian did a decent job of being a villian you can hate, but Caspian was a whiny bitch most of the time, and his redeeming moments were too small to make you like him by the end.

The battles were perhaps a bit more numerous than the first movie, but I didn't feel like any of them were as cool as the final battle in Wardrobe.

Not horrible, but not something I would re-watch anytime soon.

3.5/5

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Good things: the four kids; Peter Dinklage as Trumpkin the dwarf; a lot of nice visuals; a few emotionally engaging moments; and enough stuff happened that for the most part I didn't mind sitting and watching it.

Bad things: the plot is thin as hell and largely feels like a retread of the first movie; too many stupid, unfunny, out-of-place quips shoved into the script; and it could have moved along a lot faster.

I would have preferred to watch a full movie about the kids coping with their modern life in London. Susan has a line after they return to Narnia, something like "I was just getting used to being back in England." The idea of adjusting to life as a kid again AFTER their thirty-year-adventure in TLTWATW sounded much more interesting to me than this movie.

Another thought that occurred to me while watching: I can't imagine anyone preferring this movie to the first one. And it's not like I thought the first one was an unimpeachable work of art, but it had stuff in it to like; the best stuff in this one was better in the first one.

2/5

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pretty much a retread of the previous film except the characters don't have the same impact anymore. The kids act well, but their characters don't have much of an arc and the sense of adventure is lacking.
Villains need presence, and Caspian's Claudius-esque uncle was barely distinguishable from the other lords of Genericevilland. Caspian wasn't very compelling either. The CG monsters looked fairly meh, but the battles are pretty good considering they show no blood.

Pros: An solid action fantasy film very suitable for small children.
Cons: Just not terribly memorable.

3/5

chezeberger
Jun 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl
No soul. Thats all I can say.

2/5