Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kotau
Mar 21, 2003

Whatever is not forbidden is compulsory.
I am thinking about a forum or play by post game that is like dealing with a senate, or congress or something.

There are 10 rules that are solid and cannot be changed, but you can suggest any rule you want, and everyone votes on it.

I cannot remember how you win but I do know there has been a few of these running since the 80s, and SA had one here for a time. Wikipedia and google are useless! It seemed like a really cool round robin/politics game to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Sweeper posted:

This is an old game, I think I may have seen it in the original one of these threads...

All I remember is playing it when I was young and in the beginning you hopped into a turret and after you shot down all of the planes you hopped in a plane and went.... somewhere... it was hard as poo poo. I remember that.

I'm thinking Cyberia? An old adventure/shooter on-rails game, pretty cool graphics for its time. I don't ever remember beating it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberia_%28video_game%29

atomicrobot
Apr 10, 2008
My wife is looking for a game, would have been early early PC, maybe the 386 days?

Anyway, in it you play a little guy and you fly around on a magic carpet and drink tea, and she says she remembers a magic flute. It was black and white graphics mixed with some text.

You guys got any ideas? I've been looking for a game like this for years for her.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

kotau posted:

I am thinking about a forum or play by post game that is like dealing with a senate, or congress or something.

There are 10 rules that are solid and cannot be changed, but you can suggest any rule you want, and everyone votes on it.

I cannot remember how you win but I do know there has been a few of these running since the 80s, and SA had one here for a time. Wikipedia and google are useless! It seemed like a really cool round robin/politics game to me.

That's Nomic!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I remember playing some adventure-type game in 5th grade that I have only the faintest memory of, but I'm curious if anyone else can tell me what it is from what I remember.

Basically I just remember that on the hardest difficulty of the game you had to obtain a can of cheeze whiz called 'Cheese Girl' I think, and use it to propel yourself from outer space to safety, or something like that. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Solarin posted:

I remember playing some adventure-type game in 5th grade that I have only the faintest memory of, but I'm curious if anyone else can tell me what it is from what I remember.

Basically I just remember that on the hardest difficulty of the game you had to obtain a can of cheeze whiz called 'Cheese Girl' I think, and use it to propel yourself from outer space to safety, or something like that. Does this ring any bells for anyone?
The Journeyman Project 2

You had to use it to get to the airlock or something, if I remember.

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

No Friend of Gravity posted:

That's Nomic!

thank you so much, why is it so loving hard to find without knowing the name :p

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Im trying to think of an old, old arcade game. 2D side scroller. You played one of 4 chracters.. (3 men or one woman) running through a futuristic setting, I dotn remember the names, I do remember one member fo the team being bald with a flame based weapon.

The objective off the game was to get a key item, with three round jewels. From some shadowy chracter with a cloak.

I also want to know an old robot shooter game. the trick was you had a double jump with boosters in yuor boots. the game had a realistic look to it, and you had grenade launcher.

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

Gleng posted:

EDIT 2: I have one. It's a very early FPS on the PS1. It was set on Mars (I think). Some levels were inside a space station, and some were outside. One gun shot blue electric poo poo. It wasn't anything to do with Red Faction. That's all I've got. :(

Pretty sure its Disruptor, which I still have a copy of somewhere. Decent game actually, pretty tough too.

Edit: Could also be Lifeforce/Codename Tenka?

alejandro fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 12, 2008

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

alejandro posted:

Pretty sure its Disruptor, which I still have a copy of somewhere. Decent game actually, pretty tough too.

I'm 95% sure that you're right about that. I'll have to dig out some more screenshots to be 100% though. Cheers!

Furril posted:

Im trying to think of an old, old arcade game. 2D side scroller. You played one of 4 chracters.. (3 men or one woman) running through a futuristic setting, I dotn remember the names, I do remember one member fo the team being bald with a flame based weapon.

That's got to be Quartet.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

The Shortest Hobbit posted:

Another game that I believe was on the PS1, you were in a mech-suit and you went around a dungeon like maze and it was scary.
Is this Robotica? Where the government used death-row inmates to remotely operate mechs in dangerous combat zones and rebel sites because the problem with the link-up was if the connection was severed (i.e. mech destroyed) the person would die? I'm not sure this was even for the PS1, as I played it on the Saturn, but I remember some games were cross-platform.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You're in a spaceship, in a team of three. You're inside a cylinder, laced with obstacles and such to fly around, and you and your team have to shoot down the other team. In the centre of the cylinder there's some kind of thing that you fly through, or maybe just fly around, to restore health.

