Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that was a free doujin PC shmup in which you gained powerups by picking up the pieces of your destroyed enemies. All of the characters were made up of pretty simple objects like squares, rectangles, and triangles and so your ship would eventually look like a giant mass of shapes with no rhyme or reason.

I believe the creator of this game also came out with some other free PC shmups and that this game inspired a sequel for WiiWare. I've been scouring but can't come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated!
Sounds like Reassembly, but it's not free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indie game, hasn't been released yet. I've only seen one trailer for it at some even last year. It's a first person action RPG aesthetically similar to Dragon Quest Swords. All I remember from the trailer is that it's melee focused (using either a sword or axe), took place in a lush green forest with Dragon Quest-y slime enemies, and it was very beautiful. I think the enemies were hand animated 2D sprites in a 3D cel shaded world.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

...! posted:

I don't. But since the custom text says something about trophies, it's a fair assumption. I wish I knew which goon bought it so I could ask them.

I would have thought it was about having a trophy wife, so not about video games at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

Indie game, hasn't been released yet. I've only seen one trailer for it at some even last year. It's a first person action RPG aesthetically similar to Dragon Quest Swords. All I remember from the trailer is that it's melee focused (using either a sword or axe), took place in a lush green forest with Dragon Quest-y slime enemies, and it was very beautiful. I think the enemies were hand animated 2D sprites in a 3D cel shaded world.

Away: Journey to the Unexpected

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Long shot here...

I was a kid in Germany ca. 1991 and my dad took me to an outdoor festival with a cabinet-style arcade game. Here's what I remember:

-It was a platformer
-You played a space-man astronaut-type person
-There was a planet selection screen
-It was in color

Any ideas? So strange the memories that stay with us.

Here's another that should be a bit more familiar since it is more recent. I would troll Game Hippo endlessly in high school instead of doing my homework. This was a free, downloadable puzzle game where you had to destroy demons on a grid-like board using other demons (?) that would shoot out flames in set patterns. The idea was to set off chain reactions to eventually clear the board.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Slightly different, i already know the game: Unreal tournament 2004 (or originally for ut2003)
I've been looking for a custom map i played as a kid for ages now but i can't seem to find it. Particularly because it had this theme song that for some reason has ear-wormed itself into my brain even after all these years.

It's a capture the flag map, a kind of a floating ctf-face style map consisting of two glass domes (blue and red) in this very ethereal style floating somewhere above the clouds.
The theme song was a loop of an acoustic guitar playing a few chords, over which a slightly distorted other guitar plays a slow solo/higher notes.

It might have been part of a community map pack (but i checked those out and haven't found it in there either).

Probably very obscure, but maybe this rings a bell for someone, even if it was just a name. Thanks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ToastyPotato posted:

Cyberdogs, a top down action game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcsTmcyq_w

Hell yeah Cyberdogs!

Did you know it's open source now and still being updated?

https://cxong.github.io/cdogs-sdl/

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DasNeonLicht posted:

Long shot here...

I was a kid in Germany ca. 1991 and my dad took me to an outdoor festival with a cabinet-style arcade game. Here's what I remember:

-It was a platformer
-It was in color

Any ideas? So strange the memories that stay with us.

Here's another that should be a bit more familiar since it is more recent. I would troll Game Hippo endlessly in high school instead of doing my homework. This was a free, downloadable puzzle game where you had to destroy demons on a grid-like board using other demons (?) that would shoot out flames in set patterns. The idea was to set off chain reactions to eventually clear the board.

Unlikely stab here but maybe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM5l4O6SE

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Light Gun Man posted:

Unlikely stab here but maybe....

Hm... close, but not quite. I remember gravity was a factor. The demo had the player losing his life by falling through a hole in the ground.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wamdoodle posted:

Hell yeah Cyberdogs!

Did you know it's open source now and still being updated?

https://cxong.github.io/cdogs-sdl/

Holy crap. That's awesome!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

DasNeonLicht posted:

-It was a platformer
-It was in color

Xain'd Sleena? Starts with a planet selection screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGL127qYF_0

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gromit posted:

Xain'd Sleena? Starts with a planet selection screen.

You know, this fits my description so perfectly, this must be it. The gameplay definitely seems familiar.

This thread is incredible.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018
Okay, this is going to be very very vague, because I'm going from memory from when I was like...10 so 1990 or earlier but: "Game" was for PC, it was on 5.25 in' floppies. I put game in quotations because it was more of a visual story with some game-like elements. Your character was a little guy, I think you were like a stick figure. There were different "chapters" that came on different disks. In one of the chapters I remember you started out walking, got irradiated, became like the hulk, fought godzilla, etc. It sounds like a fever dream but I remember playing/watching it on my dad's old work computer because it would not play on my 1988 Tandy PC, since the Tandy only had a 3.5 floppy.

Every once in a while I think back about this thing and wonder what the hell it was called.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is probably hopeless because everything I remember is really vague.

Played in 1990-1992 on an arcade machine
A 2player beat-em up
The first level was a city street in the day time
Enemies were generic 90s thug types.

That almost sounds like Streets of Rage, but I think you said you couldn't select your character. I remember on the Sega version you could select your character but in the arcade version I don't think you could.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The one that came to mind for me reading that - noting it could indeed be almost anything - was The Combatribes.

The question is doubly complicated because the arcade versions of a lot of multiple character beat-em-ups (Combatribes among them) don't have character select screens, your character selection is based on which spot on the machine you play, so who knows whether or not the game the guy is remembering had different characters or not.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 1, 2018

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
There was an arcade game in the late 80's that had you moving forward in a shooting car, sort of like Spy Hunter but in an urban setting. When the car got too damaged, you jumped out and then it had the basic structure of Commando, with more rolling dodges, until you found another car.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Phyzzle posted:

There was an arcade game in the late 80's that had you moving forward in a shooting car, sort of like Spy Hunter but in an urban setting. When the car got too damaged, you jumped out and then it had the basic structure of Commando, with more rolling dodges, until you found another car.

The Speed Rumbler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lg9pFUgco

(a few minutes in and I haven't seen the player get their car destroyed, but it does happen in this game for sure)

ToastyPotato posted:

Wasn't there a very similar looking game that let you design the bosses? And another game similar to that one, but with more traditional graphics (and more part variety)?

Assuming you're referring to "build your own" shooters, all I can come up with is the Dezaemon series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

The Speed Rumbler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lg9pFUgco

(a few minutes in and I haven't seen the player get their car destroyed, but it does happen in this game for sure)

Yesss, I remember the bamboo sticks for guns now.

• Locked thread