The box for this game had a flap on it held by velcro, and opening the flap showed you the game character bios, which were very cyberpunk, with a bit of a Mad Max feel to them as well.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Secret Ooze posted:

Before I go buying this for nostalgia, is it as fun as my mind is tricking me into thinking it was?

I remember liking the demo of that too but I can honestly say it probably sucks if you were to load it up right now.

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh

Gleng posted:

I'm 95% sure that you're right about that. I'll have to dig out some more screenshots to be 100% though. Cheers!

That's got to be Quartet.

You win sir, good day.

I wasnt even close to that in my mind for he games name.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I'm thinking of a game I know very little about, other than I played it on an old Pentium 133 for a little while and the thing ran too slowly. I don't recall much about it, beyond starting in a castle of some sort in a third person kind of view and finding a sweet meat. And then leaving that place and entering in a bunch of fields, finding something that looked like a windmill, and then quitting.

I have no idea whatsoever what it is and the curiosity is driving me mad.

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

King's Quest?

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Game is about 10 years old, i played it as a kid

It was a plasticine world a la Abe's odyssey.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Phatzilla posted:

Abe's Oddysee is a plasticine world?

You're going to have to give at least some sort of gameplay description.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Phatzilla posted:

Ya, that's not a very good description, but there was a snes game whose main character was a ball of clay and could morph into different shapes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymates

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Phatzilla posted:

The Neverhood? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverhood

Need more details for that though.

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

Phatzilla posted:

it could also be skullmonkeys, that game had the same style

Jarlath
Apr 4, 2006
Ok the game I'm thinking of is an old PC game. I was probably about 8 so around 1996ish but God knows if it was new or old at that time. You were like a tank thing and you tunneled about and you went against another person. It might have had other modes but we only ever played it against each other. May have been called like Tunneler but that could have just been what we called it.

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin
I've got one, I think it was around the time of Warcraft I or II. It was a top-down view and you were a caveman in a leopard skin. I think you fought apes with a bone or something, I can't remember, but it was pretty sweet.

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

hj henhemjamib posted:

I've got one, I think it was around the time of Warcraft I or II. It was a top-down view and you were a caveman in a leopard skin. I think you fought apes with a bone or something, I can't remember, but it was pretty sweet.

Tail of the Sun?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm looking for an old educational game that came out on the 386 back when floppy disks were floppy. As I recall the game was one of those 4-bit graphic games and it was divided into two sections. The first section would present a collection of math questions of varying difficulty depending on your choice that you had to speed through as quickly as possible. Every right answer would earn you bullets, bombs, and fuel. Once the timer went out the game turned into a Defender style side-scrolling shooter were you would fly a red jetplane and lay waste to an enemy base.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have a couple, actually.

The first two are from one of those "1001 games on two CDs!" type of things. One was a 3D type of game like Block-Out (the kind where you have a paddle and you break bricks). You saw the level from the view of the paddle itself. The levels were fashioned so they looked like rooms. The passwords for the first set of levels were Hyrdogen, Helium, Lithium, etc.

The second game was called Amiga, but Googling for it only gives me info on the Amiga system. It was a very simple game with lots of blocks and such on the screen. You have to move a snake from one end to the other. When you push a direction, it kept going in that direction until it hit something. I think certain colors of blocks would kill you, help you, etc. If anyone knows anymore about this game, please tell me.

---

SNES RPG: Five characters to the party. About as generic an RPG as you can get. Eventually, you went up in the sky. I think the basic "potion" equivalent was "Plums" or something.

Edit: Oh, and a PS1 game...you had a red, yellow, blue, and green player. You fought to put crystals in containers, but you had to rotate the room to get to different containers.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 13, 2008

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

SNES RPG: Five characters to the party. About as generic an RPG as you can get. Eventually, you went up in the sky. I think the basic "potion" equivalent was "Plums" or something.

Secret of the Stars?

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Edit: Oh, and a PS1 game...you had a red, yellow, blue, and green player. You fought to put crystals in containers, but you had to rotate the room to get to different containers.

Blast Chamber

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
I had a shareware disk with the first couple levels of a few games (three?) once. This was probably 10 years or more ago, though. I'm pretty sure the third game, if I'm thinking of the right one, was a demo of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, a rail shooter with you on a turret on the back of a car. There could have been more games, though.

The first two games I can't remember had some weird FMV clips going on. #1 had you in control of a futuristic supply/smuggler train on future train-tracks, in a trench, from a first person perspective. Some of the enemies, including one of the bosses, looked sort of like blue and green Milennium Falcon ripoffs, and you could switch tracks at certain points. Also, there was a sound test or something in the menu with a smiley face that said boomshakalaka and stuff.

The second one was a lot more normal, it was just a sprite-based WW1 biplane game. Most of it was shooting down other biplanes, but there was a part where you would drop a bomb and get a silly live-action clip of your pilot dropping a bomb by hand. There were also funny (maybe, it was ten years ago) live-action clips for the other pilots.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

The first two games I can't remember had some weird FMV clips going on. #1 had you in control of a futuristic supply/smuggler train on future train-tracks, in a trench, from a first person perspective. Some of the enemies, including one of the bosses, looked sort of like blue and green Milennium Falcon ripoffs, and you could switch tracks at certain points. Also, there was a sound test or something in the menu with a smiley face that said boomshakalaka and stuff.

This is Loadstar: The Legend of Tully Bodine.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
There is some game that I only can remember the opening part for. I believe it was an RPG for Super Nintendo. It was done with 2D Sprites like most RPG games were.

The game begins, and a character is in some sort of castle or dungeon. The place is on fire. You and a friend escape, and your friend uses a freeze spell to put out a blocking flame.

You escape the building and your friend mentions how his/her powers are weak so that is why he/she could only barely put out one flame.

That is all I remember. What game was this? I want to know.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Runaway Five posted:

There is some game that I only can remember the opening part for. I believe it was an RPG for Super Nintendo. It was done with 2D Sprites like most RPG games were.

The game begins, and a character is in some sort of castle or dungeon. The place is on fire. You and a friend escape, and your friend uses a freeze spell to put out a blocking flame.

You escape the building and your friend mentions how his/her powers are weak so that is why he/she could only barely put out one flame.

That is all I remember. What game was this? I want to know.

I'm almost positive that's the original Breath of Fire you're thinking of.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

Panic Restaurant posted:

WOW! Thank you so much.

I am happy now I know :D

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Panic Restaurant posted:

I'm actually positive it is. It's Sara who's using the spells to put out the fire in Drogan (I think that's the city). You then go up and fight a giant Frog in a castle and they build a statue of you.

I really love that game, and the sequel is one of the better RPGs of the 90s in my opinion.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
An old PC game, I must have played it about 10 years ago, think it was abandonware. Pretty bad graphics, third-person, sort of top-down perspective; there was stealth, levers that activated... something, maybe flying platforms, and I think you started with a striped prison uniform and had to get rid of it. For a long time, I thought it was called "Relent", but searching for that gives me nothing. Any idea?

Tarkhan
Feb 25, 2008

Logite posted:

I remember playing this shareware game that you could buy for $20 that was 2d-ish and had your spaceship and a few other opponents...you would shoot your projectiles from weak ones to stronger ones and the planets around you would affect the shot. Your opponents also typed text based insults out...it was a turn based strategy game that was totally awesome from what I can remember. I wanted to buy it so bad :(

I think it also had online play as well. I've been wanting to find this game for ages.

Warheads? It was a sort of Scorched Earth style game, where you took turns shooting at other players on different planets.

Theres still a shareware version kicking around at http://www.warheads.net/

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007

FrothyDawg posted:

Yes! I've been waiting for this thread to resurface!

There was this RTS I remember playing back in the late 90's. The game had some sort of medieval setting...and I believe it was developed in the UK. I recall it being pretty entertaining but all I remember from the actual gameplay was that the archers had a really distinct sound to them and the units walked around rather slowly. I know this is vague as gently caress but it's been driving me crazy for a while.

Anybody?

Joan of Arc?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Maha posted:

An old PC game, I must have played it about 10 years ago, think it was abandonware. Pretty bad graphics, third-person, sort of top-down perspective; there was stealth, levers that activated... something, maybe flying platforms, and I think you started with a striped prison uniform and had to get rid of it. For a long time, I thought it was called "Relent", but searching for that gives me nothing. Any idea?

Relentless in the US, or Twinsen's Adventure in Europe. Amazing, amazing game.

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster
Okay, this was a demo I played in the mid 90's, a side scrolling platform game where you were a wizard, all I can really remember is that you healed by drinking from water fountains. That's all I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Phatzilla posted:

It's not plasticine, but it's a la Abe's Oddyssey... Heart of Darkness?

• Locked thread